Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Burgold

Good: Defense, most especially K. Robinson (played very fast and appeared to be a sure tackler). Alfred Morris was the younger version of Beast-mode and was awesome.

Bad: special teams blocking...

Ugly: what will happen if the special teams blocking fails to improve.

The Good

RBs
DL
Defense... except for that one deep play where we had Rak in tight man, worth a laugh. 

RG3 outside the pocket. slid,throwaways, surprise completions as he ran out of bounds. 

The Bad

Timeout when Kory wouldnt snap. Called time, and then he snapped it. 
Fumbled exchange when we tried to go hurryup / scrap hurry up after that. 
Kory Blown Up steps on Roberts Foot / fumble
Screwed on Review 
Blocked Punt / Blocked XP! / Young Tackling Roberts
DJ and Aldrick stuck behind the LOS. Um let them run deep. 

Tyler vs Watt but no one expected anything but bad... except maybe Gruden. 

The Mehgly 

The fumbles. But they happen to all teams. We need to play to score more points to prepare for it. 

Grudens largely unimaginable game plan. Hanging Tyler out to dry / RG3 in the pocket too much. 

Haslett was generally too passive for my liking, but did enough to win. 

Chester! 

Good:  Keenan Robinson is such a beast in the making.

Bad:  Rambo and Polumbus should not be playing on NFL rosters.

Ugly:  Helu is the goat of the game for that special teams whiff.  Paul is a close 2nd.

Not sure which Rambo you were watching.  He didn't do a bad job, just got beat in single coverage.

I said "wondered." Wondered. As in, I wished RG3 would have been more decisive.

Chill.

More decisive? He got the ball out QUICK. He had to and it was also clearly the gameplan (to the surprise of absolutely no one).

We have posters calling him captain check down and now posters saying he was holding it.

By the way I'd get used to the ball coming out quick - the Bengals had the quickest average time of release last season in the whole NFL if I recall correctly. Their passing game was based on pre snap read and get it out quick and some called shots - Dalton very rarely got off his first read.

The Good

RBs

DL

Defense... except for that one deep play where we had Rak in tight man, worth a laugh. 

RG3 outside the pocket. slid,throwaways, surprise completions as he ran out of bounds. 

The Bad

Timeout when Monty wouldnt snap. Called time, and then he snapped it. 

Monty Blown Up steps on Roberts Foot / fumble

Screwed on Review 

The Mehgly 

The fumbles. But they happen to all teams. We need to play to score more points to prepare for it. 

Grudens largely unimaginable game plan. Hanging Tyler out to dry / RG3 in the pocket too much. Lining up Aldrick in the backfield. 

Haslett was generally too passive for my liking, but did enough to win. 

Chester! 

Uhhh....Monty is gone. That's Lichtensteiger getting blown up in the middle of the OL

The main issue I had with this game was the coaching, give some help there with blocking or at least delaying Watts. I wasn't too thrilled with hiring Gruden in the first place. We NEED to get the plays in faster and line up, maybe that will help RG3 see the defense and call an audible or use some motion for misdirection. Haslett still sucks, face it ...he always has and always will...Houston isn't an offensive juggernaut.

Good: Running game - except for the fumblitis

Bad: Team discipline - fumbles, personal fouls

Ugly: This team's heart - it has none; O-line completely intimidated by Watt; Defense - afraid to tackle aggressively and swarm the ball.

*** I swear we need Greg Williams' Hit Stick back in the locker room!

Good:

Offensive skill players. We have legit depth at WR and Morris/Helu make a good 1-2 punch.

Defense as a whole, though Robinson and Kerrigan deserve special mention. Both were fantastic.

Bad:

Just about everything else.

Ugly:

Paul's fumble, more ST woes, whoever was at fault on that fumbled handoff.

He had 3 seconds or less all game and completed 78% of his passes.

How more decisive do you need him to be?

As long as the QB's O/L don't or can't sustain blocks to create a pocket we will continue with the struggle of opening up the offense with medium to long range passes.

I'll put it bluntly...the O/L needs to be called out by the headcoach. 

HTTR!

The Bad[/size]

Timeout when Monty wouldnt snap. Called time, and then he snapped it. 

Monty Blown Up steps on Roberts Foot / fumble

Screwed on Review 

Agreed but you know we got rid of Monty right man? Lichtensteiger is our center.

More decisive? He got the ball out QUICK. He had to and it was also clearly the gameplan (to the surprise of absolutely no one).

We have posters calling him captain check down and now posters saying he was holding it.

