Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

1 hour ago, carex said:

I feel like the whole BPA thing isn't working out at least this season.  Who knows when Doctson plays, Fuller is playing pretty good  but so has every one of our CBs, Ioanniddis seems like a PS guy, we don't want Sudfeld to do anything and Daniels and Marshall are hurt.  Cravens might be our best guy by process of elimination.

BPA is NOT about paying dividends because you found the one right player.  The guy or two who is a high end starter in his rookie year, although you don't mind it happening.  It is about building depth so you can let your expensive free agents walk, you can trade your best guys for great deals and injuries don't kill your season. The biggie is, of course, getting in the right position to catch the wave instead of waiting too long and getting no ride or starting too soon and getting crushed.

Colt McCoy the best back up?

No.  If he was the best back up, he would be starter material for another team.

He signed back to back one year deals at near Vet Min.

He is not better than Jared Goff or even Prescott at this point. Carson Wentz, second over all pick this draft? He is a back up. 

Colt McCoy knows our system and if Cousins gets hurt, he can manage the offense. That's all he is. 

If Colt McCoy is our starter for more than 8 games, then forget about 2016.

8 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I like Scot...I like his philosophy...I prefer him over Vinny and Bruce.....but....If you look at it, his drafting and free agency over 2 years has been mediocre

Just about every free agent signing has not worked out....I'm not giving him credit for Norman...we all know that Dan/Vinny/Bruce would have signed him.

Draft wise....Scherff over Leonard Williams.....Matt Jones in the 3rd round when there were better RB's available, such as Jeremy Langford....this year he gave away our 4th round pick when there were quality RB's available like Kenneth Dixon and Devontae Booker

Neglecting our needs this off-season.

Hopefully it works out.

We can cherry pick and make any GM look bad.   As Parcells likes to say if you as a GM bat anywhere near 500, they are doing great.  

Preston Smith taken in the 2nd round looks better than any of the first round pass rushers taken last year -- that pick IMO was Gold.

Jamison Crowder is the 4th round is looking like a gem pick, too.

As for Scherff -- often O lineman take a year or two shine but he's at least a good player at the moment.  Not a bust.    With Matt Jones in the third round, will wait and see.  Looks like Spaight is a beast in the preseason and ends up as a good late round find.  How many more hits do we expect in one draft?  Most say if you pull 2-3 starters out of draft, its a good one.  Well, we already have 4 starters out of the draft.

As for this draft, Cravens looks like a beast.  We haven't seen Doctson, yet.  Fuller's been solid.  In the process we picked up 3 picks for next years draft.  Scott himself said he doesn't trust free agency and its a risk.  Not too many teams do strike it big in FA.   We've mostly gone with low-medium cost FAs where you can cut bait easily.  Norman being the exception.  Reyes might not be a good signing but he didn't cost much.  Hood looks like a good signing on the cheap.    We also got Toler, Mason Foster, Hopkins on the cheap.  Yeah some bad FAs signings in that mix, too.  But if you shop in the FA cheap aisle -- you are going to have some misses with the hits.  

9 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I like Scot...I like his philosophy...I prefer him over Vinny and Bruce.....but....If you look at it, his drafting and free agency over 2 years has been mediocre

We had one season with him. In ONE season he took a team that won 7 games in 2 years and we took first place in our division.

So, one of the worst teams in the league, suddenly becomes very competitive and does so, by bringing in short term FAs in ways that actually HELPED our cap numbers, to the point of resigning 3 of our own home grown guys and allows us to let guys walk and new ones come in, until we can use the draft to rebuild all the pieces and you think that is the definition of mediocre?

Almost every player in last years draft was a hit. Even the late round guys. The players we drafted this year, not one was expected to be a starter. That is a one year turn around. That is excellent, not mediocre.

I gotta know. What is your definition of "good"? What would have needed to happen to a team that won 7 games in 2 years, for you to consider "Good"?

Have you even paid attention to the roster turn over we've had? 

9 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Just about every free agent signing has not worked out....I'm not giving him credit for Norman...we all know that Dan/Vinny/Bruce would have signed him.

Draft wise....Scherff over Leonard Williams.....Matt Jones in the 3rd round when there were better RB's available, such as Jeremy Langford....this year he gave away our 4th round pick when there were quality RB's available like Kenneth Dixon and Devontae Booker

Neglecting our needs this off-season.

Hopefully it works out.

Pretty short-sighted post imo.

Could you imagine our OL without Scherff right now, especially with the problems at C and RT (Grabby McGrabhands, I like Moses but man he holds alot)

I think Scot has raised the talent level of the roster significantly, but he seems to have a knack for getting DB's late that can play.

