Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryan Stork (C) released by Pats

Sherlock Holmes

I feel like I jinxed us on this.  My family attended Redskins Rides this weekend and out comes Leribeus to sign and I instructed the wife that we don't need his autograph, he'll be cut soon. 

Friday night only confirmed what many of us have known for some time now, Steiger can't play.  When my wife asks "why is our guy in the middle getting pushed so far back, so fast like that?" there is a real problem. 

2 hours ago, ddub52 said:

Could he have done this on purpose in order to avoid playing for us?

More likely is the team used this to easily rescind the trade after deciding maybe he isn't the best cultural fit.

Or, even more likely, this dude's head needs a break.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Inserts another entry into the ES lexicon, to accompany the famous "paloffs". :)

Larry, I served with the paloffs post. I've quoted the paloffs post. The paloffs post was a friend of mine. Super blow, you're no Jack Ken... I mean paloffs post. 

btw -- why did extremeskins.com the URL die? For $10-12 a year, it could redirect to here.

Probably the best for everyone involved. Not sure if this is brain related, or if that's even possible to detect at a physical. It always seemed like this guy was one hit away from retirement anyways. Might be a blessing in disguise for him, so he doesn't end up being the next Mike Webster off the field. Could've been a double whammy since we didn't draft a center this year like I had hoped. 

22 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Any current or former C's/OLs in the house...

Post snap, how many different things does a center have to learn? 

10, 50, 100, 200?  Ballpark number.

Pass Run. pull right, pull left, double... help. 

I am trying to get a feel for how many different things Stork or any new C has to learn.  Sure, the things asked of a new player can be dialed back and gradually built upon, or as I contend, think new players walking to the line can ask the guy next to them for help. 

C isn't as bad as many make it out to be. The playbook is a little easier compared to the rest of the line because of symmetry. You learn one basic set of plays with your assignment flip-flopping depending on the direction the play goes. Of course there are exceptions, but it amounts to you having to memorize roughly half the assignments your OL counterparts do (this observation based on playing both T and C).

Post-snap you have to do the same things your OL counterparts do, including pulls, traps, double-team, pass pro etc. Think of those as modular pieces and the plays in the playbook as the places those pieces are plugged in. The play names are sometimes designed intuitively so you can hear the whole thing called out and know your assignment based on that. So, the tough part is memorizing the playbook. 

Pre-snap line calls are really not as complicated as some may think. You are really just making adjustments to the blocking assignments (i.e. the modular plug-ins) for the called play and may not need to adjust it at all. You're given that role since you are in the best spot to see the front you're facing; well, the 2nd best spot - the QB is in the best position for that, which is why Kirk could make line calls without it being a big deal last year.

For Stork, if one of the Gs has been playing at C, that G could have given him the assignment in the huddle until he got it down, just like you said RandyHolt. In a pinch he could have played and gotten away with it.

Edited because now I see Stork isn't coming here.

Back to my regularly scheduled Kory Lichtensteiger death-watch. I'm telling you LeRibeus is going to be starting at some point this season. 

1 hour ago, MassSkinsFan said:

C isn't as bad as many make it out to be. ..

That's what I was hoping for / theorizing all along, as I was trying to be optimistic of our shiny new broken and now returned for full refund toy contributing right away.  A new QB can come in off the street and be in the game a week later. Coaches just need to adjust.

I have long believed LT to be considered the hardest job on the OL; by far - being on an island and all. RT not far behind. And whoever is lined up against JJ F'in Watt.

But I have never heard of a vet OL struggling to learn and know plays on new teams. It's probably happened plenty of times and we don't know. Maybe a few times I heard about a rook OL struggling with a playbook. It's their livelihood - stare at the new playbook for a week straight. One QB crunched, it could be career over.

Thanks MSF for sharing your insights/experience.

/thread

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

That's what I was hoping for / theorizing all along, as I was trying to be optimistic of our shiny new broken and now returned for full refund toy contributing right away.  A new QB can come in off the street and be in the game a week later. Coaches just need to adjust.

Yeah but the way they adjust to a new QB they pull in off the street or a rookie new to the system is by drastically paring back the play book. They have to spoon feed and focus on a defined set of plays and gradually build from there. That limits your offense and makes you more predictable once teams get film of you and easier to defend against.

Thats fine if that new QB is your only option because of injury - it is what it is in that situation. But if its a question of pulling a veteran in your system who has full command mentally of the offense for a guy you just brought in there had better be a significant gap in physical ability to make that switch worthwhile.

All moot now anyway. 

20 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I have long believed LT to be considered the hardest job on the OL; by far - being on an island and all. RT not far behind. And whoever is lined up against JJ F'in Watt.

But I have never heard of a vet OL struggling to learn and know plays on new teams. It's probably happened plenty of times and we don't know. Maybe a few times I heard about a rook OL struggling with a playbook. It's their livelihood - stare at the new playbook for a week straight. One QB crunched, it could be career over.

