Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Actually, just my ignorant opinion, but on this whole "line vs Cousins" "argument", my opinion is:

THEY BOTH HELP THE OTHER.

(And they're both better than last year).

It's a team sport. Our offense helps the defense helps the offense. (Unfortunately, neither of them helps ST).

A 90 yard drive in crunch time...I don't care if anybody waters the charcoals about a better O-line (which did not have the best day providing run support), a shoddy Philly D (they're still pros aren't they), yada yada yada...90 yards and 18 plays, overcoming a couple of drops and penalties for a come from behind TD is still pretty badass. I'm giving him the laurels-he earned them. The QBs on this team don't have to be perfect, but you have to believe they can get it done when it's necessary. 

Kirk did not instruct the line on how to pass block. They did their job very well.

This is not true, Kirk gave a specific example of him making a line adjustment in the game this week on that touchdown pass, the same adjustment he failed to make last week.  The Qb is always adjusting the lineman.

Well, some Qb's do.

Sure the line is better but Kirk didn't take many sacks with last years line.

Assuming cousins stays on the exact path he's on right now what are we going to do with him this offseason.

He's too good to put a 4th round tender on as he'll get snatched up in a second but i also dont feel he's proven hes good enough to be made a franchise quarterback.

Not yet anyway, I'd hate to see us pull a ryan fitzpatrick or matt cassel or something like that but I'd also hate to lose him if he still has the potential to become that.

I would imagine a 2-3 year extension with middle of the road pay.  I won't get much else from anyone else either.  All teams will want to see a larger sample size before giving him a big QB deal.

It looked like they changed some of the signals later in the game.

Did anyone notice that early in the game anytime Cousins tapped his helmet with both hands he audibled to a run?  He did it a lot in the first half.  Then in the 2nd half, seemingly the same call and signal ended up being a pass.

I also really liked the play call/design/execution of that 4th & 1 (or was it 3rd & 1) later in the game where we faked the run and the entire O-line sold the run to the right so well, and it left Cousins with a super easy pass to the left for a 1st down conversion.

Did anyone notice that early in the game anytime Cousins tapped his helmet with both hands he audibled to a run?  He did it a lot in the first half.  Then in the 2nd half, seemingly the same call and signal ended up being a pass.

I also really liked the play call/design/execution of that 4th & 1 (or was it 3rd & 1) later in the game where we faked the run and the entire O-line sold the run to the right so well, and it left Cousins with a super easy pass to the left for a 1st down conversion.

we had a few very dynamic plays that juked out a few folks as they unfolded ... I hope Jay keeps that up. 

I heard we put Crowder in backfield, missed that... 

This is not true, Kirk gave a specific example of him making a line adjustment in the game this week on that touchdown pass, the same adjustment he failed to make last week.  The Qb is always adjusting the lineman.

Well, some Qb's do.

Sure the line is better but Kirk didn't take many sacks with last years line.

I'm not talking about line adjustments. I'm talking about the line keeping their assignments and keeping their blocks up long enough for Kirk to be able to make sound decisions. Again, the two aren't mutually exclusive. They both contribute. I just find it silly that people are crediting Kirk with the fact that the OL blocked well and kept him clean.

I'm not sure it's that simple. 

I think that signal probably means to kill the original play and run whatever the derivation is (probably also called in the huddle). 

Actually, just my ignorant opinion, but on this whole "line vs Cousins" "argument", my opinion is:

THEY BOTH HELP THE OTHER.

(And they're both better than last year).

It's a team sport. Our offense helps the defense helps the offense. (Unfortunately, neither of them helps ST).

okay, so concerining the Skins only giving up 5 sacks, cut up the pie between Cousins, the O-line, play calling, opponents ... (or don't  :P

I would imagine a 2-3 year extension with middle of the road pay. I won't get much else from anyone else either. All teams will want to see a larger sample size before giving him a big QB deal.

You may be right but some other quarterbacks have gotten some significant deals with very little sample sizes.

