Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

35 minutes ago, HapHaszard said:

From what I've observed during the preseason, our run defense is much better than last year.  When our first team was on the field there were not a lot of yards running given up.  I'm not saying its great but it is at least a vast improvement.  Preseason snaps were limited for the first team D, and until we get into a game planned situation we really won't know for sure.  I'm still encouraged by what I saw.

To be fair, considering our running D was crappy last year, it's not that hard to improve it :)

20 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Holy **** we have Lewis Nix?  Nice!!!!!!!

It's Louis Nix, not Lewis.

As many I was interested in us drafting him, it'll be nice if he overcame all those knees surgeries he had and can take coaching. Otherwise, he won't last long. But if he does, it'll be a nice steal.

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't think the steelers can stop our passing attack. 

Steelers were third worst last year in passing yards per game given up. They were middle of the pack in every other area, They aren't awful but they aren't great. The issue I forsee is we won't be balanced enough on offense to take advantage of the receivers we have. Every team this year will plan to make us prove we can gain yards on the ground and not give us any credit there over loading on the passing coverage. Cousins dink and dunk short passing should be effective (worst ADOT in the league for yards passes were in the air) in gaining yards but without a running game we aren't likely to be able to sustain drives being one dimensional against them and could get steam rolled by them in there running game like the last game against the Packers

12 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Feel like our biggest weakness this offseason was not addressing the RB position. We screwed the pooch there so badly it makes me believe as smart as SM is that was not a mistake but calculated plan of which I do not see any point in doing when we are not that far off from being a top 10 team in this league. I will continue to believe that this is the achilles heel on the offense and keeping Sudfeld is/was a mistake over another body at that position.

Sudfeld won't ever make anything of himself in this league and worrying about being the only QB signed next year is so short sighted it irritates me to see it repeated. Does anyone saying that actually believe when the season starts in 2017 we won't have QBs signed? If that's why we kept him I'm disappointed in the decision makers for making such a stupid 

3rd string QBs don't get traded (First overall draft picked QBs get traded) those who think we have a trade chip with Sudfeld, The best 6th round drafted QB of all time we all know is Tom Brady, now name another 6th round drafted QB who ever did anything at all in this league? Between 2001-2014 there were 25 QBs taken in round 6 of the draft, of them you have Tom Brady and everyone else.  Hoping for anything more then an arm to save Cousins arm during the off week here is really asking too much.

Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Joe Theisman, Mark Rypien...

4 on there were even Redskins. Nice try though 

5 hours ago, Aireskoi said:

Please go back and read again so you can stop this.  You're missing the point.

Norman started 16 games as a Rookie in 2012.  He was not cut and put on PS for week 1 or any week after that his Rookie season.  I didn't say he was great, just that he flashed early and got the starts.  Please post a link otherwise or let it go.

Edit... 

I am not missing anything. You said it was clear from the start that he was legit and showed only 2012 paragraph. So yes, he started in 2012. But then In that same Wiki page (didn't think I needed to repost your own link, do I?) it states he lost his starting job going into 2013 then was almost released in 2014. Just because he won the starting job in 2012, that means nothing. He was close to being released not too long after that.

The point is, and has always been that you can't predict what these guys are going to do, especially not before they even play a single game. Just because Norman started in 2012, it was no promise of anything more since he promptly lost his starting job then was almost released.

7 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Joe Theisman, Mark Rypien...

3 on there were even Redskins. Nice try though 

Your talking ancient history there buddy, At least 8 names there of your 11 you said weren't drafted in the last 20 years. How is that meaningful in any way? 25 QBs were drafted between 2001-2014 in the 6th round and pretty much all of them were wasted picks, This is not saying its impossible to find someone that late in the drafts but the likelihood of that happening is near impossible. Not impossible, near impossible big difference.

Guess your a Sudfeld believer, I hope your right but I'd bet your wrong. Sorry just being honest

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I am not missing anything. You said it was clear from the start that he was legit and showed only 2012 paragraph. So yes, he started in 2012. But then In that same Wiki page (didn't think I needed to repost your own link, do I?) it states he lost his starting job going into 2013 then was almost released in 2014. Just because he won the starting job in 2012, that means nothing. He was close to being released not too long after that.

The point is, and has always been that you can't predict what these guys are going to do, especially not before they even play a single game. Just because Norman started in 2012, it was no promise of anything more since he promptly lost his starting job then was almost released.

He was talking about the 2nd and 3rd years?

8 hours ago, daveakl said:

ODB was just an injured wr during his 1st training camp.