Thanks MSF for sharing your insights/experience.

/thread

Brian de la Puente last year for Washington. A vet with a solid background struggled & didn't play. Just sayin' it does happen.

2 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

C isn't as bad as many make it out to be. The playbook is a little easier compared to the rest of the line because of symmetry. You learn one basic set of plays with your assignment flip-flopping depending on the direction the play goes. Of course there are exceptions, but it amounts to you having to memorize roughly half the assignments your OL counterparts do (this observation based on playing both T and C).

Pre-snap line calls are really not as complicated as some may think. You are really just making adjustments to the blocking assignments (i.e. the modular plug-ins) for the called play and may not need to adjust it at all. You're given that role since you are in the best spot to see the front you're facing; well, the 2nd best spot - the QB is in the best position for that, which is why Kirk could make line calls without it being a big deal last year.

I agree with this to some extend MSF. Sure, the playbook is easier, but at the same time, playbook for OL is not that hard to get, and I doubt there's much change from one team to another... Overall, playbooks tends to be the same, besides, terminology. As Norman said, whatever the playbook, the number of routes for a WR is limited to 7 (IIRC).

Still, C isn't as easy as it seems, as it's much more than just snaping the ball, stand up and block a 300+ lbs guy that just wants to kick your ass. Reading D isn't that easy, especially at the NFL level I believe. And this without forgetting the snap count... We all know that hey :)

Now we're just scratching the mental aspect of the C position which is probably the hardest on the line for me, for this part of the game. Physical aspect is another matter.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I agree with this to some extend MSF. Sure, the playbook is easier, but at the same time, playbook for OL is not that hard to get, and I doubt there's much change from one team to another... Overall, playbooks tends to be the same, besides, terminology. As Norman said, whatever the playbook, the number of routes for a WR is limited to 7 (IIRC).

Most WR route trees have 9 routes - all with multiple sight adjustments depending on the specific scheme and based on coverage and the action of one of two key defenders.

On the O'Line I also doubt there is much change in the responsibilities or blocks/protections from one team to another, but the language for them will differ. Again the 1985 49ers had over 60 blocking responsibilities each with a name and number.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Still, C isn't as easy as it seems, as it's much more than just snaping the ball, stand up and block a 300+ lbs guy that just wants to kick your ass. Reading D isn't that easy, especially at the NFL level I believe. And this without forgetting the snap count... We all know that hey :)

Now we're just scratching the mental aspect of the C position which is probably the hardest on the line for me, for this part of the game. Physical aspect is another matter.

I never forgot a snap count :rofl89:

Sorry - this was the Reader's Digest version. I saw the reads get tougher from HS to college and can only surmise they're a factor of 10 tougher going from college to pro. I'd never denigrate the intellect of a fellow center - just saying it's not rocket science!

Of course I agree with you that there are certain mental aspects unique to that OL role, including things like snapping in shotgun accurately every time, snapping to a RB out of shotgun, snapping and pulling (that one is kind of like playing bass and singing at the same time), etc. That could be it's own thread.

3 hours ago, Johns Bass said:

Brian de la Puente last year for Washington. A vet with a solid background struggled & didn't play. Just sayin' it does happen.

Could be he got his ass handed to him on the practice field. Or it could be learning the plays. I didn't hear why he didn't make the team - did you?

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Most WR route trees have 9 routes - all with multiple sight adjustments depending on the specific scheme and based on coverage and the action of one of two key defenders.

On the O'Line I also doubt there is much change in the responsibilities or blocks/protections from one team to another, but the language for them will differ. Again the 1985 49ers had over 60 blocking responsibilities each with a name and number.

Those 60 assignments were probably like route trees - basic actions with certain variations.It's gotta be - tackles can't count to 60 can they?

Could be he got his ass handed to him on the practice field. Or it could be learning the plays. I didn't hear why he didn't make the team - did you?

One of the bigger mysteries from last year. Many other fans were wondering aloud also. He was 30, on the roster for 5 games and could certainly could snap better than Josh and block better than Kory. Maybe his ankle flared up but he's still an FA this year and I would think the ankle is/should be healed by now (it's been two years) but maybe not, maybe permanent IDK. Considering the current state of affairs I would think that the Redskins would've rang him up by now for at least a physical unless there are some kinda other issues.

This is interesting, given events.

Not sure if he'd be so cheap
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1088824

Report: Vikings looking to trade Sullivan
w768xh576_GettyImages-457986210.jpg

The Minnesota Vikings are reportedly looking to deal from a position of strength in advance of the regular season.

Now healthy after making his return from a 2015 campaign lost entirely to injury, the Vikings are attempting to trade center John Sullivan, Tom Pelissero of USA Today Sports reports.

Sullivan, a ninth-year veteran, has long been a key contributor on the Vikings' interior offensive front. After a strong season from Joe Berger in his place, though, the Vikings evidently consider the 31-year-old to be expendable.

Sullivan started every game...

More at link above.

~Bang

Archived