Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Burgold

Really? I'm so glad you clarified.

Because in a parallel universe, it would be an interesting hypothetical to see how alternatives play out. What if Germany won WWII? What if the South had won the Civil War?

Would I pull Griffin? Of course not. Am I free to imagine what Cousins could have done?

I also wondered how much that missed extra point affected momentum, but I didn't want to push it and offend the thought police.

I'd explore the alternate universe where you didn't get your panties in a twist over a post on a message board. :)

And yes, your "wondering" is comparing how two players would do.  Unless they did exactly evenly in every respect, then there would be a controversy.  You use too many multi-syllabic words to not know that, man.

Sarcasm, Groucho. Sarcasm. Know it wasn't big in the silent era but I thought you'd pick up on it.

Sorry, I totally missed it. I forgot it wasn't you I had responded to before and I thought you were suggesting he had turned to go after the ball (or something? I didn't really know what you were saying). So that's on me.'

And if there's a patron saint of sarcasm, it's Groucho Marx.

Good: the defense. I'll give them one broken play. They kept the game a one score game until the very end, got a timely turnovet, and gave up 10 points. Basically, they did exactly what I hoped they would.

Punt and kickoff returns. Roberts is going to really help, the blocking was mostly good. Very happy with the improvement here. As a side note, I think the kickoff and punt coverage units were ok also. They didn't give up any long returns. Also an improvement.

Morris and the running game. Texans have a tough front 7, and they did a good job running the ball.

Griffin (2nd half). Thought he actually played pretty well in the second half. High completion percentage, stood tall in them pocket a number of times. Wasn't perfect, but made some really good passes while under constant duress.

The bad: play calling sequence to start the game. I think I hated all of the first 10 plays or so. Just didn't like almost any of it. Didn't help anybody get in rhythm and wasted a timeout.

Pass protection. Was terrible all day. They had no answer for Watt. Chester and Polumbus had really tough days. They've got to get this worked out. How they let Polumbus 1-1 with Watt ever is a failure of coaching.

The ugly: turnovers. Ridiculous and it can't happen. The Niles Paul fumble was awful. Wasn't that hard a tackle. Inexcusable. The Griffin/Morris exchange thing is on Griffin. And both he and coach said so in the post game pressers. But if Kory hadn't been pushed back immediately wouldn't have mattered. But Griffin can't do that.

Blocked EP and punt. Helu took responsibility for one if them. But it just can't happen. That is ridiculous. They spent so much time overhauling the ST and they fixed the hard parts (coverage and return) and they blow the easy part (blocking). Just another area where the texans DL dominated out OL. Pathetic

The "I don't get it": 2 things

1) when they attempt a boot, they always leave a backside guy unvlocked, who inevitably blows up the play. Don't understand it. Saw a lot of boots today and they all seem to be blocked better.

2) for some reason, they didn't even try to use Griffins legs as a weapon. No read option, no designed runs, nothing to give the texans one more thing to worry about. I'd like to know why. Personally, I think it's because Griffin doesn't want to do it. More Griffins father has convinced him he doesn't need to do it. Or something. Because it's inexplicable. I thought they should have shown a run early just to give the texans something else to worry about. If you remove his athletic ability, Griffin goes from a potential all time great to a possible very good QB. They drafted a duel threat guy who doesn't seen to want to be that.

Because he belongs there. His play absolutely didn't lose us the game. He made mistakes sure but he looked better today than at any time last year.

Unfortuntely the QB's job isn't to just keep from losing us the game. You could say thats the punters job but not the QB. A QB actually has to help WIN the game. Ours put up some stats dinking and dunking which apparently was the majority of the gameplan but when on the handful of non dink and dunk plays you are still sacked or throw the ball out of bounds on 3/4ths of them then how is that good?

I'd say he played OK considering he didnt fumble at all and didn't throw any Int's but in no way do I see him managing to complete 25+ dinks and like 2-3 of 10 mid to deep plays while getting sacked on most of the others a good game.

