Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

What's the word on Docston?  Saw a couple of tweets but didn't know if it was speculation.  

No new news.  Taking it slowly, as we should.

I will admit that DJax isn't my favorite Redskin, but I was not trying to push him off the team.  I would leave it to McCloughan to decide whether he would make a serious effort to retain DJax. 

I do understand that DJax right now is the best Redskins receiver for stretching the field, and he could well be sorely missed if he left.  But, I think the 6 reasons I listed as to why the odds are likely against his return are valid.

As to DHall, he was a Redskin I was ambivalent about.  I thought his play at CB when he was making big bucks was uneven.  But, now in the twilight of his career, he seems to have adapted to FS very well.  I sure hope he has at least 5 more good years left in him.  And, if we discover a good young FS, I think DHall could play SS.

Well we'll differ on DHall playing very well at FS.

But you're not grasping the DJax isn't just a stretch the field guy.  Sure he might be the best at the team on that, but that's not all he does well.

Not saying you are wrong about DJax, but the Skins can fit only so many big contracts under the cap.  If Cousins plays well in 2016, you know he will get mega bucks.  And, you know McCloughan likes to keep home-grown good young players.  So, it will be problematic to fit a 30-plus WR demanding a big contract under the cap.  Now, if DJax truly wants to continue to be a Redskin and were to tone down his money demands, that would definitely increase the odds of his staying here.

Who is going to take that money besides Cousins?  You think a 30 year old Chris Baker is going to get double digit money?

It can be done pretty easily.

Count me in the group that wanted to rent Freeney.  Maybe Jefferson will develop into that guy.  I'm hoping to see more coverage sacks then we've seen in a while, if our coverage on the outside is legit.  

I see TMurphy is in the rotation, but haven't heard anything about how he looks/is playing with the added weight.  I'm curious how he's getting along.  

Excited to see Kerrigan start the season healthy.  He was dinged quite a bit last year.  I did see a few tweets complimenting him on setting the edge, which I think DC9 mentioned as a problem last season.  He earned his money.  He got paid.  Would love to see him have a great year. :)

I see TMurphy is in the rotation, but haven't heard anything about how he looks/is playing with the added weight. I'm curious how he's getting along.

Keim wrote this:

"RICHMOND, Virginia -- The transition will take time, something the Washington Redskins and Trent Murphy both know. But that doesn’t mean the Redskins don’t want Murphy to contribute early after switching from linebacker to defensive end.

And that’s why Murphy liked what happened in practice Saturday. He read a screen play, knew he was in a good spot, then made a leaping, sort of twisting interception of quarterback Kirk Cousins that resulted in a pick-six.

[...]What he liked even more was why that play happened. It stems from a growing comfort level at end, but also his instincts. Make no mistake, Murphy still has a ways to go. When the Redskins signed Adam Carriker in 2010, they switched him from a 4-3 end to a 3-4 end. He made a huge jump his second season at the position.

For Murphy, he read offensive tackle Trent Williams, and once Williams sprinted to the outside he knew a screen was coming. Ends are taught to then turn and run to the receiver on the play.

“But I felt I was on the track between the quarterback and the receiver, so I stopped and read the QB at that point,” Murphy said. “It shows my instincts are still there and that I can make plays from that position. It also shows I’m more comfortable and getting familiar with the scheme and playing that position.”

To help prepare for this season, Murphy worked out in Atlanta with former Falcons end Chuck Smith, now a trainer. If nothing else, it solidified Murphy’s new way of thinking as a pass-rusher. The topic came up partly because I noticed Murphy wasn’t using as many moves -- or so it seemed -- as, say, two years ago. In a one-on-one he was able to get into Williams' chest one time for an effective push. He’ll never wow with speed, but he can be more effective.

“[smith] said the great pass-rushers don’t change moves, no matter who they’re going against,” Murphy said. “That’s big, to try and dictate terms to the offensive line and not change who you are every play. It messes with your game. You cut down and really simplify the game.”

I'd like to see us add an OLB too. I think that Bates is good as our 4th OLB and strong on ST, but I'd like to see us add an OLB who can start in case Smith or Kerrigan miss a game (i.e. be our 3rd OLB). I don't think Jefferson, Wakefield or Trail are ready and Cravens doesn't have the size to play OLB in the 3-4. I could see us trading a corner or a late round draft pick for an OLB. I also wonder why no one has picked up Mike Neal (started 15 games for the Packers last year) - he's not great but he'd be an upgrade over our current, unproven depth. Let's see how the first preseason game goes....but right now we look a little lean at OLB.

There's no reason to pick up a vet, right now and guarantee their salary for the season, when they're just going to be situational pass rushers.

Also, we've been in 4 man fronts almost all of TC so far. There's no reason to keep pretending we're a 3-4 team.

Still don't know why we weren't in on that.

It was a money game.  We were probably going to sign him after week 1 so that his salary for the year was NOT guaranteed.  He's a vested vet so they are entitled to that.

That's probably why we aren't looking at Pierre Thomas until around then...

It was a money game. We were probably going to sign him after week 1 so that his salary for the year was guaranteed. He's a vested vet so they are entitled to that.

That's probably why we aren't looking at Pierre Thomas until around then...

He was never gonna make it to week 1, IMO. Pierre Thomas could be there all year. He was available into Nov/Dec last year.

There's no reason to pick up a vet, right now and guarantee their salary for the season, when they're just going to be situational pass rushers.

