Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

It's funny you mentioned Watt; I actually looked at him to see what he weighed yesterday, in looking for a comparable to our new found DL.  However, I didn't dare mention Watt in the same sentence as Murphy for fear of being laughed at by the internets!

The dude was a sack machine in college. You don't think he will get there, but he seems persistent and if the QB holds the ball too long, he is often closing fast. We could really use a big year out of him especially with Junior out.

Preston has impressed me to no end and of course will get the lions share of Jr's snaps, if we can even say that since Jr never got any.

Most of Murphy's sacks came after 3.5 seconds that last season at Stanford.  Meaning he lacked the burst but had the heart/motor to keep fighting.

That's why he never really fit in as an edge rusher.  You need that burst to collapse the pocket.  He's a hand fighter, which really suits an interior player much better because instead of your given size or speed you use your hands to gain leverage and swim or get by an o-linemen.  I think he does very well there.

It's funny you mentioned Watt; I actually looked at him to see what he weighed yesterday, in looking for a comparable to our new found DL.  However, I didn't dare mention Watt in the same sentence as Murphy for fear of being laughed at by the internets!

The dude was a sack machine in college. You don't think he will get there, but he seems persistent and if the QB holds the ball too long, he is often closing fast. We could really use a big year out of him especially with Junior out.

Preston has impressed me to no end and of course will get the lions share of Jr's snaps, if we can even say that since Jr never got any.

Funny that you mention JJ Watt - I was looking at his draft profile and Murphy's draft profile a little while back and there were quite a few similarities. Watt was definitely much bigger and more explosive (hence the reason he went 11th overall in his draft year) - but I wonder if Murphy at 290 can be a poor man's JJ Watt. I'm pretty optimistic that Murphy can turn into a very good 3-4 DE in time - on a rotation this year and then as a starter next year - he just has a lot of skills and intangibles to build on. We'll see......

It's quite a stretch to call Matt Jones a proven commodity......490 yds, 3.4 ypc average, 5 fumbles last year - and only 1 college season with more than 400 yds rushing. Don't get me wrong - I hope Jones becomes an 1200 yd, 10 TD back this year - but it would be nice to have someone more proven to fall back on if Jones doesn't develop as hoped, or gets banged up. I like Thompson as a 3rd down back, but he 's not built to take on the lead back role if Jones were to be injured.

I agree that it would be GREAT to pick up a difference maker at DLine - but I can't see that happening at this point in the offseason. I think that we'll use a high draft pick (or two) next year to strengthen the DLine as SM continues to add depth/talent.

Don't forget the context of the post - who/what position will we sign with our 90th roster spot. I think that RB and FS are the two positions with the least amount of proven depth. I assume that the Skins will add a player in the next couple of days so they can get to camp by day 1 - so we'll know soon enough!

I think RB is one position that has to be viewed differently from the rest.  It is a position that needs no "seasoning"--many rookies start and are effective.  Further, unfortunately for them, RBs have the shortest shelf life.  Most have only 5-6 productive years and are regarded to be over the hill when they near 30.  Alfred Morris was quite good for the Redskins, but it is likely he is already past his prime after just 4 seasons.  So, even though Matt Jones has had only 1 season, he is more comparable to a WR, DB, LB, Lineman, QB, TE in his 3rd season.  And, there is no reason to discount rookie RBs just because they are rookies.  I guarantee you one thing, rookie RBs will have much fresher legs and bodies that haven't been battered compared to older "proven" RBs.  I believe it would be smart for the Skins not to panic at the RB spot.  Go thru training camp and see what they got in the rookies.  If a veteran is needed, then add one at that point.

I agree that it won't be easy to rectify what appears to be a weak Dline.  I think McCloughan knew the Dline needed help, but he is committed to not "cheat" in the draft by drafting according to need.  He saw Doctson, Cravens and Fuller as much better value than Dline prospects available at their respective spots.  In the long haul, that is the winning strategy. 

Are there any vets out there we can rent for a year?

Are there any vets out there we can rent for a year?

No, we don't want to do that.  The Skins are still essentially a rebuilding team right now.  They are not just a "rental" away from contending for the Super Bowl.  They should first look to groom their own young players.

I don't see how you can think the Skins have any real depth at OLB.  Bates has part of one season, Jefferson has CFL experience, and I think that's it.  Maybe Riley or Foster can spend some time there though, as depth

Difficult to see W Compton or Foster with enough speed/quickness to be an edge rusher.  If Houston Bates isn't the quality depth needed at OLB, then perhaps Cravens would have to be the guy.

