Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryan Stork (C) released by Pats

Sherlock Holmes

Stork definitely isn't getting a payday, we dealt for his rookie contract and that's part of the appeal for us. He has two more years on it, with his concussion issues he'd have to stay healthy and play lights out that whole time to get a real payday. 

Scots "football players" are usually motivated enough to know if they actually want to play. The longer this takes, the less optimistic I am that he still has the fire necessary to play this game.

edit. See post below. Glad to have him on board if his "fire" is still there

2 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

So how much does a C typically have to learn before he can be inserted into the lineup? Is it more so than other OL spots? This seems like a good move, though I suspect that it won't pay dividends in week 1. I think it might take a bit longer, and that assumes that he ends up becoming the starter which he might not.

Yeah actually quite a bit more learning. He needs to not only pickup the scheme but also is responsible for calling out plays to the other OL and well, he does have the ball in his hands and has to get it in the QBs hands which at the pro level isn't as easy as it sounds plus know how he can backup in pass protection without stepping on the QB. Guys don't turn around to look when dropping back in pass protection, they just backup and gotta do it that way. 

2 hours ago, Johns Bass said:

Yeah actually quite a bit more learning. He needs to not only pickup the scheme but also is responsible for calling out plays to the other OL and well, he does have the ball in his hands and has to get it in the QBs hands which at the pro level isn't as easy as it sounds plus know how he can backup in pass protection without stepping on the QB. Guys don't turn around to look when dropping back in pass protection, they just backup and gotta do it that way. 

That's traditionally true, but I wonder if it has to be so. For example, if Long is the guard... could he call out the protection until Stork gets up to speed? He's been practicing at center all Summer.

12 minutes ago, Burgold said:

That's traditionally true, but I wonder if it has to be so. For example, if Long is the guard... could he call out the protection until Stork gets up to speed? He's been practicing at center all Summer.

Good point, Long could do that if he's starting.  I'm sure Stork will pick up the calls pretty fast either way being a veteran with so many starts.

5 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

So how much does a C typically have to learn before he can be inserted into the lineup? Is it more so than other OL spots? This seems like a good move, though I suspect that it won't pay dividends in week 1. I think it might take a bit longer, and that assumes that he ends up becoming the starter which he might not.

If he doesn't get the starting nod over Kory by week 3 then this coaching staff has an unhealthy bias towards Kory. cause he is turrible!

I hope he shows up 100% mentally prepared and wants to be here. That he is pissed and wants redemption with a big chip on his shoulder. 

I don't want him to show up just because, needed the money, or whatever lame excuse. Of course i want him healthy, but come here to ball out or don't come at all.

Hell, if worse comes to worse? LG candidate. Less direct helmet hits than center. I love his size and nasty attitude but show up and beast out.

35 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

Wonder if he will be able to play in the last preseason game

Why not?

People are acting like he is coming in off the streets. He has been practicing and playing in games. Physically he is ready to go. 

Only part he needs to improve on is the mental aspect of the Redskins scheme. 

29 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Why not?

People are acting like he is coming in off the streets. He has been practicing and playing in games. Physically he is ready to go. 

And his attitude on the field. We all love aggressive players. But Stork has been out of line a couple of times this preseason. We dont want to see that carry over to real games where 15 yarders are a drive killer.

30 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Why not?

I get that..I'm more saying he's coming in on Sunday and our game is Thursday..kind of short notice

1 hour ago, RedBeast said:

Hell, if worse comes to worse? LG candidate. Less direct helmet hits than center. I love his size and nasty attitude but show up and beast out.

Granted, I'm a moron about NFL things like this. But it certainly sounds good, to me. 

(Although, don't Guards pull, sometimes?  Does he do that?)

I could be wrong, but I think it would be really odd to have a guard calling out your signals.  I expect Stork to stay at center and make the calls.

I really think people are overstating how hard it will be for Stork to get up to speed.  I expect Kirk to call out the protection he wants, Stork to relay it, then the line to communicate amongst themselves to get it right.  Everyone acts like he's trying to teach calculus to a baby giraffe.  

I expect him to get some reps on Thursday.  Hail.  

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

And his attitude on the field. We all love aggressive players. But Stork has been out of line a couple of times this preseason. We dont want to see that carry over to real games where 15 yarders are a drive killer.

Personally, I love his nastiness!  That's exactly what our Line needs.  Of course #71 is no one's punk, but I personally believe that having a 'bad guy' among your Blockers sets a helluva tone for the Offense.  With him, Trent, & Pierre, I see the fellas playing with some serious edge on Sundays.  I like that!

(and naturally, I don't want him collecting Personal Foul calls like stamps either)

Archived