Also, we've been in 4 man fronts almost all of TC so far. There's no reason to keep pretending we're a 3-4 team.

There's no such thing as "just" a situational pass rusher. Especially on a team that might have trouble getting to the QB. If he gets to the QB 8 to 10 times like he did in Arizona, he would be worth it.

And Atlanta runs a 4-3 where he went to. But I will concede their pass rush is much more desperate. They were the worst in the league.

He was never gonna make it to week 1, IMO. Pierre Thomas could be there all year. He was available into Nov/Dec last year.

There's no such thing as "just" a situational pass rusher. Especially on a team that might have trouble getting to the QB. If he gets to the QB 8 to 10 times like he did in Arizona, he would be worth it.

And Atlanta runs a 4-3 where he went to. But I will concede their pass rush is much more desperate. They were the worst in the league.

A guy who comes in on 3rd and long situations, when your starting OLB goes onto the line in a 3 stance, who's primary job is to rush the passer, is just a pass rusher.

Clearly the team did not want him. They have $11M in cap space. They played all year last year without Galette. While I was excited to see what impact he could have on the line, as the season went on the line played better. The team ended up tied for 14th in sacks with 38 and 18th in hurries with 95. Not great but not horrible. Preston Smith and Ryan Kerrigan both played better in the 2nd half of the season.

Keep in mind this was while playing more people in the secondary (11) than any other team in the NFL. Both starting Ss missed almost the entire season. Culliver missed most of the season and when he did play, it was on one leg and he was wholly ineffective (Have to admire his desire, guy was playing with some serious pain). The slot CB for the GB PO game had been literally signed that week! They both help each other. The secondary will be better this year. How much, I don't know. But it will help the pass rush, possibly a lot.

I would have been OK had they signed Freeney. He is a quality player and high character guy. But I am even better not signing him. Let the young guys play and develop. The team is building for the future. Keep that going.

Clearly the team did not want him. They have $11M in cap space. They played all year last year without Galette. While I was excited to see what impact he could have on the line, as the season went on the line played better. The team ended up tied for 14th in sacks with 38 and 18th in hurries with 95. Not great but not horrible. Preston Smith and Ryan Kerrigan both played better in the 2nd half of the season.

Keep in mind this was while playing more people in the secondary (11) than any other team in the NFL. Both starting Ss missed almost the entire season. Culliver missed most of the season and when he did play, it was on one leg and he was wholly ineffective (Have to admire his desire, guy was playing with some serious pain). The slot CB for the GB PO game had been literally signed that week! They both help each other. The secondary will be better this year. How much, I don't know. But it will help the pass rush, possibly a lot.

I would have been OK had they signed Freeney. He is a quality player and high character guy. But I am even better not signing him. Let the young guys play and develop. The team is building for the future. Keep that going.

I think having one of the top pass rushers of his generation could only help our young pass rushers. Preston Smith, Bates, even Kerrigan couldnt learn a little something about getting to the QB? This cat is 36 and still does it better than any of them.

Everybody was eager to have Galette, so nobody would have lost anymore snaps. Smith would still be starting. And Freeney was arguably more productive than Gallette would've been.

I think having one of the top pass rushers of his generation could only help our young pass rushers. Preston Smith, Bates, even Kerrigan couldnt learn a little something about getting to the QB? This cat is 36 and still does it better than any of them.

Everybody was eager to have Galette, so nobody would have lost anymore snaps. Smith would still be starting. And Freeney was arguably more productive than Gallette would've been.

I agree with this.

One big reason I actually wanted Freeney is because he's a "technique and moves" guy and didn't rely on being strong, faster, bigger, etc.

THOSE types of guys are great for the youngins who are willing to pay attention.

Oh well, though, on to the next one.  And hopefully a raw specimen identifies himself in camp/pre-season and we won't have to go looking.

First, you clearly missed the part where I said I would be OK if they brought him in. I like Freeney. I believe my exact words were "He is a quality player and high character guy."

You have no idea if Freeney would be better than Galette. If you are talking in his prime, probably. But Freeney is not in his prime. I do know Galette is a lot younger than Freeney and has had a more productive season more recently than Freeney on a much worse Def. My guess is that Galette would be more productive. But like yours, it's just a guess.

Also, I totally disagree that Freeney right now is better than anyone we have. Kerrigan is coming off injury and Smith is just entering his second year. Also, he is really much more a 4-3 DE (although admittedly we paly a lot of 4-3, especially on -passing downs). He can play 4-3 OLB as he is a good athlete. Again, if you are talking about him in his prime I would agree. But now? Not so much. Again, you do realize our secondary gave the line almost no time to get ot the QB, right?

Finally, I never said anyone would lose snaps. I said let them get more snaps with Galette not in the lineup. There is a huge difference.

Let me try this again. I would have been fine if they brought him in....  But they did not and I am not at all unhappy about it.

I think we need to have a consensus consequence for anybody who mentions the player never to be named from the draft never to be mentioned. Suggestions? Maybe having to wear a shirt that says Zorny for Vinny or something....

I submit this even though, honestly, I'm having the same fear. But I still wouldn't speak his name.

As long as the shirt is maroon and black I'm for it!

Peppers and Ware are/were better than Freeney. I wish we could get Peppers.

Peppers is the exact opposite of the type of vet pass rusher you'd want influencing the young guys, even if he was available. He's always gotten by on his monster physical talents, and he's almost always been an underachieving jackwagon.

Archived