Deone Bucannon was just more of a tweener then a true S or LB.

And our own Josh Norman was a 5th round CB5 his first camp.

Let's give the dudes a few games before declaring it a bad offseason.

2/3 were not a surprise because they were 1st rounders.  The other one (JN) started 16 games because he played at a high level early.   I quoted the part that showed he flashed early (wiki), the rest of it was irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Your talking ancient history there buddy, At least 8 names there of your 11 you said weren't drafted in the last 20 years. How is that meaningful in any way? 25 QBs were drafted between 2001-2014 in the 6th round and pretty much all of them were wasted picks, This is not saying its impossible to find someone that late in the drafts but the likelihood of that happening is near impossible. Not impossible, near impossible big difference.

Guess your a Sudfeld believer, I hope your right but I'd bet your wrong. Sorry just being honest

Doesnt matter if it's 2 years or 25 years, it goes against your statement

you say he won't do anything, some people think he'll do something. Seems pretty foolish to bet one way or the other when history shows football players come in all shapes, forms, and rounds...

honestly, I don't know if he'll be good or not, but I'm surprised that you know already that he'll suck... Same goes with any football player in the NFL 

4 minutes ago, Aireskoi said:

He was talking about the 2nd and 3rd years?

2/3 were not a surprise because they were 1st rounders.  The other one (JN) started 16 games because he played at a high level early.   I quoted the part that showed he flashed early (wiki), the rest of it was irrelevant.

But the rest was not irrelevant. That was the whole point. The other poster was making the point that it takes time to know what you really have. You keep only looking at it one way. I will agree it's time to move on. Not getting anywhere here. It's too nice a day!

34 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

The issue I forsee is we won't be balanced enough on offense to take advantage of the receivers we have.

We weren't balance at the end of last year, and we took advantage just find.  The problem was more when we tried to be balanced, and couldn't be.

I understand that they NEED to call some run plays because that's how they get to the play-action shots.  But I don't think they HAVE to.  As evidenced by a putrid running game almost all of last season, combined with the highest passing numbers in 'Skins history.  

39 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

To be fair, considering our running D was crappy last year, it's not that hard to improve it :)

And we don't really know if it's improved yet.  We'll see.  I predict it being similarly crappy.  Because we just don't have bodies on the DL, either when we're in a 3 or 4 man look, to occupy the OL, so our LBs are getting hit 5 yards down field, and can't plug holes.  

1 hour ago, nemocystem said:

The beating of the horse comes from people who seem to keep missing where the team staff has stated in unison that they believe the (defensive) run game issues last season were largely due to getting caught in bad personnel situations (see: playoff game vs GB), & not getting our fits, & missing tackles on the 2nd level.

Tape review shows that the DL was mostly doing what was being asked of them...so it really doesn't make sense to go & scupper good personnel decisions so we could reach for "stud" DL who really weren't all that impressive in this draft.  The biggest issue came from the ILBs, & secondary.  They believe this has been addressed by adding Spaight (injury), & Cravens...Hall getting a year under his belt at FS, & acquiring Bruton to add depth/competition with Ihenacho.  

Add to that what Norman brings on a physical level at the edge, & that Compton has improved significantly in terms of diagnosing plays, & i would lean towards agreeing with their assessment.

It's all on a "remains to be seen" basis, but to say it hasn't been addressed really just means you haven't really been paying attention.

Maybe it is missed because it wasn't stated over and over again last year...but multiple people pointed this out during the season...and after...then the staff said it.  The ILBs and SSs were terrible in their run fits.  You people who blame the DL for the run DEF failures last year either have some weird anti Redskin/GMSM agenda or don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Now yes the DL does have trouble creating pressure on the QB...but that's not what I hear you guys ****ing about so...

2 hours ago, MariusVT said:

The reality is, if we had gone dline heavy and done nothing with the secondary, then people would be calling the offseason a loss for that.

I posted something a while ago that, for whatever reason, from the drafts between 2010 and 2014, there are a whopping 6 players remaining on the team. 

It's going to take quite a bit of time and consistency to rectify that.  GMSM has to pick and choose where he spends his draft picks.  It seemed like the most important thing was to fix the offense first, and plug the defense as best he could.

I imagine he could have gone about it the opposite way.  Drafted Leonard Williams, and then gone from there.  But I think there was, at least at the time of the 2015 draft, still a lot of interest in getting Griffin the best supporting offensive cast they could to see if he had the goods to produce here.  Hence the OL pick.  

It's going to take 3-4 drafts like we had in 205, which have 4-5 contributors, before we have the luxury of getting away from the plug-in guys.  

