Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

I think we need to have a consensus consequence for anybody who mentions the player never to be named from the draft never to be mentioned. Suggestions? Maybe having to wear a shirt that says Zorny for Vinny or something....

I submit this even though, honestly, I'm having the same fear. But I still wouldn't speak his name.

When we got DJax that curse was lifted.  I ain't even tripping.

I think we need to have a consensus consequence for anybody who mentions the player never to be named from the draft never to be mentioned. Suggestions? Maybe having to wear a shirt that says Zorny for Vinny or something....

I submit this even though, honestly, I'm having the same fear. But I still wouldn't speak his name.

Who else saw VoR coming with a post like this from a mile away as soon as DC9 mentioned Malcom? :lol:

Who else saw VoR coming with a post like this from a mile away as soon as DC9 mentioned Malcom? :lol:

My first few posts on ES were about Malcolm.  Man did I kick over an ant hill I wasn't ready for. :o:lol:

even 3-4 OLB's have other responsibilities besides rushing.  And Riley is a decent inside rusher, so he might have some ability from the edge

I am sure the coaches will leave no stone un-turned to come up with more pass rush.  Besides those we have already mentioned, I have heard from the various CSN shows covering Redskins training camp that Lynden Trail and Willie Jefferson will be given a chance to display their pass rushing potential. 

One fan wrote in to Larry Michael suggesting the Skins try Niles Paul as an edge rusher.  Michael shot the fan down unceremoniously.  If the coaches thought like Michael, Quinton Dunbar wouldn't be a quality backup CB on this team and likely be out of the NFL now.

Interesting that I'm the only one in here who has us keeping Desean. 

I am sure you are not the only one here who has the Skins keeping DJax.  But, I think a lot of things would have to come together for the Skins to re-sign him.

1.  DJax will demand a bundle, and the Skins may not have the cap room to accommodate him since they would obviously have to take care of Cousins first if he has a good 2016 season.

2.  DJax may want to play on the West Coast, as someone on this thread has suggested.

3.  DJax may not be McCloughan's kind of player and the latter may not even want to break a sweat trying to retain DJax.

4.  DJax may get hit with the injury bug again, and at his age, the Skins may not regard him to be a big deal any more.

5.  A young WR with speed that can stretch the field may emerge for the Skins in 2016.

6.  The Skins have a disappointing 2016 season, and DJax may be looking for a "contending" team he think he can win with.

If any of those things happen, DJax is likely to leave.

Jefferson beat Trent for a sack today fwiw

No surprise.

Trent's game relies on him being mean and physical. He can't be that when they weren't wearing full pads today.

When they are practicing in full pads and really going at each other, that will make it more interesting. :)

Okay maybe my standards are a little high. I'm just anxious to see what he can do. I'll try to bring it down a few.

Yeah, we all are. Emotions are peaked because football is finally here. I want to see him at 100% though. Let's get him fully healed. Sounds like the team is being extra cautious on purpose.

My first few posts on ES were about Malcolm. Man did I kick over an ant hill I wasn't ready for. :o:lol:

To be fair, ES has way too many ant hills to kick over. :lol:

Are you saying I'm predictable?

Redundant. :P

But it's for a worthy cause though. ;)

I am sure you are not the only one here who has the Skins keeping DJax.  But, I think a lot of things would have to come together for the Skins to re-sign him.

If any of those things happen, DJax is likely to leave.

I'm not saying you're wrong, man... but I just feel like you're spending an awful lot of time justifying why we shouldn't keep DJax and why we should just replace him with a fast kid in Ross.  If it was that easy, we would've just kept AR15 a couple of years ago.

DJax's skill set goes beyond speed.  Speed is a huge part, but it's not the only part.

For what it's worth, I think we keep DJax and Ross next year, as of now.  Unless one of the younger kids beats out Ross this season.

Just like we hope DHall has some Woodson in him, I think most of us hope DJax has some Tana or some Steve Smith in him.  I think it's pretty likely that he does.

I think Ross is ideally competing for the fifth WR spot with Ryan Grant, but they're both(and so are the UDFA WRs) also working towards that last theoretical spot. The 6th WR, the 4th TE, the 10th OL, etc

DJax's skill set goes beyond speed.  Speed is a huge part, but it's not the only part.

I think this gets glossed over way too much.  It can be argued that DJax is as good of a deep threat that has ever played the game.  The stats back it up.  He tracks the ball as well as anyone I've ever seen.  He's dynamite in the open field.  And he does it all with the other team constantly focused on not letting him beat them deep.  

People talk about declining speed at this age.  That doesn't happen to everybody.  DG could strip it down and run a 4.4 today I bet.  I could easily see him being productive until he's 35.  I'll be totally shocked if we let him walk.  The guy actually seems happy here, which is something I wouldn't have put money on when we signed him.  

