Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

46 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Well that would just be a debacle.

Three games of evidence is just not enough for this thread to be effective.  That last two pages are pure evidence of that.

This.  No derails.  But the fact that he was able to pull this off, and the results were excellent... that was huge.  Things like this take time.  And I would not be surprised if we were 7-9 or 8-8 this year, and I'd still say we were on course for greatness.

Folks need a big picture view.

my concern is that in his career Scot has never really hit it big with a DL, and Brandon Scherff seems to be the biggest OL.  With his history a DL or OL may have to be the top OL or DL in the draft period to be his BPA

3 hours ago, Area51 said:

Our team was a perennial loser, league laughing stock, with an owner who dictated and forced who the starting QB of our team is going to be.  In the first year under SM, we got rid of the huge distraction/disaster that was RGIII, Snyder is in the background, oh yeah...and we won the NFC East.  If you are not impressed with the tremendous change of direction he has lead this franchise in the short period time he has been here, idk what to tell you. 

Area51 is right on the money.  Not only do we have direction as a Franchise, but McCloughan is also instilling a distinct Philosiphy that The Redskins operate by, with little deviation.  The results have been that Ashburn has tended to its business in a competent, low key manner.  And The Washington Redskins have navigated themselves back into contention.

I am by no means saying that The Skins should start talking Title, it's just that now The Team is squarely in the mix.  Due to these results, many deserve credit, but none moreso than our GM.  Hell, even the press is starting to pivot away from the 'bumbling Redskins' thing.  The AP has Washington in its Top 10 (bottom righthand corner) and Pro Football Focus's radio show this morning picked Washington to repeat as champs.  [And just for kicks, Skins also got props here & here too.]

Sure that stuff could mean nothing, but it's worth noting that other League observers see that The Skins are rising too.  And a primary reason for The Franchise's ascension has to be Scot McCloughan.  

I do not know talent and/or scouting well enough to speculate on specific personnel moves.  But I can clearly see a new day dawning, & I am definitely excited.

32 minutes ago, carex said:

my concern is that in his career Scot has never really hit it big with a DL, and Brandon Scherff seems to be the biggest OL.  With his history a DL or OL may have to be the top OL or DL in the draft period to be his BPA

Wasn't he the one in charge when Justin Smith was signed and became what he became in the second stage of his career? 

Even if you're correct, I'll settle for a guy who needs a little luck on the DL if it means he's capable of drafting gems all over in the LB corps and the secondary.

10 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wasn't he the one in charge when Justin Smith was signed and became what he became in the second stage of his career? 

Even if you're correct, I'll settle for a guy who needs a little luck on the DL if it means he's capable of drafting gems all over in the LB corps and the secondary.

two years now he's had no luck, because he's barely touched them

1 minute ago, carex said:

two years now he's had no luck, because he's barely touched them

Small sample size, trying to fix a team with a ton of holes all over. I'll withhold judgement on the DL until there's more evidence.

13 minutes ago, zoony said:

It will be interesting to see how this years class pans out.  So far, doesnt look as strong as last year

I think it's hard to argue with this statement.  I think Cravens has flashed enough to feel good about him, and Fuller has showed some skill.  If Doctson shows out and the other two continue to improve, I'd feel good about the class.  I think Sudfeld was a nice pick as well.

The real bummer about this class is that our late round picks Daniels and Marshall are on IR.  And Ioannidis has been a total no show for me.  SM has been touted as the guy who can find late gems.  Not looking that way for this class, injuries or not.  

To be clear, this is not a dig at SM.  If MJones and Spaight pan out, I think the 2015 class will go down as one the best in a very long time.  

31 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Small sample size, trying to fix a team with a ton of holes all over. I'll withhold judgement on the DL until there's more evidence.

I'm referring to more than just his time here. I was looking around and the best DL he's been given credit for is  RJF. 

And even his UDFA's tend towards skill position players

16 hours ago, DC9 said:

BPA works out.  It's a long-term and big picture strategy.  Not a quick fix.

Relax just a little bit, fellas.  It's going to be okay.

We have a division championship in one year from it.

You know the season is right around the corner when everyone starts panicking. :ols: 

The nerves are creeping in big time. 

Listen, fellas.

Panicking about our run defense? Bills only put up 9 points the first half, three of which came after an INT and was no fault to the defense. Or does that not count? 

Panicking about Center? Oline still did pretty well opening up holes in the run game and Kirk still threw for three TDs. Or does none of that count? 

The team wasn't going to get completely fixed in two off seasons. So we don't have a good Center, a known commodity at RB, or an elite Dline? Few teams have no holes or weaknesses. The question is/will be how do we overcome them and what strengths do we use to do so? 

And we've got a lot more strengths than we've had in a long, long time. 

7 hours ago, DC9 said:

Well that would just be a debacle.

Three games of evidence is just not enough for this thread to be effective.  That last two pages are pure evidence of that.

This.  No derails.  But the fact that he was able to pull this off, and the results were excellent... that was huge.  Things like this take time.  And I would not be surprised if we were 7-9 or 8-8 this year, and I'd still say we were on course for greatness.

Folks need a big picture view.

I've maintained that that could easily he our record this year, yet I could see us being a better football team than last year. We are now the Hunted. Some dues still have to be paid.

