Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Okay sit and sulk in your RGIII sleeper PJs while the rest of us are happy tonight.

Try being happy (which we all should be!) without edging towards a warning for trolling with comments like the one above

General warning to all its very easy to give credit to Cousins for a very good performance withoit trolling people who have been/are supportive of Griffin. Note to others if you can't be happy and give credit to Cousins for yesterdays game you need to ask yourself why.

Kirk moves the chains.  That's encouraging.    We have had some wonderful time consuming drives.  We are controlling ball almost 40 to 20 in these games.   That's crazy.  There is a basis there to build on.  When he keeps it simple, he can play brilliant.  Mastering the short game.   Djax will help tremendously.  It's when he forces he gets himself into trouble.  There was one time in this game (first half I believe we were going right to left) where he rolled out and could have easily run for an eight yard gain, but threw to a covered Grant.  I was like run that and get the easy eight yards dude.  The simple was there.  Ended up kicking field goal. 

We are a tough team to defend when it's second and two or three.  For the most part he took the simple.

What I like about Kirk is how he processes things. By him stating he would not have been able to do what he did yesterday a year or two ago is realizing his limitations and growth.   And, the more experience he gets, the better he is going to become.  He clearly wants to master the west coast offense.   Then how good can this offense become.  Then be in it for years.  Like the top quarterbacks in the league.  That's how you become elite. 

Joe Montana always said that taking the simple (meaning what the defenses gives you) wears on them mentally.  To the point they start feeling like they can't stop you.  

Solid game from KCousins. The impressive part for me was his ability this week to put last week behind him. The QB position is as much mental as it is physical & KCousins took a big step forward in the mental part of the game. A 90-yard game winning drive is going to do a lot to build his confidence. 

He needs to continue to build on this performance.

Oh...and how about the OL? Kudos to them for another great game. Maybe we've found the new starting LG?

Game manager.  Not mad at that. Just be efficient and cut down on the mistakes.  Probably will never be elite, but that's OK.  Just go out there and do your job.  Which he did today. 

This^^^ x1000

He played well today -- game winning drive was impressive.  Kirk is clearly the best option for this team moving forward in the near term future.  I will feel the same way regardless of his performances in future games, ie, losing w/throwing INTs.  He needs to start the entire season.

Just have to keep grinding and believing.   Atlanta ain't gonna be easy.   Same formula.  Control the clock.  Only this time, get td's.  And, they might have a chance.   Will have to play their best game to date. 

I agree. If we can get the running game going like we did against the Rams we have a shot. I don't expect one "expert" to pick us to win this game, which can play in our favor. I did pick us to win against the Eagles, because I NEVER pick us to lose against the Eagles. Against my morals.

Anyway, I think Kirk has developed nicely since last season. Even in a losing effort like the Giants game we were mounting a late rally when in the past it would've been an absolute blowout and Cousins would've folded. Same with the Philly games from this year and last. He was in the same position last year to drive the Redskins to a win and didn't deliver; this year he did. People forget that last season was a total cluster with drama in the locker room, a porous offensive line, rotating QBs, and an overall lack of team vision. I don't think any QB could've succeeded. To me the difference is there is finally a plan from the Redskins coaching staff to stick with one QB all season barring injury and to see how it plays out. The team needs more confidence in Kirk so he can develop without the threat of being yanked over one interception hanging over his head.

I was listening to the radio this morning and they played a clip of Cousins saying that yesterday's winning TD drive was the culmunation of several seasons of practice and making mistakes in preparation. That should give us an idea of the patience we need at the QB position. He needs 16 games.

I was listening to the radio this morning and they played a clip of Cousins saying that yesterday's winning TD drive was the culmunation of several seasons of practice and making mistakes in preparation. That should give us an idea of the patience we need at the QB position. He needs 16 games.

Yea, I picked up on a bit of that on highlights and he said he would not have been able to make that pass when he first came in the league. Good to see him humble even in a great victory, shows some maturity.

I just read this so I thought I would add it to this thread:

“Cousins' 31 completions in 46 attempts were a career high and the most completions ever by a Redskins quarterback against the Eagles, which is really no big deal, because the teams have only played 161 times.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20151005_Anger_reigns_as_Eagles__season_unravels.html

Like I've already said Kirk had his best game this year yesterday.

