Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

42 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

It is really a dramatic change, I think maybe he was always a team player. But it looked as though and sounded as though he was selfish.

Yeah, like when he said he didn't care about the Redskins, he's just going where the money is?

There's not much to find negative in having a guy like Garcon on your offense, specifically at receiver. To me, he's always been the opposite of a diva. A fighter that came from a small school and still plays with a chip on his shoulder. Always happy to do the dirty work - the tough catches over the middle (and outside, i.e. game winner against Philly last year) and a physical runner and blocker. By all accounts he brings that same effort and attitude to every practice and that's a great thing to have around the younger receivers....the key is that Garcon isn't simply an aging vet who you keep to show the young guys the ropes and how to practice, he's still been highly productive. 

It sounds like everyone on here is on the same page as me: If you HAD to choose one you'd have taken DJax before the season - he still has elite speed, manipulates a defense, possesses great tracking ability and is a threat to score on every single play. But he's never been a guy you can count on to play 16 games and he's certainly proved that the past two seasons. He's only missed one game this year but he's come out of several games with issues and has been a question mark to play for a handful of games. He's more than matched his season production from last year and could conceivably break 1,000 yards if he turned on the juice the last couple games. 

But Garcon is much less of a question mark and is probably a safer bet with your money. You know what you're getting with him and his production level has been very consistent his entire career. If I HAD to choose right now I'd pick Garcon and I don't think we'll be fortunate enough to bring back both on team friendly deals in the offseason as much as I would love to given how well Cousins has proven he can spread the ball around. 

Factor in that we all are going to want Vernon Davis to stay and he'll likely incur a raise in the offseason, despite a lot of cap it will be very interesting to see how and where Scotty M invests it. I'd say Davis is a lock to return - they aren't going to let him get away given Reed and really all of our Tight End's injury history. Garcon and DJax are probably both 50/50 at absolute best. Doctson being a complete wash this year is their biggest saving grace. You really don't know what to expect of him next year and while I love Crowder and our Tight Ends, going in with Doctson/Crowder/Grant/Ross/Harris at receiver next year is terrifying....the drop off is drastic, you don't know if you can count on Doctson and Grant would be among the worst starting receivers in the league, bar none. 

There are going to be a lot of younger FA WR's in 2017 so I don't know if either Jackson or Garcon come back.  A guy like Kenny Stills can be a younger Jackson replacement if we go that route.  Personally, I'd love to see them make a big push for Terrelle Pryor, with Alshon Jeffery a fallback option.  The potential of Pryor, Doctson, Crowder and Reed on the field at the same time is really exciting.  

I really like Jackson, but if you only keep 1, at this point it's Garcon. He is more reliable, does the dirty work ,and will be cheaper. Not ot mention Kirk is getting better at being productive without Jackson in the game. Not saying Jackson has no value. Love what he brings. Just to me though, Garcon is a bigger help.

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

"pulling for Pryor"

He's an OSU guy and probably loyal to Hue Jackson, unfortunately. But I hope he hits the market. 

He's the kind of guy McCloughan would lIke. Former QB, leader, insane work ethic and in love with the sport.

My greatest fear is they sign Kirk Tina long term deal, let DJax and Garçon walk, and hope that Doctson and either Grant/Harris can start outside, because they can win with Crowder and Reed on the inside.

If they do this, I'll know that they have out-thought themselves.  It also sets Kirk up for failure.  

They NEED to keep either DJax or Garçon, or bring in guys who are legitimate starters.  And not trust Doctson to be that guy.  He's approaching the Player Who Shall Not Be Named...

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My greatest fear is they sign Kirk Tina long term deal, let DJax and Garçon walk, and hope that Doctson and either Grant/Harris can start outside, because they can win with Crowder and Reed on the inside.

If they do this, I'll know that they have out-thought themselves.  It also sets Kirk up for failure.  

They NEED to keep either DJax or Garçon, or bring in guys who are legitimate starters.  And not trust Doctson to be that guy.  He's approaching the Player Who Shall Not Be Named...

Of course they're keeping one.  I also think they add another via FA.

If they let both of them go, I gotta believe we're bringing in the top WR in FA.

I don't want to see them get cute.

They've said they want to put all the weapons around Kirk that they can. Offense is our B&B. 

Personally I'd be furious, but I could see a lot of offensive picks this year.

• TSO locked this topic

Archived