No, we don't want to do that. The Skins are still essentially a rebuilding team right now. They are not just a "rental" away from contending for the Super Bowl. They should first look to groom their own young players.

stop saying that. What are we rebuilding? We've sucked for 25 years.

We're building a team and a winner. We won the division, we're improving and building on that.

If we do win the Superbowl, by your logic, were we Josh Norman away?

He is listed today at 290, and likely drops 5 after a day out in the sun. I wonder what he was at last year.

I bet he could lose more weight if requested. I figure he couldn't be much slower than he was at his SLB optimal weight.  :D

Yeah I knew he bulked up for his new DL duties, but I figured they could still get him some snaps in light of the position turning thin. He knows the position at least. 

Maybe Houston Bates becomes the next Rob Jackson.  

I don't think it would be smart to have Trent Murphy lose weight and play OLB again at this point.  That boat has sailed.  If he were good as an edge rusher OLB, the Skins wouldn't have tried to convert him to DE in the first place.  Bouncing him back and forth like a yo-yo would likely mean that he won't be good at either position.  Besides, it is not as if the Dline is a strength on the team.  Keep Murphy there and hope he can be a quality starter opposite Baker.

I believe the prevailing thought is that DJax will be re-signed and Garcon will be allowed to walk. 

I'm sure a lot of that depends on the performances this year.  Next year is a huge year in terms of potential roster turnover.

I do know that Ross was being "groomed" to take over the DJax routes the last year or two.  I'm not sure kickoff rules are going to change the amount of players you keep on teams, though.  You're still going to need someone back their to field the kicks and you're not going to be putting one of your starters in that position (ideally).

I think it would be no better than 50-50 for DJax to return.  One, I am not convinced he is McCloughan's kind of player.  McCloughan inherited him.  While DJax has behaved relatively well here in Wash, I doubt McCloughan would spend the kind of cap room it would take to keep DJax.  Two, DJax has a big ego.  I don't think he would take a steep salary cut to stay here in DC.

At this point, Ross is probably still the leading contender to replace DJax after this season.  In the meantime, he would be the kickoff returner and see spot duty at WR.  But, if kickoffs become less frequent, then Ross's value will decrease.  Yes, someone will be needed back there to field kickoffs.  But, if he is just going to down the ball or watch it go out of the end zone, pretty much anyone can do that. 

No, we don't want to do that. The Skins are still essentially a rebuilding team right now. They are not just a "rental" away from contending for the Super Bowl. They should first look to groom their own young players.

Junior Gallery was a "rental" and for good reason.

Redskins are competing for a division title, not focused on rebuilding. Yes, the team can improve, mostly on the defensive side of the ball, but Redskins are built to win the division title this year.

Barring catastrophic injuries taking place it would be a let down if Skins don't pull out the division this year again.

No excuses!

I think it would be no better than 50-50 for DJax to return.  One, I am not convinced he is McCloughan's kind of player.  McCloughan inherited him.  While DJax has behaved relatively well here in Wash, I doubt McCloughan would spend the kind of cap room it would take to keep DJax.  Two, DJax has a big ego.  I don't think he would take a steep salary cut to stay here in DC.

At this point, Ross is probably still the leading contender to replace DJax after this season.  In the meantime, he would be the kickoff returner and see spot duty at WR.  But, if kickoffs become less frequent, then Ross's value will decrease.  Yes, someone will be needed back there to field kickoffs.  But, if he is just going to down the ball or watch it go out of the end zone, pretty much anyone can do that. 

DJax will be 30 this season.  I don't think he's going to get huge money from anyone.  Crowder is actually the 2nd string on the DJax routes right now.

You draft a Josh Doctson, whose more of a bigger possession type.  That's your cue right there that if you pick one it's going to be DJax.  Not to mention that Garcon has told just about everyone he doesn't want to be here.

And no, not "just anyone" can field kick offs.  I think that you'll be surprised how many kickoffs land inside the 5 going forward here.

Not to mention that Garcon has told just about everyone he doesn't want to be here.

EDIT: Let's make this less snarky.

Has this made it into any reputable writer's articles, or is this just "word around camp"? If there's an article (or multiple articles) where this is stated definitively (or even just obliquely), I'd love to read it..

Also, you're right that the new TB rule change is going to end up with more kickoffs being returned, not less as I'm assuming was the intent of the change. Scratching my head over that one.

