Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

0 turnovers today from Kirk,. Sacked Once.

Skins are now 2-0 when Kirk protects the football!

Great job again today Captain Kirk. Impressive game winning drive. Seriously. 6 minute game-winning drive was awesome.

On that drive Cousins:

6-8 for 44yds and a TD. Also 2 - 2 on converting on third down. 

And a huge shoutout to Pierre. Whoa. Just whoa. Big and nasty on that drive. 

Have you forgotten the line looked awful when Griffin was playing? Kirk is a major part of why the line is performing well. He can read defenses, call audibles, change protections, maneuver well within a pocket and quickly go through his route tree so he is a effective collaborator with the line.

Well, that and having 3 new starters on the line. (With the improvement he had over last season, Lauvao might as well have been a new starter.)

Have you forgotten the line looked awful when Griffin was playing? Kirk is a major part of why the line is performing well. He can read defenses, call audibles, change protections, maneuver well within a pocket and quickly go through his route tree so he is a effective collaborator with the line.

When please tell me when and don't talk about last season.

This was a typical "game manager" type effort—stop making it seem like it was some sort of heroic type performance. He didn't turn it over (although he was close twice) and he didn't make any boneheaded throws. That is what you expect out of a game manager and Cousins did it well.

But you dudes are ridiculous with the pompoms. It's pathetic.

Lolololol, this is why we can't have nice things. Cause you won't let us have our fun after a win :(:P

Kirk wasn't to my eyes playing with a clean pocket a lot and didn't have much of a running game, was in 2nd-3rd down and long a lot, set back like crazy by penalties, didn't have great field position -- and played well regardless and led a comeback drive.  If Kirk can play like this semi-consistently -- he's better than just a game manager IMO.

I have been reluctant to put my chips on Kirk because of his inconsistency.  And, I am not there yet on Kirk.  But purely judging his performance today and looking at everything on the aggregate, I do think Kirk's ceiling is higher than being a game manager. 

This may have been a big step forward...

May have been just another turn on the Cousins Carousel...

But, this is why it is important for him to get all year. Find out what he really can be. Feels good.

Agreed. 

Up until that game-winning drive (which came out of nowhere, by the way), I was telling my friends that the way Cousins has played + the play-calling makes it so that we have to be virtually perfect to even score 20 points. 

I hope today's drive breathes some confidence into Cousins, but that definitely remains to be seen. If nothing else, he played a clean game, managed things well, and then made the big plays in crunch time. That should relieve some of the pressure and buy he and Gruden a few more games to continue improving. 

Kirk wasn't to my eyes playing with a clean pocket a lot and didn't have much of a running game, was in 2nd-3rd down and long a lot, set back like crazy by penalties, didn't have great field position -- and played well regardless and led a comeback drive. If Kirk can play like this semi-consistently -- he's better than just a game manager IMO.

I have been reluctant to put my chips on Kirk because of his inconsistency. And, I am not there yet on Kirk. But purely judging his performance today and looking at everything on the aggregate, I do think Kirk's ceiling is higher than being a game manager.

I really dont know what to make of the guy but this is a pretty fair and accurate post for me.

I really wish we would let him air it out more. It might be at the expense of wins this year but we will hopefully find out more about him by the end of the season.

This was a typical "game manager" type effort—stop making it seem like it was some sort of heroic type performance.  He didn't turn it over (although he was close twice) and he didn't make any boneheaded throws.  That is what you expect out of a game manager and Cousins did it well.

But you dudes are ridiculous with the pompoms.  It's pathetic.

Okay sit and sulk in your RGIII sleeper PJs while the rest of us are happy tonight.

This was a typical "game manager" type effort—stop making it seem like it was some sort of heroic type performance.  He didn't turn it over (although he was close twice) and he didn't make any boneheaded throws.  That is what you expect out of a game manager and Cousins did it well.

But you dudes are ridiculous with the pompoms.  It's pathetic.

EL OH EL 

I believe this was Cousins best game he's played this year.

I will say he had to fight against more than the Eagles defense today.

