Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

18 minutes ago, CTskin said:

This is the example that makes me question the coaches. Ihenacho has flashed in every game and clearly outplayed Bruton. Same goes for Blackmon > Dhall. It shouldn't have taken injuries for these guys to be starting.

I think they new Ihencaho was better but he does have a history of not being a guy you can count on.  Not enough evidence to say Blackmon is better than Dhall.  Probably won't ever be now.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

If Phil Taylor AND Pot Roast are here I would honestly sign them both.

I'd IR Docston and I would waive and PS Ioaniadis

Man, we agree on something.  It's amazing lol

I wouldn't bring in Forsett just yet, though.  That's too much movement and we still don't know what we have in Fatty Boo Batty

Don't you feel better and smarter when you agree with me?

I'd like to see Fat Rob more, but this coaching staff refuses to make changes unless a player gets hurt.

9 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Don't you feel better and smarter when you agree with me?

I'd like to see Fat Rob more, but this coaching staff refuses to make changes unless a player gets hurt.

I do feel better cause I want you to be right and it makes me feel like I'm rubbing off on you little by little :P

I think Jones is going to be the guy cause he has the potential to break out... you just have to feed him.  Fatty's really only had two decent runs but it's definitely obvious that he's better on grass than field turf.

14 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Robb Ackey

There is a reason he is my favorite coach on the staff and it's not even close.  Dude's put out for a guy like that... he is ****ing awesome.  I posted this in the gameday thread yesterday after he was knocked down by Swags lol

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Hope we sign Taylor. 

To be clear, this is not a criticism of McLovin if we don't. But if we sign him, then it must mean he looks healthy enough to contribute, so I hope that's what happens.

I said I wanted both, but if it's one or the other I agree, I want Taylor.

Another thing jumping out is Fuller isn't the biggest guy, but since the Giants game (and since replacing that trash Dashaun Phillips) he's had to make some grown-up tackles on TEs and FBs because of his location in the cover 3 and cover 2 responsibilities... and he's made all of them.

2 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

@DC9,

Why both?  Seems to me if one is doing his job, the other is superfluous.  If one is doing his job, we won't need that type of NT for more than 15 plays a game.

I think yesterday was a bit of an mirage as far as exactly how well the defense played.  I certainly think they improved and tackled better... but both teams were limited in their play calling cause of the wind.

But Taylor is not just a nose... he can push the pocket on passing downs if he's healthy.

Knighton and Taylor?  Get it done SM.  

Man, I really wish we'd been in on the Linval Joseph sweepstakes back in the day.  I think a lot of the board had convinced themselves that we didn't need a monster to plug the middle.  I think Barry maybe convinced himself of that too.  

We'll see how it shakes out.  Good win yesterday.  Glad to see SM continue to pound the phones.  Let's keep this thing rolling.  Huge game this week.

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Knighton and Taylor?  Get it done SM.  

Man, I really wish we'd been in on the Linval Joseph sweepstakes back in the day.  I think a lot of the board had convinced themselves that we didn't need a monster to plug the middle.  I think Barry maybe convinced himself of that too.  

We'll see how it shakes out.  Good win yesterday.  Glad to see SM continue to pound the phones.  Let's keep this thing rolling.  Huge game this week.

Man, Linval Joseph was like number 1 or number 2 on the board's wish list that year, brother

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Man, Linval Joseph was like number 1 or number 2 on the board's wish list that year, brother

Oh, I know he was.  I'm sure I wanted him, he's an ECU boy. :)  

What I'm referring to, was the ongoing justification by many here that we'd be okay without a true NT because our scheme didn't need one to be successful.  

I know this is all speculation, but what do you think considering to bring Pot Roast back signals?  A tweak in philosophy from Barry?  A disagreement with SM and the coaching staff?  A disagreement between Barry and Gruden?  Is it nothing?

I just find the whole situation to be strange.  

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

What I'm referring to, was the ongoing justification by many here that we'd be okay without a true NT because our scheme didn't need one to be successful.  

I know this is all speculation, but what do you think considering to bring Pot Roast back signals?  A tweak in philosophy from Barry?  A disagreement with SM and the coaching staff?  A disagreement between Barry and Gruden?  Is it nothing?

Yeah that's a fair point.  Hopefully they are past that with our performance the first few weeks against the run.

Well ****... hopefully we're just making a move

top 10 players last week according to PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-10-players-from-sundays-week-5-action/

2. Mason Foster, LB, Washington Redskins

Foster was an important player in the Washington defense, leading the team with four defensive stops for the day and consistently making tackles for short gains in the passing game. He may have allowed a catch on seven of the eight passes thrown into his coverage, but those passes went for a total of just 29 yards, as he closed quickly to limit gains and keep the Ravens behind the chains, and put the defense into more favorable positions.