Having said that its not even really the problem.

Correct me if im wrong but isn't he a free agent after this season?

Doesn't that sort of put us in a bind of trying to figure out how to guarantee we keep him.

If we go into the offseason letting him test the waters we could lose him for nothing, and there in lies the dilemma, what tag do we use on him and what is he worth to us at this point in his career.

Again assuming he looks good but not great the rest of the year.

Quarterbacks are such a premium in this league it wouldnt surprise me if someone stole him unless we protect our interest pretty heavily

I'm not talking about line adjustments. I'm talking about the line keeping their assignments and keeping their blocks up long enough for Kirk to be able to make sound decisions. Again, the two aren't mutually exclusive. They both contribute. I just find it silly that people are crediting Kirk with the fact that the OL blocked well and kept him clean.

I think the reason Kirk is getting the love is because under last years supposedly poor O line he didn't take sacks and once again he isn't taking very many sacks.

Under the same line last year the other QB's got their blocks knocked off, I think its obvious Kirk doesn't need 4 seconds to pass like the rest of them do.

You have data to compare and its apples to apples if you just look at last year and throw out this years upgrades to the oline.

Good to see Cousins actually get acknowledged for his performance last night, as Deion gave him "Drive of the Week" last night on NFL Gameday Breakdown.  Still not much chatter about it nationally.  If that were Romo that went 90 yards and threw a game winning TD, ESPN would have a 10 minute breakdown segment about it.

If Kirk can keep those INTs down, we're in business

Correct me if im wrong but isn't he a free agent after this season?

That's correct.  I didn't think about that.  It does make the situation a little more interesting. 

EDIT:  I'm going to go with more of a John Madden type response.  Either we sign him to a new contract or he will be playing for another team next year.

He also has shown an ability to punish the blitz. 

I totally agree. He's incredibly decisive against the blitz. Will he always make the most sensible read or deliver the ball to the most open receiver when facing a blitz? No. But he's smart and knows where to go with the ball. He's prepared; so now teams won't blitz him as often. Most importantly, the win yesterday can do nothing but elevate his confidence. Atlanta's going to be another test for Cousins; I'm curious to see how he responds to them. Go Skins!

I totally agree. He's incredibly decisive against the blitz. Will he always make the most sensible read or deliver the ball to the most open receiver when facing a blitz? No. But he's smart and knows where to go with the ball. He's prepared; so now teams won't blitz him as often. Most importantly, the win yesterday can do nothing but elevate his confidence. Atlanta's going to be another test for Cousins; I'm curious to see how he responds to them. Go Skins!

I actually think Kirk's style of play lends itself well to the blitz. When being blitzed a QB needs to pre-read it and decide pre-snap where he's going with the ball. Cousins seems to do that quite a bit in general so it makes sense that he would be able to punish the blitz with it.

If we win more often than lose, I am all in on Cousins starting for the rest of the year. 

Then, after the season, the Redskins and Cousins can gauge his value.

Unless he leads the Redskins to the NFC East title.  Going into the playoffs, we should offer him $16 million, all guaranteed for injury.  That would set him up for life.

I just don't get why this whole OL/Kirk thing is mutually exclusive. Why can't the line do well on its own? They picked up blitzes well, kept their assignments and gave Kirk plenty of time. In return Kirk made smart decisions with the ball and didn't have any turnovers. He didn't hold a blocking seminar in the middle of the game to teach guys how to cut block and stay low in their pad level.

See one Preseason game.  Detroit Lions vs Washington Redskins.  Where that same O-Line was trashed by media and fans of a certain QB afterwards.  That same O-line was accused of being responsible for the 3 sacks and numerous hits as they were "trying to get him [#10] killed." 

Kirk has improved his pocket presence and that makes a difference.  He is better at sliding and climbing the pocket.  The other QB led the NFL in Sacks per drop back at 12.5% last season and showed no signs of improvement BEHIND A BETTER O-LINE in preseason!  (Lauvao is out). 