As far as I'm concerned he fought against some poor play calling as well. Cousins was by far the bright spot today and when it got to the 4th. I wanted him to take over and I didn't want to see another run. After watching a poor run game for 2 quarters.

Point is Cousins looked good. Now he needs to keep it up.

This thread is dangerous

With that said, today's game showed the exact reasons why many people on here discuss Cousins "ceiling" versus a guy like McCoy and why he's worth starting.  That was the first game since probably 2012 where we won due to QB play "putting a team on his back."

I know it's annoying to already predict the response by people in here, but anyone calling the game today a "game managing" day are only calling it that because of past reputation.  I'm not saying Cousins won't have a poor game next week, and then a game managing game the week after, and so on, and eventually top out as an iffy "game manager" or even a career backup, but he made key throws consistently in this game when he had to, and when the defense knew it was coming.

Today wasn't an example of being a game manager.  We half committed to the run today but it was the passing game that came through when necessary, and a game manager isn't supposed to win in that type of scenario.  That was the precise type of game that, for this year, entices people about what his "ceiling" is. 

Cousins played a very good game and I also think Gruden used him very wisely. Most of his passes were short to intermediate high percentage throws and not a lot of risky stuff; He dialed up a good game plan and it worked well. His long ball accuracy was disappointing but peppering a few in there was a good idea to at least keep the defense somewhat honest. OL did a great job; they really gave him plenty of time to make smart decisions. The final drive was something I've wanted to see from him for a while. Garcon beasted out on that drive as well...that catch into traffic down the middle where the route was jumped and he just muscled the ball away was nice...and the TD catch was a great one too.

The only issue I still have is being such a low scoring offense. Getting into shootouts is when we're going to have serious problems IMO. Our defense showed up and really helped out by shutting them down in the first half. Second half was much more meh, but we had a decent lead going in so it wasn't anything insurmountable.

What I really want to see now from Cousins is a couple more good games in row. That's the biggest issue with him is consistency. We've been on this roller coaster ride with him before.

All in all a very good, mistake free game from him. Very happy with it...and the WIN! HTTR

Calm down guys. Cousins is the QB version of Rod Gardner. Good overall game today. Gave it away last week. Next week, you confident in him? You shouldn't be.

We don't have an NFL starter on this roster, but good Cousins can get the job done ok most weeks.

I'm somewhere between this guy and the op....

This thread is dangerous

With that said, today's game showed the exact reasons why many people on here discuss Cousins "ceiling" versus a guy like McCoy and why he's worth starting.  That was the first game since probably 2012 where we won due to QB play "putting a team on his back."

I know it's annoying to already predict the response by people in here, but anyone calling the game today a "game managing" day are only calling it that because of past reputation.  I'm not saying Cousins won't have a poor game next week, and then a game managing game the week after, and so on, and eventually top out as an iffy "game manager" or even a career backup, but he made key throws consistently in this game when he had to, and when the defense knew it was coming.

Today wasn't an example of being a game manager.  We half committed to the run today but it was the passing game that came through when necessary, and a game manager isn't supposed to win in that type of scenario.  That was the precise type of game that, for this year, entices people about what his "ceiling" is. 

I dunno. I would call it more of a game managing day than you would. It was just that he managed it well. Most of his throws were short to intermediate high percentage stuff with the other half being runs. The run game was decent (though Almo was stuffed too much early) and the defense was balling out. He didn't need to come out slinging the ball around to make plays. Just slow, deliberate, and mistake free. Any time your QB has zero TDs through almost the entire game you can't really say he put the team on his back. The last drive was very good but he was also helped by having a very effective run game during it, as well as Garcon balling out.

He played the role of an excellent game manager. No bad mistakes, smart throws but not much big stuff. A good game plan for him.

I believe this was Cousins best game he's played this year.

I will say he had to fight against more than the Eagles defense today.

As far as I'm concerned he fought against some poor play calling as well. Cousins was by far the bright spot today and when it got to the 4th. I wanted him to take over and I didn't want to see another run. After watching a poor run game for 2 quarters.

