Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

I don't think the TEAM is ready to compete with and beat a team as good as Atlanta on the road.  The team is improved at the line of scrimmage but the defensive backfield is very suspect and the receiving corps doesn't really have a deep threat without Jackson in the lineup.  So while I think Kirk is the man he won’t have enough help to win in Atlanta. 

Looks like there is a good chance he will be without Jordan Reed and Desean Jackson -- not to mention Pierre Garcon is banged up. That's insane.

Love to see Kirk for once with the full body of weapons.   One upside is its giving the younger guys, needed reps:  Grant, Ross, Crowder.  Win or lose, I'd like to see Kirk build off of yesterday's good start.  Obviously, he like anyone else will have bad games in the mix but IMO showing some consistency would be big.   

Did anyone else notice a BIG expansion of the game plan...It really seemed that the plays were varied and kept the birds defense from pinning their ears back..when they did Kirk burnt em with quick crossing routes well times. NOT predictable..so while I concur Kirk played GREAT..HE EXECUTED a GREAT Game plan....

*I* Think you'll see Gruden open up a few more pages as he gains confidence that Kirk REALLY grasps his schemes...

I think what we've seen so far this season is a safe watered down version of Jay's passing game designed to keep INT numbers down.

Not because he thinks that gives us the best chance to win, not because he thinks it is the best way to develop Kirk, but because he is trying to keep the owner from benching Kirk.

If this team can put together a few Ws in a row, or at least mistake-free games by KC, I think that will allow Jay to take more risks with KC.  The ints may go back up but so will the long TDs.  DJ coming back will help a lot with this.

They said after the Miami came they had planned to go deep 4 or 5 times to Jackson and were doing so on the play Jackson got hurt.  He's the deep threat and the one the team trusts to track the ball deep.  Garcon doesn't track a deep ball well, maybe the eyesight is an issue I don't know but even if he gets free he doesn't seem to adjust well underneath an incoming deep ball.  Ross has speed but is he really trusted to fight for a deep ball?  Jackson has the speed to get really open and tracks a deep ball well.  Our offense will look different if he comes back strong.

I think what we've seen so far this season is a safe watered down version of Jay's passing game designed to keep INT numbers down.

I agree with your suspicion.

Not because he thinks that gives us the best chance to win, not because he thinks it is the best way to develop Kirk, but because he is trying to keep the owner from benching Kirk.

Sorry.  I'm gonna pick Reason #2.  (And 1.) 

Outstanding today. 

The guy needs to be backed and supported instead of hopped on and shot down when he has a poor game. Absolutely hate elements of our fanbase at times. Like they want him to fail. 

Absolutely delighted for Kirk. Pretty much faultless game. 

Bro this isn't FOX News and people have the right to an opinion.  That means that as a Skins Fan and a Sports Fan, we can critique and discuss issues whenever we feel like it. 

The majority of objective opinions are far more valuable than year after year bangdwagon camp fodders. I personally stated in posts that RGIII needed to go and Cousins should get a shot for 16 games.  The point is that he is going to throw interceptions all year.  Hopefully he will throw more TDs.  However, that doesn't mean he isn't going to catch **** from a loyal fan base who is demanding improvent. 

I believe this is an over achieving team at the moment and quiet possibly a .500 season for a full rookie season by a maturing NFL Quality QB. 

Looks like there is a good chance he will be without Jordan Reed and Desean Jackson -- not to mention Pierre Garcon is banged up. That's insane.

Love to see Kirk for once with the full body of weapons.   One upside is its giving the younger guys, needed reps:  Grant, Ross, Crowder.  Win or lose, I'd like to see Kirk build off of yesterday's good start.  Obviously, he like anyone else will have bad games in the mix but IMO showing some consistency would be big.   

I think a win is too much to hope for under the circumstances but I hope the running game gets on track and shortens the game and Kirk stays within himself, takes what the defense gives and doesn't try to be the hero by forcing a ball. 

It's sad that I was expecting a let down yesterday, but nope, talk about happy. It may be blasphemous, but I almost hate the Eagles more than the Cowboys anymore.

