Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

Sucks about Daniels, I was pretty happy with his selection and was hoping that he would help us on ST this year. Hopefully he can come back next year and be a big part on ST and maybe push for ILB time.

Yet another reason for draft when BPA when you can. There's just no way to predict where or what position group the injury bug will strike

Sucks about Daniels, I was pretty happy with his selection and was hoping that he would help us on ST this year. Hopefully he can come back next year and be a big part on ST and maybe push for ILB time.

Nah, I think he was headed for the practice squad.

Too bad for him. Hopefully, he will be ready next training camp.

Nah, I think he was headed for the practice squad.

Too bad for him. Hopefully, he will be ready next training camp.

Agree.  He either needed to pick up speed or become a savant in this defense to make the team.

Reminds me a lot of HB Blades, but a better tackler (in theory anyway).  Always had work to do to make the team.  This will test his heart and resolve, I'm certainly rooting for him.

If there had to be one person that had to be out of the year without much of an impact Daniels is it.  Not saying this without being upset that he is hurt but that is the truth.  My biggest fear is some other team picks him up before we can get him thru waivers.  Yea I am looking at you Colts.

If there had to be one person that had to be out of the year without much of an impact Daniels is it. Not saying this without being upset that he is hurt but that is the truth. My biggest fear is some other team picks him up before we can get him thru waivers. Yea I am looking at you Colts.

wouldn't mind this happening to one of our fringe corners or safeties either tbh

Phillips had a rough game.  Penalties and getting beat aren't how you make the team.

Keep an eye on the safety battle.  I'm not so sure that Cravens isn't the best SS on the roster right now, but he didn't get the opportunity to be in coverage one on one that much last night.

Dunbar obviously struggled against AR15, or the artist formerly known as.

A depth pass rusher needs to identify himself quickly. 

Just one game and not a lot of gameplanning went into it, but plenty to whine about.

Doing my best not to overreact to the run game, considering we didn't have starters on the left side of our line.  Don't feel top 3 backs were hitting north-south like Brown and Kelly were (you cannot dance back there, don't care if the hole closes up or not).

Its one game and first preseason at that.  The most important thing is no major injuries and Kirk's still got it.  Saw a couple people get "cut" yesterday, but there's three more games to make their case.

This probably fits better here than in the twitter thread...

If we manage to salvage the careers of Ziggy Hood and Greg Toler after the Foster/Blackmon street pick-ups last year, wow. Scot has a real talent for finding undervalued (and, uh, underemployed) vets that fit a specific role we need. That's valuable on its own, never mind his Draft acumen and his feel for building a team culture through locker room character (which a lot of organizations trumpet but very few do well).

We are becoming one of those few organizations that consistently takes other teams' reclamation projects and succeeds at making them another cog in our machine. 

That's amazing, and will be a source of fairly cheap labor over the years as we pay out more and more contracts to our core players.

On 8/12/2016 at 4:51 AM, DC9 said:

Phillips had a rough game.  Penalties and getting beat aren't how you make the team.

Keep an eye on the safety battle.  I'm not so sure that Cravens isn't the best SS on the roster right now, but he didn't get the opportunity to be in coverage one on one that much last night.

Bucky Brooks report card on Cravens:

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Su'a Cravens, linebacker. Cravens' potential impact as a hybrid defender (linebacker/safety) made him a top priority for the Redskins on draft day. The ex-USC standout immediately flashed his disruptive potential with a superb effort in his preseason debut against the Falcons on Thursday. The second-round pick notched three tackles (two for loss) and a pass breakup while wreaking havoc on Atlanta's offense as a sideline-to-sideline menace. GRADE: B+

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Bucky Brooks report card on Cravens:

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Su'a Cravens, linebacker. Cravens' potential impact as a hybrid defender (linebacker/safety) made him a top priority for the Redskins on draft day. The ex-USC standout immediately flashed his disruptive potential with a superb effort in his preseason debut against the Falcons on Thursday. The second-round pick notched three tackles (two for loss) and a pass breakup while wreaking havoc on Atlanta's offense as a sideline-to-sideline menace. GRADE: B+

Yeah I'd be more happy with Cravens if that performance was against the ones, but there's only one Sean Taylor.  I badly wanted that moment for him, though.  Imagine this place if he picked off that pass he tipped... lol

I will say he was noticeably one of the best players on the field with the 2s, which bodes well for him.  That tackle on the punt return was essential, too... I think dude was gone if Su'a didn't make that tackle.

