Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

Josh evens is an interesting guy - 25 years old played in 47 of 48 games in his career so far starting 36 games - the knock on him comming out of collage is he would play the guy and not the ball - in that he would go for the tackle or the stop rather than the big play - I can see why the Jags moved on from him but could be an interesting in season pick up . 

11 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

Josh evens is an interesting guy - 25 years old played in 47 of 48 games in his career so far starting 36 games - the knock on him comming out of collage is he would play the guy and not the ball - in that he would go for the tackle or the stop rather than the big play - I can see why the Jags moved on from him but could be an interesting in season pick up . 

Did you ever see him play?  I can't remember him ever standing out.

But if he can tackle I will take him for sure.  I saw he had well over 100 career tackles.  So why not?

Almost reminds me of Dejon Gomes though

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

I don't know much about him at all.  Looks like a teams guy or at least a guy who knows how to tackle. 

Not a teams guy. He started 37 games in 3 years at safety for the Jags. I just watched some college tape on him. Can tackle but seriously lacks ball skills. No ints and only 2 passes defended in 38 games played. Interestingly he was wired for a game against Denver/Manning. But didnt really do anything.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjBilPVXF.QAzDcnnIlQ?p=josh+evans+safety&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&fr2=piv-web&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002#id=1&vid=329c5f7ae36bb93ad052b699505b6734&action=view

Josh Evans is a guy who PFF rated pretty badly. Given in week 2 of 2014 (JAX vs WAS) he got the highest grade for their defense. But overall he was rated like 78 out of 89 safeties. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/refo-jaguars-redskins-week-2/

Josh Evans, S: +3.3

Breakdown: With an injury to Jonathan Cyprien, Evans has been forced into action. He responded extremely well after a difficult Week 1. The former Gator was all over the field in this one, especially in coverage, where he looked the only defensive back capable of stopping the Redskins’ passing game. Overall, he allowed three of five targets to be completed for 38 yards with a pass deflection. Evans also contributed in the run game with four stops and just the single missed tackle.

Signature Stat: Evans was the only Jag to get his hands on the football against Washington.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-preview-jaguars-chargers-week-4-2/

Josh Evans – With two broken up passes to his credit, Josh Evans has recorded a team leading +2.8 coverage grade.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/refo-49ers-jaguars-week-8/

Missed Tackles

I’ve highlighted this duo before in previous refocuseds and they again draw my ire: the Jaguars’ safeties played horribly. Three missed tackles for Josh Evans (-4.2) and two missed tackles for John Cyprien (-0.8) gives these two Tackling Efficiencies for the season of 6.5 and 5.9 respectively. Cyprien stays our lowest-graded safety while Evans moves a few spots down after his performance to our third-lowest graded safety. The two rookies are such a liability on the back end that’s supposed to act as a safety net. On Kaepernick’s second touchdown, Evans bit hard on the option, crashing towards the fake to the running back while the 49ers’ quarterback waltzed right by him. Cyprien has been similarly undisciplined all year. On Kendall Hunter’s 41-yard run late in the third quarter, Cyprien made zero effort to try to wrap up an easy tackle and simply bounced off Hunter along the sideline.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/sig-stats-tackling-efficiency-dbs/

57  Josh Evans JAX 937 72 21 21 5.0

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/broken-tackles-2014-defenses

https://fantasy-sport.net/player/josh-evans/

A dirty little secret about success: Those that have it, dont neccessarily have it from everything they do turning to gold.  No, those that have it most often have it because they have the same failures everyone else does, but are willing to quickly admit the mistake, move on from them rather than cling to them, and find the success quicker.

For most people its a mental block to admit a mistake, to others or even yourself.  Its what holds back a lot of people from getting to a better spot.  So while some people dislike praising a guy for quickly admitting a mistake as they see it as a sign of weakness, in reality we are far better for it.  Its much better than sticking with trash year in and year out so as to appear "smart" to the fans.

