Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

8 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Here is something interesting...

Bears are reportedly shopping Alshon Jeffrey. You all know I wanted Josh Gordon (and would honestly still take him) for the big, outside YAC receivers.

I'd see what we could get for Garcon or Jackson and bring in Jeffrey. Love Jackson, but we are just not using him correctly.

Younger, bigger, better. Jeffrey and Doctson on the outside with Crowder/Reed in the slot is just nasty.

You live in a sad Madden fantasy world.

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You live in a sad Madden fantasy world.

Is that what it is, or is it thinking outside the box (typical Redskins box) to look for players that will help you win games which happen to be younger and better than what we have? A simple 'I disagree' would have done just fine 

On 10/25/2016 at 10:11 AM, SemperFi Skins said:

Here is something interesting...

Bears are reportedly shopping Alshon Jeffrey. You all know I wanted Josh Gordon (and would honestly still take him) for the big, outside YAC receivers.

I'd see what we could get for Garcon or Jackson and bring in Jeffrey. Love Jackson, but we are just not using him correctly.

Younger, bigger, better. Jeffrey and Doctson on the outside with Crowder/Reed in the slot is just nasty.

This is one of those times where I wonder what could happen if the NFL made trades like the NBA does, where expiring contracts inherently had trade value.

But Jeffrey always seems questionable to play every week. 

I don't agree with some of you guys on Ross.  I think with his speed he can run a few routes DJax runs. That is why I couldn't understand why he was inactive and JDax was playing with a bad shoulder.  Grant to me is possession receiver that most of the time can't catch the difficult passes which you need that type of receiver to catch.  He brings nothing to this team and his screw-ups have cost us games.

9 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

CJ Spiller is available again... amazing pass catching RB with crazy speed.

Karlos Williams can be snatched off the Steelers PS

but in all honesty, we roll with Kelley and Thompson. No need for another RB even if Jones is ailing for a game

going with only two active RB seems pretty risky.

8 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If he was amazing he would not have been cut twice in the past 6 weeks.

says the common fan... but  he is very, very good as a pass-catching RB, returner, etc. Couldn't learn the playbook in NO who overpaid for him, and CJ Prosise is healthy so Seahawks do not need him...

57 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

says the common fan... but  he is very, very good as a pass-catching RB, returner, etc. Couldn't learn the playbook in NO who overpaid for him, and CJ Prosise is healthy so Seahawks do not need him...

http://www.nfl.com/player/c.j.spiller/497204/profile

That guys have more fumbles than Matt Jones and is 29. Never been good since 2013 and is mostly injured.

And regarding pass catching RB, well we're fine with Thompson...

No thanks.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I wanted to look at my man Anthony Lanier who looked good in the game against Cincy.

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Anthony-Lanier-II-Takes-Advantage-Of-Opportunity-In-First-NFL-Game/246108c5-92e4-4dec-84db-ae415955bfc9

On 3rd-and-1 play with only a little more than a minute left in overtime, Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton attempted a quarterback sneak. The ball, however, was stripped out of his arms by defensive end

Chris Bakericon-article-link.gif and Lanier II then jumped on the ball, holding on despite being under a pile of players. 

I hope he gets more playing time. I still have hopes for Matt Ioannidis, but Lanier seems to have at least one more impact play at this point in their careers.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I wanted to look at my man Anthony Lanier who looked good in the game against Cincy.

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Anthony-Lanier-II-Takes-Advantage-Of-Opportunity-In-First-NFL-Game/246108c5-92e4-4dec-84db-ae415955bfc9

I hope he gets more playing time. I still have hopes for Matt Ioannidis, but Lanier seems to have at least one more impact play at this point in their careers.

Isn't Lanier more of an end?

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't remember that. Seems pretty odd though. I'd like to see both get more time. Matt is unmistakenly a D/NT. :ols:

Yeah, but the whole conversation was about "how many DL we'll keep". It rarely gets into the count of how many DT/NT/DEs we'd keep. I was for keeping them both over a guy like Cullen Jenkins because we know where his ceiling is and I'd like to see Matt potentially reach that same ceiling if not higher. The problem with my thinking is that Matt could easily have a floor (if not ceiling) somewhere around where Reyes was playing and so I think that's where Scot and Gruden come in and say that they've got to balance this youth infusion with guys who are consistently playing good ball.

