Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

18 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

There were players available..we had cap room.....Damon Harrison, Eric Weddle, Tashaun Gipson...I can keep going......

I can't put a percentage on it.......All I'm saying is that SM should not be getting a free pass....it's perfectly fine to say that you like that he's willing to cut players he's signed, but you also must acknowledge that he failed by signing them.

Who is giving him a free pass?  My original post was saying I was impressed that he let go of failed signings quickly rather than letting them hang on like a clinger ex-gf, which is exactly how this organization has done business in the past.  It's nice we don't have to deal with that anymore.  Yes, the failed signing is not good, but that doesn't mean you make it worse by keeping them on the roster... 

17 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

So having both starting safeties go on IR and bringing in two safeties means the rebuild is not far along?

Please explain

The safety tandem that we put on IR were as bad as any safety combo we have had and that's saying a mouthful.  They were going to have to be replaced whether or not they got injured.  They weren't even stopgap worthy.  

Does that mean the rebuild is in total disarray?  No.  Does it make the rebuild process on defense more difficult and time consuming?  I think it does.

4 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Haven't been impressed with Bruton at all.  In fact, forget impressed, he's been meh to me.

Agreed. And just like Cooley said, if Bruton is starting on Sunday, we've already been out-coached. Having him off the active roster eliminates any chance of the coaches playing him, and that's a good thing ( I used to feel this way about Reed Doughty playing free safety). I'm not a fan of his play by any stretch, but I definitely wish him a full and speedy recovery from whatever injury he's incurred.

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

Kendall Reyes was just cut.

Somethings going down.

GMSM told Barry that he was an idiot.  

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 19s19 seconds ago

The #Redskins are signing Pro Bowl safety Donte Whitner to a 1-year deal, source said. He worked out for the rival #Giants last week…

Hopefully he is better than the absolutely nobody else we have to play safety. 

3 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

The Washington Post wrote the general opinion on ES about Scot and our Dline.

Keep taking swings, and eventually you'll hit somewhere.  I bet SM wanted to take a shot on Leonard Williams, but just couldn't because we had Larry, Mo and Curly on the OL.  

2 hours ago, illone said:

Impressed with the GM being able to move on from a failed FA signing so quickly.  In years past that same guy would have stuck around for a year or two...

Especially if they played or coached in Tampa from 2003-2008. 

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Not impressed with a GM who keeps swinging and missing

Gotta take the swings.  And most of these swings are cheap.  

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

True true, but one more thing I can't shake (besides wondering why Doctson was playing in our first series of the season), why won't Jay admit he is wrong and should have called a timeout, on the now famous series in which Cousins took a sack to end the half. I believe he stated he still thinks no TO there was the correct thing to do (disclaimer: I hope my recollection is accurate)

Because when it comes to in-game management, he's a mental midget.  There's a lot more in the "Clock Management" thread. 

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

So Bruton on IR for a concussion, must be a bad one.

I hope not, mental health is very important.  It's possible they went to him and said, "dude, you stink.  IR or street?" and he said, "IR." 

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

Has any team, though? I'm curious about it, as well.  

He has received the kiss of death: You go as a FA to New England.  Bellichick can't figure out how to use you.  He cuts you loose. Everybody else goes, "um, they did the scouting for me."  

55 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Why is he picking from a box of poop?     You're telling me Reyes was the best he could do this off-season?    David Bruton was the best Safety he could find?

Not buying it....It's bad talent evaluation...plain and simple

It's the fact that GMSM is not going to spend big money on average players.  He wants to plug holes with "cheap and available" players, and see how things go as he continues to build through the draft.  If a franchise type player comes available (see, Gordon comma Josh), then they'll go after them.  But they are not going to spend money on stop-gap solutions.  And they'll probably run through a bunch of JAGs, trying to find the best available JAG.  

In 2-3 years, when they have drafted well, and found some key FAs, then we can judge.  But not until then. 