Point is Cousins looked good. Now he needs to keep it up.

What he did more than I've ever seen him to before is overcome mistakes by teammates. Garcon had that facemask penalty to put us in a tough spot yet he still converted the first down a couple plays later. He had a couple nice pass plays wiped away due to chop blocks or illegal men downfield penalties too. 

I'm not trying to claim he did it alone...guys made plays for him and Gruden was creative at times with the play-calling. But, what we've failed to do very often at all is maintain drives when we get behind the chains. Usually 2nd-and-14 or 3rd-and-9 kill us and today we converted a lot of those. 

During the preseason when Griffin was playing. You don't rememer all that caterwauling about the line? Do you remember the Detroit game? I feel like I am wasting time and pixels here....

I knew you were going go there which makes no sense.  Trent Williams was not playing and it was a jailbreak on the left side while the starters were playing. He got a freakin concussion as a result and the starting LT that game was cut in the first round of cuts.

Please try better next time.

I really dont know what to make of the guy but this is a pretty fair and accurate post for me.

I really wish we would let him air it out more. It might be at the expense of wins this year but we will hopefully find out more about him by the end of the season.

Some were talking before the season about Desean being a goner next season because of the lack of guaranteed money for 2016-so easy to release, etc.  Seeing how limited they are going down the field without him, I'd be bringing him back and signing him to an extension.  I think Kirk throws a good deep ball and I expect this offense to be noticeably more explosive when Desean returns.

I dunno. I would call it more of a game managing day than you would. It was just that he managed it well. Most of his throws were short to intermediate high percentage stuff with the other half being runs. The run game was decent (though Almo was stuffed too much early) and the defense was balling out. He didn't need to come out slinging the ball around to make plays. Just slow, deliberate, and mistake free. Any time your QB has zero TDs through almost the entire game you can't really say he put the team on his back. The last drive was very good but he was also helped by having a very effective run game during it, as well as Garcon balling out.

He played the role of an excellent game manager. No bad mistakes, smart throws but not much big stuff. A good game plan for him.

I don't think you can call a win where the QB threw the ball 46 times a game managing day.  And, the fact he got the TD at the end contextually implies that it was a key drive that a game manager is often penned to "not have to do" because "they can't get the job done without a solid D and running game."  

They were 9/17 on third downs, which were mostly passing plays. - Edit - 8 of 9 were passing plays, so every single one except the initial RB draw play

Sure though I get what you are saying otherwise. 

It was a good day for him, but lets not get too overly excited.

If he continues to play good then we will have our answer, but the Eagles aren't exactly a strong defensive team.

Nevertheless he gets a thumbs up today.

The Eagles are reeling this year. Definitely a good win but this team problem will be beating the good teams and average teams. To beat Atlanta would be a step in the right direction. The Giants game was a test that this team failed especially in prime time and against a stronger divisional opponent. They ran the ball very well in that last drive and that was pivotal because it protected Kirk from the disaster that could be. I like Matt Jones but the Butler better get the ball when it counts because Alfred has proven that he is the man. 

I don't think you can call a win where the QB threw the ball 46 times a game managing day.  And, the fact he got the TD at the end contextually implies that it was a key drive that a game manager is often penned to "not have to do" because "they can't get the job done without a solid D and running game."  

They were 9/17 on third downs, which were mostly passing plays. - Edit - 8 of 9 were passing plays, so every single one except the initial RB draw play

Sure though I get what you are saying otherwise. 

Well I'm not trying to discredit or down him. He played very well. Yes he threw the ball 46 times but again most of them were short to intermediate high percentage throws (as evidenced by still having under 300 yards passing), and there's nothing wrong with that. But he wasn't asked to go out and sling the ball around and create plays. He played within the game plan and kept his mistakes to a minimum. That's exactly what you want a game manager to do. On the last drive he showed very good poise which I am glad to see from him in crunch time as he's been lacking that for some time now.

LOL. He's the reason we won the game.

Wouldn't go that far. There were a lot of reasons we won that game. It was definitely a team win.

Archived