Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

51 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Ioannidis has been making plays, clogging holes and eating up lineman, I've heard nothing but good things about him. Not all Dlineman are made to just sack the QB, some just have the job of eating up lineman and opening up things for the rest of the line, and playing good on run D. What have you been watching?

Ionnadis is going to be odd man out.  Hood should make the team, Jenkins just got signed and there's been no discontent with Reyes, meanwhile Lanier has played better than Ionnadis

10 minutes ago, carex said:

Ionnadis is going to be odd man out.  Hood should make the team, Jenkins just got signed and there's been no discontent with Reyes, meanwhile Lanier has played better than Ionnadis

Ioannidis is not going anywhere. The guy has played well in preseason. He has done what he was told to do. His job is not to make headlines and get his number called. It's to eat up space to free up the other guys. He is still a rookie and needs some work, but it's way too early to just give up on him.

Cullen Jenkins looked good last night.  Veteran with fresh legs against nobody, but he had a couple of nice plays.  He had one big hit that I remember, plus the sack.  I think he'll bring a gritty veteran toughness to the group.

22 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Ioannidis is not going anywhere. The guy has played well in preseason. He has done what he was told to do. His job is not to make headlines and get his number called. It's to eat up space to free up the other guys. He is still a rookie and needs some work, but it's way too early to just give up on him.

Hopefully they don't cut the only D'Lineman drafted since Chris Neild and Jarvis Jenkins in 2011.  Matt looked good last night making a few plays as well.

Hope we don't try to put Nate Nasty on the PS.  Someone will grab him.  I've been looking for a rEason to cut Ross all preseason, but even #13 hadn't done enough to take his spot, despite the fumbles and almost fumbles by Ross.  That's a helluva risk we'really taking keeping him back there after this preseason, wow, very wow.

You have to think Everett earned a roster spot this preseason. I just cant see him making through to the practice squad this year. Mack Brown earned a spot as well. Keeping 4 RB's is going to make it difficult to keep Paulsen. And I have no idea what position is going to be shorted to keep an extra safety. Some interesting cuts coming up for sure.

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You have to think Everett earned a roster spot this preseason. I just cant see him making through to the practice squad this year. Mack Brown earned a spot as well. Keeping 4 RB's is going to make it difficult to keep Paulsen. And I have no idea what position is going to be shorted to keep an extra safety. Some interesting cuts coming up for sure.

Paulson is average. Now that Vernon Davis has proven himself willing and able to block and we know Niles Paul can block, I think we just keep 3 TEs. Don't forget we have Carrier stashed on IR with him slated to return once healthy. That allows us to take this risk.

Would love to keep 4 RBs. Both starters (Jones and Thompson) have injury issues and the two young bucks look too good to risk on the practice squad.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Hope we don't try to put Nate Nasty on the PS.  Someone will grab him.  I've been looking for a rEason to cut Ross all preseason, but even #13 hadn't done enough to take his spot, despite the fumbles and almost fumbles by Ross.  That's a helluva risk we'really taking keeping him back there after this preseason, wow, very wow.

Not to mention, Ross is the only KR we have that's worth anything. I think that reason alone guarantees his roster spot.

His KR average was pretty good last year, he was #6 in KR yards, and #11 in yards per return, with 24.4. There has been nobody else at the KR position that has shown anything in the ps or camp (as far as I've read) and I think he gets it by default.

I'm a little disappointed they couldn't find a good kr/pr this offseason either with a late draft pick or fa guy trying to make a team.

Crowder is a great slot guy, awful PR guy.

A couple strong reconfirmations after last night's game:

-Kelley is the best RB on the team. He possesses vision and decisiveness that Jones doesn't. Also, has the fall forwardness of Alf.

-Trail needs to make this roster. He's raw, but he's a beast. He tossed around every OL he went up against, was always one of the first guys down there on punt coverage, and he's the one who caused the non-TD fumble recovery. 

-Dunbar or Everett? Going into the season I assumed Dunbar was an absolute lock. After one year at CB under his belt, I thought he would take a strong sophomore leap. But, he's looked like the worst d-back on the team and if there were no names on jerseys, he wouldn't have a chance. Just tough to let a young, long, 4.4-40 CB walk... Everett is our best gunner.

-Upper management makes me happy. Cutting ties with Paea & Riley and giving older vets Hood & Toler roster spots before the 4th game shows respect both ways. Not to mention the fact that the decisions were the right ones.

-Effing LeRibs... he had to go out there and look really good last night, didn't he? Right after I was ready to officially write him off. I don't like putting a ton of stock into the 4th preseason game, but it certainly throws a curveball in the decision making process. 

-Fuller- what a steal in the 3rd round

-Ihenacho > Bruton. We got Bruton in FA because we all but promised him the starting job. It will only be a matter of time before Ihenacho wins the spot back. It's also tough to say that DHall is a better option than Blackmon on the other side.

-Wish we could have gotten a better look at the WRs last night. Ross may have kept his job with the TD catch, but I'd have no problem if we went with Thorpe/Thompkins instead.

-Spaight and Cravens were everywhere; watch out once they get a little more seasoning. Lanier is going to make the team. Cut Murphy- he did fine last night, but overall we know he brings very little to the table. Paulsen is gone. Ionnidis made a good play late, but overall he's looking like a boy among men.

BRING ON THE STEELERS! HTTR

56 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Paulsen is a good blocker and has shown in past he can make clutch catch.

Last night's rain hurt his chances, but I think they have to keep 4 TE's including one who can block.

Skins overloaded at DB.  Can't afford to keep 11.

I think the question is three TE vs 4 and 3 RB vs. 4. Kelley could be the wild card as he played FB at Tulane and blocking is also his calling card.