Matt Jones doesn't look like he was worth it in the 3rd, but who knows.

Overall I'd give Scot's drafts a good to great rating based off what we've seen so far.

We'll know alot more about this year's draft at the end of the season. Nobody saw Jarrett be the force he turned out to be last year during the ps, and I think similar guys will step up this year that we never saw coming.

You can't deny the talent of guys like Cravens, Doctson, Fuller, etc. Give them a chance to play and see what they can do before passing judgment. Let me guess, you're one of those guys who thinks Prescott is the real deal based on his 2 ps games?

* forgot to add, I fully expect Paea to be gone.. he isn't making the 53. overpaid and relegated to 3rd team duty in the ps.. Jenkins signing is Paea's pink slip.

I think we all agree that Paea and Riley need to go- overpaid backups. Am I the only one who thinks Trent Murphy has to go? He's proven to be sub-par at every position he's played. I appreciate the "high motor" thing, but when that motor only has 4 cylinders, it doesn't win. I'd rather keep Houston Bates and Lyndon Trail as the OLB backups. 

12 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We can cherry pick and make any GM look bad.   As Parcells likes to say if you as a GM bat anywhere near 500, they are doing great.  

Preston Smith taken in the 2nd round looks better than any of the first round pass rushers taken last year -- that pick IMO was Gold.

Jamison Crowder is the 4th round is looking like a gem pick, too.

As for Scherff -- often O lineman take a year or two shine but he's at least a good player at the moment.  Not a bust.    With Matt Jones in the third round, will wait and see.  Looks like Spaight is a beast in the preseason and ends up as a good late round find.  How many more hits do we expect in one draft?  Most say if you pull 2-3 starters out of draft, its a good one.  Well, we already have 4 starters out of the draft.

As for this draft, Cravens looks like a beast.  We haven't seen Doctson, yet.  Fuller's been solid.  In the process we picked up 3 picks for next years draft.  Scott himself said he doesn't trust free agency and its a risk.  Not too many teams do strike it big in FA.   We've mostly gone with low-medium cost FAs where you can cut bait easily.  Norman being the exception.  Reyes might not be a good signing but he didn't cost much.  Hood looks like a good signing on the cheap.    We also got Toler, Mason Foster, Hopkins on the cheap.  Yeah some bad FAs signings in that mix, too.  But if you shop in the FA cheap aisle -- you are going to have some misses with the hits.  

And don't forget about Kyshoen Jarrett who probably would of been our starter at SS if not for his injury, Dashaun Phillips who might be our starting slot cb and Will Blackmon who is very solid as well. I'm probably forgetting somebody else. Scot is the best GM in the NFL. Glad he's on our side.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000692305/article/week-3-preseason-grades-nfc-ezekiel-elliott-shines-in-debut

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Kendall Fuller, cornerback. The Redskins made out like bandits on draft day when they were able to pluck a legitimate CB1 prospect in the third round. Fuller is starting to look the part of a ballhawk with terrific instincts and awareness. Sure, his interception against the Bills on Friday came on a desperation play in the game's closing moments, but his solid coverage also netted a breakup earlier in the contest. As Fuller settles into his role as the team's nickel/dime corner, the Redskins could see the Virginia Tech product grow into a playmaker by the end of his rookie season. GRADE: B

https://www.dchotread.com/2016/08/15/in-focus-mike-linebacker

The thing nobody really knows at this point is just how good Spaight can be. If early indications are anything – look out! The early signs are very encouraging after losing much of his rookie year to a concussion. 

Oh and I forgot to mention Quinton Dunbar in my last post...

Andy Benoit @Andy_Benoit
#Redskins notes: wouldn’t be surprised of Dunbar ultimately becomes the No. 2 CB. Is very good along the boundary.

Redskins are building a young powerhouse that will be a contender for years to come!

8 hours ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Colt McCoy the best back up?

No.  If he was the best back up, he would be starter material for another team.

He signed back to back one year deals at near Vet Min.

He is not better than Jared Goff or even Prescott at this point. Carson Wentz, second over all pick this draft? He is a back up. 

Being the best backup has ZIPPY to do with talent.  He's been in this offense for quite awhile now and knows the correct decisions to make.  If he went to another team right now, he wouldn't be considered a top backup.  He's considered a top backup because he's got the knowledge of the offense, the tools and skill set to lead this offense just in case we lose our starter.

Redskins are building a young powerhouse that will be a contender for years to come!

The defense and offense will both be EXPLOSIVE this upcoming season and the special teams unit with one of the better long snappers, kickers, and punters will be great as well. Crowder should be a good punt returner for us and Ross kick returner. Excited for the season to start!

https://www.dchotread.com/2016/06/17/redskins-attacking-more

“We’re going to take a big jump,” Redskins inside linebacker Will Compton told me on Wednesday. He’s right. Of course they will. 