In case anyone is interested in a break from all the GM talk, here's something I saw today on our roster situation:

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/26723/redskins-vets-logan-paulsen-rashad-ross-remain-on-bubble-entering-preseason-finale

(sorry about putting my thoughts inside of the quote box - I can't figure out how to edit it.  Keim's thoughts are in a different font than mine)

Tight end Logan Paulsen: It depends on the week, and who you talk to, as to whether or not he’ll stick around. Coaches like him and he's blocked well this summer. It’s not a lock that they’ll only keep three tight ends, but it will come down to whether or not they keep an extra player at one of these spots: running back (with the fourth a fullback), offensive line or defensive line.

Receiver Rashad Ross: He’s on the bubble after an uneven summer because of his hands, both as a receiver and punt returner. Has terrific speed, but if Josh Doctson is healthy to start the season, the Redskins would need a sixth receiver mostly as a special-teams guy. With the new kickoff rule giving teams possession at the 25 after a touchback -- and increasing the likelihood of players not bringing the ball out of the end zone -- it could reduce the need for a guy who mostly returns kickoffs

I'm pleased to see that these two guys are on the bubble.  I had originally assumed that Paulsen was very likely to make the roster given the injury history of our TE group, but as I said earlier in the thread - if we are going to keep so many pass catchers, I would like at least 3 of them to be developmental guys rather than NFL journeymen.  Out of the guys who are currently 100% locks to make the roster - Garcon, Jackson, Doctson, Crowder, Reed, Paul, and Davis - only 2 of them are younger than 26, and Doctson is a huge question mark since we haven't seen him actually take the field against NFL players (on the other hand, we can feel safer about Crowder's future given that he's looked good against actual NFL competition).

Grant is 25, Ross is 26, and Paulsen is 29.  Just looking at the reality of their ages and production to date, they are unlikely to ever become starters (Grant may still have a shot if he takes a huge leap this year).  I'm fine with keeping 1 of them, but would be upset if we kept all 3.  I'd like the guys further down on our depth chart to be projects with potential for upside (i.e. Deshaun Phillips / Dunbar last season).  If we're going to fill out the back end of our roster with fully-developed guys, I would rather they be older guys who have a decent amount of starting experience (i.e. Vernon Davis, Will Blackmon, Pierre Thomas, etc.) rather than guys who are older but haven't really done anything in the league (Ross, Paulsen).

Paulson is an excellent blocker and sure handed receiver. I think he makes the team. All he does, is everything asked of him.

Grant has looked great this PS. I'm excited to see him tonight. He'll be a starter next season I think, depending on if we keep DJax or Garcon.

Ross can go. He has bad hands and continues to fail to impress. I'd rather see one of the other WRs trying to make the team not dress on Sundays.

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, safe to guess Bruton, Duke and Everett at SS and Hall and Blackmon at FS are our starting safeties.

Bash, Norman, Fuller, Philips, Toler at CB?

Hate not finding a spot for Dunbar there, though. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Hate not finding a spot for Dunbar there, though. 

I do and I don't. Obviously, it means we're pretty good.

Toler just out played him, plain and simple. It was close, but Dunbar was inconsistent. You could argue age, but I'd rather have the better player.

I seriously doubt we keep 11 DBs.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, safe to guess Bruton, Duke and Everett at SS and Hall and Blackmon at FS are our starting safeties.

Bash, Norman, Fuller, Philips, Toler at CB?

I'm not sure Everett is a lock to make the roster. I also wonder if Blackmon is? You might lose one of them for Quinton. The question is how much upside do they imagine he has? Is he worth the gamble that he can continue to transition and become something really good? Then again, our defensive back corp is pretty young. If Dunbar emerges who does he eventually replace... It wouldn't be Breeland or Norman. He's older than Fuller. So, he's kind of stuck as that dime guy/special teams guy.

On 8/30/2016 at 6:41 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think it's hard to argue with this statement.  I think Cravens has flashed enough to feel good about him, and Fuller has showed some skill.  If Doctson shows out and the other two continue to improve, I'd feel good about the class.  I think Sudfeld was a nice pick as well.

The real bummer about this class is that our late round picks Daniels and Marshall are on IR.  And Ioannidis has been a total no show for me.  SM has been touted as the guy who can find late gems.  Not looking that way for this class, injuries or not.  

To be clear, this is not a dig at SM.  If MJones and Spaight pan out, I think the 2015 class will go down as one the best in a very long time.  

Ioannidis has been making plays, clogging holes and eating up lineman, I've heard nothing but good things about him. Not all Dlineman are made to just sack the QB, some just have the job of eating up lineman and opening up things for the rest of the line, and playing good on run D. What have you been watching?

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm not sure Everett is a lock to make the roster. I also wonder if Blackmon is? You might lose one of them for Quinton. The question is how much upside do they imagine he has? Is he worth the gamble that he can continue to transition and become something really good? Then again, our defensive back corp is pretty young. If Dunbar emerges who does he eventually replace... It wouldn't be Breeland or Norman. He's older than Fuller. So, he's kind of stuck as that dime guy/special teams guy.

Dunbar is a corner and hasn't come close to beating out the 5 in front of him.

I'd wager Everett is much better on teams, too, because he loves to hit.

Fuller and Philips are tied at the nickle, if Philips isn't slightly ahead and Toler has the dime on lock down.

I'd be dumbfounded if we kept 6 corners, especially when both our FSs were corners last year.

Everett is a true safety and that's where there's potential holes.

Archived