Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

6 minutes ago, Bang said:

A silencer is a murder tool only.

Any other reason given is just someone trying to justify a tool that's sole purpose is to facilitate murder. Not defense. Murder. 

~Bang

Police chiefs are strongly against it. But those liberals can't be trusted on public safety.

The real rationale is that with Obummer no longer in power and ready to ban new gun sales at any moment, gun sales have plummeted. Buy a silencer and you probably need a new gun too. 

10 minutes ago, Bang said:

Any other reason given is just someone trying to justify a tool that's sole purpose is to facilitate murder. Not defense. Murder. 

~Bang

As the resident gun nut, and tye one who is usually leary of gun regulations, I completely agree there isnt a good reason why someone needs a silencer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

As the resident gun nut, and tye one who is usually leary of gun regulations, I completely agree there isnt a good reason why someone needs a silencer.

The argument put forward by some is that guns are noisy. Seriously.

Maybe wearing appropriate hearing protection is an unconstitutional restriction on the right to bear arms.

• Haha 3

I mean is anything going to really change? The people who have deluded themselves into believing a law passed in the 18th century should be applied the same way in a modern society didn't want change after two dozen children were killed so I'm sure they'll use the same idiotic excuses. 

Also, for how much they tout "good guy with a gun", they always seem to be missing in these situations no matter the setting, and GASP, law enforcement has to do the job.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

~Bang

My Wife's cousin works as one of the top guys in the state dept. and handles weapons import/export. Right now silencers are in his jurisdiction but there has been serious push to legalize them for general consumption and take them away from his purview. Who is one of the main people pushing for this to happen?

Donald Trump Jr

Why?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/gun-silencers-are-hard-to-buy-donald-trump-jr-and-silencer-makers-want-to-change-that/2017/01/07/0764ab4c-d2d2-11e6-9cb0-54ab630851e8_story.html?utm_term=.beccf9f73736

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-jr-son-gun-silencer-control-laws-restrictions-campaign-remove-mass-shootings-fears-a7767586.html

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, visionary said:

I consider myself a gun enthusiast and I own several "long gun" rifles.  

That said, why the **** would any law abiding gun owner need a suppressor/silencer?  

• Like 2

Well, based on their complaints, you need a silencer to protect your eardrums..   which noise cancelling headsets obviously can't do.

So by this logic, when my neighbor is playing his car stereo at a zillion decibels, i should shoot him.

You know, for the kids sake.

~Bang

oh wait,, let me put on my silencer

~Bang

• Haha 2

Ending freedom of the press would be a far, far more effective method of ending mass shootings.  Turn it over to the state and let them craft the message, will end copy cat killers and attention seeking, which is 99.99 percent

Since weve established that the bill of rights is a meaningless document, lets aim for effectiveness.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zoony said:

Ending freedom of the press would be a far, far more effective method of ending mass shootings.  Turn it over to the state and let them craft the message, will end copy cat killers and attention seeking, which is 99.99 percent

Since weve established that the bill of rights is a meaningless document, lets aim for effectiveness.

That doesn't seem to correlate with the notion that the individual right to own firearms wasn't guaranteed by the courts until the 1970s (and not by SCOTUS until the 2000s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a gun owner and I see absolutely no reason why I would ever need a suppressor. They're easy enough to get already in many places but now they want to make them even easier? ****ING BRILLIANT IDEA. Easy access to suppressors will made all kinds of crime, including mass shootings, much more difficult to deal with. There's actually no such thing as a "silencer" as it is impossible to completely silence a gun, even with a subsonic round, because of the mechanical noise and a supersonic (rifle) round because of the sonic boom the bullet makes. But a good one can significantly lower the sound and, more importantly in the case of mass shootings, make it far far harder to determine where the shots are coming from. So people would have no way to know where to run and many might just run closer to the shooter and be more likely to die.

If a mass shooter were to use a suppressed subsonic automatic gun like an uzi at a rock concert, NOBODY would hear it as I've heard a suppressed uzi and it basically sounds like a somewhat loud sewing machine. 58+ people died in this latest tragedy. In that case, 58+ people could easily die before anyone even knew what was happening.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, youngchew said:

I consider myself a gun enthusiast and I own several "long gun" rifles.  

That said, why the **** would any law abiding gun owner need a suppressor/silencer?  

"Need" is never really in the equation to begin with.  Nobody needs a gun, silencer, or anything else, they want one.

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

That doesn't seem to correlate with the notion that the individual right to own firearms wasn't guaranteed by the courts until the 1970s (and not by SCOTUS until the 2000s).

This.

The idea that the 2nd Amendment mean unlimited individual access to guns was not the majority view historically.   That is a modern reinterpretation of the law.  Republican Chief Justice Warren Burger didn't believe it.   

'Four times between 1876 and 1939, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to rule that the Second Amendment protected individual gun ownership outside the context of a militia...

From 1888, when law review articles first were indexed, through 1959, every single one on the Second Amendment concluded it did not guarantee an individual right to a gun. "

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/nra-guns-second-amendment-106856

However, the gun nuts were smart and careful.  They knew that if they kept trying to bring their argument of extreme individual gun access to the Supreme Court, they not only would lose, but the Court might issue a decision that definitively closed off the argument for good.

So they waited. They waited for decades, while the NRA funded articles and papers from conservative think tanks to promote this view.    It was only after the Supreme Court was nicely packed with Federalist society judges that they finally pushed forward a case, and got Scalia's 5-4 majority decision in Heller reversed history and gave them what they wanted.    

America got hoodwinked.  Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2