Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

12 hours ago, Larry said:

80% of NRA members support closing the "gun show loophole". 

Would it it make much difference?  IMO, probably not. But right now, even common sense measures that are approved of by the majority of the NRA are non-negotiable. 

Well that brings me back to the #1 from that post.

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Did you miss the part where he said he has been a customer of the business and purchased three guns from them before and apparently has another on lay-away?  And the owner didn't even acknowledge that nor recall?  Asked the one other employee who knew he was a regular customer and he just kept silent.  

No, heard that pretty well.

Multiple purchases are a sign of someone reselling them isn't it?

and of mass shooters (but since he is black that doesn't apply I guess)

1 minute ago, twa said:

Why must you always be wrong?

Maybe the guy is a collector?  You know damn well if it was a white guy the gun would've been sold, no problem.

26 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Why must you always be wrong?

Maybe the guy is a collector?  You know damn well if it was a white guy the gun would've been sold, no problem.

Maybe he is a collector.

And since he had bought guns there before maybe they wouldn't.....so no, I don't know damn well.

38 minutes ago, twa said:

Multiple purchases doesn't necessarily mean a sign of someone reselling them.  Are we talking purchasing three firearms over the past year?  Two years?  Six months?  Three months?  Few weeks?  

I know plenty of gun collectors/nuts/hunters that have purchased multiple firearms in a short period of time.  With no issues.  No questions if they are reselling them or not.  They had no issues selling him three firearms in the first place and I imagine no legit reason to suspect him of reselling them.  

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Multiple purchases doesn't necessarily mean a sign of someone reselling them.  Are we talking purchasing three firearms over the past year?  Two years?  Six months?  Three months?  Few weeks?  

I know plenty of gun collectors/nuts/hunters that have purchased multiple firearms in a short period of time.  With no issues.  No questions if they are reselling them or not.  They had no issues selling him three firearms in the first place and I imagine no legit reason to suspect him of reselling them.  

He wasn't kind enough to include those details in the video, but it is certainly a sign.

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So he can't be a gun collector with never reselling any of the firearms he purchased there previously?  

Certainly he can be.

And the sales guy can be both innocent of racial discrimination and right.

Gun dealers are afforded personal discretion.

The thing is if this guy was allowed to buy and then went on a shooting spree, everyone here would be screaming about why he was allowed to buy so many in a short time.  Could this gun dealer be not racist but instead cautious?  Yes.  Could he be a racist jerk and just not selling for that reason?  Absolutely.  WE really can't know without knowing more about him as a person and if he has made similar decisions with people of other colors in the past.  The sad thing is if it is determined he has done the same thing in the past to white people, by that time the story will be old news and the damage will be done.  But lets not let that stop us from our righteous outrage in the moment.  Who needs all the details????  pffff....... 

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The thing is if this guy was allowed to buy and then went on a shooting spree, everyone here would be screaming about why he was allowed to buy so many in a short time.  Could this gun dealer be not racist but instead cautious?  Yes.  Could he be a racist jerk and just not selling for that reason?  Absolutely.  WE really can't know without knowing more about him as a person and if he has made similar decisions with people of other colors in the past.  The sad thing is if it is determined he has done the same thing in the past to white people, by that time the story will be old news and the damage will be done.  But lets not let that stop us from our righteous outrage in the moment.  Who needs all the details????  pffff....... 

Reading the description of the video (on one of the websites it was posted on) it says that as soon as the guy walked in he was told by the owner that he would not sell him a firearm because he suspected him of reselling it on the street.  And then the man turned on his cell phone and started recording asking him to repeat what he said and he wouldn't, only that he was not selling him a gun and didn't have to have any reason why and went straight to call the police.

Sure, we don't know the exact dates he purchased other firearms from the store or how long between.  This is my interpretation of what he said, but it sounded to me that he was stating that he has been a regular customer and purchased firearms there before in the past with no issues.  He didn't give any indication that he had purchased multiple firearms in a short span (nor did it give any indication that he didn't).

Again, imo, the employee (owner?) acted like he never had seen him before and was turning down a sale based on stereotyping.  

