Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

18 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Right, no law banning bump stocks, just more regulations and licensing, just like full automatic.

More BS.

Unless it's a full-out ban on bump stocks, even with the more regulation, still access and not a permanent solution.  I started wondering if they were that popular (bump stocks) at all and found this NY Post article on how the sales for them have sky rocketed since the Las Vegas massacre.  One shop in the article said they sold maybe 10 per year before now.  Suppliers are all sold out of them, people purchasing them because they think it's going to be banned.  

Link to article:  http://nypost.com/2017/10/05/sales-surge-for-bump-stocks-used-by-vegas-gunman/

56 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Right, no law banning bump stocks, just more regulations and licensing, just like full automatic.

More BS.

More BS? It is illegal to sell an automatic weapon manufactured after 5/19/1986. ILLEGAL. As in, literally banned (for the public).  You can buy an old automatic weapon (manufactured prior to 5/19/1986), but it requires a federal license. An expensive and timely license.

"It takes anywhere from six months to two years to have the privilege granted to you to buy one."

The federal government has a very intensive process to obtain a machine gun license, and knows where every one purchased is. There are 630,019 machine guns registered nationwide.  Law enforcement is required to register their automatic weapons, as is the military. Get caught with an unregistered machine gun?  Up to a $250k fine and 10 years in prison. 

Machine guns are not a problem.

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Suppliers are all sold out of them, people purchasing them because they think it's going to be banned. 

That's pretty much how it works. The fear of anything gun-related being banned causes a run of said item, and prices to skyrocket. You can even see guns in general go up in price after incidents. Even people that never wanted one buy them because they think there may be value in them down the road, or just to have to try out because you can't in the future.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

That's pretty much how it works. The fear of anything gun-related being banned causes a run of said item, and prices to skyrocket. You can even see guns in general go up in price after incidents. Even people that never wanted one buy them because they think there may be value in them down the road, or just to have to try out because you can't in the future.

I know, I just find it disturbing that mod is now going to be highly sought after and we will have more of them out there as people that don't even need them are just buying them "because it may get banned/will get banned".  

I don't know what the annual sales are for a bump stock in the U.S., but I'd imagine fairly low.  I know a lot of gun nuts and none of them to my knowledge owns one or has ever talked about wanting to buy one.  Not shocked by any means sales are up on those, semi-autos, etc. though.  

So I think the NRA's play here is to focus on the bump stocks so they can say they did something and supported some sort of regulation to shut people up. Now, I certainly agree that bump stocks should be regulated or made illegal, but there really aren't that many people who even know what they are and not many gun owners have them. So the NRA doesn't really have to worry about a huge backlash from its supporters. Meanwhile, other actual gun regulations or law still won't be considered and will still be shouted down immediately. They're probably glad he used a bump stock. Gives them something to divert focus to.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So I think the NRA's play here is to focus on the bump stocks so they can say they did something and supported some sort of regulation to shut people up.

Exactly. I thought that immediately.

You focus on ownership and use - but my angle was more that the people who manufacture them aren't the ones driving the nra. They're mod makers, many of them hobbyists that found a way to get in with some Plastics manufacturer.

I don't think Ruger, sig, glock, h&k, Springfield, etc are in the bump stock business.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Exactly. I thought that immediately.

You focus on ownership and use - but my angle was more that the people who manufacture them aren't the ones driving the nra. They're mod makers, many of them hobbyists that found a way to get in with some Plastics manufacturer.

I don't think Ruger, sig, glock, h&k, Springfield, etc are in the bump stock business.

Good point. Not really much, if any, real worry about loss of revenue.

Even if this is mostly a PR stunt by the NRA, I think banning bump stocks will ultimately be a good move, that will IMO save many lives down the line.

This is the worst mass shooting in modern history in the US. It's obviously getting a lot of press. And I'm sure every maniac who might go on to execute the next mass killing with a gun, saw the news and became aware of the lethality and damage potential of a bump stock modded rifle.

They shouldn't have ANY access to such a weapon mod.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

Yeah it's good that it looks like something will be done.

I think it's a shame it's so easy to predict that will be all that's done. And it'll be used as a logical rational for not doing anything more. "Look, we agreed to regulate/ban that thing, didn't even put up a fight. We're reasonable"

• Like 2

I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that even this will be done. 

Granted, I'm going from memory. But after Newtown, I seem to remember the NRA announcing that they were giving their people permission to vote for something, (assault weapons ban renewal?), without retaliation. And then, over the following weeks, walking back that announcement. From what I remember, the Dems eventually had to force them to even allow a vote (something about the Dems allowing a vote on some bill, if the R's allowed a vote on this one?). And every single R, and 1/3 of the D's, voted against it. 

I think we're already seeing the NRA trying to walk back this one. "Well, we weren't actually talking about allowing legislation on this issue. We were talking about maybe allowing somebody to 're-interpret' existing laws. (That way, we can 'un-interpret' it, later, to neuter or eliminate it, without actually having a vote or anything)"

I'll believe that THIS time, some minor thing will actually be done, when it's actually done. 

• Like 1

The whole bump stock debate is irrelevant, you can't unring that bell. A lot of potential nuts that might have been relatively unaware what they are got a lesson in them, and specs/diagrams/instructions are readily available. Along with 3D printing, the ability to produce your own is out there now.

The actual technical aspects of these mods, banned/unbanned/whatever, have no bearing on the underlying fears and psychological motives to own and use these weapons.

• Like 1

I have a bump stock for my Bushmaster 223.. and it’s freaking amazing. I got it 2 years ago and loved it. Only problem is that its freaking expensive to shoot... I would usually try to get a big lot of ammo to keep costs low but even so it runs about $6-10 per mag. And with the bumpstock.. well, it goes quick. 

Takes a few minutes to get the hang of it but once you are able to adjust... it works well. Fun as hell to shoot. Don’t get to use it much anymore, I have allot of nerve damage from an auto immune thing so I can’t hold anything over 1lb for very long... but I tell ya, it’s addicting.

My brother is in federal law enforcement and we were able to use his full auto MP-5 in the past... Even a non-gun enthusiast would catch the fever after shooting at full auto. It’s crazy the power and ease of use.. the 9mm we used has virtually no kick and you pretty much can master using it within a few magazines. 

def glad I got the bump before they are banned, as they probably should be.... don’t think it’ll make much of a difference. I’ve seen well trained vets pop off semi autos at amazing speed rivaling full. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Interesting article in the NY Times as a follow up to the latest mass shooting in Texas. It makes a lot of sense to me and has messages for both sides of this debate.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/06/opinion/how-to-reduce-shootings.html

lol, was just about to post that.

"But there is one quirk that consistently puzzles America’s fans and critics alike. Why, they ask, does it experience so many mass shootings?

Perhaps, some speculate, it is because American society is unusually violent. Or its racial divisions have frayed the bonds of society. Or its citizens lack proper mental care under a health care system that draws frequent derision abroad.

These explanations share one thing in common: Though seemingly sensible, all have been debunked by research on shootings elsewhere in the world. Instead, an ever-growing body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion.

The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns."

When I hear people say "guns don't kill people, people kill people" I shake my head because the truth is guns give people the LEVERAGE to kill people more easily and with greater volume. One of the biggest challenges human face as a society is being able to keep our emotional and mental development at a pace with the developments of technology that give us the leverage to do even greater damage to ourselves if we make bad choices. And we are failing that challenge.

• Like 1