With that being said it was the Eagles and the Skins were home.

I just want to see him put 3 or 4 of those games together in a row.

I understand there's going to be growing pains and I don't have a problem with a bad pass or even a bad game.

I just want to see consistency with Kirk.

So hopefully he doesn't come out and lay a egg next week.

I was very impressed with Kirk yesterday. I'd like to see Gruden give him the opportunity to make more plays down the field but it's a process and I understand that. Like I said before I don't know what to think of him because one week he plays well and then the next week he's bad. I'm curious to see if he starts stringing together some good performances but for right now I'm happy with the way he played yesterday.

I'm not going to sit here and say "he's the man" because he's been so up and down but for right now he appears to be developing which is all we can ask for. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

This was a typical "game manager" type effort—stop making it seem like it was some sort of heroic type performance.  He didn't turn it over (although he was close twice) and he didn't make any boneheaded throws.  That is what you expect out of a game manager and Cousins did it well.

But you dudes are ridiculous with the pompoms.  It's pathetic.

I could say what is actually pathetic but then the mods will be all over me and I can't afford it.  :)  

Let me just say as a redskins fan I am happy this morning because at least for the first 4 games, and even though we are 2-2 we have been in 3 or the 4 games and in those games the offense kind of resembled an offense.  I will leave it at that.

Have you forgotten the line looked awful when Griffin was playing? Kirk is a major part of why the line is performing well. He can read defenses, call audibles, change protections, maneuver well within a pocket and quickly go through his route tree so he is a effective collaborator with the line.

Amazing how much better the line looks in pass pro with Kirk in there.

Amazing how much better the line looks in pass pro with Kirk in there.

It's amazing how much better the line looks without Chester and Polumbus.

I could say what is actually pathetic but then the mods will be all over me and I can't afford it. :)

Let me just say as a redskins fan I am happy this morning because at least for the first 4 games, and even though we are 2-2 we have been in 3 or the 4 games and in those games the offense kind of resembled an offense. I will leave it at that.

Actually what's pathetic is you getting on every bodies case after you ran around like chicken little in the game day thread. You should be a bit more humble today.

It was awesome to see a game winning drive, culminated in a red zone TD pass to a WR. It's a rarity all around. 

I think it's speculation at best to say Kirk purposefully under threw an open Ross deep to avoid him getting his clock cleaned. If he threw it to the open window to avoid contact with a defender 40 yards downfield, it could be argued the throw was a tad late.

With the praise being heaped at Cousins and fans gushing after a win, defending anything that could be perceived as a negative is the order of the day. It's how we roll. 

I don't care if you want to stick the "game manager" label on Kirk.  We freaking won and actually led a 90 yard game winning drive.  Remember when fans (even realistic fans) were saying we'd be 0-4 or at least 1-3 with luck on our side after the first four games?  We're 2-2 tied for first place in the division.  Game manage away, Kirk.

It's amazing how much better the line looks without Chester and Polumbus.

Actually what's pathetic is you getting on every bodies case after you ran around like chicken little in the game day thread. You should be a bit more humble today.

Say what?  Why you had a problem how I commended about the refs in the game threat?  Show me a post in there that I said anything negative about Kirk or anyone on our team for that matter.  The refs for me blew the game sky high and if I had the power to do so I would make sure that crew never reffed another game

Anybody hear Kevin and Andy pretty much roast Kirk for not being edgier and more outspoken? Also saying his responses are too rehearsed? 

It was almost surreal ... coming off a guy like Robert that would not shut up, and they are clamoring for essentially more of that or at worst the potential of more of that. 

I literally could not believe my ears. 

I don't care if you want to stick the "game manager" label on Kirk.  We freaking won and actually led a 90 yard game winning drive.  Remember when fans (even realistic fans) were saying we'd be 0-4 or at least 1-3 with luck on our side after the first four games?  We're 2-2 tied for first place in the division.  Game manage away, Kirk.

Hey, looks like, what we got right now is . . . .

• A running game that's good enough to demand that the opposing D stack the box on every play. 
  • A defense that's good enough to keep us close. 
  • And a QB who's good enough to beat single coverage, often enough. 

Sounds like a formula that we can ride to the neighborhood of 8-8 or so.  And maybe win the division. 

Oh.  BTW.  And the most pass completions against Philly in the history of the rivalry. 

Archived