33 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

There were players available..we had cap room.....Damon Harrison, Eric Weddle, Tashaun Gipson...I can keep going......

I can't put a percentage on it.......All I'm saying is that SM should not be getting a free pass....it's perfectly fine to say that you like that he's willing to cut players he's signed, but you also must acknowledge that he failed by signing them.

Balance is all people ask.  But people wanna put positive spin on every bad move and praise everything.  Sometimes you just gotta say a whiff was a whiff and call it like it is.  

His best free agent signing so far has been the kicker.  Not knocking that though, cuz he's really good.   

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

You know, if that's the case... then cutting him is not only about him, but the message it sends to the rest of the players. I really like that. If anything, you almost guarantee those guys aren't going to even try anything close to that crap moving forward. They know why he just lost a very lucrative job. 

That's exactly what I was thinking brother.  It was either the 2nd quarter or the 4th quarter where the Browns were going left to right and he just totally ****ing didn't try.  Ran down the line and everything but he didn't even try and looked close enough to do something about the run.  It may have actually been the first down run that Crowell had that went for 18 yards.  I watched that one a few times to see what happened cause there were 8 in the box.

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Has any team, though? I'm curious about it, as well.  

Not to my knowledge, but I don't think any other team has the problems that we do.

Even if he can only play on 1st downs I'm fine with that at this point.  Make it a 2nd and long every time and we're money.

Just now, arftech said:

What's the skinny on Josh Evans?  He's a youngin.

Hail Em Up!

I don't know much about him at all.  Looks like a teams guy or at least a guy who knows how to tackle. 

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

Sad to say.. We aren't as far into the rebuild process as I thought.  Not with fans still wanting to sign every awful player who is cut from other lackluster teams...

Offseason I agree, but right now there is absolutely no harm in bringing guys in to see what they can do. It's not like we're signing scrubs to long term deals. 

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Why is he picking from a box of poop?     You're telling me Reyes was the best he could do this off-season?    David Bruton was the best Safety he could find?

Not buying it....It's bad talent evaluation...plain and simple

Gipson, Harrison... all of those guys were out for a money grab but none of them were a sure thing.

He thought Norman was a sure thing and went all in.  I think there is clearly a difference in his approach if you'd take a step back and see the big picture instead of just looking at THIS year, dude.

Find me the thirty starters that you wanted him to get while allowing us to stay in position to keep and reward our own, while be competitive to sign a dude like Norman if he became available and while being able to keep all of our draft picks.

If he hit on all of our draft picks and larger FA moves to this point that still doesn't equal 30....

In the offseason and preseason you were reasonable to talk to and very intelligent, but you're letting the .500 season we've had so far really get your goat.  Chill out a bit.  I'm not saying he's God but you are being beyond unrealistic and the way you are approaching this situation is similar to how the previous regimes had... and that didn't work.  About 15 different times that didn't work.

Let a proper build happen.  He knows what the **** he is doing.

Like many here, I wish we had done more in the offseason to address the DL, either through the draft or FA.

I can see Scot's point about not paying mega money for above average guys, look at the ridiculous contract Vernon got from the midgets.

If there is a guy who is truly worthy of mega bucks, I'm sure they'll shell it out, just like when Norman became available. Otherwise the probably best course of action is to draft your own guys and hope your stopgaps can fill in during the meantime. It's extremely frustrating as a fan, but probably better for the team in the long run. It would take 2 high dollar FA linemen to make the DL a competent one.. and I can see why he don't want to spend it. Part of me wishes he had, but I can see the reasoning behind it. I just hope he drafts some stud DL and not flops.. that's going to be critical.

part of me thinks he wouldn't spend the dough on the DL because of the gaping holes at ILB and FS/SS. Would the impact high dollar FA linemen may have really affect just how bad the D is as a whole with basically nothing at the other two positions? Similar to putting a high dollar stereo system in your car when all your tires are flat and the car doesn't run... doesn't make much sense.

