Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

14 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

I think the entire offensive line is playing at a high level right now, not sure why you would mess with that chemistry to see if a recently signed street aging vet coming off of back surgery is an upgrade.

I don't think they put Sullivan in to see if he's an upgrade...if they put him in it's because they already feel he is. 

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I concur.  Whether it be DY or somebody else, our RBs an OL could probably use a FB.  DY was good because he was versatile. He could make something of the occasional carry and caught it well out of the backfield. For whatever reason, Gruden just didnt have much use for him.

I would rather say Sean McVay.

FB is an extinct position in the NFL nowadays. That's a real pity, because those guys were helpful on some occasions.

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

How about John Sullivan at FB this week if we need it?

I would consider Chris Baker at the position on a trick play or two. Or Ty Nsheke, and have him jump over the OL.

talking about OL, who started at LG for us against the Ravens?  If it was Lauvao, I wonder if it was conincidence the run game regressed.  Maybe Arie is our best bet?

As for fullback, I really think NFL teams hurt themselves in the running game just using one back so much.  I know it's old school and really nothing I've ever watched, but I think on some of those bunch formation plays they'd really benefit by having someone who could go the other way

1 hour ago, carex said:

As for fullback, I really think NFL teams hurt themselves in the running game just using one back so much.  I know it's old school and really nothing I've ever watched, but I think on some of those bunch formation plays they'd really benefit by having someone who could go the other way

FWIW, 8 of the top 10 rushing teams this year have a FB on the roster.  How often they're used, I dont know, but just this past weekend I saw several of those teams in the top 10 using them in the game.  The guy in Oakland had a touchdown.  I was upset by that, but that's fantasy related.  lol

It all goes in cycles.  First, TEs were blockers.  Then Ditka and John Mackey revolutionized the position by catching a lot of passes.  Then they weren't anything in the 70s.  Then Winslow and Newsome started catching passes again.  Then Gibbs used TEs to block most of the time.  Now, they are receiving threats.  Same thing will happen with the Fullback.  It will cycle around again.

23 hours ago, DC9 said:

Yeah, just posted in another thread that Garvin had a zone slip up that allowed that big play to Wallace with 1:08 left in the 4th quarter.

I'm not sure if Garvin was put in there because it was a known passing situation, but that was a bad miss.

Shoulda been Cravens play. Hope he's back next week.

2 hours ago, carex said:

talking about OL, who started at LG for us against the Ravens?  If it was Lauvao, I wonder if it was conincidence the run game regressed.  Maybe Arie is our best bet?

Probably had more to do with the fact that the Ravens are a pretty good defense, as opposed to the Browns anyway. :) 

21 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Probably had more to do with the fact that the Ravens are a pretty good defense, as opposed to the Browns anyway. :) 

Yeah. Last year our run game dwindled when we lost Shawn for the year. He's better than people give him credit for in the run game.

I want to say this about Nacho. He made a ton of mistakes. He did. Missed assignments, not getting into a gap, etc.

However, he did it full throttle and was around the ball on damn near every play. That's why he was able to knock the ball away with his helmet.

I'm glad he's in there, but he's certainly not the long term answer.

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

October 11, 2016

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va.The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

The Redskins released the following player from their practice squad:

CB Robertson Daniel

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm glad he's in there, but he's certainly not the long term answer.

You very well could be right, but he was downright studly before the injuries.  I think part of his problem is he isn't 100% yet.  I've never been injured like that but I'd think it would take some time to trust my body after what he went through.  

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

It all goes in cycles.  First, TEs were blockers.  Then Ditka and John Mackey revolutionized the position by catching a lot of passes.  Then they weren't anything in the 70s.  Then Winslow and Newsome started catching passes again.  Then Gibbs used TEs to block most of the time.  Now, they are receiving threats.  Same thing will happen with the Fullback.  It will cycle around again.

If you really want to go old school, there really was no such thing as a TE before the mid-50s.  Until the 1980's , FBs were often a teams leading rusher or at least contributed a significant number of carries.  John Riggins first three thousand yard seasons were all as a FB.  He as actually called a FB until several years after his retirement.  The most notable FB was Jim Brown.  Do you think we'll cycle back to that?  How about the real way back machine?  Back in the day when the QB was just a blocking back and the TB or FB were you're primary passers.  Baugh was not considered a QB until about 1945.