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think they saw how good Hood looked at DE (He and Baker are by far the best DE's on the roster), and need to find a way to keep him there. 

Foster was an important player in the Washington defense, leading the team with four defensive stops for the day and consistently making tackles for short gains in the passing game. He may have allowed a catch on seven of the eight passes thrown into his coverage, but those passes went for a total of just 29 yards, as he closed quickly to limit gains and keep the Ravens behind the chains, and put the defense into more favorable positions.

•  

More

Told that Terrance Knighton's workout today w/ Redskins went well and the DT is ready, per source. Team not rushing any decision, though.

More

Reminder that Redskins worked out Whitner last Tuesday, waited, and then signed Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah, just posted in another thread that Garvin had a zone slip up that allowed that big play to Wallace with 1:08 left in the 4th quarter.

I'm not sure if Garvin was put in there because it was a known passing situation, but that was a bad miss.

DC, you've been checking out the tape.  I thought that the second half yesterday was the first time our defense imposed our will on another team in quite a while.  It appeared that we were pressing on the outside, running more blitzes, etc.

What changes did you see?  Do you think it was more wind/weather related?  The fact that their offense/OL are poor so we felt comfortable being more aggressive?  Do you think we'll see a similar approach this week to try and get to Wentz?

I think Peterson is a gifted play caller.  Lots of screens, etc.  I could understand dialing it back a bit for the Iggles.  However, I really enjoyed our attitude on defense yesterday, and I'd like to think it was a by product of a more aggressive scheme.  Either way, yesterday was fun to watch.

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

If Phil Taylor AND Pot Roast are here I would honestly sign them both.

I'd IR Docston and I would waive and PS Ioaniadis

Man, we agree on something.  It's amazing lol

I wouldn't bring in Forsett just yet, though.  That's too much movement and we still don't know what we have in Fatty Boo Batty

I have no problem with IR'ing Doctson to bring in one of these guys. Phil Taylor, if healthy, makes more sense to me in that he's younger and could be a guy that sticks around whereas I think this is Knighton's last year in the league, if he even finds a team at all. 

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Iaonnidis kind of flashed yesterday, right now the logical choice would be put Doctson on IR.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Re-watching his snaps right now.  Looks much better than he did against Cleveland where Reiter pancaked him.

Looks a lot like the type of NT where he didn't give up ground but he also didn't penetrate... which is perfectly fine for a rotation NT.  Especially in his first extended pro action against a good C.

This is the reason I would now have a problem with cutting/PS'ing Ioannidis. We drafted him for a reason, we've had our doubts but the guy is now on the roster and as a fifth round rookie now has credible game tape of him playing well. I don't disagree with you that Lanier has upside, size that you can't teach and I don't want to lose him. But I think the riskier cut is Ioannidis and perhaps more importantly he's actually contributing at a much needed position right now. Lanier doesn't play at all and we actually have a pretty solid rotation of DE's, especially if we continue to play Ioannidis at NT AND sign another guy to play there. I think the smartest move here is to cut Doctson and sign one of these NT's IF Knighton or Taylor shows they are worth it. 

That gives us two rotational NT's in Ioannidis & Knighton/Taylor/Whoever. You beef up against the run (hopefully it shows up in on field run defense), it allows you to play all of our defensive ends AT defensive end and it allows us to continue to get Ioannidis valuable playing time for the future. Finally, I believe you don't have to decide on who you're IR return guy is until you actually bring them back. All of the players we've IR'ed are legit season ending injuries except maybe Bruton but he sucks so bad you're not going to bring him back anyway. So it actually leaves the option to bring Doctson back at the end of the year if he's healthy/needed and if we don't have an injury to someone else that we'd prefer to bring back. 

On the curious case of Duke Ihenacho - he's no world-beater but he's physical, a good tackler and he brings the wood. These are all things we've known about him since we poached him from Denver. He's had unfortunate injuries but we were all actually excited about his play last preseason and to start the year and I think most were on board that he was a positive player for us and not just another guy until he got hurt. I think he was almost the forgotten man this year especially when the coaches signed Bruton and for whatever reason it became his job to lose. If anything it probably only fueled Ihenacho more but you're all absolutely right, he was flying around and making tackles yesterday and was certainly a positive for us. He did missed a few, most notably when West broke his ankles then went for 30+ after Duke hesitated instead of just flying to the hole and cutting out his legs. But, as a whole he played quite well and I was very happy with him. 

