Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

This is from a couple of months back. I saw it then, but usually don’t get in the gun debates so I didn’t post. But, I figure this is important and I am not sure if anything else has happened since this ruling. 

Ban guns with serial numbers removed is unconstitutional.

Oct 13 (Reuters) - A federal judge in West Virginia has ruled that a federal ban on possessing a gun with its serial number removed is unconstitutional, the first such ruling since the U.S. Supreme Court dramatically expanded gun rights in June.

U.S. District Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston on Wednesday found that the law was not consistent with the United States' "historical tradition of firearm regulation," the new standard laid out by the Supreme Court in its landmark ruling.

The decision came in a criminal case charging a man, Randy Price, with illegally possessing a gun with the serial number removed that was found in his car. The judge dismissed that charge, though Price is still charged with illegally possessing the gun after being convicted of previous felonies.

Price's lawyer, Lex Coleman, called the decision "thoughtful, measured and accurate." A spokesperson for the office of U.S. Attorney William Thompson in Charleston, which is prosecuting the case, said the office was "reviewing the ruling and assessing options."

The federal law in question prohibits anyone from transporting a gun with the serial number removed across state lines, or from possessing such a gun if it has ever been transported across state lines.

Serial numbers, first required by the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, are intended to prevent illegal gun sales and make it easier to solve crimes by allowing individual guns to be traced.

Price argued that the law is unconstitutional in light of the Supreme Court's June 24 ruling in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc v. Bruen. That ruling held that under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the government cannot restrict the right to possess firearms unless the restriction is consistent with historical tradition.

Bruen said serial numbers were not required when the Second Amendment was adopted in 1791, and were not widely used until 1968, putting them outside that tradition.

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

This is from a couple of months back. I saw it then, but usually don’t get in the gun debates so I didn’t post. But, I figure this is important and I am not sure if anything else has happened since this ruling. 

Ban guns with serial numbers removed is unconstitutional.

Oct 13 (Reuters) - A federal judge in West Virginia has ruled that a federal ban on possessing a gun with its serial number removed is unconstitutional, the first such ruling since the U.S. Supreme Court dramatically expanded gun rights in June.

U.S. District Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston on Wednesday found that the law was not consistent with the United States' "historical tradition of firearm regulation," the new standard laid out by the Supreme Court in its landmark ruling.

The decision came in a criminal case charging a man, Randy Price, with illegally possessing a gun with the serial number removed that was found in his car. The judge dismissed that charge, though Price is still charged with illegally possessing the gun after being convicted of previous felonies.

Price's lawyer, Lex Coleman, called the decision "thoughtful, measured and accurate." A spokesperson for the office of U.S. Attorney William Thompson in Charleston, which is prosecuting the case, said the office was "reviewing the ruling and assessing options."

The federal law in question prohibits anyone from transporting a gun with the serial number removed across state lines, or from possessing such a gun if it has ever been transported across state lines.

Serial numbers, first required by the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, are intended to prevent illegal gun sales and make it easier to solve crimes by allowing individual guns to be traced.

Price argued that the law is unconstitutional in light of the Supreme Court's June 24 ruling in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc v. Bruen. That ruling held that under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the government cannot restrict the right to possess firearms unless the restriction is consistent with historical tradition.

Bruen said serial numbers were not required when the Second Amendment was adopted in 1791, and were not widely used until 1968, putting them outside that tradition.

What a disgrace.  The second amendment says nothing about felons not being able to possess arms.  What part of “shall not be infringed” do these commies in West Virginia not understand?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What a disgrace.  The second amendment says nothing about felons not being able to possess arms.  What part of “shall not be infringed” do these commies in West Virginia not understand?

Removing rights of felons is consistent with historical tradition though 🤷‍♂️ 

Pomona family's dog allegedly shot dead by neighbor

A family in Pomona is mourning the loss of their dog after they say it was shot dead by a neighbor over the weekend. 

The family say K9, their eight-year-old lab mix, was shot dead Sunday. The family had just moved into the Pomona neighborhood two weeks ago. 

