Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Apparently Tevin Mitchel got waived from the Colts IR. Anyone want Tevin back?

Also Evan Spencer retired 

Tevin Mitchel was waived from IR with an injury settlement. He was injured last year which is how the Colts got him in the first place. If the Skins claimed him they would have to waive him then put him on IR. Not sure why you would do that.

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I wonder what thoughts SM has watching T. Simien do his thing with a great supporting cast, while making 7th round money.

Roster with a game manager??

Roster with a top 5 salary QB??

Great Supporting Cast being the star of the show....  Remember this dude?  17/32, 226 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INTs in a 41-27 Skins win which was his first start.

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Tevin Mitchel was waived from IR with an injury settlement. He was injured last year which is how the Colts got him in the first place. If the Skins claimed him they would have to waive him then put him on IR. Not sure why you would do that.

Mitchel's not going to be out very long. That's why Indianapolis reached a settlement with him. I wasn't super serious about re-acquiring Mitchel, though it is possible to sign him to the practice squad if the team really wanted him back

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Mitchel's not going to be out very long. That's why Indianapolis reached a settlement with him. I wasn't super serious about re-acquiring Mitchel, though it is possible to sign him to the practice squad if the team really wanted him back

I would like to see it, just for closure. At least bring him in for a workout when he's healthy. But the Colts have probably already ruined him.

Haven't had a chance to see how he looked that last preseason game where he was supposed to get extended time. I wonder what happened, he got hurt again? 

Sad deal for him, he was such a promising young talent. Still, there could be a chance. To be honest, I'm (selfishly) happy the Colts didn't see any benefit from him, in the end. Punk move on their part, so good. 

10 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

If Simien duplicates his stats every game he would have the following stats

2,848 yards

16 TD's 

32 INT's

I'm sure SM is fine with the QB he has. 

No doubt, stats weren't all that impressive, but if you look beyond the stats, you saw signs of a guy who was ready for the moment and played a solid game against a legit Superbowl contender. 

This topic isn't just about Simien, moreso, conversation whether to dedicate 15% of your cap to one player and how it can force tough decisions elsewhere on the roster. 

The QB has to be reeeeaaaaly good, basically HALL OF FAME worthy, for it to work over an extended period of time. 

I've not decided for or against it (neither has SM), but respect Elway for having the balls to go against the grain this season. We'll see how it plays out. 

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

Where did you see he was not going to be out long? I looked but could not find anything to confirm that. Not saying it's not out there, I lust could not find it. To be honest. not sure it makes sense for them to release him with injury settlement if he was going to be healthy soon. He was having a good camp. If this was a minor injury why release him? Why not wait for him to be healthy and put him on the team? They already invested an entire year on him.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Haven't had a chance to see how he looked that last preseason game where he was supposed to get extended time. I wonder what happened, he got hurt again? 

Sad deal for him, he was such a promising young talent. Still, there could be a chance. To be honest, I'm (selfishly) happy the Colts didn't see any benefit from him, in the end. Punk move on their part, so good. 

I agree it being a punk move. I hate the young man is injured for his sake. But like you there is a small part of me that is glad it didn't work out for the colts. Hopefully he can get healthy and play for someone else. Still not sure that's us. But when he's healthy maybe they kick the tires. The other problem to consider for him playing for us is he does not paly a position of need, at least it doesn't appear so now :-)

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I agree it being a punk move. I hate the young man is injured for his sake. But like you there is a small part of me that is glad it didn't work out for the colts. Hopefully he can get healthy and play for someone else. Still not sure that's us. But when he's healthy maybe they kick the tires. The other problem to consider for him playing for us is he does not paly a position of need, at least it doesn't appear so now :-)

True, we're good at CB for the moment. But Breeland will probably command a large contract himself once his rookie contract expires. Will be able to afford him and Norman??

15 hours ago, Jericho said:

We'll see if Simien can keep it up. It seems virtually anyone can look good as an NFL QB over small spurts. The real question is sustained success. If Denver finishes 8-8, or worse, then probably he doesn't think much of it. And let's be fair, the teams that compete year in and year out all have good to great QBs. The teams that seem fine for a year and disappear are usually the ones with crap QBs.

I always think of Sonny when I read about a young QB playing well. He would say "Let's see how he does when everything is going wrong for a couple of weeks." Like when your starting LT, RB, WR are dinged & not playing; when your defense & ST have given up back-to-back-to-back TDs to put you 21 points in the hole. Let's see how they handle adversity. That's when you know a guy is the real deal. 

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Where did you see he was not going to be out long? I looked but could not find anything to confirm that. Not saying it's not out there, I lust could not find it. To be honest. not sure it makes sense for them to release him with injury settlement if he was going to be healthy soon. He was having a good camp. If this was a minor injury why release him? Why not wait for him to be healthy and put him on the team? They already invested an entire year on him.

Mitchel injured his hamstring in his final pre-season game. In general, hamstring injuries are not long term. He was actually listed a "questionable" for week 1 before cuts. There's hasn't been a ton of specifics on him, but everything suggests is likely only a few weeks.