16 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Not a teams guy. He started 37 games in 3 years at safety for the Jags. I just watched some college tape on him. Can tackle but seriously lacks ball skills. No ints and only 2 passes defended in 38 games played. Interestingly he was wired for a game against Denver/Manning. But didnt really do anything.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjBilPVXF.QAzDcnnIlQ?p=josh+evans+safety&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&fr2=piv-web&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002#id=1&vid=329c5f7ae36bb93ad052b699505b6734&action=view

Ok so he's Reed Doughty 2.0

My concern about Whitner was when the 49ers signed him (two teams ago now)the game was moving away from him - He is known as a force against the run and a heard hitter (although not in the same way as Merriweather) but with Josh Norma being fined nearly 50 G for making a tackle against Shepard a couple of weeks ago I am not sure how long Whitner has in the game

I remember hearing about Josh Eveans as a potential late round flyer . I have watched Jag games but I really cannot remember him at all - I really did not think he had been a starter for over two years - goes to show there are not a lot of great houshold name safeties out there . 

I think what is fascinating is people getting their panties in a knot about FA mistakes - FA is not GMSMs preferred method to build a team - ( as has been repeated and repeated - These FA acquisitions are inter-changeable place holders - With the exception of Josh Norman - who predictably since arriving at the Redskins is now no ones idea of a top corner - or the occasional find FA (other teams trash) are not the corner stones of a well built franchise- and it is not just us who realise this.  

When I was looking for information on Whitner i came across some old FA gradings from 2011 and the names and the big time acquisitions hailed as the hope for the next generation just simply never seem to pan out - the odd one or two do but in general the same names keep poping up until they simply vanish.   . 

I like the new buy it try it discard it mentality 

52 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

I think what is fascinating is people getting their panties in a knot about FA mistakes - FA is not GMSMs preferred method to build a team - ( as has been repeated and repeated - These FA acquisitions are inter-changeable place holders - With the exception of Josh Norman - who predictably since arriving at the Redskins is now no ones idea of a top corner - or the occasional find FA (other teams trash) are not the corner stones of a well built franchise- and it is not just us who realise this. 

Stop with the justifications.  The placeholders are not holding their place and he is not picking the people in the draft to take their place.

He has a history that anyone can look at, and that history is limited resources used on the trenches and limited success in what he used.  I'm willing to give him a chance to change that.

But so far, he's barely even tried here

Reyes didn't work out but Hood has been a been a good cheep addition 

My point is we are bringing free agents in NOT to be automatic starters we have to make work but guys are comming here to compete .  

We are not handcuffed to free agent mistakes we don't have a team with wafer thin depth with free agent wall paper covering the cracks . 

It is a feeling I have not had about this team for a long time. It is two years into a new scheme and there are gonna be holes and there are going to be misses . But this is the first time I have seen us build a team . 

43 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

With the Raiders signing Perry Riley, the question I'm gonna pose is, even though neither played particularly well the last year, would the Skins be better off with Robinson and Riley as ILB instead of Compton/Foster?

If it was Robinson and Riley, our ILB team would either be Compton/Riley or Foster/Riley. Robinson would be on IR after colliding with a Gatorade barrel during training camp.

4 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

When I was looking for information on Whitner i came across some old FA gradings from 2011 and the names and the big time acquisitions hailed as the hope for the next generation just simply never seem to pan out - the odd one or two do but in general the same names keep poping up until they simply vanish.   . 

I like the new buy it try it discard it mentality 

This is about it right here. There's generally a reason teams let players hit FA, and its because they're asking for more than they're worth. You get the rare player whose team can't afford him anymore or who is just being stupid and letting a good starter go. But unfrtunately we can just look at the roster/free agency thread from like 4 years back when there was a big discussion about who to sign at safety and a lot of them are mediocre. I wanted Mike Mitchell and while he's not horrible, he's also not anything to write home about. We saw it with Josh Wilson at CB, with the rotation of guys we had on the line (Cofield, Hatcher, Paea, RJF, Carriker, etc.) Some had good games, heck even good seasons, but most were just stop gaps getting high salaries. We need to build depth there through the draft, but we only have 7-10 picks per year and can't address like 17 different positions and depth with just those picks. Add to that the fact that some high picks will bust and some low picks will be surprises and we've got to be patient with a BPA approach and hope that we can find more of the Chris Baker/Trent Green/Antonio Pierce/Chris Clemons/Quenton Dunbar type of players.

Archived