Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

Peppers is the exact opposite of the type of vet pass rusher you'd want influencing the young guys, even if he was available. He's always gotten by on his monster physical talents, and he's almost always been an underachieving jackwagon.

Actually Peppers is a very hard worker and very valuable team leader. He is the Packers captain and gave the best pregame speech Mike Mccarthy and some of the players on the Packers ever heard in 2014.

He wasn't a team leader when he was younger back in his Carolina days but was always a hard worker. The Charlotte media painted Peppers as lazy which was total BS. Peppers is one of the greatest defensive players of all time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Peppers

College Football Awards and honors Edit

Sporting News Freshman All-American (1999)

First-team All-ACC (2000)

Second-team Associated Press All-American (2000)

Second-team Football News All-American (2000)

Division I-A sacks leader (2000)

First-team All-ACC (2001)

Consensus first-team All-American (2001)

Bronko Nagurski Trophy finalist (2001)

Chuck Bednarik Award (2001)

Bill Willis Trophy (2001)

Lombardi Award (2001)

NFL awards and honors

NFL Rookie of the Month (10/02)

2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year

Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team (2002)

2004 NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman of the Year

2004 NFC Defensive Player of the Year

2013 Brian Piccolo Award

NFL 2000s All Decade Team

Pro-Football-Reference All 2000s Team

100 Sacks Club

2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 NFC Pro Bowl

2004, 2006, 2010 All-Pro First Team

2008, 2009, 2012 All-Pro Second Team

Six time NFC Defensive Player of the Week (11/13/06, 11/9/08, 11/1/09, 11/18/10, 12/23/12, 10/2/2014)

Four time NFC Defensive Player of the Month (11/2004, 10/2006, 11/2010, 11/2011)

Panthers franchise records Edit

Most career sacks: (81)

Most career forced fumbles: (30)

Longest Interception return: 97 yards (vs. Denver Broncos 10/10/04)

NFL records and accomplishments Edit

Tied for ninth most sacks in NFL history: 136

Tied for fourth most double digit sack seasons in NFL history: 9

Tied for fifth most games with at least three sacks: 9

Tied for tenth most multiple sack games in NFL history: 34

Tied for fifth most forced fumbles in NFL history: 45

Second most interceptions by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 9 *11 career interceptions including time played as a linebacker

Most interception return yards by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 192 yds *293 career interception return yards including time played as a linebacker

Most interception return yards in a single season by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 143 yds

Most interception return yards in a single game by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds

Longest interception return by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds

Most combined interception and fumble return yards by a defensive lineman in a single season since NFL merger in 1970: 203 yds

Tied for second most interceptions returned for a touchdown by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 2 *4 career interceptions returned for a touchdown including time played as a linebacker

Third most passes defensed by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 62 *73 career passes defensed including time played as a linebacker

Second most blocked kicks in NFL history: 13

Only player in NFL history to record at least 100 sacks and 10 interceptions

Only player in NFL history with 100-plus sacks and four interceptions returned for touchdowns

Peppers has three career games with at least a half-sack and an interception-return touchdown, the most such games in the NFL since the sack became an official statistic in 1982

That could be true. I haven't followed Peppers at all in GB but should have known that for him to be made one of their very, very few outside FA acquisitions in recent memory he'd have to impress them in many ways.

I guess I'm thinking of the younger version of Peppers, which might not be fair to him. You said that the media basically demonized him in Carolina...why, being one of their best players ever? So he wasn't a lazy turd even when he played for them? This is interesting to me, due to the reports I've always viewed him that way and perhaps underappreciated him because of it. Although he hasn't exactly been one of the best in a long time, it seems he's been very consistent for a very long time which is another way to put together a great career resume.

That could be true. I haven't followed Peppers at all in GB but should have known that for him to be made one of their very, very few outside FA acquisitions in recent memory he'd have to impress them in many ways.