On a side note, one thing that is quite amazing is our massive disparity in time of possession this season; our offense keeps defenses on the field for a LONG TIME.

Hail to the Redskins. 

See one Preseason game.  Detroit Lions vs Washington Redskins.  Where that same O-Line was trashed by media and fans of a certain QB afterwards.  That same O-line was accused of being responsible for the 3 sacks and numerous hits as they were "trying to get him [#10] killed." 

You are pathological in this post.  The LT was cut, Scherff was up and down even with Cousins in the game.  You know a hell of a lot about the game, I won't take that away from you but come on.  Try to be honest here.

Putting that aside, it was exactly the sort of performance you wanted to see from Kirk, though I'm still seeing a sort of lack of dynamism, which is odd because at times (Cleveland 2012, Jax and Philly last year) he seemed fairly explosive in potential but maybe some of that was the result of risk-taking that is unacceptable in the current context.

I'm convinced 90% of football fans don't actually understand football

Classic passive aggressive post.

Look, is the line better itself. Yes. We have a top-end coach, a new first round pick who looks like a keeper and a retooled line in general without clowns like Polumbus being asked to actually start NFL games. And yes, that plays a role. There, is that what you wanted to hear?

No you didn't and I was just stating the fact that Cousin's runs the same system a lot better.

I do not think anybody is questioning Kirk running the system better any more but Kirk ceiling is capped in my opinion and are the demons removed from his game of turnovers. 

I know some people were questioning my assertion that a better throw to Ross results in a TD, but for what it's worth, Cooley said the same thing on 980 today and I know a good portion of the board holds his opinion on game tape reviews in pretty high regard.  I believe Kirk had a similar underthrown pass to Grant or maybe it was also Ross in the Rams game?

I think right now, Gruden and McVay are doing a good job not putting to much on Kirk's plate. I am not sure if it has more to do with bringing him along slowly in the offense and adding more dynamic wrinkles to it as time goes on, or if it is because they understand what they have in Kirk and feel he is better inside a certain bubble.  That's not a knock on Kirk, it is just a realization by coaches perhaps of what they have in him and they are making sure to design an offense around what he can do well.

As I type this, I am watching the Seahawks and Lions game on MNF, and Wilson is pretty much still doing the same drop back throw to first read or scramble out of the pocket and try to improvise routine he has been since he was a rookie.  It is an offense that suits him well and that he excels in. He isn't a pocket passer, but you see Seattle designing their play around what he can do well, and with how good the rest of the team is, it has been a formula for success.

Can the same thing be done in DC with Kirk? Time will tell.

Bro this isn't FOX News and people have the right to an opinion.  That means that as a Skins Fan and a Sports Fan, we can critique and discuss issues whenever we feel like it. 

The majority of objective opinions are far more valuable than year after year bangdwagon camp fodders. I personally stated in posts that RGIII needed to go and Cousins should get a shot for 16 games.  The point is that he is going to throw interceptions all year.  Hopefully he will throw more TDs.  However, that doesn't mean he isn't going to catch **** from a loyal fan base who is demanding improvent. 

I believe this is an over achieving team at the moment and quiet possibly a .500 season for a full rookie season by a maturing NFL Quality QB. 

It doesn't make sense to me though if people say he needs 16 games but then complain and question Kirk after he has one poor game against the Giants. 

When he plays well the narrative on here often is "he needs to do it in more than one game", but when he has one poor game its "Kirk's a back up QB at best". It's like some people don't want to believe the fact he might be starter quality. 

Ideally we'd all remain grounded and not come to any big conclusions about Kirk until he's actually played 16 games. Then scrutinize/evaluate his game as much as we want after that. I'm not naive enough to believe thats realistic but the amount of people on here who basically wrote Kirk off after the Giants game as a 'back up QB' is ridiculous.

He's going to have growing pains coming from 3 years of sitting on the bench for the majority, to being a full time NFL starter. Got to take the good with the bad for the time being. 

I think the reason Kirk is getting the love is because under last years supposedly poor O line he didn't take sacks and once again he isn't taking very many sacks.

