Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

You want the defense to stop making plays? You crazy subs. Defense has started both games fairly well. Got some needed stops last week. If the offense would do its job, I think our defense would look a lot better.

Of our 3 down linemen, only one requires the occasional double team, so the linebackers are dealing with them too.

Smith should be on the line only in passing downs and only to rush the passer.

Kerrigan is getting fooled, instead of setting an edge.

Compton isn't physically gifted and seems confused, now that he's not playing against our offense.

Foster is not a very good football player.

Bruton seems lost.

Murphy is a DE and that's it.

Hall isn't picking up the position, but is okay in run support.

If our offense can't score points at will and run the ball to stay on the field, this defense is worthless. I do still think they can be good, if our O pulls it together.

18 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You want the defense to stop making plays? You crazy subs. Defense has started both games fairly well. Got some needed stops last week. If the offense would do its job, I think our defense would look a lot better.

Just saw this, sorry KB. I think you misunderstood me, I didn't mean I want them to stop making plays (like, really!? :ols:), I meant that they're overly aggressive and trying to force something instead of keeping to their assignments. And it's costing us more than it's benefiting. 

In fact, DHall echoed the same sentiments the other day: 

“It’s really about executing the defense,” Redskins safety DeAngelo Hall said. “If we execute the defense and don’t worry about trying to make a play or trying to do too much, we’ll be all right.”

Hall pointed to himself as among those trying to do too much. In the opener, on a fourth-and-1, he was aligned to provide deep help to corner Bashaud Breeland. But a run fake fooled him and he scrambled to recover, but couldn’t.

Against Dallas, Hall singled out another play in which he cheated too much to tight end Jason Witten, anticipating a pass to him only to have quarterback Dak Prescott throw over the top to receiver Dez Bryant.

“If I had stayed on my landmark and didn’t try to do too much and rush the process, I could have made that play,” Hall said. “It’s doing what the defense asks and not stepping outside that box. It’s about doing your job. We all have to be better doing our job and trusting the guy beside us to do his.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/215357/redskins-d-can-improve-simply-by-doing-your-job

That's pretty much what I was getting at. 

Former NFL defensive end Greg Hardy arrested on cocaine charge

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-greg-hardy-arrested-20160926-snap-story.html

Former Dallas defensive end Greg Hardy, who remains unsigned after a tumultuous 2015 season revolving around his domestic violence case in North Carolina, was arrested on a cocaine possession charge in Texas. 

With Hall going down (as well as the OL injuries), I'm back to the scouting I was doing earlier. This is a ranking of the top UDFAs from this past draft. These are guys that I would guess we had ranked highly as well and so if they're not currently on a roster, as roster spots open up due to injuries we may want to try to grab these guys.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-top-50-undrafted-free-agents-from-2016-nfl-draft/

One of the guys on that list is Matt Skura, a center on the Ravens practice squad who looked good coming out of Duke that has the size that Scot seems to like.

Then there's Nila Kasitati, who we had earlier in the offseason, he made our practice squad and then we released him when we cut Reiter (who wound up on our PS before being claimed). I don't think he's been re-signed, so he's an option.

There are other guys I'm looking at (Darrell Greene was high on this list but he was released from Atlanta's PS). I find this list interesting simply because a lot of the top guys on this list wound up on active rosters, which does serve as a first level of validation of the list (without seeing them in practice/preseason/and other stuff).

41 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

With Hall going down (as well as the OL injuries), I'm back to the scouting I was doing earlier. This is a ranking of the top UDFAs from this past draft. These are guys that I would guess we had ranked highly as well and so if they're not currently on a roster, as roster spots open up due to injuries we may want to try to grab these guys.

we're already down to third string at LG, we need to be looking at vets or guys who know our system.  If we're bringing in someones fourth or fifth string guy it needs to be one of OUR fourth or fifth string guys, but frankly I'd rather bring in someone who was cut cause he was to expensive to be a second or third stringer

5 minutes ago, carex said:

we're already down to third string at LG, we need to be looking at vets or guys who know our system.  If we're bringing in someones fourth or fifth string guy it needs to be one of OUR fourth or fifth string guys, but frankly I'd rather bring in someone who was cut cause he was to expensive to be a second or third stringer

Thats a logical statement in a vacuum, but there's a simple question of why is this guy our 3rd guy and why is this other guy their 4th or 5th guy? Some guys are practice squad or low depth chart because they're young and need time to develop. Some of these guys are guys we wanted but they were either drafted before we got them, or they just signed another UDFA contract, Some of these guys have a much higher ceiling than our guys (and the veteran free agents), but just need time in the system. I'm guessing that's kinda why Cravens isn't starting right now.