By the way I'd get used to the ball coming out quick - the Bengals had the quickest average time of release last season in the whole NFL if I recall correctly. Their passing game was based on pre snap read and get it out quick and some called shots - Dalton very rarely got off his first read.

I have no issues with the quick passing game other than the routes need to very. Everything was a hitch or a screen today. Slants and dig or in routes are also quick plays that can really set our receivers up for yac but we saw none of those today.

Good --- Alfred Morris continues to be a beast especially with gaining tough yards after initial contact. He is the only consistently effective weapon on the offense right now.

Keenan Robinson looks like he may develop into a leader on defense for years to come.

Andre Roberts had a couple nice punt returns and could make a nice addition in the passing game also.

Bad - Baccari Rambo in open space having no chance to make a crucial tackle.

The utter lack of downfield passing game. Cannot win in today's NFL by simply running the ball well mixed with screens and dump off passes all game.

For the most part RG III had success only in short throws. It's great to have a high completion percentage but those numbers are largely negated when most of the passes were low impact plays.

He failed to throw the ball away a few times most notably in the first half when he took a sack that took the team out of FG range.

UGLY - The continued failures of the Skins in the red zone. Two costly turnovers which prevented the Skins from turning the game around in their favor.

Even worse is the nature of the two red zone fumbles. RGIII was tripped yet tried to make an ill advised handoff to Morris instead of just going down and worrying about the next play. Gruden admitted in his presser that RG III should have just gone down instead of trying to make that play.

Niles Paul was hardly touched yet fumbled the ball which ended another drive. Winning teams value red zone possessions and especially this offensive challenged group cannot afford to give away scoring opportunities.

The pathetic special teams breakdowns. This team continues to pull off feats that are rarely seen in the NFL on special teams as it's not often a team gets an extra point and punt blocked in the same game.

Also the continued failure of Jordan Reed to stay healthy. Reed is such a talented player and vital weapon for RG III and this offense yet he simply can't stay on the field. He couldn't even make it through the 1st quarter of the 1st game this season before getting hurt AGAIN.

Gruden said in the presser that he is concerned about Reed's hamstring injury. Looks like it's quite possible this turns out to be another injury that causes Reed to miss multiple games. This offense which showed zero ability to pass downfield and scored only 6 points cannot afford to lose such a valuable weapon.

Sure hope Jordan Reed doesn't turn out to be an oft injured player whose ability can be game changing but he can't stay on the field long enough to realize that immense potential.

Good - Morris looked to be in mid-season form. RG3 in the second half moved the ball well. Defense was improved.

Bad - Gruden. He looked scared. His game plan was all over the place.

Ugly - Ben Kotwica. I had some doubts about his hire - today didn't help.

I have no issues with the quick passing game other than the routes need to very. Everything was a hitch or a screen today. Slants and dig or in routes are also quick plays that can really set our receivers up for yac but we saw none of those today.

I agree with this - we need to do a better job of getting the ball to receivers on the move. I can live without seeing Jackson lined up in the backfield as well on obvious passing downs, everyone in the stadium knows he is going to release and it's just an invitation to get your QB hit even if he gets the ball off.

I think it is a work in progress.. but the special teams are still special miscues and horrific mistakes the blocked point and PAT.... The defense I dont care if the opponents put up 10,000 yards, if the game is a 8 point game and Ryan Fitzpatrick can run and pick up a critical 3rd down on and prolong what was eventually I think and 11minute drive alive in the 4th Q it is a fail.

The ugly in my mind was the end of the first half down 8 at mid field it was worth one more play to try and at least get into field goal range was at the least a mistake ....

RGIII and the offense are going to be good at some point ... they are going to have to let RGIII run at some point because no one is buying RO.... the other good I have we saw Robert with his team mates and coaches  instead of looking dejected on his own on the sidelines ...

Good - RG3 was accurate. He could have gotten rid of the ball a few times, but he did pretty good out there while running for his life.

Morris and Helu were beastly. Morris had over 6 a touch and Helu had huge numbers as well.

Jackson and Garvin looked very good, despite not having a lot of YAC.

The defense looked good at times, but not many hurries though.

The bad and ugly - special teams, ball security and lack of run selection, despite the safeties sitting back and your backfield running at will.

Get good Team!!

Good: The defense really only allowing 10 points. Special teams early on were decent. Play calling early in the 3rd Q was

great.

Bad: Mistakes in the red zone by the QB and Receiver, play calling in Q1, Q4

Ugly: The Blocked put, O-line play on 3rd and long and the broken Rambo play that resulted in their only offensive TD. All in all about what I expected against this

Beast Texans front.

We will win next week. Count on it.

Archived