Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Burgold

One thing that jumped out at me was the difference in decisiveness between Morris and DJax when they have the ball.  Morris doesn't wait around to be caught from behind.  He sees the whole and he hits it.  Jackson, on that early pass where he caught and started to dance around waiting for a hole to develop, he missed the 1st down by a couple of yards because he didn't immediately lower his shoulder and take off up field.  Maybe it's a WR v. RB thing, I don't remember Monk and Clark doing the Charleston when they caught the ball.

Good:

- Real Redskins games are back. RG gave everyone what they have cried for, to stay in the pocket. Although it's going to get him killed.

Bad:

- Offensive game plan - was there a game plan. Seems to everyone who watched, nothing changed from what they put out during the pre season.

- The mental mistakes in all areas of the game. Same type of mistakes they have made from years past continue to haunt us.  Sorta look like the Wizards in the 4th quarter - trying to find a way to give the game away when you are much better than your opponent.

Ugly:

- Offensive Line - If it isn't upgrade soon, the RG haters won't have to call for a change, he will be replaced due to injury. Chester, Polumbus and Licht cant hold up against the weakest of NFL DLs. If the OL could just play at a passable level, the entire offense's play would elevate.

It's not uncommon for even the great QBs to have poor games when their OL is being completely blown up and they have guys in their face all game. Sure, you can negate some of that by quick throws (which we did today...but of course people **** about THAT as well) but eventually you're going to have to mix it up and you can't do that well if you can't get more than 2 seconds to let a bigger play develop. GB's OL was getting punished on Thursday night...not as bad as ours today, but pretty bad...and Rodgers had a very pedestrian outing at best. We've seen the same thing happen to Brady and Manning as well. 

If you're calling Griffin a great QB, I would have to respectfully say that that is a delusional opinion to say the least. If you're not, then disregard and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Good - I don't really see the point of trying to list good things when this team continually sucks

Bad - They just lost to a team that has Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starting QB. He is so bad the Bills cut him. Turnovers: I know Morris ran well, but he looked relieved after the review that his near fumble close to the goal-line wasn't another turnover.

Ugly - Front office and head coach. Front office: It's bizarre that we as fans have known for years and years that the O-line has been bad and this team just won't spend money on that part of the team. Maybe there wasn't an O-line player out there worth the Desean Jackson money, but that signing was a luxury when this team has plenty of other questionable areas.

Head Coach: At some point, you have to give help on JJ Watt no matter where he lines up. I'll give Gruden time to make a few adjustments, but the offense didn't look inventive or explosive considering all the weapons.

I agree w/most everyone else's good bad & ugly... I wish they would've feed Alfred the ball more.. He was getting nice chunks on a regular.. RG had some beautiful passes... Hitting folks in stride etc etc...the defense looked good for the most part

Bad...That O line is going to be the death of me & the play calling...if the run works ride it until it doesn't work.

Ugly...special teams although the returns were better..

GOOD:

o running game Morris and Helu

o Defense as a whole but the newcomers stepped up Hatcher, Keenan, Clark

o Andre Roberts both as a receiver and special teams

o TEs Logan setting the edge in the running game, Paul looking like a viable TE option

BAD:

o Getting away from the running game

o 1st half passing game gameplan

o Offense didn't look sharp

o Not pressing the Texan's receivers at the line

o Didn't handle the blitz pick-ups well

o OL scheme didn't seem to focus enough attention on Watt, I understand that Watt will make his plays but I would rather them not come against 1-1 vs Tyler or 3rd and long nor on a double team from Polumbus and a RB that's how you block an OLB not JJ Watt

o Why doesn't the FB chip the OLB on our bootlegs?

o Intentional Grounding-Griff could have stepped up/ran up the middle of the pocket instead of trying to break contain outside and around the pressure

UGLY:

o Blocked FG

o Blocked Punt (-Helu)

o 3rd and 8 (3rd series) Helu whiffed on Swearinger blitz

o 3rd and 1 (1st series) Chester gets blown up by Watt for

o Rambo beat on coverage by Hopkins then missed tackle for TD

o Paul fumble after long catch and run

o Bothced handoff exchange

o I questioned Jay's approach to preseason. It seemed that he was using it more for evaluation and not showing much instead of getting the 1st unit in rhythm. Imo the slow start supports his preseason approach was a mistake.

Good: that debacle of a game is over.

Bad: the fact that the players don't give enough effort.  Lazy play, lots of mental mistakes - the same lack of effort we've seen for the last 20 years, basically.

Ugly: the special teams unit is still the laughingstock of the NFL. 

So glad I didn't sign up for the NFL cable package this year...

If you're calling Griffin a great QB, I would have to respectfully say that that is a delusional opinion to say the least. If you're not, then disregard and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Reading comprehension is your friend. So is paying attention to what people are saying as opposed to just looking for a way to open your mouth about what you already want to talk about.

