Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Burgold

Trying to figure out what this has to do with my post.

You quoted me

It was terrible. Another QB would have placed the Roberts sideline pass in front of him so he could have ran for day light. Instead he threw the ball behind and to the sideline where Roberts made a great catch but out of bounds.

With that comment about looking at all 22 guys not just one and I responded. If you don't understand me that's cool no problem. You seem to still be a believer in RG3 and I'm not anymore. One of us is going to be right and one of our opinions on him will be changed. Only time will tell which opinion is right. From what I have seen I am of the thinking we don't have a QB anymore. 3 Rushes for 2 Yards kills his value for us.

Kapernick had that pocket today because the Cowboys defense had to think about him rushing. We didn't and that's because Griffin didn't produce in the air or the ground today

You quoted me

It was terrible. Another QB would have placed the Roberts sideline pass in front of him so he could have ran for day light. Instead he threw the ball behind and to the sideline where Roberts made a great catch but out of bounds.

With that comment about looking at all 22 guys not just one and I responded. If you don't understand me that's cool no problem. You seem to still be a believer in RG3 and I'm not anymore. One of us is going to be right and one of our opinions on him will be changed. Only time will tell which opinion is right. From what I have seen I am of the thinking we don't have a QB anymore. 3 Rushes for 2 Yards kills his value for us.

Kapernick had that pocket today because the Cowboys defense had to think about him rushing. We didn't and that's because Griffin didn't produce in the air or the ground today

That's fine, no need to keep going back and forth about it.

Disagree about Kaep. He had that pocket today because the Niners have a very good OL who can hold blocks and give their QB time to throw the ball. They have been a really good unit for some time now.

Good... RGIII looked pretty accurate and was able to hit short, medium, and his down field throws were on target.  Wish he were able to give Roberts a little bit more room on that one downfield heave.  Still not sure he was out.  Also, the run game looked pretty good and Helu and Morris made an effective 1, 2 punch.  Defense was very strong in the first half.

Bad:  Line protection.  Seemed like every blitz got someone through. Stop definding a 3rd and two pass play with defenders eight yards off the receiver.  You're conceding it.  Punt returns were pretty good too.  Roberts had a nice couple of returns.

Ugly punt and kick protection.  Two in one game!!! Ugh!!!  Also obviously ball security.  Not sure what happen with the RGIII stumble lost handoff, but that can't happen.  Likewise, for Paul. Those four plays were the game.  Houston otherwise really only had one play which looked like a blown coverage too.

Fix a few handles and this ship can be wrighted.

Arrghh!!!

Bad:  RG III:  More of the same from last year, looks confused and jumpy in the pocket.  To many drop backs where he was sacked instead of either taking off or throwing the ball away.

Good:  Well, the kickoffs were in the end zone.

Ugly:  The rest of the offense.  Gruden certainly has some work to do and the problem with that is it should have been done in camp, not now after a really ugly loss.

Cheers

I disagree somewhat.  Not defending his ability to make protection reads but there wasn't one safety SACK all game.  He got rid of it regardless if the safety came free or not.  You can only block so many at the line of scrimmage.  The key is he didn't hold  on to the ball and allow the "free man" to sack him.  Our offensive line lost one on one battles today.

Would like to see Gruden have rg3 not stay in the same spot and create some half rolls every once in awhile, and get him out of the pistol and into a real shotgun.  This could buy him some time as his peripheral vision should be better in a shotgun (2 yards further back) compared to the pistol formation.

Not on the safety blitzes did he actually take the sack, but i counted at least 3 times where he got himself either into pressure or took a sack when he could see the pressure coming right at him, all because he doesn't have a good feel yet for how to move up or back in the pocket.  When he moves back he stumbles almost every single time, his decision making simply isn't fast enough about 50% of the time.  I'm not saying this can't improve but I am saying this is bigger than simply saying our OL sucks.

Also Jordan Reed, if he gets healthy and has a decent year we should think about trading him and moving on - I know, I know it's reactionary, but the dude is made of glass and has terrible instincts....what was the point of leaving your feet on that play? 

