Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

On 8/20/2016 at 2:44 PM, LetThePointsSoar said:

What's the story here, is Kelley above Marshall now on the depth chart?   Kid reminds me a little of Steven Jackson with his style of running.  

I think the better question would be has Kelley passed Matt Jones on the depth chart.  Kelley is way past Marshall, who will likely not make the 53-roster even if healthy.  Kelley runs okay, but the thing I like most about him is his pass blocking.  He seems to be better than all the other RBs on the roster in that respect.  And, pass protection may be a skill set even more important than running nowadays for a RB.

1 hour ago, HanburgerBum said:

I think the better question would be has Kelley passed Matt Jones on the depth chart.  Kelley is way past Marshall, who will likely not make the 53-roster even if healthy.  Kelley runs okay, but the thing I like most about him is his pass blocking.  He seems to be better than all the other RBs on the roster in that respect.  And, pass protection may be a skill set even more important than running nowadays for a RB.

It'll be interesting.  Deep class for RBs next year and I think Scot would like to keep our picks if we can.  I think if we add one it'll be a vet that gets cut or one that's on the street now.

In that "who scores the most TDs thread" from earlier in the spring I actually picked Kelley.  And that was just off of watching him play in 4 plays in OTAs.  He's got the goods.  Not sure he's going to be a pro bowler, but he'll be servicable.  I think Pierre Thomas or the like will come during the season when their contracts won't be guaranteed.

44 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

No. We can't cut Keith Marshall. He has 94 speed on Madden!

All joking aside (not joking), we go into the season with Jones, Thompson, Brown and Kelley?

That's terrible. 

I'm not sure where Brown falls on the new practice squad rules (I forgot them already) but I'm sure he'll find his way there if he's eligible.  He's a great "next man up" type but I'm not sure he rates being on the 53.

I think it'll be Jones, Thompson, Kelley and Thomas or another vet.

I feel like the Skins might end up keeping just three RBs, with a 4th stashed on the practice squad.  That's all they really carried last year, with the 4th,Darryl Young being a fullback.  This year that'll be a TE, so why have the fourth back?

Anyone else feeling like we might end up with 24 people on O and 26 on D?  We've got a lot of defensive players working well right now.  Meanwhile unless we do something like keep 7 WRs, there's not a lot of O guys who weren't aready on the team demanding a roster spot

Wish the Rams were going to cut one of Benny Cunningham or Malcolm Brown, but with Tre Mason going off the reservation they're both locks looks like. Shame. Both those guys look great behind Gurley, running angry and decisive and Cunningham can catch the hell out of the ball, very solid safe receiver out of the backfield like Bilal Powell. 

15 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Same as last year ... plug in Kelley for AlMo ... get PT (or Bishop Sankey) warmed up.

I'm still bewildered Scot did not pull the trigger on Derrick Henry.

Oh well ... 

Pierre Thomas wasn't signed until Matt Jones went down.

19 hours ago, DC9 said:

It'll be interesting.  Deep class for RBs next year and I think Scot would like to keep our picks if we can.  I think if we add one it'll be a vet that gets cut or one that's on the street now.

In that "who scores the most TDs thread" from earlier in the spring I actually picked Kelley.  And that was just off of watching him play in 4 plays in OTAs.  He's got the goods.  Not sure he's going to be a pro bowler, but he'll be servicable.  I think Pierre Thomas or the like will come during the season when their contracts won't be guaranteed.

I'm not sure where Brown falls on the new practice squad rules (I forgot them already) but I'm sure he'll find his way there if he's eligible.  He's a great "next man up" type but I'm not sure he rates being on the 53.

I think it'll be Jones, Thompson, Kelley and Thomas or another vet.

Good eye on your part for spotting Kelley so early.  I knew nothing about him until a friend and fellow Skins fan told me to keep an eye on him.  Put me in the camp that isn't panicking over the RB situation.  If Jones will be healthy soon, I don't think the Skins need any additional RB.  That's not to say the team should not pick a RB up if a good one becomes available at low cost.  But, I see no problem going with Kelley, Jones, Thompson (with Paul as an emergency back).  All I am looking for is a RB who can pass block and run enough to keep the defense honest.  I think Kelley has shown he can do that.

As for a deep class of RBs in the next draft, it's too early to be worrying about that.  My preference would be not spending a high pick on a RB.

4 minutes ago, HanburgerBum said:

As for a deep class of RBs in the next draft, it's too early to be worrying about that.  My preference would be not spending a high pick on a RB.

I agree 100%.  Hopefully the league doesn't trend back that way.  Though if Elliott was available when we picked this year I would've lost my mind if we didn't pick him, I think he's the exception.

I think 2nd round or 3rd round (where we got Jones) is about the right spot to do it.

17 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'd be shocked if we only kept 3 RB's.....I fully expect to keep Jones, Kelley, Thompson and a RB we trade for and sign once released.

I thought we could get away with only keeping two QB's and stashing Sudfeld on the PS, but I think he's shown enough that someone would put him on the 53.

Why should you be shocked if the Skins keep only 3 RBs plus Paul?  Only 1 RB plays on any offensive snap, and that's less than even TEs (because the Skins will use double-TE formations).  Moreover, the importance of RBs has become low in today's NFL.  I would much rather keep Sudfeld instead of a 4th RB.

12 minutes ago, HanburgerBum said:

Why should you be shocked if the Skins keep only 3 RBs plus Paul?  Only 1 RB plays on any offensive snap, and that's less than even TEs (because the Skins will use double-TE formations).  Moreover, the importance of RBs has become low in today's NFL.  I would much rather keep Sudfeld instead of a 4th RB.

Jones is unproven and injury prone....Thompson is a 3rd down back; who's injury prone....Rob Kelley is still just Rob Kelley

Marshall is go to the PS, and we might look to see who's on the last day of cuts. Some teams are loaded at RB, kinda like we are at WR and CB. Some gppd players will be out there. And, there is Pierre Thomas out there and he fits pretty well with what we are doing.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Marshall is go to the PS, and we might look to see who's on the last day of cuts. Some teams are loaded at RB, kinda like we are at WR and CB. Some gppd players will be out there. And, there is Pierre Thomas out there and he fits pretty well with what we are doing.

Part of me wondered when we drafted Marshall, if he was going to be a replacement for Thompson.  They offer similar skillsets and are both unfortunately prone to injury.  But I think a little time on the practice squad will help him get his stuff together.  But I have that as two RBs on the practice squad for now (again, if Mack's eligible - the old rules were so much easier lol) and I'm not sure that's the best way to go.  But I think the way you justify that is that Mack will be the "next man up" and Marshall will be the "groomee."

5 hours ago, HanburgerBum said:

the importance of RBs has become low in today's NFL.  I would much rather keep Sudfeld instead of a 4th RB.

Strongly agree with this point by HamburgerBum.  If the coaching staff feels that Sudfeld is worth keeping around, then I would prefer that they invest in him rather than keep another Back.  

in the early stages you could tell Kelley was going to be good. the way he cuts and runs, he just sticks out. brown looks good as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelley makes it hands down and mack brown could sneak in the 53 and jones could start on the pup list. keep in mind that injury is gonna be brutal. every time he hits someones hes gonna feel it.. this injury isn't going to go away anytime soon guys.

Knowing what we know now, would we have been much better if ScottM didn't spend a 3rd round pick on Jones but on a Center or a DE since we had Morris, Thompson and whoever we could have brought in to compete with them last year?   Jones man, looks more and more as a wasted 3rd round pick.

Archived