As to why waive Mitchel? One possible answers is they don't think he's any good. But that's probably not it. I heard the same things that he looked good in pre-season. I think the more likely scenario is injuries. The Colts are already down Vontae Davis and Darius Butler. Both are on the active roster, but will miss Game 1 at a minimum. Davis is their best CB and Butler is their #3. They simply couldn't afford to keep more injured CBs on the active roster. So they sent him to injured/waived. But he's probably not injured enough to be stashed on IR all season (he has to be out at least 6 weeks). Also, a new rule change allows the Colts to bring him back 3 weeks after his injury settlement is up (they would pay him for a certain number of weeks)

4 hours ago, bowhunter said:

True, we're good at CB for the moment. But Breeland will probably command a large contract himself once his rookie contract expires. Will be able to afford him and Norman??

I really think fans worry way too much about the CAP and contracts. Don't get me wrong. Not saying we should hide our heads in the sand. But we have not played the first game with Norman and Breeland and it's time to worry about their contracts> Norman could be a wash. One of them could injured. Fuller could turn out to be better than both. Not sure bringing in a guy who has been injured since day one is the right insurance against CAP issues.

On another note it will be a nice change to have too many high skilled players to pay them than having to over pay for average talent.

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

I've not decided for or against it (neither has SM), but respect Elway for having the balls to go against the grain this season. We'll see how it plays out. 

I do like that the Broncos are willing to go the cheap route rather than pay tons of money to some mediocre QB. But not sure we should give Elway too much credit here. He was willing to pay Brock Osweiler a ton of money. Not quite as much as the Texans, but reportedly $16 million a year. And no one really knows if Osweiler is even any good. Once Brock left, the options were pretty much crap. They did pass on Fitzpatrick, but did decide to trade up for Lynch in the draft.

5 hours ago, bowhunter said:

In theory, when Bash is ready for his big pay day, we let Norman walk, resign Bash and Fuller steps into that role.

Kind of the way you want the contract rotations to work, so you're not paying monster contracts to guys around 30.

It will hopefully be the same with our WRs. We've brought in expensive FAs, now their contracts are almost up and their replacements are already here getting experience. 

This way, unless that guy around 30 really is that special, you don't have to give the big money contract and worry about age and decline as much, which might be the case with DJax.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is incredible, especially compared to last year when we started half a team.

Yes it is... @AlvinWaltonIsMyBoyand I were having a discussion on this in the "Overconfidence" thread. It's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out, and there's a real concern that we may be soft or lacking in endurance because of it, but I'm leaning towards being pleased that we're this healthy going into the season.

The question is/was whether the team, personnel-wise, is at a stage where enough guys are going to be physical just because that's who they are. That the culture of toughness and physicality has been established based on the amount of players brought in over the last two offseasons who have those qualities (either learned last year or ingrained within them) versus needing to be enforced forcibly throughout the offseason.

It's my belief that Jay and the coaching staff arrived to the decision to prioritize player's health because they believe the players can be trusted and that they won't regress. We'll see, of course, but it's exciting to kind of read into this how highly the FO thinks of the personnel acquired thus far.

@thesubmittedone I think the reason we're healthier, is last year we brought in Akey, Callahan and Smith (the S&C couch. I think that's his name) who are all physical old school coaches. I think it lead to a lot of injuries, but teams were saying we were the toughest.

Now, year later, even guys like DJax and Trent were doing super intense physical training on their own. Although I think that's your point. :806:

When DJax is showing up more muscular, you gotta believe. We're going to be a high flying team, who can physically punch you, you know, like Matt Jones. :)

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

No doubt, stats weren't all that impressive, but if you look beyond the stats, you saw signs of a guy who was ready for the moment and played a solid game against a legit Superbowl contender. 

This topic isn't just about Simien, moreso, conversation whether to dedicate 15% of your cap to one player and how it can force tough decisions elsewhere on the roster. 

The QB has to be reeeeaaaaly good, basically HALL OF FAME worthy, for it to work over an extended period of time. 

Are you seriously saying to pass on Cousins if he is going to take about 15% of the cap room even if he has a 2016 season like the 2nd half of 2015?  I think that would be nuts.  QB is the most important position in the NFL, and it isn't even close.  It took forever for the Skins to find a good one, and you say Cousin may be too expensive to keep?

When it comes to "overpaying" QBs, there are already many teams doing exactly that.  Joe Flacco is among the highest paid QBs in history.  What HOF (your criteria) do you think he will make?

Elway settled for Simien because he had little choice.  Oswiller, who hasn't shown nearly as much as Cousins, left for a lucrative deal in Houston.  Paxton Lynch isn't ready, and Sanchez is a journeyman.  Besides, Elway can afford to gamble with an inexperienced QB because he knows his team (with its superb defense) doesn't need to score a ton of points to win.

My hunch is that Cousin knows that he will have the Redskins over a barrel if he has a good 2016 season.  But, he is smart enough to know that he won't be successful if he isn't surrounded by a lot of talent.  So, I am guessing that he will moderate his demands and not try to extract every dime possible so there would be enough cap room to retain other good players.

13 minutes ago, HanburgerBum said:

My hunch is that Cousin knows that he will have the Redskins over a barrel if he has a good 2016 season.  But, he is smart enough to know that he won't be successful if he isn't surrounded by a lot of talent.  So, I am guessing that he will moderate his demands and not try to extract every dime possible so there would be enough cap room to retain other good players.

Lol yeah ok. You guys are going to disappoint yourselves thinking this. There is only one QB ever that has done that and his name is Brady and he has tons of money outside of football. 

Cousins is already 27. He's going to get us or the next team for every last penny he can. 

Archived