Sorry, your argument is non sequitur. 

See one Preseason game.  Detroit Lions vs Washington Redskins.  Where that same O-Line was trashed by media and fans of a certain QB afterwards.  That same O-line was accused of being responsible for the 3 sacks and numerous hits as they were "trying to get him [#10] killed." 

Kirk has improved his pocket presence and that makes a difference.  He is better at sliding and climbing the pocket.  The other QB led the NFL in Sacks per drop back at 12.5% last season and showed no signs of improvement BEHIND A BETTER O-LINE in preseason!  (Lauvao is out). 

Sorry, your argument is non sequitur. 

It was not the same OL. Not even close. Our starting LT in that game was among the first cuts. That OL vs the Lions was mostly backups.

I appreciate the mods statement (sic) in the last old school thread that the entire thread had become a very old stats-driven thread to knowwhere.

It is great that Cousins threw the winning TD.  Even more so, it was a great, great catch by Garcon.  Cousins threw it in a place that could have gotten Garcon killed, literally.  On the Reed concussion, what happened there? 

It was not the same OL. Not even close. Our starting LT in that game was among the first cuts. That OL vs the Lions was mostly backups.

Show me a QB that has the benefit of a perfect pocket throughout the game. Willie Smith can be seen tapping himself on the butt to let Robert know he had two rushers and needed the back.  Robert never picked that up and got whacked.  On the Scherff sack all Robert had to do was slide to the right.  Unfortunately, he still thinks he can out run everybody and he goes backwards.  You won't out run a hard charging D-line.  You need to use their momentum against them. 

Kirk has had a major, positive impact on the O-line by demonstrating a mastery of NFL protection concepts.  He is much better this year at anticipating the blitz and realizing where to move.  Kirk is much better at getting the ball out of his hands before the pressure gets to him.  He has only been sacked 4 times this season (yesterday's should not have been a sack).  He knows how to slide and climb the pocket to evade pressure while still keeping his eyes down field. 

The comparison between the regular season and preseason is not even close.  Any NFL fan knows that teams run far more exotic blitz packages and take the time to game plan in the regular season.  They are largely vanilla in preseason.

p.s.  The Lions are not a good team.  They haven't won a game this year.  Their awesome defense has given up 83 points in 3 games.  That's almost 28 points per game.  (Wilie Smith was the only player not a starter so no.  They weren't backups)

Did anyone else notice a BIG expansion of the game plan...It really seemed that the plays were varied and kept the birds defense from pinning their ears back..when they did Kirk burnt em with quick crossing routes well times. NOT predictable..so while I concur Kirk played GREAT..HE EXECUTED a GREAT Game plan....

*I* Think you'll see Gruden open up a few more pages as he gains confidence that Kirk REALLY grasps his schemes...

I use to yell at the TV with two runs and a deep ball game plan...not anymore...Loved watching the D's confusion...

LOOKING GOOD GUYS!!!

The final drive sunday showed he has grown some; maybe not much, but definitely to some degree. As he said, he wouldn't have made that pass his rookie year, who knows?

That being said, this week against Atl, he'll have his hands full trying to keep up in the scoring dept, unless the defense surprises us all by slowing or stopping them, which is a possibility. It could be his 'coming out' game if this ends up being a 35+ pt game and a win, and i'll sure be cheering for him, and the rest of the team to do it.

He also might faulter and not play good; Kyle knows his strengths/weaknesses and will be giving their defense all the info he has on him; not many are giving us a chance, but even in a loss, if he plays decently, it will be a positive step, knowing he's not as good as Ryan but got the experience of being in this type of game with all of the tangibles in play.

I don't think the TEAM is ready to compete with and beat a team as good as Atlanta on the road.  The team is improved at the line of scrimmage but the defensive backfield is very suspect and the receiving corps doesn't really have a deep threat without Jackson in the lineup.  So while I think Kirk is the man he won’t have enough help to win in Atlanta. 

Archived