It's been a big debate on here for some time where the fault lies in stopping the run - a ****ty Defensive Line, Linebackers that suck at filling their gaps and making the tackles, or safeties having those same issues. I think we'll all agree it's a combination of all three and the main argument is which is the biggest problem/root cause. The safety play was pretty solid yesterday, however, we still got gashed in the run game and West ended up with two 30+ yard runs and 11 carries for 90+ yards. So it's not exactly like we stopped them as much as we did have some good plays against the run then fortunately they forgot to run it once we got ahead. 

I think this all plays into me agreeing that we're on the Ihenacho/Blackmon train and that we should IR Doctson and sign one of the fatties if they show that they can contribute. That's kind of a big if at this point but I'd say sign one so you don't have to cut Lanier/Ioannidis and then you can rotate new guy with Ioannidis who has played well. 

Also, I want Reiter back. I think he officially belongs to the Browns even on the IR but I'd like to say goodbye to Lichtensteiger after this year and go into next year with Long as the planned starter and Reiter as the backup. I know everyone wants Long at Guard but the reality is he's a pretty good Center, he's young and hefty and a strong blocker...all of which Lichtensteiger is not. And Kuandjo showed something last week. Probably not going to get much dissent in here from being a fan of our starting five next year being all guys we drafted (Trent, Kuandjo, Long, Scherff, Moses).

17 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

DC, you've been checking out the tape.  I thought that the second half yesterday was the first time our defense imposed our will on another team in quite a while.  It appeared that we were pressing on the outside, running more blitzes, etc.

What changes did you see?  Do you think it was more wind/weather related?  The fact that their offense/OL are poor so we felt comfortable being more aggressive?  Do you think we'll see a similar approach this week to try and get to Wentz?

I think Peterson is a gifted play caller.  Lots of screens, etc.  I could understand dialing it back a bit for the Iggles.  However, I really enjoyed our attitude on defense yesterday, and I'd like to think it was a by product of a more aggressive scheme.  Either way, yesterday was fun to watch.

Hard to tell man with the weather limiting the playcalling.  What that did is it compacted the game into about a 20 yard box or less.  So rarely did you see a team try to take the top off the defense.  Essentially each team was going against a red zone defense each time. 

That's why I'm happy to see that we are working out two interior linemen today.  I think we'll sign one of them this week, too.

But the biggest difference honestly yesterday was that we were tackling the ball carrier.  I said I'm not a huge Barry fan, but he's putting people in position to make plays... we just aren't making them.  So yesterday we made them.

I also agree with you on Doug Peterson.  He's in a groove right now.  He likes to use the whole field as well as the clock.  Getting off the field next week and keeping their defense out there will be essential to winning.

14 minutes ago, moondog said:

It's been a big debate on here for some time where the fault lies in stopping the run - a ****ty Defensive Line, Linebackers that suck at filling their gaps and making the tackles, or safeties having those same issues. I think we'll all agree it's a combination of all three and the main argument is which is the biggest problem/root cause. The safety play was pretty solid yesterday, however, we still got gashed in the run game and West ended up with two 30+ yard runs and 11 carries for 90+ yards. So it's not exactly like we stopped them as much as we did have some good plays against the run then fortunately they forgot to run it once we got ahead. 

I think this all plays into me agreeing that we're on the Ihenacho/Blackmon train and that we should IR Doctson and sign one of the fatties if they show that they can contribute. That's kind of a big if at this point but I'd say sign one so you don't have to cut Lanier/Ioannidis and then you can rotate new guy with Ioannidis who has played well. 

Also, I want Reiter back. I think he officially belongs to the Browns even on the IR but I'd like to say goodbye to Lichtensteiger after this year and go into next year with Long as the planned starter and Reiter as the backup. I know everyone wants Long at Guard but the reality is he's a pretty good Center, he's young and hefty and a strong blocker...all of which Lichtensteiger is not. And Kuandjo showed something last week. Probably not going to get much dissent in here from being a fan of our starting five next year being all guys we drafted (Trent, Kuandjo, Long, Scherff, Moses).

Yeah, there' s no way a run defense is that bad unless it's a combination of all three.  But have a good d-line helps out a ton there.

I'd love to get Reiter back.  I still blame Dashaun Phillips for him not being on the team.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

I think yesterday was a bit of an mirage as far as exactly how well the defense played.  I certainly think they improved and tackled better... but both teams were limited in their play calling cause of the wind.

But Taylor is not just a nose... he can push the pocket on passing downs if he's healthy.

So, would you see Taylor and Pot Roast on the field together?

Archived