I guess I'm thinking of the younger version of Peppers, which might not be fair to him. You said that the media basically demonized him in Carolina...why, being one of their best players ever? So he wasn't a lazy turd even when he played for them? This is interesting to me, due to the reports I've always viewed him that way and perhaps underappreciated him because of it. Although he hasn't exactly been one of the best in a long time, it seems he's been very consistent for a very long time which is another way to put together a great career resume.

Read post number 6 and 7 in this Packers thread. Peppers doesn't take plays off.

http://forum.packerchatters.com/index.php?topic=3335.0;nowap

I wouldn't mind a Peppers in the squad.  Price would have to be right, and I'm not sure he'd be motivated at what we can offer him.

He was never gonna make it to week 1, IMO. Pierre Thomas could be there all year. He was available into Nov/Dec last year.

Well obviously he didn't, but I don't know that it was a bad idea to wait.  That's a lot of money to tie up in someone who is older and you don't know if they can still play/still want to play, even with the performance last year.

Atlanta owes him the whole kit and kaboodle even if they cut him.  If they waited until after week 1 not all of the money is guaranteed, it's prorated per game.

Wouldn't hurt to bring in someone like LaMar Woodley for a tryout... if he's only playing on a limited basis, he could be a decent stop-gap.

I'm for bringing in anybody for a tryout almost all the time. At worst, they're out the cost of a plane ticket.

I live in Charlotte, saw him play a lot of games.  My uncle had season tickets, saw every single one of his games.  He absolutely took plays off and would disappear at times in the game.  His amazing athletic ability allowed him to get by doing that.  

Was it every game, every other play?  No, but there were times it was obvious he was taking plays off.  

I live in Charlotte, saw him play a lot of games. My uncle had season tickets, saw every single one of his games. He absolutely took plays off and would disappear at times in the game. His amazing athletic ability allowed him to get by doing that.

Was it every game, every other play? No, but there were times it was obvious he was taking plays off.

Wrong. Just because he didn't get a sack every other play didn't mean he wasn't playing hard. Fans don't know what responsibility a player might have on any given play, so maybe you think he should be rushing the qb but in fact he was asked to keep backside contain, etc. Looks like he ain't doing nothing but that is not the case.

From the previous mentioned Packers forum...

http://forum.packerchatters.com/index.php?topic=3335.0;nowap

http://tisdelstirades.blogspot.com/2014/03/in-defense-of-julius-peppers-and-his.html In Defense of Julius Peppers and his Supposedly Inconstant Motor

Former Panthers and current Packers DL coach Mike Trgovac told ESPN Wisconsin this, two years ago:

There have been times during Peppers’ career when his effort level has been questioned, but Trgovac insisted that Peppers was never lazy during his time coaching him. “Everybody said that about Julius, and the more we researched it, the more it wasn't true,” Trgovac said. “You've got to be careful sometimes. Sometimes somebody will give a guy a label and it'll get spread around like it did with Julius, and it wasn't true. Julius works his [inappropriate/removed] off and has been a great player. So you have to be careful. Sometimes a bad rumor gets started about a kid and it just keeps going and multiplying. So you have to make the decision for yourself.”

Israel Idonije, Bears teammate, had this to say: "Just watch him; watch the guy practice,” Idonije said. “He gives everything, and works hard from the beginning of practice until the end. And he’s not just doing his own thing. He’s doing what the coaches have asked."

The Packers' Mike Daniels, after going through OTAs with Peppers, had this to say on 6/30:

"Julius is 34 years old, and he outruns everybody in practice. I guess what I learned from him is that you have to bring it every day because he’s a guy who definitely does. At 34, playing defensive end, flying around faster than some defensive backs, linebackers, receivers, running backs --- everybody. I definitely learn from that.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4669770/trgovac-nothing-wrong-with-peppers-motor

"He had it [the reputation] coming out of college," Trgovac said Tuesday at Super Bowl media day. "I always attribute it to [the fact] he's so smooth and natural. I was his position coach his rookie year, and he was rookie of the year by the way, and he only played 12 games. I did every [college] game on him because we had just been hired there in Carolina and Houston already said they were going to take quarterback David Carr, so we had to choose between Julius and Joey Harrington.