1 minute ago, Darth Tater said:

I know at least one guy is  going to be cut that I don't think we can cut.  I think many of us can think of guys in the 40-50 range that we think can't be cut, I wonder who those guys are? 

Cousins?

I kid, but that would be the ultimate kick in the teeth. I think the most unlikely one that I would hate to see would be Niles Paul. He's been pretty invisible this preseason and if they decide they value blocking more than pass catching it could go against him. Paulson vs. Paul in terms of special teams might not be all that far off either.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Cousins?

I kid, but that would be the ultimate kick in the teeth. I think the most unlikely one that I would hate to see would be Niles Paul. He's been pretty invisible this preseason and if they decide they value blocking more than pass catching it could go against him. Paulson vs. Paul in terms of special teams might not be all that far off either.

Nah, Paul is in no danger.

He made the trip to Florida last night, but he didn't play. Just there in case injuries forced him to take the field. Like several other veterans.

I think his position is secure.

I don't think you can justify keeping 6 WRs AND 4 TEs. One or the other. I'd rather go 6 WRs and 3 TEs though preferably 5 and 3 respectively. I'd rather have more bodies on the lines which is where guys tend to get hurt more. Paulsen isn't worth keeping because he's no receiving threat at all, doesn't matter if he can block if the other team knows we're gonna run as soon as he's in. With Paul and Davis we have legit receiving threats that can also block.

RB wise we absolutely have to keep Brown and Kelley. I'm fine with 4 RBs because Jones and Thompson are so injury prone and RB in general is an injury prone position.

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Cousins?

Your joke about Cousins is why I made sure I said something about it being a guy in the 40-50 range.  Cousins is in the top 22 at least and it would be a shock to see a guy in my top 30, maybe even 40, to get the axe. :rofl89:

Paulsen, with his drops, is someone who IMO lost his roster last night.  I'm really liking both Kelley and Brown.  If we were to keep only 3 RB's, I'd rather they cut the always injured Chris Thompson, although I doubt that happens.  Deshazor Everrett made some plays out there, but right now he's the 5th safety and I don't see them keeping him over Dunbar.  Dunbar performed too well in real action last year to give up on him because of his lackluster showing this preseason.  Unless if he has really looked bad all throughout training camp, which I don't know.  Love Garvin (#52).  He's long, athletic and is flying around on special teams.  Hopefully he makes it.  DL cuts should be interesting also.  Lanier(72) looks promising and has great length.  Pulling for him to make the team.  Ionnidis made a nice short yardage run stop in the game, but barely played for some reason.  Trent Murphy is JAG and I wouldn't be surprised if we decided to move on from him, as he provides little/no upside and we already know what he is, which is very underwhelming.  

I'm interested to see who we cut and if any other teams pick them up.  We always seem to more or less overvalue some of our fringe players but if they do get picked up by other teams, that's an indicator that the league has also taken notice of the upgrade of our depth/talent, and not just us delusional fans lol.  

4 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Ioannidis has been making plays, clogging holes and eating up lineman, I've heard nothing but good things about him. Not all Dlineman are made to just sack the QB, some just have the job of eating up lineman and opening up things for the rest of the line, and playing good on run D. What have you been watching?

Ioannidis will end up on the practice squad, which is fine for a 5th round pick.  I was discussing him in the context of this year's draft class to last year's draft class.  Last year, it seemed SM found us some late round gems.  This year, that doesn't appear to be the case.  Of course, it's too early to tell at this point.  Injuries have played a role for sure.  I hope Ioannidis develops into a solid player for us.  

27 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Ioannidis will end up on the practice squad, which is fine for a 5th round pick.  I was discussing him in the context of this year's draft class to last year's draft class.  Last year, it seemed SM found us some late round gems.  This year, that doesn't appear to be the case.  Of course, it's too early to tell at this point.  Injuries have played a role for sure.  I hope Ioannidis develops into a solid player for us.  

I kind of agree. If we're sticking to the definition of late-round, then yes, it's quite possible he whiffed this year (although, I'm holding out hope that Daniels can have a Spaight-like comeback). But, I believe Scot should get just as much credit, if not more if he brings in an undrafted FA that works out. Right now it looks like Lanier and Kelley will make the active 53 and could very well end up as starters by the end of the year.

I'd cut these guys for sure.

1. Logan Paulson - It's basically between him and Niles Paul as to who should be the 3rd TE. I wouldn't keep 4 here. Both of these guys I'm not too thrilled about. One can block, one plays exceptionally well on Special Teams. Neither are really a catching threat. Based on need, I'm likely to say the guy that plays Special Teams should win the job.

2. Nate Sudfeld - I don't think he should be on the 53 man roster. I'm okay with trying to get him on the Practice Squad, despite the risk that someone else might snatch him up. I thought he played decently but I'm not sure I want to keep 3 QBs and then be forced to cut some other position.

3. Trent Murphy - He's been in the league for 2 years, going into his 3rd year. I haven't seen much from him. He doesn't flash, he doesn't make plays that give you a glimmer of hope. If he's makes the team I'd imagine it's because he is solid but I don't see any upside with him.

4. Rashad Ross - I'd be okay with cutting him. I can see why we'd keep him though. We never saw what Doctson can do, while Ross has at least done something in the league. He also happens to be our kickoff returner.

5. Between Reiter, Long, and LeReb, I don't care if any of them are cut. I know they are all young, but based on what I hear, neither seem to be projected as more than "okay" moving forward. I think not having other options, means we keep all I suppose.

On a different note, I'd like to keep 4 running backs. I understand Thompson and Jones have played in the NFL while Kelly and Brown have only sniffed the preseason but I don't think any of these guys have cemented a position. 

Archived