Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Was that in a subsequent interview?  In the press conference I watched, he didn't say one way or another but inferred that just because they look at any player doesn't mean they will sign that player but he seemed to be referencing the point in theory versus flat out saying he's not signing Pot Roast.

He's not signing him today is basically what's been reported.

Which means (for my money) that a corresponding move is about to go down.  The likeliest of which is Doc to IR.

27 minutes ago, DC9 said:

So you're saying it's good that we didn't spend a **** ton of money on the one decent option out there in FA for a big man?

Good to know. lol

Nope that was not what I was saying.   I am just about as big of an off season junkie as anyone on this board.   I am all over the draft thread and to a lesser degree your FA thread during the off season. I was aware of what was available in FA and commented on it plenty. 

But its not exactly a radical theory that you don't pay almost 10 million a year for a nose tackle.   if you are desperate, you could suggest why not?  But that extends to my point earlier about FA, if you overpay for a position that generally does not demand big bucks -- its not just about that one transaction its about how that transaction effects other positions.  Scot referenced that point in the off season about wanting to be careful about what he pays Kirk because it has consequences to the rest of the roster. 

My actual point is you got the NY press already referencing buyers remorse about Snacks and whether you pay that kind of money for a guy who plays about 50% of the snaps.  Maybe they are off base and Snacks proves to be a monster this season and Scot regrets not grabbing him.  Will see.   My thought in general is a variation of I trust Scot to build this roster and even if he doesn't come close to fulfilling my Christmas off season wish list (which he hasn't) I get the method to the madness of being careful in FA.

19 minutes ago, DC9 said:

He's not signing him today is basically what's been reported.

Which means (for my money) that a corresponding move is about to go down.  The likeliest of which is Doc to IR.

That much I know.   Wonder if sending Matt Ioannidis back to the practice squad is on the table, too.

Edit -- reading Keim looks like Matt is safe

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/27753/bashaud-breeland-getting-close-redskins-say-no-for-now-to-terrance-knighton-2

As for not signing Knighton or Taylor, both bigger-bodied nose tackles, Gruden wouldn't comment specifically on the decision. But he did say that rookie nose tackle Matt Ioannidis played his best game at nose tackle. Ioannidis had never played nose before the Redskins drafted him out of Temple, so there has been a learning curve for him.

"Overall, the defensive linemen were more disruptive and played better," Gruden said.

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My actual point is you got the NY press already referencing buyers remorse about Snacks and whether you pay that kind of money for a guy who plays about 50% of the snaps.  Maybe they are off base and Snacks proves to be a monster this season and Scot regrets not grabbing him.  Will see.   My thought in general is a variation of I trust Scot to build this roster and even if he doesn't come close to fulfilling my Christmas off season wish list (which he hasn't) I get the method to the madness of being careful in FA.

It plays into the over theme of FA with Scot.  If dude isn't a stud he ain't getting stud money. 

Norman is a STUD.  Snacks is a halfway crook.

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

our 3rd and 1 issues are a result of DY not being here. I remember how gruden loved calling the FB dive and get those first downs. 

yeah...I was arguing with a buddy of mine...who thinks the FB position is useless in today's game...I love the FB leading the way or/ and a quick hitter on short yardage..and I miss DY...never thought he got enough carries...nice hands for a FB too

4 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

yeah...I was arguing with a buddy of mine...who thinks the FB position is useless in today's game...I love the FB leading the way or/ and a quick hitter on short yardage..and I miss DY...never thought he got enough carries...nice hands for a FB too

Yeah I'm also big fan of FB's...but in our case we must have a TE, RB or Olineman who can run the FB position on short yardage. Maybe put freaking Chris Baker in there, he would be a good truck for 3th and goal from the one yard line. 

31 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Yeah I'm also big fan of FB's...but in our case we must have a TE, RB or Olineman who can run the FB position on short yardage. Maybe put freaking Chris Baker in there, he would be a good truck for 3th and goal from the one yard line. 

why not? Like the Fridge!

8 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Anybody know who hit Flacco on the 4th and 8 at the end of the game as he threw it? Was it Trent Murphy or Preston Smith? Just curious. 

Preston Smith I believe. He was like a quarter of a second from smoking Flacco.

11 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

our 3rd and 1 issues are a result of DY not being here. I remember how gruden loved calling the FB dive and get those first downs. 

I loved me some DY, but there again was another player he rarely used. Even when he was successful with him.

7 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

smoking Flacco? isn't that the drug that makes people crazy enough to eat off a persons face?

I was going to say smoking Joe but I didn't want to confuse anyone with Frazier.

1 minute ago, SWFLSkins said:

I loved me some DY, but there again was another player he rarely used. Even when he was successful with him.

I still think DY was/is the best FB in the league, but he's watching the games with the rest of us.

I think 3rd and 1 is less about DY and more about the game these days.  Coordinators want to call passing plays and design passing plays cause that's what gets them raises and jobs at the next level. 

Gonna be interesting to see how we handle that wide 9 this week.  Difficult to run outside zone and boots against it.  This will also be the best group of DTs our line will see all year.

8 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

I concur.  Whether it be DY or somebody else, our RBs an OL could probably use a FB.  DY was good because he was versatile. He could make something of the occasional carry and caught it well out of the backfield. For whatever reason, Gruden just didnt have much use for him.

34 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I think 3rd and 1 is less about DY and more about the game these days.  Coordinators want to call passing plays and design passing plays cause that's what gets them raises and jobs at the next level. 

But do we really think that our guys could line up on 3rd and 1 and get one yard against a stacked D consistently even if run plays were called?  They dont run it well even without a stacked box.

7 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/dolphins-claim-cb-bene-benwikere-off-waivers-panthers/

Dolphins Claim CB Bene Benwikere Off Waivers, Jets & Redskins Also Placed Claims

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would've meant the end of Phillips.  He played well with Norman.

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

But do we really think that our guys could line up on 3rd and 1 and get one yard against a stacked D consistently even if run plays were called?  They dont run it well even without a stacked box.

Not until we culturally make that decision to work on that in practice.  I think Callahan would love to do that and spend a lot of time on that, but I think more time is spent on pass pro and blitz pick up... which is how the game is going.

We've seen how good this o-line can be when we focus on the run.

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I concur.  Whether it be DY or somebody else, our RBs an OL could probably use a FB.  DY was good because he was versatile. He could make something of the occasional carry and caught it well out of the backfield. For whatever reason, Gruden just didnt have much use for him.

How about John Sullivan at FB this week if we need it?

Archived