Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

44 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Lol yeah ok. You guys are going to disappoint yourselves thinking this. There is only one QB ever that has done that and his name is Brady and he has tons of money outside of football. 

Cousins is already 27. He's going to get us or the next team for every last penny he can. 

Of course, I may be wrong about Cousins moderating his demands.  But, he just doesn't strike me as a "get all I can" type.  He is smart and a consummate team player.  He also doesn't strike me as a player who will squander his money and be broke by the time his career is over.  Doesn't he still drive his old pick-up truck after becoming a 20 mil a year guy?  I think the reason he and McCloughan didn't come to terms this off season is because the Skins low-balled him on a long-term contract.  I can't really quarrel with McCloughan's thinking, because he wants Cousins to show that his 2015 second half was not a fluke before putting the team's future in Cousin's hands.  When Cousins proves that, I believe they will strike a deal that would guarantee Cousins somewhere around 70 mil for 4 years.  That's a reasonable contract and would not break the cap room bank.

On 9/8/2016 at 6:11 PM, HanburgerBum said:

Okay, so you were thinking of cutting Golston instead of Jenkins.  I think the coaches think more of Golston than you do. 

That was originally addressed to DC9, but.

On 9/7/2016 at 1:43 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think it's interesting that people continue to blame our run defense on the DL...

Starts there.

On 9/6/2016 at 3:23 PM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

It's not up to the DL to stop the run on their own. ...

Or just keep ****ing and moaning before the season even starts...whatever floats your boat.

The boat with the hole in it doesn't float.

On 9/6/2016 at 4:23 PM, SkinsFTW said:

When I saw the picture of the ship I thought hmm that looks eerily similar to the hole that was blown in the USS Tripoli during the first Persian Gulf War and guess what, it's the same hole lol... 

Yup.

On 9/5/2016 at 10:42 PM, dckey said:

Question, We have 11 NEW Players on Defense.  5 New starters on defense than the ones that started against Greenbay in the playoffs and 9 new starters than the ones who started against Miami last year.  It seems GMSM has addressed the defense very much.  Now I understand that he may not have picked the people you would have liked.  But to say he didn't address the DL when he has replaced 3 people all of whom have started in Pot Roast, Hatch and Paea, with Hood, Reyes and Lanier.  ...

Lateral moves.

On 9/5/2016 at 5:43 PM, nemocystem said:

You know...i am not in the Goldston fan club, but it's just not what we ask our NT/DT to do.  Would we be better off with a guy who does his job better than him?  Of course...but you lose versatility with any/all of the guys available this offseason.  

Let's not pretend that Goldston didn't make a some nice plays last year either.  He was especially good in several Goal Line stops, & flashed some better play in the preseason.  ...

He has to do something though, no?  Rollerskates.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:36 PM, goskins10 said:

I don't have an answer for your specific question. However, while many are really trashing our D last year because of the yards - I want to remind those people of a few things:

I created a thread, you are all welcome to continue the dialogue.

The free agent field for dlinemen is pretty uninspiring. I'm inclined to poach other team's practice squads if need be. 

Joe Vellano on the Falcons comes to mind. Kelcy Quarles currently with the Colts was someone I liked in the 2014 draft.

There's two proposals. Both Vellano and Quarles spent time with New England. Both were brought back a couple times. I'd be inclined to remove one of the WRs from the 53 and bring up L. Nix, see what he's got. Open up the competition, let guys get snaps, find what works. 

Another one on the Waiver Wire.. Drafted 9th overall in 2010

Saints Release Former First-Rounder C.J. Spiller. Why is he not here already??? Saints needed the roster spot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000702129/article/saints-release-former-firstrounder-cj-spiller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buf9udaUZuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqXYT_PCWQk

My man will kill it with that wheel route... A much better upgrade than Chris Thompson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdxrzlSl_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrqqJqoMN-A

He's a triple-threat RB, receiver out of the backfield, and dangerous return man. Reminds me of Sproles.

20 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

The free agent field for dlinemen is pretty uninspiring. I'm inclined to poach other team's practice squads if need be. 

Joe Vellano on the Falcons comes to mind. Kelcy Quarles currently with the Colts was someone I liked in the 2014 draft.

There's two proposals. Both Vellano and Quarles spent time with New England. Both were brought back a couple times. I'd be inclined to remove one of the WRs from the 53 and bring up L. Nix, see what he's got. Open up the competition, let guys get snaps, find what works. 

Unless Scot M works his in-season free agent magic again, there's really nobody that's available on the DL that I expect to make us any better than we already are.  

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I'd go after spiller in a heartbeat.

We have to... It's inexcusable not to. With Kirk playing nervous, he's also the perfect check-down receiver out of the backfield. I'd actually take him over Sproles. Saints just could not afford him and he's not an every down back. Knowing that, there's no reason why he shouldn't be our compliment back to keep the defense honest.

Just now, RabidFan said:

Why the hell did they not dress him then cut him then?  He eat all the baby figurines out of all the King Cake in Nawlin's or something?

hope he works out better than Galette.