Under the same line last year the other QB's got their blocks knocked off, I think its obvious Kirk doesn't need 4 seconds to pass like the rest of them do.

You have data to compare and its apples to apples if you just look at last year and throw out this years upgrades to the oline.

I think Kirk understands the offense much better than the other two quarterbacks. Hey maybe hanging out with Jon Gruden in the off season went a long way in understanding the offense something the other two quarterbacks should have considered. This is the reason I think Kirk is ahead of the curve in the offense but once again will Kirk rise above his ceiling and become a top 16 quarterback. 

I've been busy and not online much but I just have to lol at the morons who insist that someday Cousins might be as prolific as Alex Smith.

Do they even watch the games? Alex Smith is John Beck with an illadvized contract. Andy Reid can't be happy after his deep ball passers in Philly.

we had a few very dynamic plays that juked out a few folks as they unfolded ... I hope Jay keeps that up. 

I heard we put Crowder in backfield, missed that... 

Yeah - on a 3rd down. He ran an HB choice route and was isolated with a linebacker and broke open over the middle but Cousins threw it to the other side for a completion and first down. I think we will see that again down the road.

Classic passive aggressive post.

Look, is the line better itself. Yes. We have a top-end coach, a new first round pick who looks like a keeper and a retooled line in general without clowns like Polumbus being asked to actually start NFL games. And yes, that plays a role. There, is that what you wanted to hear?

1. I was agreeing with you, genius

2. Not sure you know what passive aggressive means.

I do not think anybody is questioning Kirk running the system better any more but Kirk ceiling is capped in my opinion and are the demons removed from his game of turnovers. 

Yeah, that's the ticket talk about demons and ceilings and icky stuff because it is unpleasant to contemplate the guy you said was a slug after 6, 10, 12 games is growing and improving after what 13 starts?  Players develop and like it or not Cousins is developing.

You'll have opportunities to be critical soon, maybe this weekend, but criticizing him after his performance leading a 90 yard come from behind victory makes you sound like the one with the ceiling and demons.  Don't let any of the flying monkeys go up your butt.

if the redskins win anywhere close to 50% of games this year you have to lock up kirk. No offense to the rest of the team but we are in a rebuild mode and aren't really stocked to compete against NE talent wise. Determining how good kirk is by playing a top team may be misleading since they are across the board more complete right now.

we need to look at this as a 4-12 team and anymore wins than 4 are on cousins and gruden growing.

Yeah, that's the ticket talk about demons and ceilings and icky stuff because it is unpleasant to contemplate the guy you said was a slug after 6, 10, 12 games is growing and improving after what 13 starts? Players develop and like it or not Cousins is developing.

You'll have opportunities to be critical soon, maybe this weekend, but criticizing him after his performance leading a 90 yard come from behind victory makes you sound like the one with the ceiling and demons. Don't let any of the flying monkeys go up your butt.

Dude you really need to stop with this stuff. It's getting old really fast.

What can you say?  Some people can never let go of that 2012 season, which btw Cousins was responsible for 2 of those 10 wins.  Tell you what looking at that game last night Wilson to me looked very ordinary, playing QB on a great running/defense team.  If not for that bad call at the end of the game Seattle could easily be 1-3 right now.  Could it be that this league has figured out option read QBs?  I think so, hell Kaep took the 49ers to the superbowl, how is he doing now?

What can you say?  Some people can never let go of that 2012 season, which btw Cousins was responsible for 2 of those 10 wins.  Tell you what looking at that game last night Wilson to me looked very ordinary, playing QB on a great running/defense team.  If not for that bad call at the end of the game Seattle could easily be 1-3 right now.  Could it be that this league has figured out option read QBs?  I think so, hell Kaep took the 49ers to the superbowl, how is he doing now?

Kaep absolutely sucks butter milk right now.  On the radio this morning it was said that they are running the most basic offensive system ever deployed in the NFL.  Kaep isn't even responsible for "checks" at the line of scrimmage, his Oline does that, and doesn't even need to tell him about it.

Good thing SF protected themselves with that contract.

$100MM dollar man... Not so much.

Archived