They say K9 was chasing a squirrel around 1 p.m., and followed the animal into the neighbor's yard. That's the neighbor came out of the house and shot the dog three times. Marlon Caballero said he begged the neighbor to let him retrieve the dog in an effort to save him, but the neighbor refused.

"I'm pleading with the neighbor, ‘Hey, please give me my dog, let me have my dog. I can save him if you give me my dog,'" Caballero said.

He went back into the house to call 911, but not before he heard even more gunshots. 

"He goes to the back of his yard and basically unloads another at least six rounds from the revolver that I saw that he had. And from right there it just broke my heart. Just how could somebody do that to [a] dog."

The family got police involved, and have filed a restraining order against the neighbor. The neighbor is facing charges of animal cruelty and discharging a firearm in a public area. He's due in court next month.

"I bought this property solely for my doggy, to run around freely. For this to happen it's unimaginable."

• Sad 1

Florida 12-year-old girl arrested after allegedly bringing loaded Glock 48 to middle school

A middle schooler in Florida was arrested on Friday after she allegedly brought a loaded gun to school.

Deputies responded to reports of a student in possession of a firearm on Friday at Greenwood Lakes Middle School in Seminole County, Florida, according to FOX 35.

The deputies said they watched the shool's dean go through the backpack of a 12-year-old student who reportedly had a loaded black Glock 48.

Deputies later arrested the 12-year-old girl on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm while under the age of 18.

Click on the link for the full article

Michigan man charged with making machine guns, silencers in anticipation of biker club war

An Ogemaw County man is charged with a federal felony for allegedly making and selling machine guns and silencers in preparation for a war between motorcycle clubs.

Jason W. Myers, 53, on Dec. 2 had his first appearance before U.S. District Magistrate Judge Patricia T. Morris on a charge of dealing firearms without a license. The charge is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The same day, the courts unsealed an affidavit in support of the charge, authored by a special agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (or ATF). The document states the investigation into Myers began with an informant sharing information on Myers selling machine guns, silencers, and methamphetamine from his Rose City residence.

Myers went on to describe to the undercover agent how he makes drop-in sears and said he would meet the agent near Flint to provide him with a sear, the affidavit states.

Myers also excitedly told the agent he had recently made a belt buckle gun from carbon fiber for a customer, saying such a thing could go through an X-ray scanner without being detected. Myers went on to agree to sell the undercover agent a rifle with an auto-sear and silencer for $1,200, saying he had three orders ahead of his.

The same day, the informant paid Myers $1,100 for an AM-15, according to the document. Myers also provided the informant with a 100-round drum-style magazine, the agent wrote.

The following week, the agent called Myers to ask about the status of his order. Myers said he was nearly finished with the order, having completed three other firearms that day.

In November, a Genesee County Sheriff’s sergeant was informed by another informant that two known drug dealers had come to his house and exchanged a Mossberg 500 pump-action shotgun for $300. The shotgun had been altered by Myers, the informant alleged.

The shotgun was left at the informant’s house, with the informant turning it over the police, the affidavit states.

Oregon's LGBTQ community worries that a new law will keep them from obtaining guns

Some of Oregon's trans and queer gun supporters are worried that a new state law will prevent them from buying firearms.

The law, Measure 114, grants county sheriffs and police chiefs discretion to determine who qualifies to purchase a firearm under a new permit-to-purchase program.

But Measure 114 lacks criteria clearly defining what disqualifies applicants, details on what makes someone a threat and what data can be used by law enforcement in making that decision. That's a problem for activists who have critiqued law enforcement, particularly in the racial justice protests that took place over the past two years.

Some of Oregon's trans and queer gun supporters are worried that a new state law will prevent them from buying firearms.

The law, Measure 114, grants county sheriffs and police chiefs discretion to determine who qualifies to purchase a firearm under a new permit-to-purchase program.

But Measure 114 lacks criteria clearly defining what disqualifies applicants, details on what makes someone a threat and what data can be used by law enforcement in making that decision. That's a problem for activists who have critiqued law enforcement, particularly in the racial justice protests that took place over the past two years.