I agree that it's a good sign that Cravens flashed so clearly and brightly with the 2's...it would be a disappointment even just in the first game, with the hopes we have tied up in him.

Too often with past regimes our high round draft picks have basically blended in with the crowd. It's nice to see Cravens immediately pop among his peers.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This probably fits better here than in the twitter thread...

If we manage to salvage the careers of Ziggy Hood and Greg Toler after the Foster/Blackmon street pick-ups last year, wow. Scot has a real talent for finding undervalued (and, uh, underemployed) vets that fit a specific role we need. That's valuable on its own, never mind his Draft acumen and his feel for building a team culture through locker room character (which a lot of organizations trumpet but very few do well).

We are becoming one of those few organizations that consistently takes other teams' reclamation projects and succeeds at making them another cog in our machine. 

That's amazing, and will be a source of fairly cheap labor over the years as we pay out more and more contracts to our core players.

Because Scot specifically knows what type of player he wants. With what he sees on film (that others don't see, I guess) and when he interviews them, he can tell.

He is building a certain philosophy of what he wants our roster to look like and doesn't stray from it. Something Vinny never did when looking at players. Vinny always went after a name and took no consideration for scheme fit.

25 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Because Scot specifically knows what type of player he wants. With what he sees on film (that others don't see, I guess) and when he interviews them, he can tell.

He is building a certain philosophy of what he wants our roster to look like and doesn't stray from it. Something Vinny never did when looking at players. Vinny always went after a name and took no consideration for scheme fit.

Yes, that is definitely his philosophy. And this is why building a portfolio of combine/prospect interviews is important even when we don't get the opportunity to draft a guy. 1-5 years later when he's available on the waiver wire, via trade, or in FA Scot and the scouts (college and pro) already have a file on them (that they've kept updated through the years).

I mean every team does this, of course. But stability in the FO/catching staff really enhances the effectiveness of stuff like this. Just a small benefit of the whole "well oiled machine" thing, where you can plug in the proper role player and have him fit immediately--both in the locker room and in the scheme.

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yes, that is definitely his philosophy. And this is why building a portfolio of combine/prospect interviews is important even when we don't get the opportunity to draft a guy. 1-5 years later when he's available on the waiver wire, via trade, or in FA Scot and the scouts (college and pro) already have a file on them (that they've kept updated through the years).

I mean every team does this, of course. But stability in the FO/catching staff really enhances the effectiveness of stuff like this. Just a small benefit of the whole "well oiled machine" thing, where you can plug in the proper role player and have him fit immediately--both in the locker room and in the scheme.

Agreed. I've been banging this same drum all offseason:  Scot had guys coming "literally" off the street last year and they contributed to a 9 win team and a division title. We had the 2nd most man-game injuries behind the Giants and still won 9 games and a division. That tells you that he's building up the roster to the point where, if one man goes down, the next man up fills in seamlessly.

Gotta say, I'm excited to see how they break down the roster in terms of unit size.  Good sign of depth (or maybe just homerism) when you want to keep the "max" at most positions - 5 ILBs, 6 corners, 5 safeties, 4 TEs, etc.  

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Gotta say, I'm excited to see how they break down the roster in terms of unit size.  Good sign of depth (or maybe just homerism) when you want to keep the "max" at most positions - 5 ILBs, 6 corners, 5 safeties, 4 TEs, etc.  

The beat guys have never shied away from saying there is a hole.  They've kind of gone out of their way to say we look good at ILB, which was initially thought to be a hole.

They have expressed concern about d-line and RB.  Which I think all of us our tracking.

32 minutes ago, DC9 said:

The beat guys have never shied away from saying there is a hole.  They've kind of gone out of their way to say we look good at ILB, which was initially thought to be a hole.

They have expressed concern about d-line and RB.  Which I think all of us our tracking.

Well, they've said the Redskins have good players and depth at the DL position. Good rotation.

What they lack is that dominant D-lineman that OCs worry about and focus their blocking on, leaving others more free to make plays.

A Dexter Manley-type player, if you will.

Baker probably comes closest to that, but I wouldn't call him "dominant", and I wouldn't put him in Manley's category, either. :)

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Yeah, Dline, RB, S and ILB are the units where I might question the starters (or some of them anyway) a bit more than the depth.  

Archived