Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Burgold

The handoff didn't go into the numbers. RG3 put it on Morris's right arm. A handoff isn't a catch, they can't adjust if you miss the opening they make with their arms. Either you get it in there or it's going to be an immediate fumble. RG3 missed, for whatever reason you like, but Morris had no chance at holding on to it because the ball was never in his grasp,

Just going on my own recollection, so of course it may be flawed, but IIRC it went into and out of the opening Morris made. I'd like to see some pictures posted of it from someone who recorded the game.

Again, I may be wrong and if I am that's fine. Just going on what I remember seeing in the replay.

Good -   offense * RG3 was much more accurate than he looked last year.  It is just one game but it is promising.  He was sailing passes all year it seemed.  We looked better our first game this year than last!!  Alfred Morris continue to look like a stud.  Desean looks active.  Shawn Laovao looks better than I expected.  

defense * Keenan Robinson, Amerson, Clark all played well.  Tress Way appears to be pretty good.

Bad - Turnovers!  Jay Gruden's awareness and playcalling.  You have to dial up more plays that are aggressive.  Not attempting to score right behind halftime is baaad.  Roy Helu allowed a punt block and wasn't good at picking up blitzes.  I'm not going to blame no one on our oline this game...they are what they are going against the best defensive guy in the game.  This lies on coaching again.  Darrell Young should have been in more on 3rd downs instead of Helu to block.  Kedric Golston.

Not sure which Rambo you were watching.  He didn't do a bad job, just got beat in single coverage.

According to Keim, Rambo was actually playing it correctly, somebody else wasn't where they were supposed to be.  Now, that doesn't really have anything to do with the tackle attempt after the ball was caught, but that does kinda explain why he looked completely out of position to start with. 

Top on my lists

Good

New additions - Roberts, Hatcher, Jackson looked great and showed why they were added.

Bad

The Special teams gave up some big negative plays like the block punt for TD and the block XP kick. However why they don't make my Ugly list is a couple of times I saw what I thought would be big returns and they were stopped. That's improvement

Ugly

Griffin was awful again. I don't care that he has fans here and some want to not blame him for this loss. Today he looked like a rookie holding the ball too long, throwing bad passes, except today he never used his legs to make plays like he did his rookie season. I am fed up with Griffin and patiently awaiting others to get to where I am. In his last five professional games starting the team has scored a total of 55 points, all losses of course. I believe this loss was on him more then any other player on the team and that we will never see the player he used to be. Injuries have done him in. If I am wrong He better get his crap together fast or he will be the reason we lost another season and more people will agree with me.

not sure about the bad passes part. if anything, he threw very accurately, imo. he just didnt complete any long balls. and i wouldnt put this L on him more than anyone else. whoever was lining up on watt any given play would be #1 cuz that dude was all over the place, especially in the backfield. 

thats not to say i'm happy with where griffin is- he got caught too many times where i thought he could have made a guy miss. and i want to see more plays made on those scrambles. 

but, new system, coming off an year he played hurt, i wasnt mad. 

im going to give him a few more games before making any proclamations. 

not sure about the bad passes part. if anything, he threw very accurately, imo. he just didnt complete any long balls. and i wouldnt put this L on him more than anyone else. whoever was lining up on watt any given play would be #1 cuz that dude was all over the place, especially in the backfield. 

thats not to say i'm happy with where griffin is- he got caught too many times where i thought he could have made a guy miss. and i want to see more plays made on those scrambles. 

but, new system, coming off an year he played hurt, i wasnt mad. 

im going to give him a few more games before making any proclamations. 

It was terrible. Another QB would have placed the Roberts sideline pass in front of him so he could have ran for day light. Instead he threw the ball behind and to the sideline where Roberts made a great catch but out of bounds.

Mad? I was at a crossroads with Griffin before today and he showed me he isn't going to be a good QB in this league. Every one remembers the Griffin from 2012 and expecting he will do that again. Well guess what? He hasn't looked like the 2012 version since being injured that season and today he certainly didn't look good

3 Rushes for 2 Rushing yards

His legs and ability to run is shot. He is behind in learning how to play this game like an immobile QB and looks like a 6th round rookie QB right now and for a three year professional I am disappointed in this.

We just lost to the worst team in the league last year with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB, to me that means this is the worst team in the league. And that upsets me because we have talent all over the place who with another QB would have won today. With a bad QB we will lose and we did.

Not to mention this game has been known and game planed for months. And we come out and put up 6 points. Disgusting

After watching the game with my son (who threw his Skins ballcap more than Spurrior ever thought about :(), here's my take:

Good:

Hard to find much positive after a loss, but the Redskins did seem to have some bright spots. First, the defense looked much improved from last year in only giving up 10 points. Is this a product of Houston's woeful offense, or we've improved that dramatically? Time will tell, but you certainly have to like how the defense played in this game.

The running game certainly showed up in what could only described as complete ineptitude on the offense as a whole. Both Almo and Helu did a great job running the ball and moving the chains. It was a start against a very good and aggressive defense.

Andre Roberts showed up to play and made the most of it. Do I dare say Roberts has solved our returner situation? Too early to say for sure, but today's performance was certainly a reason for optimism.

