Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

He played a solid mistake free game that put the team in position for a chance to win it in end. He should be given tremendous credit for coming through at end and making some great throws. This hopefully will prove to be a positive step in his overall development. 

Ya know, you do this a lot. Talk about KIRK. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with anyone but #8.

Wait Kirk has #8??? Why??? Is our front office stupid...???? Do they not realize that INTERCEPTUS REXUS was also #8?? I'm starting to think its the front offices fault that all these interceptions are happening :( think about it...he changed his number the first offseason gruden started.

Well I'm not trying to discredit or down him. He played very well. Yes he threw the ball 46 times but again most of them were short to intermediate high percentage throws (as evidenced by still having under 300 yards passing), and there's nothing wrong with that. But he wasn't asked to go out and sling the ball around and create plays. He played within the game plan and kept his mistakes to a minimum. That's exactly what you want a game manager to do. On the last drive he showed very good poise which I am glad to see from him in crunch time as he's been lacking that for some time now.

\

How many QBs in the NFL are asked to go out and sling the ball and create plays? Really not that many because there really aren't that many good QBs in the league.

How many QBs in the NFL are asked to go out and sling the ball and create plays? Really not that many because there really aren't that many good QBs in the league.

Right. Again, I wasn't trying to fault him for it or downplay him. Just saying that he was used wisely and played smart, mistake free football within the game plan they came up with, which was high percentage stuff and not a lot of risk. And it worked.

Kirk had a good game but the man?

Kirk won't be the man until he has played 2 full seasons as the starter and earning himself a nice starting QB contract.

I want to see 2 full seasons before giving him that contract.  We are still drafting a QB next year. Where depends on Kirk's performance.

Let's see how Kirk plays all year.   We will get a good test next week.  Since the Pats are on our schedule this year, that will be the ultimate test.

Right. Again, I wasn't trying to fault him for it or downplay him. Just saying that he was used wisely and played smart, mistake free football within the game plan they came up with, which was high percentage stuff and not a lot of risk. And it worked.

Don't you think thats how the redskins used Griffin the past two years and he still couldn't get the job done?He was a to machine and couldn't win a game..

Well I'm not trying to discredit or down him. He played very well. Yes he threw the ball 46 times but again most of them were short to intermediate high percentage throws (as evidenced by still having under 300 yards passing), and there's nothing wrong with that. But he wasn't asked to go out and sling the ball around and create plays. He played within the game plan and kept his mistakes to a minimum. That's exactly what you want a game manager to do. On the last drive he showed very good poise which I am glad to see from him in crunch time as he's been lacking that for some time now.

Wouldn't go that far. There were a lot of reasons we won that game. It was definitely a team win.

When you and others use the term "game manager"  discrediting him is exactly what you're doing.  At least be a man and own up to it.  I'd respect your opinion more.

When you and others use the term "game manager" discrediting him is exactly what you're doing. At least be a man and own up to it. I'd respect your opinion more.

Well, that's exactly how Jay Gruden described him after the game. And I'm not one of the ones who said he was a game manager today.

Kirk did today what Kirk does best, and he definitely manned up on the final game-winning drive, but let's also remember on that final drive, the coaches suddenly remembered to use the run game, which helped out a lot.  Contrast that with the drive before that where it was three passes in a row and it looked awful.

I re-watched most of the game and Kirk looked great at being Kirk, which was the high percentage passes to the short-intermediate zone of the field.  The one real opportunity he got to air it out was to Ross, which was again an underthrown ball that likely goes for a TD, or at least the DB is chasing him from behind to make some kind of miraculous tackle at best.

The run game was really hot & cold today, but more cold than hot except in small samples.  The offense really stalled and stopped being effective in the 2nd half until late in the game, and I am still going to suggest it is because there really isn't a plan B with what you can do with Kirk as far as changing the offense.  What you see at the beginning of the game is what you will get for the entire time.  You don't really see our offense suddenly go to 4 wideouts with Kirk slinging it downfield the way you do with other offenses when they get pressed into those situations.  Sure, we might go 3-4 wides, but look where the ball still eventually ends up getting thrown.

That's fine, it didn't end up mattering today. Kirk got an opportunity to win the game and he went out and did it, it was a great performance and is a good example of what Kirk can be on one of his better days.

When you and others use the term "game manager"  discrediting him is exactly what you're doing.  At least be a man and own up to it.  I'd respect your opinion more.

Whether or not I have your respect is not exactly something I lose sleep over. Being a game manager is not a bad thing and it is not discrediting him. It is simply telling the truth. He wasn't asked to go out and put the team on his shoulders and be a playmaker. They drew up a good, conservative game plan for him with lots of high percentage throws and he executed it well. We had a decent run game, our D was dominant at times, and our OL gave really good protection. It isn't exactly a revelation that he is more of a game manager and not Peyton Manning, nor is it a slight against him to admit that.

I don't think "game manager" is discrediting a QB necessarily. Teams have gone to the Superbowl with game manager QB's before.  It's just that you will have to build the rest of the team a very specific way.