However, he was talking specifically about an element that hasn’t received much attention. The Redskins will be able to blitz a lot more and in more creative ways because they know their secondary can hold up a lot better in coverage. 

https://www.dchotread.com/2016/06/09/redskins-defense-digs-in

I strongly, strongly believe you will see a LOT more corner and safety blitzes along with a continued attack on the “A” gap from either or both sides of the center. This can be from the linebacker level or the safeties, but you will see it a good deal. I promise you. 

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/29/nfl-washington-redskins-2016-scouting-report-kirk-cousins

Plus there’s second-round rookie Su’a Cravensjoining the mix. In him Washington could have a nickel/dime linebacker who plays the run, blitzes and covers. That will greatly expand the disguise tactics that coordinator Joe Barrypresumably wants to employ. (Barry came over from San Diego, where he worked under coordinator John Pagano, one of the game’s preeminent disguise artists.)

Washington has one of the four best-designed offenses in the NFL. (The other three, in no particular order: New England, Kansas City and New Orleans.) Washington’s features a wide array of formations that consistently set up both run and pass concepts—plus mixtures of both, as its play-action game is the best in the league. So many of the plays start out looking the same, and the deception slows down defenders.

I really don't want to get into an argument about GMSM.....I like the guy and his track record.....I'd take him over Vinny and Bruce, obviously......but I think many fans are not looking at things clearly....you're so happy that Vinny/Bruce aren't making decisions; that you will give GMSM the benefit of the doubt.

Quite disappointed in Paea, had hoped he'd bounce back and upwards.  It is what it is though, and either he was so bad he needed to go, or the rest of the unit is quietly good enough to do well without him.

Riley is similarly disappointing, but he's never fully come along.  His end has seemingly been in the pipeline for a while, so not too sad about him.

5 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I really don't want to get into an argument about GMSM.....I like the guy and his track record.....I'd take him over Vinny and Bruce, obviously......but I think many fans are not looking at things clearly....you're so happy that Vinny/Bruce aren't making decisions; that you will give GMSM the benefit of the doubt.

Please read this article, you may change your mind.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

Just now, 98ORAKPO98 said:

I said that I liked Scot and his track record.....that article has nothing to do with his time in DC......you need to look at what he's done since he got here....it's been a mixed bag...at best.....and for those giving him credit for last year.....Cousins was the main difference

9 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Well, we knew Paea would be cut. Riley isn't a surprise either. Get their dead money hits out of the way this year while we have the room.

Are we keeping 3 quarterbacks?

If so, I would rather develop Zach Mettenberger who is getting cut by SD today. Better than Suddy

Don't know about that, if Suddy plays well tomorrow, he has actually done well this pre season.  Hell if he was on the Cowboys team the way he has played so far their fans would think they have the best backup to Dak...hahahahahaha

35 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

...and for those giving him credit for last year.....Cousins was the main difference

I 100% disagree.  The offensive line was the main difference.  The oline was the difference because of our top pick.  If we went with Williams, I don't think we would have made the playoffs and Kirk may have been benched before the TB come-back game.  We all have opinions.  I think more people on this board will agree with me than you. 

5 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

I 100% disagree.  The offensive line was the main difference.  The oline was the difference because of our top pick.  If we went with Williams, I don't think we would have made the playoffs and Kirk may have been benched before the TB come-back game.  We all have opinions.  I think more people on this board will agree with me than you. 

I like Scherff...he's a good player...maybe he'll become a pro bowl caliber Guard, but right now he's just good.....to say he was the difference is ridiculous...no offence....Leonard Williams would have had a bigger impact...SM could have found a decent Guard later in the draft or free agency that would have been comparable to what Scherff did last year.

1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I like Scherff...he's a good player...maybe he'll become a pro bowl caliber Guard, but right now he's just good.....to say he was the difference is ridiculous...no offence....Leonard Williams would have had a bigger impact...SM could have found a decent Guard later in the draft or free agency that would have been comparable to what Scherff did last year.

I have struggled with this myself, especially since Scherff was moved to Guard instead of RT which is what we thought we were drafting.  But you know what?  He and Moses, make a very solid right side of the line.  Hell look what we are going thru right now trying to find a LG to play along Trent. 

Bottom line is we had so many holes on this team that we can't really expect Scott to fix everything in two drafts.  Believe me I had issues with him drafting Doctson instead of DL, and I got real hot when we passed on Billings when he dropped to the 4th round.  But tell me how awesome is it to have a GM who at least improves the team every year instead of setting it back.

Archived