It just kindof is what it is...

Surprised that Louis Nix still had some PS eligibility left.  Man, he's had one knee injury after another .... Not sure what he's got left.

Still, it's a low risk to give him a look-see for a spot on the practice squad.

Did anyone pick up Knighton?

2 hours ago, nemocystem said:

The beating of the horse comes from people who seem to keep missing where the team staff has stated in unison that they believe the (defensive) run game issues last season were largely due to getting caught in bad personnel situations (see: playoff game vs GB), & not getting our fits, & missing tackles on the 2nd level.

Tape review shows that the DL was mostly doing what was being asked of them...so it really doesn't make sense to go & scupper good personnel decisions so we could reach for "stud" DL who really weren't all that impressive in this draft.  The biggest issue came from the ILBs, & secondary.  They believe this has been addressed by adding Spaight (injury), & Cravens...Hall getting a year under his belt at FS, & acquiring Bruton to add depth/competition with Ihenacho.  

Add to that what Norman brings on a physical level at the edge, & that Compton has improved significantly in terms of diagnosing plays, & i would lean towards agreeing with their assessment.

It's all on a "remains to be seen" basis, but to say it hasn't been addressed really just means you haven't really been paying attention.

I just don't believe that Baker, Goldston, Ricky Jean and company can occupy blocks long enough and re-establish the LOS in the backfield enough to allow the ILB and Safeties the ability to plug the holes.  Maybe they will, but I'm not so sure.  One thing I am sure of is that Pittsburgh is going to find out if they can stop the run with 7.  Because the second Ben sees the 8th guy in the box, the ball is going to get launched down field.  

3 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I just did a news google search on Knighton, and it turned up nothing about being added anywhere.  So I'm guessing no.

I don't think that he comes back.  If he didn't work out, and from my understanding, didn't even really play for the Patriots, then I'm not sure why we would want to kick the tires again.  

Pity, I have a custom Pot Roast jersey which my wonderful wife gave me for my BDay last year, which is just going to go to waste. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because the second Ben sees the 8th guy in the box, the ball is going to get launched down field.  

Well, he's going to have to keep up with Kirk. And I'll take The Skins receivers over the Iron & Carbon* receivers. AND I'll take the Skins D backfield over the Iron & Carbon* D backfield. 

*Boycotting the PIT NFL team name as it disrespects the hardworking people who make the product they so shamelessly endorse.  

I think Knighton was not so effective as a 2-gapper, which was what the Patriots were asking him to do.

Also, I expect Pot Roast's performance wasn't living up to the salary he'd negotiated with New England.  

Hang on to that jersey, I don't think it's yet 100% that Knighton won't be back in some capacity with the Skins.... Especially if the price is right.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

4 on there were even Redskins. Nice try though 

Great post, but actually 5 of those were Redskins. 

On 9/3/2016 at 0:16 PM, SkinsGuy said:

Back-ups is your opinion though, not a fact.

Apparently, GMSM and Coach Gruden don't agree with you.

Now, who should I listen to? GMSM or some random internet guy? ;) 

Nobody is trying to convince YOU of anything. Backups is fact. The defensive line is comprised of recycled guys who were unable to start or keep a starting job elsewhere. 

You can toe the line as much as you like and believe everything is fine and dandy, it's your deal. But don't go looking down your nose at everyone else who is not happy with the state of the DL and say well SM knows better, blah blah blah. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I posted something a while ago that, for whatever reason, from the drafts between 2010 and 2014, there are a whopping 6 players remaining on the team. 

It's going to take quite a bit of time and consistency to rectify that.  GMSM has to pick and choose where he spends his draft picks.  It seemed like the most important thing was to fix the offense first, and plug the defense as best he could.

I imagine he could have gone about it the opposite way.  Drafted Leonard Williams, and then gone from there.  But I think there was, at least at the time of the 2015 draft, still a lot of interest in getting Griffin the best supporting offensive cast they could to see if he had the goods to produce here.  Hence the OL pick.  

It's going to take 3-4 drafts like we had in 205, which have 4-5 contributors, before we have the luxury of getting away from the plug-in guys.  

It just kindof is what it is...

unfortunately 2016 isn't going to be one of those drafts since only one of the last four picks made the team and he's the guy you hope doesn't have to play

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

Surprised that Louis Nix still had some PS eligibility left.  Man, he's had one knee injury after another .... Not sure what he's got left.

Still, it's a low risk to give him a look-see for a spot on the practice squad.

well, he was only drafted two years ago

Archived