There are things Kirk does and doesn't do, period.  For example, look at Bradford today. He was pretty erratic, not very good, but he still ended up with only 20 yards less than what Cousins passed for on about half the attempts. Why? Because those "burners"  Miles Austin and Riley Cooper got open deep and Bradford connected on them in stride.   Cousins had a chance to do that with Ross, but underthrew the ball again, and it ended up a nice gain which is great, but in reality it was likely a TD with a better throw. 

Maybe as he becomes more comfortable in the offense he will develop other parts of the QB puzzle better, but there is no reason to just assume he will. When it happens we will see it and there will be zero doubt. 

He does seem very chill and in control in the pocket.  Love it.

How many of you thought that dropback in the endzone was going to be a safety?  What's that?  All of you?  Especially when he took an extra second and stepped up.  He knew the guy was coming, but kept looking down the field, let the guy smack his arm and threw.  It was incomplete and the pass really had no chance but still.  Impressive.  

I was not only sure that was going to be a safety, I was pretty sure they weren't winning the game at that point.  Kirk broke my awful mental habits about this team, and good lord do we need more of that.  

I re-watched most of the game and Kirk looked great at being Kirk, which was the high percentage passes to the short-intermediate zone of the field.  The one real opportunity he got to air it out was to Ross, which was again an underthrown ball that likely goes for a TD, or at least the DB is chasing him from behind to make some kind of miraculous tackle at best.

The safety would have cleaned Ross' clock if Kirk had hit him "in stride" instead of fitting the pass into the soft spot between the safety and the CB in the cover 2.  He could have maybe tried to throw it in stride if Ross was closer to the sideline, or could have led Ross toward the sideline a little bit, but that would turn an easy catch into a very difficult catch.

I agree that he hasn't displayed his historically accurate deep ball this season - whether that's a function of not having many burners, not identifying broken coverages when they occur (which I suspect is happening a lot more than we think), etc. is something that I think we'll have a better idea of when the season is over.

He does seem very chill and in control in the pocket.  Love it.

How many of you thought that dropback in the endzone was going to be a safety?  What's that?  All of you?  Especially when he took an extra second and stepped up.  He knew the guy was coming, but kept looking down the field, let the guy smack his arm and threw.  It was incomplete and the pass really had no chance but still.  Impressive.  

I was not only sure that was going to be a safety, I was pretty sure they weren't winning the game at that point.  Kirk broke my awful mental habits about this team, and good lord do we need more of that.  

We have lost so much in the past 20 years that yes I did think we was going to lose that game.Thank God I was wrong!!

Don't you think thats how the redskins used Griffin the past two years and he still couldn't get the job done?He was a to machine and couldn't win a game..

Can we leave Voldemort out of it?

No worries.

I got you man

The safety would have cleaned Ross' clock if Kirk had hit him "in stride" instead of fitting the pass into the soft spot between the safety and the CB in the cover 2. He could have maybe tried to throw it in stride if Ross was closer to the sideline, or could have led Ross toward the sideline a little bit, but that would turn an easy catch into a very difficult catch.

I agree that he hasn't displayed his historically accurate deep ball this season - whether that's a function of not having many burners, not identifying broken coverages when they occur (which I suspect is happening a lot more than we think), etc. is something that I think we'll have a better idea of when the season is over.

I agree 100% Jenkins was ready to lower the boom had Cousins hit him in stride.

He actually accounted for 2 TDs, not just one, and he made a nice throw to the EZ on our 2nd FG drive, but the WR didn't drag his 2nd foot like he should've. That would've been 3 TDs. We moved the ball well, but penalties killed us, and we couldn't pick up 3rd & shorts on the ground. The running game was ineffective for the most part. Kirk was the primary reason why we won.

Another consideration is that the Eagles are tough up front. ATL was intent on getting the ball out quick against Philly when they played in week 1. So I don't see a short/intermediate-heavy game plan as necessarily being one which was asking the QB to be a "game manager."

The safety would have cleaned Ross' clock if Kirk had hit him "in stride" instead of fitting the pass into the soft spot between the safety and the CB in the cover 2.  He could have maybe tried to throw it in stride if Ross was closer to the sideline, or could have led Ross toward the sideline a little bit, but that would turn an easy catch into a very difficult catch.

That, and it looked like Ross had a good angle to cut it back to the middle to make it a bigger play, likely a TD.

Kirk had a good game but the man?

Kirk won't be the man until he has played 2 full seasons as the starter and earning himself a nice starting QB contract.

Kirk is a free agent at the end of this season. The team have to make a decision on him based on this year - if he continues to play the way he did against the Eagles yesterday he will get himself a starting QB contract for next season here. There will be a risk in doing that but no more of a risk than hitting the reset button and drafting a QB high again.

I've been a sceptic on Cousins mainly because of how inconsistent he is and his struggles in pressure situations (e.g. 3rd and passing downs and game winning/losing situations). Yesterday was a big step forward for him - he was far more than a game manager, he made a lot of very good throws in passing situations behind on the chains and led a game winning drive in which he made a couple of clutch throws.

Its fair to say its one game and we need to hold off on the Pro Bowl votes for a while here but it was a big step forward for Cousins.

Archived