Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

Garrett Grayson waived by the Saints. Was supposed to be the heir to Drew Brees.

3rd rounder in 2015 draft.

Lots of draft guys wanted him and a few NFL Execs thought he'd be the best of that draft. He hasn't lived up to the hype.

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2016/09/saints-to-cut-qb-garrett-grayson

Possibly give him a tryout? Can't be worse than Sudfeld.

Saints selected Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson with the No. 75 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.
Grayson (6'3/213) made 35 starts for CSU, earning Mountain West Offensive POY as a senior and wrapping his career with a 62.1 completion rate and 54:25 TD-to-INT ratio. A plus athlete, Grayson ran 4.72/4.78 at his Pro Day, also impressing in the vertical (34") and broad (10'1") jumps. Grayson made anticipation throws from the pocket in Colorado State's pro-style offense, took 91 percent of his snaps from under center, and showed an ability to deliver the football under duress. His arm strength is average, however, and Grayson's ball placement is inconsistent. He would do well to settle in as a high-end NFL backup. Fortunately, he lands with offensive guru coach Sean Payton and will get to learn behind Drew Brees. Fri, May 1, 2015 10:16:00 PM

Wow. Hadn't been following Grayson but just assumed he was on track, getting the long term development treatment behind Brees. I didn't assume he'd be Rodgers or anything when it was his time, but to straight up cut him this soon? He must suck. Brees is a stat whore (worse than Peyton imo) so he'll try to play until he's 42 or 43 anyways, if he can.

4 minutes ago, Yeen80 said:

I personally still would prefer Niles Paul. While Davis has had a good career, this seems more like a McCloughan man crush from his SF days.

I don't think the GM decides who plays as these are usually coache's decisions.  It really doesn't matter who starts because both will get significant playing time barring an injury.

Hail Em Up!

Our TE blocking was atrocious last year. OK non existent. I have a sneaking suspicion that Vernon is a better blocker, and that will give him the nod. I see Niles as more of a hybrid and swiss army kniles knife - he is a former receiver after all. He can do a little of what Reed and Vernon do - I project him to be the dual backup for both of them, and run around on teams.

1 minute ago, arftech said:

I don't think the GM decides who plays as these are usually coache's decisions.  It really doesn't matter who starts because both will get significant playing time barring an injury.

Hail Em Up!

My point was the fact that Vernon is even here is only because of McC.

15 minutes ago, Yeen80 said:

I personally still would prefer Niles Paul. While Davis has had a good career, this seems more like a McCloughan man crush from his SF days.

Davis is still one of the better blocking TEs in the NFL. One of the big issues with our run blocking last year was poor blocking from the TE spot - Davis will help a lot in that regard. He can still run as well and provide a solid target in the passing game although with Jackson, Reed, Garcon, Crowder and hopefully soon Doctson there will not be that many targets left for the #2 TE.

We currently have an estimated 48 million in cap space next year and about 15 million that would carry over to next year. If there is 5 million used for in season signings and such, we'd have 58 million next offseason. Luck was 6/140 (or 23.3 mill per). Even if Cousins went 6/150, it's 25 mill per (yes he'd push for more than the 47 mill that Luck has guaranteed. ) More than 25 million and the skins would probably franchise Cousins again. Either way, there is no way they come close to using that 58 million on Cousins, even half. For those saying we have millions in cap, we are no longer a team that will fill all the holes through FA. Get used to it. Half of that money came from cutting Riley, Paea and that was after pre-season. There is dead money associated with cutting them. It made more sense to try to get something out of what you have, then cut them and pay someone else even the same money. The skins will have the flexibility to sign all the big names they want next year. But I'll save you the excitement/concern. They won't do it, unless it's a perfect fit in their minds (aka Norman).

On September 5, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe, but I'm a big believer that if your DL is being pushed backwards, then the gaps that the 2nd level guys are supposed to run to just don't exist.  Or they exist after a 3 yard run.

Some great comments in here regarding scheme, but I have to agree VOR that men are put on the field to, at the very least, control their space.  Not last season nor this pre-season did I see our starters achieve this. Occasionally, yes, but not a regular occurrence - hence the poor run defense stats.

Another thing that worries me is a feeling I have when regarding the 2012 defense and this years.  We had a lot of turnovers in each season that led to a false confidence of our defense's aptitude.  And when the turnovers didn't repeat in 2013, our defense was horrid.  Let's hope we can still gin up those turnovers!

13 hours ago, mikeDinNYC said:

DC... your gif makes me dizzy to the point i can't read your posts... i respect the creativity, but can you please change it?

Yeah, I'll have to find something else that fits my personality.  I identify as a gun at a gunfight.

48 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Davis is still one of the better blocking TEs in the NFL. One of the big issues with our run blocking last year was poor blocking from the TE spot - Davis will help a lot in that regard. He can still run as well and provide a solid target in the passing game although with Jackson, Reed, Garcon, Crowder and hopefully soon Doctson there will not be that many targets left for the #2 TE.

I think as big an issue as poor blocking, was that our TEs were all brittle.  Change was needed and Scot got a reliable blocker he trusts.

I think it would be dumb to return the exact same 4 IMO.

First order of business may be Vernon showing Reed how to hold and get away with it. Although in Reed's defense, it seemed like he was singled out somewhat last year. A TE or OL hold on every damn run play, if not multiple players.

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Yeah, I'll have to find something else that fits my personality.  I identify as a gun at a gunfight.

Or, folks can hide your slinger signature with but two mouse clicks, on any one of your posts.

Hint - look for the X. It used to "mark the spot" back in the day, but now it means to make things go away.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wow. Hadn't been following Grayson but just assumed he was on track, getting the long term development treatment behind Brees. I didn't assume he'd be Rodgers or anything when it was his time, but to straight up cut him this soon? He must suck. Brees is a stat whore (worse than Peyton imo) so he'll try to play until he's 42 or 43 anyways, if he can.

Think he was cut to sign Jahri Evans... most likely going to their practice squad I would think

I think it's interesting that people continue to blame our run defense on the DL.  The DL is certainly weak, but I am surprised that people don't discuss our lack of talent at ILB more than they do.  Last year, Compton and Foster sucked against the run.  Everyone says Compton has made big strides this year, but I still think his limitations will be exposed.  Hopefully the addition of Spaight will be helpful.  In short, I'm not sure our ILBs on paper are any more impressive than our DL.  

I too am not sold on Compton. In a traditional 34 the insides should be free for lots of tackles and they should be easy to see.  Maybe our defense is more complex than it needs to be, because outside of some late season Foster, our insiders were invisible most of the year. Haters of the 34 quickly hear that we are rarely in the 34. Yet, we run the 34 and all our players are cut from the molds of a 34 starting with a 330 pound Keds as our nose, and huge outside backers.

I am still wondering what happened to Keenan, and also wondering how he is good enough to be now starting for the GMen.

4 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

The Giants had the 32nd ranked D in the league last year, that's how he got a starting job.

You mean 24th?  Anyways, was the blame put on the Gs DL, like it generally is here?   Many argue it ALL starts in the trenches.

I don't think our defense was ALL that much better - I see us at 22. What made us "better" may be argued a weak sauce schedule IIRC, but we also forced fumbles, something that we had heard preached for decades, but Barry made it happen somehow.  Preston, Will Compton Blackmon, Baker, and Breeland led the attack.

Archived