.... on a side note though, I suspect that Duke is gone for the season (pure speculation based on the hit and how bad it looked) and so I'm wondering if we'll sign Josh Evans back or pick up a guy like Will Hill (who is more of a SS like Duke). I'm not too impressed with the play of Whitner. He is making the tackles on the guys he's covering, but his coverage is not up there. I wonder how often a guy like Sua was covering TEs vs Whitner because I kept seeing Whitner getting picked on.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, but the whole conversation was about "how many DL we'll keep". It rarely gets into the count of how many DT/NT/DEs we'd keep. I was for keeping them both over a guy like Cullen Jenkins because we know where his ceiling is and I'd like to see Matt potentially reach that same ceiling if not higher. The problem with my thinking is that Matt could easily have a floor (if not ceiling) somewhere around where Reyes was playing and so I think that's where Scot and Gruden come in and say that they've got to balance this youth infusion with guys who are consistently playing good ball.

.... on a side note though, I suspect that Duke is gone for the season (pure speculation based on the hit and how bad it looked) and so I'm wondering if we'll sign Josh Evans back or pick up a guy like Will Hill (who is more of a SS like Duke). I'm not too impressed with the play of Whitner. He is making the tackles on the guys he's covering, but his coverage is not up there. I wonder how often a guy like Sua was covering TEs vs Whitner because I kept seeing Whitner getting picked on.

Ah, yes, I got you know and I agree. I'm not a fan of the Jenkins signing either. Would have rather kept the young guys on the active.

Well, beginning of the year I thought we might be a contender and I wanted to trade for Wilkenson and sign whoever else we could to help, but a 48 yo DT wasn't really on my wishlist.

I didn't realize Duke was hurt that bad. I wonder if Everett is capable of starting. Wouldn't mind seeing Cravens get the start and let him take his lumps. 

Whitner is a run cover safety exclusively. He's terrible against the pass.

Maybe another position change for Dunbar.

At this point in the season, I'd much rather see young guys given chances to learn a bit, instead of bringing in Vets.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

At this point in the season, I'd much rather see young guys given chances to learn a bit, instead of bringing in Vets.

I'm all for bringing in young vets with potential. Just like there are so many guys who slip through the cracks in the draft, there are guys who slip through the cracks of rosters. Thats how we wound up with Baker. But I just hope we aren't in such a win now philosophy that we don't develop younger guys. And one thing I'm liking about Scot/Jay is that it seems like they have a vision for the future. The low round picks and UDFA guys aren't just roster fillers to play in July when the starters go out. There are a number of stories of the younger guys coming from nowhere and getting playing time, even starting. 

In terms of players to play at FS, there's Deshazor Everett, and then re-signing Josh Evans, there's moving a CB (Dunbar) to FS, and then there's bringing in a vet. What do we really know about Everett? I'm all for giving him a chance to play, but is he thought of as a guy who can cover? Can he tackle? How's his vision? Josh Evans (from what I've read) seems to be good at tackling and was better at FS than SS when in Jacksonville, but he was on bad defenses so its hard to calculate his grade. Then Dunbar? I love the guy (seriously though, why was he covering Green though? Breeland? Fuller? Toler? I don't know, seems like we set him up), but (a) do all the position moves affect his psyche and (b) would this move be any different than the Blackmon move or the Deangelo Hall move? I mean, we'd like to have the Charles Woodson success at position switch, but so far it hasn't happened here. 

@Thinking Skins I agree about Evans, but I don't know if his ceiling is going to be any higher than Blackmon, which isn't a knock for or against, just not an answer. I wouldn't be for or against it. We are thin for bodies anyway.

I love that about the back end of the roster. It use to be used for could haves and maybes, now it's actually acting like part of the roster. We're already seeing guys snipped from the PS. That's a good sign.

I think Everett is more of a FS honestly. Better in coverage. The safety positions are so different. I guess if we throw enough bodies at it, one of them might stick :ols:(not funny). I'd love to see FS addressed aggressively this offseason. 

And again I agree with the decision to put Dunbar on Green, instead of sliding Bash over. I really don't understand that move either.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

@Thinking Skins I agree about Evans, but I don't know if his ceiling is going to be any higher than Blackmon, which isn't a knock for or against, just not an answer. I wouldn't be for or against it. We are thin for bodies anyway.

I love that about the back end of the roster. It use to be used for could haves and maybes, now it's actually acting like part of the roster. We're already seeing guys snipped from the PS. That's a good sign.

I think Everett is more of a FS honestly. Better in coverage. The safety positions are so different. I guess if we throw enough bodies at it, one of them might stick :ols:(not funny). I'd love to see FS addressed aggressively this offseason. 

The sad thing is that I really thought that Kyshoen Jarrett had a chance to be a real fix the FS position. Sad about that nerve injury.

Archived