"People always talked about him taking plays off and doing this, but he's just so smooth and natural that he does things so easy that people think he's being lazy. But Julius plays hard. That reputation has always followed him, and maybe will always follow him for his whole career. I don't know, I hope not, because he is a really good guy. He commands a lot of attention. What was really impressive for us [in Carolina] was his work ethic in practice. He busts his butt in practice and I don't think the kid ever got enough credit for that."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-08/sports/chi-chicago-bears-julius-peppers-mar08_1_mike-rucker-julius-peppers-john-fox

In Charlotte, N.C., they still talk about the back-to-back plays Julius Peppers made in a game in Denver in 2004.

On third-and-3, he pushed Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer out of bounds on a bootleg after a 2-yard gain. Then on fourth-and-1, he intercepted Plummer's pass and ran it back 97 yards.

That is how Peppers will be remembered by John Fox, the only NFL head coach Peppers has known.

"Pep's a heck of a player," Fox said Monday. "I knew he'd be a guy who would be one of the first to get signed. He hasn't had any injuries. He's clean as a whistle medically. I know he's 30, but he looks just like he did when he was 22."

Fox dispelled the notion that the Bears' new defensive end takes a lot of plays off. He said effort was not a problem for Peppers.

"He trains and works hard," Fox said. "He's a great kid. He's quiet, but he leads by example."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagobears/post/_/id/4665348/peppers-relishes-his-fresh-start

While at Carolina, Peppers didn’t always receive such praise from teammates. Peppers’ critics -- who often spoke of a tendency for the defensive end to take plays off -- caused him to close out people and take a guarded stance toward dealing with the media.

Peppers said “it was definitely time” for his departure from Carolina back in March, “not only from that team, but from the state period. I was there for 30 years. That’s my home state; I love it. I still plan to live there after I retire, but you need a change of scenery sometimes. You need to get away.”

Now that he’s accomplished the change, Peppers wants to finally silence the critics. One NFL coach who worked with Peppers in Carolina, held the same beliefs about a perceived lack of effort from the defensive end.

“When we were evaluating before we got him, I thought that too. Then one of our coaches gave me tape from the [2002] combine,” the coach said. “He said watch this one first; then watch Julius. I watched the first guy, he’s straining through this drill, grunting, making all kinds of faces. Right after that, Peppers comes up and goes through the same drill [the coach imitates an effortless run]. Smooth. You look at your watch, and Peppers just smoked the time [of the player in the first drill]. He just makes it look so easy sometimes it looks like he’s not trying.”

Peppers laughed at the story, before agreeing and adding his spin.

“You know, I think sometimes certain players – and I don’t name names – but certain players have a certain haircut, they have certain sack celebrations. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. That stuff can make it seem like you’re playing hard when really, you’re playing [about the same] as everybody else,” Peppers said. “You’re just bringing that extra attention to yourself. Just because I go about it mild mannered and I don’t do all of that stuff, maybe that’s something to talk about, too. If you hear [the criticism] from a coach that’s a different story. But I have yet to hear that from a coach. People who say it and watch the game don’t really understand my responsibilities on certain plays. If my play is not to run and chase the ball, if my play is to stay backside, then I’ve got to stay backside. I’ve got to be disciplined. I can’t run across the field and chase stuff that’s not mine. I can’t help that stuff comes easy sometimes; easier than somebody else. So I deal with it and hopefully, after this year, people won’t say that anymore.”

Still, critics will justifiably question whether the Bears paid too much for a player who could be entering the crossroads of his career. There’s also the legitimate concern that Peppers -- now that he’s received the big paycheck (he’ll make $40.5 million in the first three years) -- won't be motivated to play hard.

“That’s not my moral fiber, my character,” Peppers said. “I’m not above criticism. I can [take that] constructive[ly]; not saying that I believe it’s true. But if that’s something I have a chance to prove people wrong about, then I welcome that criticism. There’s pressure to perform. Being rewarded by this organization in that way only makes me want to play harder and repay them for what they did for me.”