They tried to trade him originally, but no one wanted that contract. Another Saints big mistake by giving such a large contract to a scat-back. They've also got 6 RB's on the roster and they are going to stick with Mark Ingram, Tim Hightower, and Travaris Cadet. Rookie Daniel Lasco will get some touches too. Don't know anything about Marcus Murphy but there's too many mouths to feed for such a large contract for Spiller. Now that he's cut, teams can sign him for whatever he'll take and the Saints will have to pay the dead money, just like they did with Galette.

Bottom Line, Saints are not too smart with their money.

Ask the Saints fans, and they are pissed. The beat reporters are questioning if it was a good decision. Front Office just could not afford him.

Also, why the hell have we not plucked Jack Allen off of the Saints practice squad???

He was one of the top-rated Centers coming out of the draft and also played Guard. Only allowed 3 sacks in his entire college career. Was also a finalist for the Nations Top Scholar Athlete. Obviously the Saints don't need him with Max Unger and Kelemete.

http://spartanavenue.com/2016/09/07/jack-allen-makes-saints-practice-squad/

Yes, size is a concern. But he plays must stronger than his size indicates. He would jump to our squad in a heartbeat because at least here he has a chance to start.

I feel like I'm doing Scot McC's job for him...

46 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

We have to... It's inexcusable not to. With Kirk playing nervous, he's also the perfect check-down receiver out of the backfield. I'd actually take him over Sproles. Saints just could not afford him and he's not an every down back. Knowing that, there's no reason why he shouldn't be our compliment back to keep the defense honest.

With how little we run the ball, what's an every down back in our offense?  10-15 carries, tops. Maybe less if we're woefully ineffective like Monday. I almost dont think we need one.  

Just now, justice98 said:

With how little we run the ball, what's an every down back in our offense?  10-15 carries, tops. Maybe less if we're woefully ineffective like Monday. I almost dont think we need one.  

We run the ball so little after one game because Jones was ineffective and our line wasn't creating holes. That's why you need a back like Spiller to get it out quick. He can create separation with speed, shiftiness, and ability to get open in space for the check down... He's a home run hitter.

C.J. Spiller enters his second season with the New Orleans Saints looking to make an impact in the running game, passing game and on special teams, utilizing his explosive abilities. Since first coming into the league in 2010 as a first round draft pick of the Buffalo Bills (ninth overall), Spiller has shown this versatility, playing in 83 career contest with 38 starts and carrying 704 times for 3,433 yards (4.9 avg.) with 12 touchdowns, recording 192 receptions for 1,434 yards (7.5 avg.) with eight touchdowns, returning 67 kickoffs for 1,612 yards (24.1 avg.) with two touchdowns and bringing back 25 punts for 302 yards (12.1 avg.).

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

We run the ball so little after one game because Jones was ineffective and our line wasn't creating holes. That's why you need a back like Spiller to get it out quick. He can create separation with speed, shiftiness, and ability to get open in space for the check down... He's a home run hitter.

I dont see that changing much, personally.  

Just now, justice98 said:

I dont see that changing much, personally.  

With Jones, it will not. He's just not that good and was drafted too high IMO. He dances too much. Might be time to see what Kelley can do.

Doesn't take away the need for an explosive playmaker in Spiller. He keeps the defense honest with his speed and ability to catch out of the backfield. You can say that Thompson does the same thing, but he's ridiculously poor man's version of Spiller... and I'm tired of always have the 'poor man's version of X" player. We need the X player.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

With Jones, it will not. He's just not that good and was drafted too high IMO. He dances too much. Might be time to see what Kelley can do.

Doesn't take away the need for an explosive playmaker in Spiller. He keeps the defense honest with his speed and ability to catch out of the backfield. You can say that Thompson does the same thing, but he's ridiculously poor man's version of Spiller... and I'm tired of always have the 'poor man's version of X" player. We need the X player.

I dont disagree, I'm very pro-bringing in Spiller.  From a production standpoint, our backs on the active roster should be Kelley, Spiller, and Pierre Thomas.

22 hours ago, Aireskoi said:

The boat with the hole in it doesn't float.

And did you actually read what I wrote???

On 9/6/2016 at 2:23 PM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

It's not up to the DL to stop the run on their own. ...

Or just keep ****ing and moaning before the season even starts...whatever floats your boat.

And here is what Gruden said:

“Yeah, you look at the run defense and they gutted us there at the end and I think guys got a little bit tired but you look at it sometimes it was a D-lineman and sometimes it was the interior guys, the outside backerssometimes the inside backers not falling back, maybe the safety missed a tackle, maybe a corner missed a tackle, so it was a combination of a lot of things last night."

In the rush to say "I told ya so" don't let the facts get in the way...but yes the DL did suck big time...no sugar coating that fact.

Just now, Robbob said:

I think Jones needed more runs last week.  He is a guy that wears down defenses.  Take away his first 2 attempts and he averaged over 5 yards per carry.

Can't just take away his first two attempts, though. He is just not consistent and he stutters too much waiting for something to happen. He doesn't have good vision. He's just not someone to get excited about, In my opinion.

IMO our running game did not look bad.  I think we just needed more of it, and fewer penalties.  It looks like we only ran the ball 6 times in the 2nd half.  I would be happy with either Jones or Kelley running it on early downs. 

I would also be happy to see us kick the tires on Spiller.

Archived