"I just feel like if I was to go online and say like the police are terrorists or something ... [the police] would be like, 'Well, you seem like you might not be fit for this community to be armed,' " says Mia Rose, a trans person of color and former licensed firearms dealer. "If they were to get that information that you got snatched up off the street [arrested during the Portland protests prompted by the killing of George Floyd in 2020], I would assume that the law would say they could deny your purchase, or deny your right to have a permit."

Activist Ross Eliot shares the desire for community defense and opposition to Measure 114. Rose and Eliot worry the law will disproportionately inhibit outspoken marginalized groups from purchasing guns, while doing little to prevent domestic terrorism. This is due to a confluence of factors, from the rise of 3D printed 'ghost-guns' to reports of ties by some Oregon law enforcement officials to right-wing groups like Patriot Prayer and the Oath Keepers.

Proponents of the law say it came as a response to mass shootings and hate crimes. Liz McKanna, chairwoman of Lift Every Voice Oregon, the group that wrote Measure 114, highlights that states that have passed similar laws have statistically shown decreases in gun deaths and injuries.

McKanna discounted the concerns about police bias.

"The state police, I believe, will be drafting regulations that might clarify that law," she said. "But they're intended to be objective, and that's something that's left to the whim of law enforcement. You also ask why did we leave it to law enforcement? The statute says that it can be, you know, the sheriff or police or their designee. And it's still possible that the legislature would choose another agency to actually be the permit agent."

McKanna points toward the requirement outlined by the new state law that there is to be an annual publication by police of the number of permit applications made, approved, and denied, as well as the reason for denial. She says the aim of the publication is to function as a mechanism to root out bias.

Seems like if the police demonstrate unreasonable bias in who they give permits to they would be subjecting themselves to a lawsuit under the Equal Protection Clause.

• Thumb down 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, purbeast said:

'm sure the person the gun was originally stolen from was a responsible gun owner.

A "responsible" gun owner who can not in any way be held responsible for what happened with the gun he left lying around unsecured. 

We decided to get away from DC for the holiday weekend and this happened while we were staying in a cabin only 2 minutes away from Coolfont Resort. Can't get away from gun violence in America, just follows us around wherever we go. According to the townies the man believed the woman had been cheating on him. I don't know if that's true or not. 

Murder-suicide under investigation in Morgan County - WV MetroNews

BERKELEY SPRINGS, W.Va. — Morgan County authorities say a Maryland man and woman are dead following a murder-suicide.

It happened last Friday night in the parking lot of Coolfont Resort in Berkeley Springs.

Morgan County Sheriff KC Bohrer said the man was waiting on the woman to leave the resort at about 9 p.m. Boher said when she saw him she began running through the parking lot and he shot her several times–using two different handguns. Bohrer said the man then shot and killed himself.

The names of those involved haven’t been released.

Bohrer said the shootings were captured on the resorts’ video system.

Murder-suicide under investigation in Morgan County - WV MetroNews

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Sad 1

Arkansas city enforces emergency curfew after 'rampage of shootings'

The city of fewer than 3,000 residents has recently experienced more than 10 shootings, according to Mayor Tomeka Butler, including one which killed a local resident on Dec. 24. Facing increased crime, few actionable leads, and limited police resources, Butler announced the "civil emergency curfew" on Dec. 27.

The curfew applies from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. with exceptions for both employment and medical emergencies, officials said.

In a statement to ABC News, Butler said that the frequency of these shootings are unprecedented, adding "this is the first time these acts of this magnitude have taken place."

"Should you be caught during curfew hours, you will be subject to being stopped and searched," Butler said in a video posted to Facebook, in which four law enforcement officers stood behind her.

The op has made a very heartfelt request to close this thread as it's morphed into many themes though all involve guns in his view and it's been a source of dissatisfaction for him for awhile.

I know we still have a mass shooting thread, but if you guys still want one like this has become, someone feel free to start a new one with a slightly different title to avoid confusion. Yeah, right. 😁

Your loyal servant, working on the holidays.

• Sad 1

• Jumbo locked this topic