What's the word on Docston?  Saw a couple of tweets but didn't know if it was speculation.  

I think this gets glossed over way too much.  It can be argued that DJax is as good of a deep threat that has ever played the game.  The stats back it up.  He tracks the ball as well as anyone I've ever seen.  He's dynamite in the open field.  And he does it all with the other team constantly focused on not letting him beat them deep.  

People talk about declining speed at this age.  That doesn't happen to everybody.  DG could strip it down and run a 4.4 today I bet.  I could easily see him being productive until he's 35.  I'll be totally shocked if we let him walk.  The guy actually seems happy here, which is something I wouldn't have put money on when we signed him.  

What's the word on Docston?  Saw a couple of tweets but didn't know if it was speculation.  

Doc is somewhere between healthy and out for 3 months, going by the news today, so who knows. I'm just going to forget about him until proven otherwise. At least for now.

In other rookie news. There was a tweet about Cravens not over persueing on a run and cutting off a cut back lane, which gets me pretty freaking pumped. There is currently an opportunity at ILB, OLB and SS IMO and he will find a way onto the field. Kid is looking great.

Iaoniddias  has been blowing people on the Oline up too. That guy needs a knick name, because I'm never going to spell that correctly.

As far as the Djax stuff, I couldn't agree more. He really seems to love it here and I think he will be in the league for a long time to come. I also don't think we've tapped what we can do with him. I know most of his plays with the Eagles were always pretty close to the LOS. We seem to hit him deep more often.

I really think he may be untouchable this season. Like, league top 5 great of a year. One of the things I keep thinking about, is a 3 TE set, with Davis in a FB role and Jones (an excellent reciever) at RB, with Djax on the field. That is an obvious formation that forces you to bring a safety into the box no matter what or you get run over. With Djax on the field, you can absolutely NOT do that. That formation could be so incredibly destructive to other teams and will be so much fun to watch, especially when we go hurry up in it and wear them out. If JOnes really does turn the corner and become the back he has the physical ability to become, I really don't think that's a formation that a lot of teams are built to stop. Cousins just has to see which Safety drops and either you've got Reed 1 one 1 with a CB or you've got Djax with no one over the top.

I saw this tweet about Trent:

Trent Murphy again the RDE in nickel (4man front)

To hell with JJ, I am thinking Dexter! I wonder if Preston was lined up outside him in that look.  I felt like the drafting of Craven, and now coupled with the loss of Junior makes me think our looks this year will be more dynamic or unpredictable than ever before.  

I saw this tweet about Trent:

Trent Murphy again the RDE in nickel (4man front)

To hell with JJ, I am thinking Dexter! I am wonder if Preston was lined up outside him in that look.  I felt like the drafting of Craven, and now coupled with the loss of Junior makes me think our looks this year will be more dynamic or unpredictable than ever before.  

I'm sure he's just getting rotated.  No chance he sits either one of our LBs.

I could see LDE cause that's the run stopper and they normally weigh about 280-290lbs. (See Phillip Daniels - he was a prototype LDE).

I'm not saying you're wrong, man... but I just feel like you're spending an awful lot of time justifying why we shouldn't keep DJax and why we should just replace him with a fast kid in Ross.  If it was that easy, we would've just kept AR15 a couple of years ago.

For what it's worth, I think we keep DJax and Ross next year, as of now.  Unless one of the younger kids beats out Ross this season.

Just like we hope DHall has some Woodson in him, I think most of us hope DJax has some Tana or some Steve Smith in him.  I think it's pretty likely that he does.

I will admit that DJax isn't my favorite Redskin, but I was not trying to push him off the team.  I would leave it to McCloughan to decide whether he would make a serious effort to retain DJax. 

I do understand that DJax right now is the best Redskins receiver for stretching the field, and he could well be sorely missed if he left.  But, I think the 6 reasons I listed as to why the odds are likely against his return are valid.

As to DHall, he was a Redskin I was ambivalent about.  I thought his play at CB when he was making big bucks was uneven.  But, now in the twilight of his career, he seems to have adapted to FS very well.  I sure hope he has at least 5 more good years left in him.  And, if we discover a good young FS, I think DHall could play SS.

Not saying you are wrong about DJax, but the Skins can fit only so many big contracts under the cap.  If Cousins plays well in 2016, you know he will get mega bucks.  And, you know McCloughan likes to keep home-grown good young players.  So, it will be problematic to fit a 30-plus WR demanding a big contract under the cap.  Now, if DJax truly wants to continue to be a Redskin and were to tone down his money demands, that would definitely increase the odds of his staying here.

Archived