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is saying the dealer necessarily did anything illegal, but he made a judgment call and time will tell if it impacts his business in the long run. American ideals at work. The man who got turned away said that he will be responding with his wallet and others will do the same in response to the video. 

Personally, if I was in the market for a firearm, I wouldn't consider purchasing it from there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Personally, if I was in the market for a firearm, I wouldn't consider purchasing it from there. 

Why?  Again, we don't know.  Now would I bet on it being that the dealer had a legit concern?  No.  But it really is just a lot of assumptions being thrown around.  

Again, if he had sold him another gun and he went on to do a mass shooting, we would all be screaming about why this guy sold him so many guns over a short period of time (though as @Dont Taze Me Bro pointed out, we don't know what the time frame was.  Another fact that would be useful.)

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I don't think anyone is saying the dealer necessarily did anything illegal, but he made a judgment call and time will tell if it impacts his business in the long run. American ideals at work. The man who got turned away said that he will be responding with his wallet and others will do the same in response to the video. 

Exactly, if the owner had simply said something along the lines of "I appreciate your business, but I'm not comfortable with selling so many weapons in such a short span of time" this would not be a major issue. Instead the guy decides to act like a complete ass with his "nope, I ain't sellin to ya stance. Of course people are going to be pissed in this scenario!

And if I'm the gun store employee/owner refusing sale and someone starts recording me on their cell phone, I'm not only going to let him record me telling him why I refused sales, I'm pulling out my cell phone and recording it too so there is a full version recorded in case the customer tries to put an edited version out there to make me look bad and not tell the whole truth.  

If he wasn't stereotyping and had real reason to believe that he was reselling illegally, then I'd say just that to his phone and my phone, for example, "The reason I am refusing selling a firearm to you is because you have purchased an AR15, Remington pump action shotgun and a Glock 9mm, all within the last three weeks.  With everything going on in the country, mass shootings, reselling to the wrong people, etc., I am not taking a risk selling another firearm to you at this time.  Please leave the establishment unless you have other shopping to do that does not involve the sale of ammunition or firearms."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why?  Again, we don't know.  Now would I bet on it being that the dealer had a legit concern?  No.  But it really is just a lot of assumptions being thrown around.  

Again, if he had sold him another gun and he went on to do a mass shooting, we would all be screaming about why this guy sold him so many guns over a short period of time (though as @Dont Taze Me Bro pointed out, we don't know what the time frame was.  Another fact that would be useful.)

I don't like the way the dealer handled the situation as depicted on the video. He acted as if the customer was not worth the extra 30 seconds to offer a thorough explanation, lending further credence to the racial profiling angle that the customer leaned into. 

Now, perhaps he did offer that explanation and the video simply didn't capture it. Me, I'm wondering why he didn't feel the need to capture it for the record if he had a reasonable excuse for what was taking place. "I don't owe you an explanation," doesn't fly with me as an outsider looking in on this situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Maybe I am just hesitant of short video clips of longer conversations.

In general, I think that's fair as creative editing can be a real danger esp. if the person making the video is trying to make a point. We shouldn't turn a blind eye to the info in the video though, but just watch it with an open mind that it might only tell a part of the story.

Or put shorter, I can support skepticism, but I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't like the way the dealer handled the situation as depicted on the video. He acted as if the customer was not worth the extra 30 seconds to offer a thorough explanation, lending further credence to the racial profiling angle that the customer leaned into. 

Now, perhaps he did offer that explanation and the video simply didn't capture it. Me, I'm wondering why he didn't feel the need to capture it for the record if he had a reasonable excuse for what was taking place. "I don't owe you an explanation," doesn't fly with me as an outsider looking in on this situation.

If you have made the determination you should not sell him a gun then the customer is not worth the time and you want them off the property.

They are not a customer at that point, nor is it negotiable.

On 11/7/2017 at 3:46 PM, visionary said:

Not 100% certain for this, but the Lautenberg Amendment might have a lot to do with this as if you are in the military and convicted of domestic violence then you cannot touch a gun. With the deployments and PTSD, it may cause a readiness problem for the military.