Aside from the financial aspect of the situation, what the Bears did for Peppers, he said, was breathe new life into a career that had become stale.

Asked if he felt reborn with the Bears, Peppers started laughing almost uncontrollably.

“I guess you could call it that,” he said. “It’s definitely a change of scenery and a fresh start; a breath of fresh air to me. I’m happy, comfortable, and trying to stay that way for a long time.”

That could make for a lot of uncomfortable quarterbacks, for a long time as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-peppersbears011411

Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli approached the offseason evaluation of defensive end Julius Peppers with caution.

The second overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft, Peppers was a five-time Pro Bowl selection who had racked up 25 sacks in the previous two seasons, yet, during the 2010 offseason, he was an unrestricted free agent.

“We did a lot of homework on him,” Smith said, “and everything came back the same.”

Despite his immense NFL success – 81 sacks in his first eight seasons – Peppers was dogged by questions that he wasn’t consistent and that he didn’t fulfill his potential. So Smith wanted to be comfortable that Peppers was going to be a cornerstone defender and not a free-agent disaster.

Smith sought the input of numerous people he trusted, including his friend Ron Meeks, the Carolina Panthers’ defensive coordinator in 2009 and 2010.

“ ‘One of the best guys you will have a chance to coach,’ ” Smith recalled one person telling him. “Everything was positive.”

Peppers was an exception, so the Bears made an exception.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Peppers-driven-to-continually-improve/6c68178a-ab97-4162-b54e-8ad51adb8fd1

Bears defensive end Julius Peppers is nicknamed "The Freak" because of his extremely rare combination of size and athleticism. But that's not the only key to his success.

In presenting a Brian Piccolo Award to the 6-7, 287-pounder Tuesday at Halas Hall, Bears defensive line coach Mike Phair lauded Peppers' work ethic and attention to detail.

"You see a guy that's one of the better football players that's ever played this game and each and every day in practice he's the first guy in line," Phair said.

"He works extremely hard and he's very coachable. In meetings, he's a guy that takes great notes. That's one of the things that you could take for granted: 'Hey, I'm a pro. I've been here. I know the system.' But he's taking notes like a rookie. That's very impressive."

Peppers' attention to detail stems from his desire to continually improve, something he's done throughout his career. Selected by the Carolina Panthers with the second pick in the 2002 draft, he has been voted to eight Pro Bowls, including three in as many years with the Bears.

"I always like to take notes because you never know it all," Peppers said. "Once you think you know it all, that's when you start falling off. It's always good to try to get a little better every day."

https://archive.today/D3O19

About this time a year ago Carolina Panthers linebacker Jon Beason was calling out teammate Julius Peppers publicly, raising an issue of Peppers perceived intensity.

Now he would be very, very happy if Peppers left any intensity back in Chicago when the Bears go to Charlotte to play Peppers former team.

I think Pep is going to go down as one of the best ever, Beason said. Truly a specimen and he's an addition to any football team, any defense. The difference is, now that I'm playing outside [linebacker], that things are more clear to me how important it is having a big dominant D-end.

Indeed you sometimes don't appreciate what you had til it's gone. So it is with Peppers and the Panthers from whom he's gone now after eight seasons in Carolina.

Beason, suffering through an 0-3 start then and an 0-4 one now, subsequently explained his comments about Peppers made to a Charlotte radio station. He has gained an even greater appreciation of what Peppers was facing week after week.

I was able to witness it first hand for three years the different schemes Pep had to deal with every Sunday as far as sliding offensive linemen his way and backs chipping in before they went out, Beason said.

It was tough on him but if you"re playing opposite him, you should definitely be excited about it because he will definitely command that attention.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/with-packers-julius-peppers-ready-to-tackle-age-expectations-b99343838z1-273876991.html

From the shadow of Lawrence Taylor at North Carolina to the No. 2 overall selection in the 2002 draft to the Chicago Bears signing him at $84 million in 2010 to, now, Green Bay — with its 13 NFL titles — Hall of Fame-level hype has trailed Peppers his entire football life.