The post I was responding to along with my own should have made it quite clear that I was talking about QB's around the league that are widely considered to be "elite" but who also have poor games when their OL is getting completely abused (hence the reason I referenced the Green Bay game with that Aaron Rodgers guy).

RG3 is not at the point where he is making any sort of protection reads and it is killing him.  Yes we definitely have a below average right side of the OL going up against a great DL.....but more than once RG missed the safety walking to the line and missed didn't account for him having a free release.   It's embarrassing how bad his pocket awareness is at this point. 

I agree. I was at the game and I had endzone seats. When the Skins had the ball going the other way I had perfect veiw of the field  and play developement and I could see open receivers when Griff had time to find but didnt. 

Reading comprehension is your friend. So is paying attention to what people are saying as opposed to just looking for a way to open your mouth about what you already want to talk about.

The post I was responding to along with my own should have made it quite clear that I was talking about QB's around the league that are widely considered to be "elite" but who also have poor games when their OL is getting completely abused (hence the reason I referenced the Green Bay game with that Aaron Rodgers guy).

Wasn't at all looking for a reason to talk about anything other than what I said. I suppose I'm guilty of not reading your comments to their fullest and I apologize for that. Again, enjoy the rest of your evening.

Wasn't at all looking for a reason to talk about anything other than what I said. I suppose I'm guilty of not reading your comments to their fullest and I apologize for that. Again, enjoy the rest of your evening.

Fair enough. Apologies if I came off as too snarky there. Been a long and frustrating day. Shouldn't be taking it out on others here.

Good: The defense stepped it up today against the Texans holding them only to ten points.  Roberts played well in the return game.  Morris had a big day offensively.  RG III did not play that bad. 

Bad:  The offensive line had no answer for Watt and Clowney (first half) constant pressure.  Getting away from the run when it was working 

Ugly: The special teams played horrible giving up a blocked punt, and blocked extra point.  Fumbling twice in the red zone.

This was our game for the taking you cannot fumble in the Redzone twice and have a blocked punt for a TD and  win

the defense and special teams were good until we took the 6-0 lead....then they both collapsed.

Not impressed with Gruden's play calling and how he handled the end of the 1st half.

We need Robert to be a run threat

i dont know if the D collapsed- they gave up a long TD and a late FG. 

agree with the play calling being suspect and robert being a run threat. 

i wanted them to run him once just to loosen up the pass rush. i cant believe they didnt do it once. 

Besides the fumble (and I'm not minimizing that, it pretty much negate all the good), Paul looked like what I was hoping he would  be as a TE today.

It looked like the bad Deangelo returned today.

The ugly is that stupid, moronic, rollout to the side of an unblocked edge rusher play Gruden keeps calling. It called it a bunch in the preseason and every time the rusher blew the play up, and it puts Griffin in peril. So naturally we ran it several more times today. Forgive the hyperbole, but I have a hard time thinking a coach is at all competent if he keeps seeing that play blow up in our faces and  responds with "I want to see some more of that".

Fair enough. Apologies if I came off as too snarky there. Been a long and frustrating day. Shouldn't be taking it out on others here.

Nah, not at all. Sunday nights in the fall & early winter isn't the best time to catch us Skins fans in our best of moods...at least for the most part of the past 22 years.

Looking at the SF game,  you can clearly see what a competent OLINE looks like (SF).  They form an actual pocket,  they keep the defenders at bay and form a wall.   The QB can make his reads without someone constantly in their face....there is a good 3-4 yard cushion between the pocket created OLINE and the QB.   Wow. 

I'm glad someone else other than me is pointing this out!  Jesus!!!  If a QB does not have sufficient time in the pocket which will require a "wall of protection" then he will not be good.  At this point and time we do not have starting (other than Trent) O/L capable of establishing  a clean pocket.

Repeat 100 times....We Do Not Have An Offensive Line Capable Of Establishing A Clean Pocket For The QB

HTTR!

I think we should look at the All-22 before we throw either player under the bus. It's possible it wasn't a great throw but its also possible that he just threw it to where Roberts was. Or it could be a combination of both. 

Clearly I am not. Look at his last 5 starts. Offense scored 55 points between all of them. I think in time like I said, those excusing his poor play will come around.

I guess the only "good" thing, is that the Skins could of won, maybe. I got excited with the forced fumble in the 3rd, only because it was required to give me only a sliver of hope that the Skins would would make it a game. Other than that, it was a complete disappointment. The whole game was really difficult to watch and there is nothing to suggest that I'll be cheerng for anything more than sub-mediocre tripe for the remainder of the season.

after we took a 6-0 lead midway midway through the 2nd quarter, the Texans only had 4 possesions.

1) scored a TD

2) started the possesion inside the 10, but let them get out to the 40...field position was flipped

3) Started possesion inside the 10 and let the Texans drive 80 yards and take 6 minuntes off the clock..even though they forced the fumble, field position totally flipped and time taken off the clock

4) another long drive that ended the game with a FG.

Defensive was sub par from the midway 2nd quarter mark

Archived