DJax will be 30 this season.  I don't think he's going to get huge money from anyone.  Crowder is actually the 2nd string on the DJax routes right now.

You draft a Josh Doctson, whose more of a bigger possession type.  That's your cue right there that if you pick one it's going to be DJax.  Not to mention that Garcon has told just about everyone he doesn't want to be here.

And no, not "just anyone" can field kick offs.  I think that you'll be surprised how many kickoffs land inside the 5 going forward here.

Crowder has very good quickness suited for the slot, but I don't know if he has the kind of speed needed to stretch the field.  However, I hope you are right that Crowder does have that kind of ability.

DJax may be pushing 30, but I don't know that his ego would allow him to be realistic.  And, I remain unconvinced that he is McCloughan's kind of player.  As for Garcon, if Doctson is as good as advertised, the Skins don't really need him.

Obviously, kickoffs still get returned.  But, there is no question they are being returned significantly less than they used to be.  I think it will get increasingly tougher for a player to take a roster spot if kickoff return is his main thing.

Crowder has very good quickness suited for the slot, but I don't know if he has the kind of speed needed to stretch the field.  However, I hope you are right that Crowder does have that kind of ability.

DJax may be pushing 30, but I don't know that his ego would allow him to be realistic.  And, I remain unconvinced that he is McCloughan's kind of player.  As for Garcon, if Doctson is as good as advertised, the Skins don't really need him.

Obviously, kickoffs still get returned.  But, there is no question they are being returned significantly less than they used to be.  I think it will get increasingly tougher for a player to take a roster spot if kickoff return is his main thing.

Crowder is obviously not as fast as DJax, very few are.  But he can run routes and catch the football.

I don't think dudes will be eliminated from rosters from being returners, maybe purely a returner.  But as far as keeping 5 or 6, you want to get some of them time on the field you have to play them somewhere.

Redskins are competing for a division title, not focused on rebuilding. Yes, the team can improve, mostly on the defensive side of the ball, but Redskins are built to win the division title this year.

Barring catastrophic injuries taking place it would be a let down if Skins don't pull out the division this year again.

No excuses!

I think Jerry Brewer in his WaPo column today said it best that the Redskins are still in the "process" of becoming a true contender albeit significant "progress" has been made under Scot McCloughan tenure so far.

No question the Skins won the division last year and appear to have en even better roster this year.  But, I think we would be fooling ourselves to think the team is just one "rental" away from being a consistent SB contender.  With the NFCE not being all that tough, the Skins have a shot at repeating as division champs.  But, I wouldn't be surprised either if they didn't repeat.

A "rental" to me is an expensive, older, flashy player brought in for short term purposes as the one missing piece to put a team over the top.  A Josh Norman at age 27 and signed to a long-term deal isn't my idea of a "rental".  I just don't think the Skins are that one "rental" away from being an elite team.  Skins fans need to continue staying patient and allow McCloughan to complete his rebuilding program.  I am certain McCloughan isn't the kind of GM who believes in "rentals" to build a team.  His formula for success has always been developing his own young players and keeping them.

We just brought in 2 WR who specialize in speed and returns. I don't think Ross makes the 53.

I think he will. All it takes is one big return in preseason, or a bunch of touchbacks for the new guys. 

Yeah Ross had that one great return, and then nothing. So it's prudent to bring in some competition, and I agree he doesn't have much of a foothold on the roster spot.  But I think he has more than the 2 new guys. 

Ross hasn't show much on the DJax routes but I am not going to give up on my preseason hero from 3 summers ago. I suspect Crowder will get Desmond Howarded jammed forced into running the DJax tree full time.  Ross is a bit bigger, FWIW. 

Well, Galette is still fair young and he was certainly not expensive.  So, he isn't my idea of a "rental".  I remember past Redskins GMs bringing in old, expensive, flashy "rentals" like Jeff George, Deion Sanders, the HOF defensive end from the Buffalo Bills (whose name escapes me for the moment), etc.  The only thing they accomplished as Redskins was retarding the development of home-grown young players.

Crowder is obviously not as fast as DJax, very few are.  But he can run routes and catch the football.

I don't think dudes will be eliminated from rosters from being returners, maybe purely a returner.  But as far as keeping 5 or 6, you want to get some of them time on the field you have to play them somewhere.

Really difficult to tell who will be kept for the last few roster spots.  Special teams--not only the ability to return, but the ability to cover as well--could well decide who stays and who goes.  It suffices to say that Ross shouldn't set down roots here just yet.

Archived