So I can see the reasoning behind it, if that is indeed the reasoning.. but it still sucks to watch nonetheless. The entire middle of the defense needs rebuilt from the ground up. I guess he saw fit to address other needs first.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Offseason I agree, but right now there is absolutely no harm in bringing guys in to see what they can do. It's not like we're signing scrubs to long term deals. 

I think that Scot has stated his strategy regarding free agency and we're seeing it in effect right now. He doesn't like to use it as a building block, and instead likes to focus his energy on the draft. So we've seen a bunch of these "vet min plus incentives" type deals (not quite that but ones that don't hurt us if the player is cut) and where the player has the opportunity to turn it into a multi year deal if he plays well. We saw it last year with Knighton, but unfortunately he didn't perform well. We got Reyes & Bruton and neither outperformed their contract. We got Galette and he got injured twice. Foster and Blackmon both came in and did serviceable (better than the guys we had were doing). Now we're taking shots at Sullivan, Evans, and Whitner. These probably aren't the last of the moves as we will indeed have more injuries and have to shuffle the roster again. 

I keep contrasting this with the Gibbs/Shanny (ala Vinny) way of doing things where we'd (a) overpay for a free agent, (b) get an injury or find out a player didn't fit our system, (c) either keep playing him because of his salary or (d) if he got injured sign or trade for another vet to come in and take that spot. 

What I'm seeing from Scot is a procedural approach. I mean, I can simply look at a list of the current free agents, consider their injury history, age and number of games played and say that if we get an injury at that position we'll probably bring player X in. I don't always agree with his moves, but its because I'm always thinking of finding a diamond in the rough. Scot probably knows that Player X will be no better than what we have or we just need a player to stop the bleeding after trying out too many maybes at that position.

I think Whitner is kinda like that. Scot has tried Bruton, Johnson, Hall, Jarrett, Blackmon, Everett, Goldson, Robinson at the safety position. So its not like he hasn't tried different people, but nobody has worked. The best guy there has probably been Goldson but he wasn't spectacular and was due for too much money. 

45 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Gipson, Harrison... all of those guys were out for a money grab but none of them were a sure thing.

He thought Norman was a sure thing and went all in.  I think there is clearly a difference in his approach if you'd take a step back and see the big picture instead of just looking at THIS year, dude.

Find me the thirty starters that you wanted him to get while allowing us to stay in position to keep and reward our own, while be competitive to sign a dude like Norman if he became available and while being able to keep all of our draft picks.

If he hit on all of our draft picks and larger FA moves to this point that still doesn't equal 30....

In the offseason and preseason you were reasonable to talk to and very intelligent, but you're letting the .500 season we've had so far really get your goat.  Chill out a bit.  I'm not saying he's God but you are being beyond unrealistic and the way you are approaching this situation is similar to how the previous regimes had... and that didn't work.  About 15 different times that didn't work.

Let a proper build happen.  He knows what the **** he is doing.

I really didn't want to talk about SM...I just get annoyed when I see him getting praised for cutting someone he signed....

I didn't want him to sign 30 starters.....just 5...it could have been done....it should have been done.....I don't believe we're in some 4-5 year re-building plan....I don't believe there's such a thing in the NFL.     

Having said that; we're 2-2...I like getting Whitner....let's see what happens....

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I really didn't want to talk about SM...I just get annoyed when I see him getting praised for cutting someone he signed....

I didn't want him to sign 30 starters.....just 5...it could have been done....it should have been done.....I don't believe we're in some 4-5 year re-building plan....I don't believe there's such a thing in the NFL.     

Having said that; we're 2-2...I like getting Whitner....let's see what happens....

I don't think there are 4 year builds either.  But I will say that it's amazing to me that Trent Williams is one of the senior draft picks on this team now.  That's crazy.  But it also tells you everything you need to know about what is in the cupboard. 

Just try and keep perspective of the larger picture is all I ask.

You are out for blood on McCloughan every chance you get.  I'm starting to think you're related to Vinny, bro.

Archived