Good: The run game was excellent. The backs and the run blocking was solid. When your feature HB is avg 6+ yards a carry that is something to be positive about. Also we were in the game for all 4 Qtrs and had a chance to win even with our poor play. Defense played well for the first half but wore down in the 2nd half. Punter was solid, the block was not his fault.

Bad: The Oline simply horrible and could not keep Watt and Co out of the backfield on passing downs. This completely disrupted the passing game and exposed RGIIIs pocket presence issues. One of the 2 have to improve. RGIII has to get better in the pocket and the Oline has to protect better so we can use the weapons we have. Rambo sucks.... He was exposed yet again and the TD was on him.

Ugly: Redzone turnovers are unacceptable and cost us a win. The special teams are again a laughing stock. Why can't we get this right. No matter who our head coach is they still suck.

I'm glad a few of the more football savvy guys in here are sticking up for Rambo. I'd need some game tape to confirm but I think we only rushed 3 on that play, giving Fitzpatrick all day to throw. Pretty sure in a three man rush the plan is not for Rambo to be 1-on-1 with their #2 receiver. Yes, he should have made the tackle but he was racing to at least get there and overran the play but it's one I've seen from a lot of pretty good safeties in the league in the same situation trying to get back to a guy. Otherwise he had a decent game. He is probably still a below average starter at this point in his career but he made significant strides from last year and had a decent overall game. Don't target him and assume he sucks for one bad play due to last year like the league targets Meriweather. Forget about last year and watch how he plays now. Keep in mind he's #2 behind Meriweather/Clark and soon will be behind Ihenacho.

I think the most depressing thing is that even with everything today (special teams, abandoning the run game, etc) we would have won if we just held on to the ball. Morris fumbled too - he was down but we put the ball on the ground three times inside their 10 yard line today. We fumbled 4 times. If we hold on to the ball we win the game, likely by a touchdown.

38 planned passing plays to 20 designed runs. That is unacceptable. Jay was full of **** when he said we know the run game is our bread and butter and we'll establish that. We were absolutely tearing them apart in the run game. It's not like Helu and Morris had one or two long runs that exaggerated their numbers. They were ripping off 5+ yards every time they touched the ball. And it was a close game. This ratio should be flipped. It is and has been our recipe for success for many years. Have we ever won a game where RGIII throws the ball 30+ times? He should be throwing no more than 25 times a game. I hope people saw why Helu is our #2 today. He should get blasted for the punt block but with Morris, Helu and Redd there is no reason not to be running 35-40 times a game. That's our bread and butter.

Fumbles cost us the game but so did throwing the ball all day. At halftime we were averaging more yards per carry than pass attempt and that was with almost 15 completions. And we just. Kept. Passing.

Poor Jordan Reed, hurt on his first catch of the season.

Dude needs to start taking his midol pregame and not after he gets hit the first time IMO.

It's early but I'm hearing the announcers say several times "great protection for Manning".   I await the days when our QB is accorded the same thing!

HTTR!

Watch the game clock, Manning never has the ball in his hands after it ticks 2 times. Some kind of OL dude has, lol.

Rg3 looked like crap in my opinion, holds the ball too long. How the hell is Tyler Polumbus a starter. He's awful. Fumbles killed us. Same ****, different year. On the positive side the D did look good.

If we won 13-10 you including everybody else would be saying that he played efficient game and did really well as a game manager.

There's no way that throw can be called "behind" Roberts. Some complaints make an agenda seem pretty clear.

We were "sloppy" more than "bad."

Outside of the first three drives, we moved the ball decently, but kept failing as crucial moments.

Helu completely whiffed on the punt coverage giving Houston the TD, and I think he also gave up an easy sack IIRC.  And of course those two fumbles were game killers.  Even if you just get field goals from those, it's a nice swing, being down by 5 is MUCH better than being down by 11 on that last drive, and even 1 TD (and 1 FG) puts us within a field goal of victory.

Special teams didn't allow any huge returns that I remember, tackling "seems" better (it's week 1, so there's time for the floor to fall out from under us); our punt blocking crew is still bad.  The Defense did a decent job, they allowed 10 points, and we have to remember that later in the game they were on the field faster because we had the two fumbles.

