Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

So I get it... instead of forming an independent thought, GOP members would just rather puppet the NRA line.  So we have to wait for the NRA to think about meaningless feel good legislation. 

Again, German style gun control.  It may not prevent these things entirely, but it will extend the time frame,delay and open up a window for people to clue in on what is going on.  

1 hour ago, twa said:

Slippery slope  since many other things considered rights today were not recognized by the court years ago.

You have a point in the abstract.  Not a "slippery slope" point, but you are correct that constitutional rights do get refined and reinterpreted in the light of modern circumstances.

However, in this case, it cuts the other way.  Gun advocates claim that the Founders intended there to be no restrictions on the individual's right to own guns, and further claim that this has been the recognized interpretation of the Second Amendment since the founding of the country.  Neither of these things is true.  

IF your argument is that there can be no restrictions on gun ownership  by individuals in modern times because it is necessary to ensure that we have effective militias, the argument would be more logical.  But that would be a loser, substance wise.  

Heard a bit ago on MSNBC some LE guy say that there should be more SWAT units in cities for a more rapid response to things like mass shootings.

My opinion: no. These units will not just sit around waiting for a mass shooting to occur. Increased police power and presence will be used against citizens in other ways. Plus this is expensive. 

I think we need more legislation about who and how we get can buy guns. I am not talking about a Federal gun registration. 

I am talking about FFL transfers at gun shows and any private sale. I am sure I can think of more. Oh, restore the database that Congress and Trump repealed this year.

I don't own a gun, but the argument I have seen for a silencer is not wanting to wear hearing protection in home defense.

Basically choosing between deafening yourself when you shoot or while you are looking for the intruder by wearing hearing protection.

I don't know if I really buy that as being sufficient, but thought I'd bring the other side of that since people were saying 'no reason'.

1 hour ago, Weganator said:

I don't own a gun, but the argument I have seen for a silencer is not wanting to wear hearing protection in home defense.

Basically choosing between deafening yourself when you shoot or while you are looking for the intruder by wearing hearing protection.

I don't know if I really buy that as being sufficient, but thought I'd bring the other side of that since people were saying 'no reason'.

I've heard that one before too and it doesn't really pass the smell test with me. I've never fired a pistol with a suppressor but I've held one. It makes it heavier, longer, and more unwieldy because of how it messes up the weight balance. It would make it much harder to maneuver and shoot accurately in a close quarters, highly tense situation like a home defense scenario.

The bottom line is that some people just think they're "cool" because they see the guys in the movies use them and they want a toy to play with and show off to their friends and to look cool at the gun range.

• Like 3

I'm sorry but there is NO reason anyone other than law enforcement or the military should have automatic weapons at there disposal.  

None at all!

It's one thing to have a weapon for hunting or protection, but to have that many weapons and access to explosives is crazy. 

I believe in the 2nd amendment, but not if it means constantly losing innocent life.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

I'm sorry but there is NO reason anyone other than law enforcement or the military should have automatic weapons at there disposal.  

None at all!

It's one thing to have a weapon for hunting or protection, but to have that many weapons and access to explosives is crazy. 

I believe in the 2nd amendment, but not if it means constantly losing innocent life.  

I'll give it a 95% chance he didn't have an automatic weapon because of the inconsistent rate of fire if you've listened to the shots in the video. It was a rifle with a bump stock system. Which I HATE. Its just a loophole around not being able to own a fully auto rifle. It really does basically allow you to turn you AR or AK into a full auto for about $200. Honestly, this just makes it so much worse than if he somehow had gotten access to automatic weapons because of how easy and cheap and legal it is to get a bump fire system.

The vid below is a semi-auto AR with a bump stock. It turns even crappy shooters (like these guys are....look at their stances) into potential machine gun wielders who could mow down a dozen people in the blink of an eye. If it comes out that that's what this guy used you can damn well bet that other potential mass shooters will go "ahh haaaa......hmmmmm".

Edited by mistertim
  • Sad 2

God these guys are such pieces of ****. The GOP ALWAYS comes out after these mass shootings and talks about mental health and how that's the big issue and how we need more mental health care, yadda yadda. Then they just keep trying to cut more and more services and give people less and less healthcare. It's basically just a way for them to sound like they're doing something without having to do anything. And actually doing the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Weganator said:

Silly argument.  Guns are loud, especially indoors.  But they aren't that loud.  Not like you'd go deaf or sufferany permanent hearing loss.  Ears may ring for a few minutes if you're not used to being around gunfire.

Also, to use that excuse for something that MIGHT happen....maybe once in your lifetime?  Weak.  And if you're using a pistol for home defense, you're doing it wrong.  That's why god created Remington.  :)

Edited by Chew

You know, so you can destroy the tanks and fighter planes and gunship helicopters that the army has when the government decides to be tyrannical and you need to overthrow it.

Course, the laws they pass can't be shot, can they?

****ing asinine arguments people make.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

Paul Ryan is such a hooker 

And these Idiot republican voters piss me off more than I can describe without a ban. I cant believe they are dumb enough to trust people who are trying to **** them in literally every orifice. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw LV guy had 23 guns in his hotel room.

I don't want hotels to become like courthouses, with metal detectors and security guards, but simultaneously, it'd be nice if we had a mechanism to at least ask someone WHY they have 23 guns with them.

Not sure how to do that, but 23 stuffed in a room seems a little off.

• Like 2