Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

So, is Whitner a modern day Mark Carrier, and there is a league witch hunt already under way?  I hope not, but I bet the league didn't like his name change stunt.

I remember Carrier being coached up to raise his arms on hits to make it look like he was going for the ball. Instead, it likely looked like concussion arms making matters worse for him.

I hope Whitner can bring the thunder down in the box. I still contend Barry has his strong far away from where we expect to see them being a force vs the run, and that we cannot always blame the player (Bruton).

Cutting Paea, who was signed to a 4yr/30 mill contract after one year adds dead cap and can certainly be considered a failure (although one I expected less likely to happen). Cutting a player on a 1 year/2.5 mill deal, that was probably recommended by our DC after 4 games (close to the guaranteed portion of the season) is hardly a failure. Jeron Johnson was a failure, so there is your two. I however am excited about enough players from the last two drafts, that Reyes is hardly going to change my opinion of GMSM.

4 hours ago, bankonhank said:

LMAO I hope after playing in his first regular season game as a rookie they have not decided Fuller is not good enough. I mean am I missing something? He is coming off an injury and is a rookie, relax lol. 

Sorry, I meant Everett. But the same statement holds. Everett doesn't get any play and if they decided he's no good I don't like that.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

This last game was his first chance to get on the field, iirc.

Counted twice where he just didn't even try to tackle the RB on a stretch play to his opposite side of the field.  No arms, no diving, no effort.  Can't have that.

You know, if that's the case... then cutting him is not only about him, but the message it sends to the rest of the players. I really like that. If anything, you almost guarantee those guys aren't going to even try anything close to that crap moving forward. They know why he just lost a very lucrative job. 

The Whitner signing is a good one in our circumstances. The loss of Hall and the current injuries expose our lack of quality in that area. Will do a job short term job which is what we need right now.

I think Scot's doing a solid job. Building a roster though the draft takes time, the FA market is crazy. The Norman signing was a no brainer, the guy is top draw and we have him for years. But I think Scot is generally being cautious and that's a good thing.  The Gnats blew 200m and I'm not seeing the worth in that right now. The defence will get three key pieces in 2017, in my opinion, to solidify the core of that group. For now, short term contracts, low risk, see who sticks, cut em if they don't, find the right balance. 

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Not impressed with a GM who keeps swinging and missing

Again... you pick from a box of poop... you sign the least smelly poop.  If it starts to stink, you pick another.

30 players are no longer in the NFL from the roster two years ago... that's over half the team.  Not only not on the Redskins but not in the league. 

Can't fix that in just one offseason.

I hope Bruton is okay, but I think the move to put him on IR is based on performance.  The combo of DHall/Bruton was an absolute disaster before they got hurt. 

It is so frustrating that we have to keep throwing bodies at the safety position.  I've got more hope that KJarrett's arm will recover than I do that Whitner will offer us anything of value.  It is simply stunning that we continue to struggle in the same areas on defense year after year.

1 hour ago, illone said:

Impressed with the GM being able to move on from a failed FA signing so quickly.  In years past that same guy would have stuck around for a year or two...

I think its more than that. In the past two weeks we've seen 4 moves (I think) where we've brought in older guys (Sullivan and Whitner) as well as younger guys (Evans and Painter). So it looks like we're not totally going a veteran approach and still trying to find diamonds in the rough, unlikely as it may be. Kinda hedging our bets. I do wish we'd have signed a DL, but I won't get mad at picking up secondary help with all the injuries there. Hopefully we can see more from Lanier and Ioannidis (and they play well) in the coming game.

I liked that Bruce was signing young guys back in 2014 when we got hit with injuries (I was a big fan of Jackson Jeffcoat) and I'm glad to see that it hasn't stopped. I just hope we get lucky on some of them.

49 minutes ago, illone said:

I think he is talking about picking up the right player every time.  Scot isn't allowed to miss on any players, all must be pro bowlers and we must win the SuperBowl every year or else it's a fail.

Ridiculous....I'm just saying that it should also be pointed out that he whiffed on signings instead of just praising him for cutting people.

When did I say all his acquisitions should be Pro Bowlers?     He's had way too many misses

14 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Again... you pick from a box of poop... you sign the least smelly poop.  If it starts to stink, you pick another.

30 players are no longer in the NFL from the roster two years ago... that's over half the team.  Not only not on the Redskins but not in the league. 

Can't fix that in just one offseason.

Why is he picking from a box of poop?     You're telling me Reyes was the best he could do this off-season?    David Bruton was the best Safety he could find?

Not buying it....It's bad talent evaluation...plain and simple

1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Why is he picking from a box of poop?     You're telling me Reyes was the best he could do this off-season?    David Bruton was the best Safety he could find?

Not buying it....It's bad talent evaluation...plain and simple

Who would you have signed?

What percentage of signings working out is acceptable to you?

56 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

So, is Whitner a modern day Mark Carrier, and there is a league witch hunt already under way?  I hope not, but I bet the league didn't like his name change stunt.

I remember Carrier being coached up to raise his arms on hits to make it look like he was going for the ball. Instead, it likely looked like concussion arms making matters worse for him.

I hope Whitner can bring the thunder down in the box. I still contend Barry has his strong far away from where we expect to see them being a force vs the run, and that we cannot always blame the player (Bruton).

Not sure if everyone remembers this but.

Donte Whitner legally changing name to 'Donte Hitner'

Whitner was one of the bigger reaches in recent draft memory, total head scratcher at the time, but he has had a decent career and I like the signing.

Sometimes you CAN get guys off the street who are upgrades, but you stick with the guys you went to camp with...  

4 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Who would you have signed?

What percentage of signings working out is acceptable to you?

There were players available..we had cap room.....Damon Harrison, Eric Weddle, Tashaun Gipson...I can keep going......

I can't put a percentage on it.......All I'm saying is that SM should not be getting a free pass....it's perfectly fine to say that you like that he's willing to cut players he's signed, but you also must acknowledge that he failed by signing them.

41 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I hope Bruton is okay, but I think the move to put him on IR is based on performance.  The combo of DHall/Bruton was an absolute disaster before they got hurt. 

It is so frustrating that we have to keep throwing bodies at the safety position.  I've got more hope that KJarrett's arm will recover than I do that Whitner will offer us anything of value.  It is simply stunning that we continue to struggle in the same areas on defense year after year.

Have there been any updates on Jarrett's condition? I loved that kid; looked like he was gonna be a real winner for the team.

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Sad to say.. We aren't as far into the rebuild process as I thought.  Not with fans still wanting to sign every awful player who is cut from other lackluster teams...

So having both starting safeties go on IR and bringing in two safeties means the rebuild is not far along?

Please explain

Archived