His blessing is his curse. There's no one this large, this athletic, this agile in the game.

The Packers needed bite. Needed Peppers.

So here he is, reaching out with a bear-paw handshake. He's easily the most physically imposing player to ever sit in this leather chair near the media auditorium at Lambeau Field. Through an extended conversation, those four- and five-word sound bites you hear in the locker room are replaced with introspective honesty from a pro entering the twilight of his career.

He is 34. He was banished by the Chicago Bears. But the pressure, again, stalks Peppers ... all the way to Seattle on Thursday night.

"Yeah, it's a lot. It's a lot on it," Peppers said. "The thing that has helped me with the expectations is just placing them on myself before anybody else could. Always striving to be better. But even when you don't live up to your own expectations — or somebody else's — it gets tough."

Guard down, Peppers' voice picks up.

"Just people, it's really tough when somebody says, 'Oh, well, he could have been the best of all-time, but he was lazy.' Or 'He could have had 15 sacks when he only had seven or eight.' Sometimes, I'm just like, 'Well, what could you have done? You go do it.'"

Without hearing "34," Peppers brings up "34." That's his age, the red flag that his career is about to reach a screeching halt.

Opponents gashed the Bears for 5.3 yards per carry in 2013, the NFL's worst run defense since 2006. Peppers lacked pop. He didn't have a sack in 12 of the 16 games. Scouts questioned his desire. The freak from Carolina was fading, so the Bears released Peppers and his $13.9 million salary.

Unprompted, Peppers steers this conversation a new direction.

"It wasn't, all of a sudden I turned 34. Or I turned 33, I was 33 last year at the time," Peppers said. "OK, I turned 33, all of a sudden I don't have it anymore? That's what people are going to say. That's what they said. That definitely wasn't it."

He understands that with enormous contract comes enormous responsibility. That's been the backdrop to his career.

"So if people want to blame me for everything that went wrong on defense last year," Peppers continued, "so be it. That's fine. It's somewhat of a responsibility to take the fall when things happen to the part of the team you're supposed to be the leader of."

What went wrong? Peppers points to "injuries, loss of key personnel, loss of key coaches." All of it compounded. Peppers said he never spoke to anyone in the Bears front office prior to the release. They moved quickly, quietly. He's not sure how coordinator Mel Tucker could have used him better. The 2013 was very frustrating, though.

Doubts built for the first time. And those doubts irritate Peppers.

He's no fan of the assumption that, at 6-6, 287, he should rag-doll tackles on demand.

"It's not as easy as people think it should be all the time," Peppers said. "So if I should go out every game and have one or two sacks, then what about the guys I'm playing against? Are they there to serve me and help me get whatever I'm supposed to get?

"I've done a good job of blocking it out. But if I actually listened to everything that everybody said about me, I'd be going crazy right now. It gets tough at times."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/275344501.html

From Foster’s standpoint it is frustrating because, he says, Peppers has never been fully appreciated.

“He had God-given ability,” he said. “I just feel like no matter what he’s done, it’s never been enough. He could make the Pro Bowl, he could be All-American, he could be all-state, he could do whatever and it’s still ‘he should have done this’ and ‘he should have done that.’ I think he’s done a tremendous job of handling it the right way.”

When you’re this big, this athletic, criticism is natural.

Peppers does want to prove people wrong at 34. On a signed football for Foster’s son, he wrote “Still proving them wrong.”

“One of the best things he’s ever done is listen more than he’s talked,” Foster said. “I think sometimes people assume he doesn’t know what’s going on when he really does. I think he’s very aware of every situation he’s been in and always wants to prove himself. … That’s sort of what it’s been his whole career and I don’t understand that. If you talk to all of his teammates, I think they all appreciate his work ethic and what he does.”

Everyone in Green Bay from Mike Trgovac to Winston Moss to teammates has reiterated that Julius Peppers is not a talker. He’s not a vocal leader.