The main question I want to ask is "does player X make this team better". And I don't want it to be a this season question, but a 3-5 year question. Will having this guy in our system help us? I want Scot to always be looking at the young talent and for opportunities to improve our depth. I suppose there are situations where you want to go after a veteran FA (like the unexpected releases when we got Norman and Galette and Jackson), or if there is a large gap between where a given free agent is and where our scouts think that an available young player can get quickly.

But for the most part a lot of the guys out there now are inexperienced, unmotivated, or untalented. Whats the point of signing a 30 year old guy who has PEAKED at Just a guy when there's a 23 year old who's inexperienced, but has a ceiling way higher than those veterans?

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Thats a logical statement in a vacuum, but there's a simple question of why is this guy our 3rd guy and why is this other guy their 4th or 5th guy? Some guys are practice squad or low depth chart because they're young and need time to develop. Some of these guys are guys we wanted but they were either drafted before we got them, or they just signed another UDFA contract, Some of these guys have a much higher ceiling than our guys (and the veteran free agents), but just need time in the system. I'm guessing that's kinda why Cravens isn't starting right now.

The main question I want to ask is "does player X make this team better". And I don't want it to be a this season question, but a 3-5 year question. Will having this guy in our system help us? I want Scot to always be looking at the young talent and for opportunities to improve our depth. I suppose there are situations where you want to go after a veteran FA (like the unexpected releases when we got Norman and Galette and Jackson), or if there is a large gap between where a given free agent is and where our scouts think that an available young player can get quickly.

But for the most part a lot of the guys out there now are inexperienced, unmotivated, or untalented. Whats the point of signing a 30 year old guy who has PEAKED at Just a guy when there's a 23 year old who's inexperienced, but has a ceiling way higher than those veterans?

I don't think the NFL actually views practice squads the way you do, because if they did there would be a LOT more jockeying with the 51-53 spots on the roster and the practice squads.

This isn't the rule 5 draft in baseball, you don't have to offer someone you cut from your roster back to his old team, you know?  And there's no limit on the number of times you can cut and re-sign someone.

Right now, we could put  DeAngelo Hall on IR, go out and sign a Cowboys PS player.  Then tomorrow we could waive him and to get him back they would have to sign him to the active roster and cut someone else.  Not likely really.  So then we could sign that player to our practice squad.  It's also something you could do with guys like Lanier, Ionaddes , the guys at the bottom of the depth chart who rarely ever dress

But no one does that.

Oh, and Cravens isn't starting because his size and where we have him lined up makes him a situational player

5 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

We should be seeing a C/G signed this week. If KL is still out this weekend and Long goes down, who moves to C?

the guy we sign

57 minutes ago, carex said:

Oh, and Cravens isn't starting because his size and where we have him lined up makes him a situational player

not directing this toward you, but those 16 pounds compton has on cravens makes him so much better vs. the run.. note the sarcasm.

i want the best players on the field. cravens>foster/compton.  he needs to be getting way more snaps.

1 minute ago, Skins Wingman said:

that took a whole 18 minutes lol

Can he breathe? - Yes

Does he play Center? - Yes

Does he... - Sign him

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

and that's for Kory L's spot... Still need to fill (1) more spot since D Hall is on IR and possibly Lauvao.

Is Mike Neal still out there?

Cause if he is... I think we're fine in the secondary but I wouldn't mind a Mike Neal being added to this front 7. 

I'd also sign Pot Roast over a guard, so long as Sully pans out.

Archived