2 hours ago, HapHaszard said:

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va.The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

The Redskins released the following player from their practice squad:

CB Robertson Daniel

My Uncle always said, "never trust a guy with two last names."

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Pead used to run his ass off in college.  Surprised he hasn't taken in the league.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I want to say this about Nacho. He made a ton of mistakes. He did. Missed assignments, not getting into a gap, etc.

Really?

I in no way am capable or care to focus on Duke or his run fits in the defense, but he seemed to play well. 

What is the expectation for a safetys tackle percentage when coming down to tackle? This would seem to be a tough spot for a safety to be in consistently due to pursuit downhill from safety and the advantage the rb has in that situation. 

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Really?

I in no way am capable or care to focus on Duke or his run fits in the defense, but he seemed to play well. 

What is the expectation for a safetys tackle percentage when coming down to tackle? This would seem to be a tough spot for a safety to be in consistently due to pursuit downhill from safety and the advantage the rb has in that situation. 

I saw him fill some wrong gaps at the beginning of the game.  As the game wore on he did much better. 

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Really?

It's a lot of fun to key in on one player each snap and not the ball.

I think that's why I liked Murphy.

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Really?

He was terribly out of position near the end when Perriman almost had the TD catch. Good thing Norman played him tight and forced him near the sideline. Perriman was the only receiver near Ihenacho's zone that play and Ihenacho reacted incredibly late and had no chance of getting over in time. He should have been heading voer there before Flacco ever even began to throw.

Giants waive Montori Hughes. Here's his draft profile from Walterfootball.com

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013NT.php

Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin
Height: 6-4. Weight: 329. Arm: 33.68.
40 Time: 5.23.
Projected Round (2012): 3-4.

4/24/13: If it weren't for off-the-field problems, Hughes could be a high second-day pick. He has talent, size and speed. Hughes picked up 42 tackles, 8.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks and a pass broken up in 2012. He had a strong Senior Bowl performance and really helped himself. Hughes also put together a solid performance at the Combine.

8/25/12: Hughes was kicked off of Tennessee's team, so he ended up transfering to Tennessee-Martin, an FCS school. The junior had a mixed season for the Volunteers in 2011 with 28 tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss, one sack, and one forced fumble, which he recovered. He recorded most of his stats (10 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, his sack and his fumble) against Eastern Illinois, a team that went 2-9 in 2011.

Hughes recorded 17 tackles with 3.5 tackles for a loss and a forced fumble in 2010. The sophomore had some academic violations that caused him to be suspended for the season finale against Kentucky.

Hughes combines athletic ability and good size, but his off-the-field problems have killed his draft stock.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2013NT.php#ixYvJbtSIp3Xjtvk.99

And here are his league stats

Not somebody I'm really too interested in, although he does have potential. I do wonder why he was cut though.

I was curious this morning about the Skins's (not just Scot) reluctance to sign a 330 pound NT since converting to a 3-4 and came up with a few articles. The first is kinda a case study from pro football focus talking about the seeming lack of a market for the position because they're only 2 down guys for the most part (lack of pass rush)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/life-on-the-nose-todays-market-for-nfl-nose-tackles/

Then I found this article asking the question of whether we're going to start seeing smaller NTs. http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/4/17/8432253/is-football-going-to-start-seeing-smaller-nose-tackles-issac-gross-defense-spread

Here's an article talking about what teams look for in different positions along the DL. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1664010-how-do-scouts-break-down-nfl-defensive-tackle-prospects

I was looking at the specs and trying to see how Matt Ioannidis fit into the picture for a NT/DT.

Height: 6'3 (NT needs >=6', DT needs >= 6'2)
Weight: 299 (unofficial, I've seen as high as 307) (NT needs >= 300, DT needs >= 280)
40 Time: 5.03 (NT needs <= 5.5, DT needs <= 5.0)
Reps: 32 (NT needs 30+, DT needs 25+).

This is just one site, and I don't have a way to measure stuff like his hand placement, technique or leverage, or a bunch of other stuff. But I can see the theory behind bringing in these 300ish pounders to play the NT position instead of the 330 2 downers.

Archived