Hurney noticed this himself when he held the No. 2 overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft. Peppers was one very soft-spoken prospect.

The athletic ability on the field was unquestioned. Back then, the question was if Peppers gave a consistent effort. He carried a very “quiet demeanor,” Hurney said. And that, he added, “can be misunderstood.”

To get to the bottom of it, the Panthers studied Peppers’ on-field…and on-court intensity.

Their evaluation process included a long look at Peppers’ college basketball footage at North Carolina.

“It showed the intensity there, as well,” Hurney said. “It wasn’t a lack of an intensity. Sometimes, it was an ability to just finish plays, which you see in a lot of college players. But you don’t find football players with that height, the measurables and the athletic ability to go with it. He’s such a fluid and smooth athlete that sometimes people watch and say, ‘Well, is he going hard?’ He’s just so fluid and so athletic and so big that he might not look like he’s going as fast as you think he is but he is.”

Hurney knew far in advance that the expansion Houston Texans would be taking David Carr. His choice included the likes of Joey Harringon, guard Mike Williams, Quentin Jammer and Peppers.

In his draft room, Hurney asked the question: “Can Peppers give us 10-12 sacks a year?” He wanted to build a team on defense with new coach John Fox. The answer was yes. He'd start with the pass rusher.

He was too big, too athletic, too potentially special to pass up. And Hurney came to the conclusion that Peppers was "as competitive as anybody."

They saw that much in his basketball tape. His slam dunks had pop.

Since Hurney is from Maryland, the Panthers' brass watched some of Peppers' basketball plays against the Terps.

“There was one slam dunk that he left his feet and it was just a ferocious slam dunk," Hurney said. "But there were several. Any time you watched him, he was an intense athlete, whether it was on the football field, the basketball court, wherever. You could see the competitiveness in him.”

And the more Hurney talked to Peppers — from the Combine to a visit to several discussions — the more that competitiveness came out, he said.

A knack for big plays

Green Bay won’t need Julius Peppers to be an every-down player. On Sunday, he played 30 snaps as a defensive end, 17 as an outside linebacker and led the Packers with 3 ½ pressures. Above all, Green Bay is counting on Peppers making the key play at the key moment, a trademark of that 2010 Super Bowl team.

“When you talk to him,” Hurney said, “he’s so soft spoken and he doesn’t say a ton. But what he says, means a lot. The easiest way to see it is to watch the tape — the big plays, the impact plays he makes. Go through his career, there are so many games he makes the impact play that decides the game or turns the momentum. He’s an impact player, he’s a playmaker that makes big plays at critical times.”

Many of Peppers' blocked kicks (13), sacks (118.5), interceptions (nine) and forced fumbles (39) came at the right time.

Hurney brings up one sack that actually knocked Arizona’s Kurt Warner out of the game in 2007. Peppers sacked Warner, forced the fumble and recovered the fumble.

This Packers defense has been missing timely turnovers since winning the title. One reason is the lack of a legitimate pass rusher opposite Clay Matthews.

Hurney remembers first imagining Peppers' playmaking potential during Peppers' 40-yard dash and three-cone drill at the NFL scouting combine.

“You looked at the clock and it was like, ‘Wow. That’s incredible for a guy that size,’" he said. "He’s just an incredible athlete. And again, he’s got incredible instincts to be in the right place at the right time. When you combine those two, it makes a terrific football player.

“He’s just a special athlete, who’s got that ‘it’ quality about him. He just has that special instinct that great athletes have.”

So now, he's chasing a ring in Green Bay. The defense as a whole is off to a rocky start. In time, Capers will be counting on Peppers delivering at critical moments --- much like Mike Daniels on Sunday.

Hurney, who’s now a sports radio host for ESPN-Charlotte, believes Peppers will excel at 34 years old because it’s a new challenge, a new team.