Obviously, Houston isn't a premier offense, so a team like Denver could certainly expose us terribly, but they did well this week.

I don't like that we only had 23 carries from our Rbacks, we should pretty much ALWAYS rush at least 30 times, but hopefully someone will point to Morris' 6.5 yard average (maybe circle it with a red marker or something), and we'll add another 6 or 7 rushes to Morris' total next week.

Also, good thing, Griffin.

No, he wasn't flashy, but he was definitely adequate.  78% completion, 267 yards.  He threw short a lot, but what did we expect with Watt making our line look bad all day.  Griffin wasn't perfect, but he was efficient in the face of lots of pressure, and did way better than most commentators thought he would.  I think as the weeks go by, he'll get more comfortable, and hopefully TDs will improve.

I saw good things and I saw bad things this week.  Mostly, our problem this week is we had a slow start, and then when we started really rolling, we had 2 fumbles.  Hopefully the bad things (punt, fumbles) are flukes while we can build off the good things.

Good: Um, yeah, no.

Bad: The offensive line they should've addressed but didn't (two words: backup LB). The special teams they supposedly addressed. The defense letting the other team score when they needed a stop to stay in the game. The fact that we ran the ball really well but not nearly often enough, as usual. The fact that they still give RGIII no help by having him drop back so much. The fact that Jim Haslett can't call a defense at all but kept his job. The fact that Fitzpatrick, a subpar QB beat us.

Ugly: See above and add in the fact that the ownership and management of this team is a pathetic disgrace.

Oh, I know what people are gonna say. Chill out, it's just one game.

To that I say, no, its not one game, its 20 ****ing years of ****, including virtually every single year our current pathetic awful owner has owned this team.

I really don't think using Peyton as a comparison is all that fair to be honest. He is one of the best, if not the best, in NFL history at reading defenses/blitzes, making teams pay for them, and getting the ball out super fast. Almost any other QB looks inferior in that regard when compared to Omaha.

People run towards passes that are behind them all the time.

lawl

Besides the fumble (and I'm not minimizing that, it pretty much negate all the good), Paul looked like what I was hoping he would  be as a TE today.

It looked like the bad Deangelo returned today.

The ugly is that stupid, moronic, rollout to the side of an unblocked edge rusher play Gruden keeps calling. It called it a bunch in the preseason and every time the rusher blew the play up, and it puts Griffin in peril. So naturally we ran it several more times today. Forgive the hyperbole, but I have a hard time thinking a coach is at all competent if he keeps seeing that play blow up in our faces and  responds with "I want to see some more of that".

I don't know why they don't block the edge on that play? Same when Kyle was here anytime we ran boot against 34 front they wouldn't block the OLB and left Griffin to deal with the pressure.

Play never made sense to me unless they block the edge.

I don't know why they don't block the edge on that play? Same when Kyle was here anytime we ran boot against 34 front they wouldn't block the OLB and left Griffin to deal with the pressure.

Play never made sense to me unless they block the edge.

Even more irksome is the fact that the bloody play didn't work the first time, and they decided to do it again anyways. As if they were going to catch the Texans asleep or something. It's really frustrating to see how badly they're wasting RGIII's talent. Run the damn ball more and the pass will open up. It's fundamental football, yet they never seem to get it.

Why the hell was Logan Paulsen ever blocking Watt 1 on 1 BTW?

That's one of those plays where the OC outsmarts himself:

Let's put their best pass rusher on the TE, let him release then throw the ball behind him like a screen.

Sounds good in theory.

Practically it doesn't work.

I really don't think using Peyton as a comparison is all that fair to be honest. He is one of the best, if not the best, in NFL history at reading defenses/blitzes, making teams pay for them, and getting the ball out super fast. Almost any other QB looks inferior in that regard when compared to Omaha.

lawl

I liked your post simply because of the Omaha reference.

Well played, good sir, well played.

He was throwing on the run. Sorry the QB can't walk on water for you.

Archived