Unfortuntely the QB's job isn't to just keep from losing us the game. You could say thats the punters job but not the QB. A QB actually has to help WIN the game. Ours put up some stats dinking and dunking which apparently was the majority of the gameplan but when on the handful of non dink and dunk plays you are still sacked or throw the ball out of bounds on 3/4ths of them then how is that good?

I'd say he played OK considering he didnt fumble at all and didn't throw any Int's but in no way do I see him managing to complete 25+ dinks and like 2-3 of 10 mid to deep plays while getting sacked on most of the others a good game.

Well, he DID get them into scoring position three times.  Niles Paul was on his way to a touchdown before trying to show up Desean Jackson by dropping the ball a couple of yards before the goal line.

That's fine, no need to keep going back and forth about it.

Disagree about Kaep. He had that pocket today because the Niners have a very good OL who can hold blocks and give their QB time to throw the ball. They have been a really good unit for some time now.

Exactly!!  

According to Chris Russell on the postgame show, a lot of ppl in the FO (last year at least) think he is soft. 

Who knows? At this point though, TE is another position of need imo

On the radio Cooley said as much. Somthing alonf the lines of Reed one time leaving a game due to what was essentially a bruise.  I'd say that's pretty soft.

Not on the safety blitzes did he actually take the sack, but i counted at least 3 times where he got himself either into pressure or took a sack when he could see the pressure coming right at him, all because he doesn't have a good feel yet for how to move up or back in the pocket.  When he moves back he stumbles almost every single time, his decision making simply isn't fast enough about 50% of the time.  I'm not saying this can't improve but I am saying this is bigger than simply saying our OL sucks.

Also Jordan Reed, if he gets healthy and has a decent year we should think about trading him and moving on - I know, I know it's reactionary, but the dude is made of glass and has terrible instincts....what was the point of leaving your feet on that play? 

Yeah I just don't think he trust his oline.  Typically our pressure usually comes up the middle with our weak interior so I think him moving backward is just reactionary muscle memory.  It definitely is a negative on his part though, but you have to realize he doesn't often get lanes to run in or even step into.  

I didn't see any broken blitzes or anything just guys getting beat, that is why I said I don't think the protection schemes were bad.  Our oline usually let a few guys get in, thats when you see the sacks come.  I just think that is from poor blocking.

Rg3 definitely needs to get a better feel for the pocket more consistently though when there is one.  I just think we are nitpicking too much on his play because we are ultimately losing games.  

This one is on coaching to me more than anything.  Gruden seemed overwhelmed and even called the Houston, Cleveland after the game.

not sure about the bad passes part. if anything, he threw very accurately, imo. he just didnt complete any long balls. and i wouldnt put this L on him more than anyone else. whoever was lining up on watt any given play would be #1 cuz that dude was all over the place, especially in the backfield. 

thats not to say i'm happy with where griffin is- he got caught too many times where i thought he could have made a guy miss. and i want to see more plays made on those scrambles. 

but, new system, coming off an year he played hurt, i wasnt mad. 

im going to give him a few more games before making any proclamations. 

Agree with this in large part, but one of the things that stands out to me about Griffin is this...........he just doesn't seem to know how to take a hit.  When he's tackled, much more often than not he get obliterated.  Why?  So many QB's and skill position players have that innate ability to turn or twist or step up and not take the full force of an oncoming tackle.  RG3's lack of awareness, or lack of ability to be elusive enough to not take a pounding, especially with his athleticism, is staggering.

Am I on an island here or do others see this as well?

I'm not an RG3 hater.  I want to love the guy and want more for him to have success, but he's not going to last long enough to develop into the player he has the natural talent to become.  Just frustrating.....

The fumbles are on Morris and Paul 

No way that fumble was on Morris.  Robert tripped coming out of the snap- for no apparent reason as far as I could tell.  He then tried to hand it to Morris as he was falling, leading to the fumble.  The Paul fumble was just stupid, gotta hold on tight to the ball, especially thinking someone might be coming from behind trying to strip it.

Archived