“He embraces that challenge,” Hurney said. “And that’s what I’ll say about him this year. I think that changing teams—going to the Packers—he challenges himself more than anybody. He has higher expectations for himself than anybody else does. So it doesn’t bother him what people say or what people expect from him because nobody can expect more from him than he does.”

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=17241&is_corp=1

“I told some of our younger players this: ‘Do you see how serious Julius takes his job?’ And they were all in agreement with that. And I said, ‘Let me just tell you something: From the day he walked into our facility in Carolina, he was very serious about his job,’” said Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac, who was Peppers’ position coach in 2002, Peppers’ rookie season with the Carolina Panthers, and his defensive coordinator from 2003 through 2008. “Not that he doesn’t have fun, but when it’s time to work, it’s time to work with him.

“He doesn’t say a whole lot, he’s the type of guy that’s focused, thinking. He can joke around with the best of them, but he’s one of those guys that when he speaks, people really listen because he doesn’t speak that much.

“Guys understand the seriousness of [his] position, I mean, he was the second player picked in the draft. So he came in with such high expectations on him – and he delivered for us.”

Peppers’ critics would argue he didn’t deliver enough, however – in Carolina or in Chicago – and that he would be challenging the NFL record for career sacks if he put forth more effort over the past 12 years.

“’Doesn’t play hard, not emotional, not a leader.’ All that crap,” Peppers said, his smile evaporating. “But that’s not true. None of those things are true. That’s just how people perceive me – and that’s fine. I really couldn’t care less – really – how people view me.

“It used to bother me a little bit, when I was younger, when I was in Carolina. It used to bother me then. But now … sometimes, you can’t change people’s opinions or you can’t change thoughts. The people that know me, the people that I really want to respect me, they know. And those are the guys that are in here [in the locker room], and the coaches, and the front office, those type of people. As long as I have those people on my side, I’m content.”

Trgovac heard those same criticisms – dating back to Peppers’ college career at North Carolina. Before the Panthers took Peppers with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, Trgovac watched every one of Peppers’ snaps with the Tar Heels. And he had an up-close look at Peppers throughout his time with the Panthers. While there may have been times when Peppers didn’t max out his effort level, it didn’t happen nearly as often as the perception.

“I think it’s two things. One, he is a very even-keeled guy, but he has a great desire,” Trgovac said with a measure of annoyance in his voice. “He’s not one of those guys that is a rah-rah guy. Some people just have that personality where, they make a play, they call attention to themselves, and he’s never been like that.

“Even in college, we heard about him not playing hard all the time, and I didn’t see that. And that’s the second thing. What I saw a guy that sometimes he’s just so damn smooth and runs so damn easy that he doesn’t look like he’s going full speed. But he’s moving.

“I think that gets a little bit of a knock on him at times. But we never had a problem. He was always a good leader for us there, he’s been a good leader for us here, and he’s a very positive person. He just doesn’t get too high and he doesn’t get too low – but believe me, it means a lot to him. Deep down in his heart, it does mean a lot to him.”

Certainly this season has – even if it’s hard for outsiders to see it.

“It’s not that I’m not emotional, because on the field, I’m into the game. I’m there. I just don’t … it’s just not overt. I’m not out there flamboyantly celebrating and doing all this extra stuff,” Peppers said. “But I’m into it. Not very much can get me riled up, though. The only thing, pretty much, is lack of respect. That’s pretty much it.

“That’s my thing. I can’t play the game angry. There’s different personality types, and I’ve found when I get too up, too emotional, too riled up, it’s not a good thing. It’s energy wasted, and it’s not [productive]. I don’t play well in that mindset.”

Sorry, I'm done. Just had to set the record straight about one of the greatest defensive players of all time. A much under appreciated player.

You can post all the articles you want.  There is a vast majority of sports analysts who were in agreement that he took some plays off and questioned his motor/drive.  

There were certain plays in some of his games where he looked like he was giving little to no effort.  That he looked like he just disappeared out there.  Post all the articles you want, still doesn't really matter.  

You can post all the articles you want. There is a vast majority of sports analysts who were in agreement that he took some plays off and questioned his motor/drive.

There were certain plays in some of his games where he looked like he was giving little to no effort. That he looked like he just disappeared out there. Post all the articles you want, still doesn't really matter.

Yea maybe sports analysts that have never played football aka " know it alls".

I'll take the word of players, coaches, and football executives over the "analysts" any day.

What plays? In what games? What was his responsibility on said plays? Please enlighten us.

Yea maybe sports analysts that have never played football aka " know it alls".

I'll take the word of players, coaches, and football executives over the "analysts" any day.

What plays? In what games? What was his responsibility on said plays? Please enlighten us.

LOL, this is my last reply on this topic.  

First, if you expect me to remember specific plays he took off and what game it was in, considering it would have been between 2002-2009, your nuts.  I've killed too many brain cells since last seeing him play live.  Not to mention, watching some games on TV were ages ago.  

He lined up at left defensive end at the start of his career.  Basically, he is going to try and collapse the pocket and get to the passer or get to the ball carrier or force them side to side.  Or drop back into coverage and match up against a tight end or in some cases drop into zone coverage.  I recall seeing plays where he appeared to just be sitting there, not really doing much of anything.  Plays where it looked like he was just going through the motion of rushing the passer.

My dad, uncle, most of Charlotte NC and sports analysts, etc. saw this too.  I will say that I think it was blown out of proportion by the media and fans.  And they made it sound a whole lot worse than I remember it being.  It wasn't every game I watched, it wasn't every other play, etc.  But it did happen.  And I think the media tried to make it appear like it was happening all the time, when it wasn't. 

He was also criticized for that back in college.  So it wasn't something that was just applied to him at the pro level.  He is an amazing athlete and one of the best DEs to play the game.  Freak of nature.  

And do you really think that his former coaches would admit that he took plays off?  That would make them look bad and send the wrong message to their current players.  

But don't respond to this, cause I'm not going to continue to derail the thread over someone that never wore or will wear the burgundy and gold.  Probably shouldn't have even responded to you in the first place.

LOL, this is my last reply on this topic.

First, if you expect me to remember specific plays he took off and what game it was in, considering it would have been between 2002-2009, your nuts. I've killed too many brain cells since last seeing him play live. Not to mention, watching some games on TV were ages ago.

He lined up at left defensive end at the start of his career. Basically, he is going to try and collapse the pocket and get to the passer or get to the ball carrier or force them side to side. Or drop back into coverage and match up against a tight end or in some cases drop into zone coverage. I recall seeing plays where he appeared to just be sitting there, not really doing much of anything. Plays where it looked like he was just going through the motion of rushing the passer.

My dad, uncle, most of Charlotte NC and sports analysts, etc. saw this too. I will say that I think it was blown out of proportion by the media and fans. And they made it sound a whole lot worse than I remember it being. It wasn't every game I watched, it wasn't every other play, etc. But it did happen. And I think the media tried to make it appear like it was happening all the time, when it wasn't.

He was also criticized for that back in college. So it wasn't something that was just applied to him at the pro level. He is an amazing athlete and one of the best DEs to play the game. Freak of nature.

And do you really think that his former coaches would admit that he took plays off? That would make them look bad and send the wrong message to their current players.

But don't respond to this, cause I'm not going to continue to derail the thread over someone that never wore or will wear the burgundy and gold. Probably shouldn't have even responded to you in the first place.

I live in NC too and have seen nearly every game Peppers has played for the Panthers, Bears, and Packers. We'll agree to disagree on the suject.

Daniels' injury probably ensures Garvin makes the team.  He's had a good camp according to what I've read.  Shame for the kid.

Weird that the one topic you actually dive into and discuss with any substance is Julius Peppers lol.

If memory serves he did the same a couple of years ago when he became free.

Thought a little bit about OBJ today and how his situation slightly compares to Josh Doctson (in the most positive of outlooks).

I'm hoping we will get a similar type of output from the kid this year, whenever he's ready to come in.  So long as he's ready.

Archived