Other considerations would include DJax and Tress Way. Jackson showed, at least in this contest, that the theory he's only a deep threat should be dispelled as he made a couple of nice intermediate catches and displayed quickness. Way, who did have the block in the first half, was booming his punts (not sure of average though) and overall, I thought, did a nice job of pinning Houston deep in their territory for the most part.

Bad:

There's significantly enough bad to be passed around, but I'll get to the main points.

Oline, in general, was poor. I credit the Houston defensive front (JJ Watts goes without saying) for coming out with a vengeance, but even then the Oline looked overmatched and appeared to have no life in them. The line did play well in run blocking, but was clearly outplayed in pass protection. Even TW, as solid and reliable as he is, looked completely lost at different intervals of the game.

RG3 simply does not look comfortable as a pocket passer, plain and simple. Sure, it'll take time to develop, and he is still young and learning. However, after watching RG3 in 2012, I see nothing in today's game to prove to me that he will successfully be converted to that style of QB. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean he can't find a happy median at some point, and I don't believe that this loss can be pinned on him solely. I'd have been quite "off" this game myself if I had that Oline "protecting" me. :unsure: The truth here is though that he must improve if the Redskins are going to win games this year.

Coaching was not up to par that it needs to be. Gruden will be a good coach, but much like the players there will be some growing pains with him as well. The running game was, for the most part, a success while the passing game seemed out-of-sorts and, sadly, uninspired/unimaginative. It felt that during certain parts of the game, running the football was the bread-and-butter. So, why get away from it (particularly if Houston is giving it to you)? Without the benefit of knowing exactly what Gruden was thinking, it appeared he was determined to manufacture a passing game, even at the expense of the run. If something is working coupled with the defense giving it to you, why deviate away from it? Gruden, I believe, will figure this out in time and experience. However, he needed to understand that Houston came in with a clear plan: stop RG3 and the passing game. Mission accomplished.

Haslett. As some of you may know, I can not stand him and he did little to change my mind in this game. Though I thought the defense improved (as I pointed out in the good section), I once again saw the Haslett fingerprints at the crime scene (i.e. playing CBs 5-10 yards off the WRs, Failing to utilize blitzes on third and longs).  I watched intently in the 4th Qtr, particularly when we still had opportunities to get back in the game with timely stops, as Haz got complacent in his play-calling once again (this seems to be a trait he has had over the years). Point in case was the TD given up by our defense (though Rambo got completely turned around), Haz only sent 3 rushers and gave Fitzpatrick all year to find his target. Can't help to think that had he applied pressure, that TD does not occur. Blaming Shanny (who can be blamed for much of the failings during his regime) is not going to be a crutch he can use now, and clearly the same Haz was on display today. Only thing that saved him today is we have better talent than he had here a year ago.

The Ugly:

Some of our fans would be the start. The doom and gloom crew is out in full force, I see. But really, it's not that bad, guys. Truth be told, we still had the ability to win this game. Calm down and step away from the ledge. :P

Turnovers were our undoing today. The 2 in the redzone, in particular, cost us 14 points. RG3 has to take the blame on the 1st one as you have to understand that if you trip or you're falling, just eat the play and keep it. Live to fight another day, but don't take the unnecessary risk of losing the football on a botched exchange. The second was equally maddening as TE Paul has to wrap up the ball as he knew he had defenders behind him. As much as the coaching staff has been showered accolades for teaching the fundamentals throughout TC, it was not obviously not present by today's performance.

ST's was supposed to be a point of emphasis this offseason for improvement. Could have fooled us as it once again reared its ugly head. The blocked EP and then the blocked punt brought back terrifying memories of 2013. Kotwica has his hands full, evidently, resurrecting something similar to a competent STs unit. Though Roberts and Way shined respectively, he still has an uphill climb. 

My 2 cents. ;)

Great QB's make good offensive lineman, not the other way around.

It's not uncommon for even the great QBs to have poor games when their OL is being completely blown up and they have guys in their face all game. Sure, you can negate some of that by quick throws (which we did today...but of course people **** about THAT as well) but eventually you're going to have to mix it up and you can't do that well if you can't get more than 2 seconds to let a bigger play develop. GB's OL was getting punished on Thursday night...not as bad as ours today, but pretty bad...and Rodgers had a very pedestrian outing at best. We've seen the same thing happen to Brady and Manning as well. 

It was terrible. Another QB would have placed the Roberts sideline pass in front of him so he could have ran for day light. Instead he threw the ball behind and to the sideline where Roberts made a great catch but out of bounds.

I think we should look at the All-22 before we throw either player under the bus. It's possible it wasn't a great throw but its also possible that he just threw it to where Roberts was. Or it could be a combination of both. 

Looking at the SF game,  you can clearly see what a competent OLINE looks like (SF).  They form an actual pocket,  they keep the defenders at bay and form a wall.   The QB can make his reads without someone constantly in their face....there is a good 3-4 yard cushion between the pocket created OLINE and the QB.   Wow. 

Good - The offense moved the ball well against a good defense. The running game was great. Trent Williams made Clowney look like a child. The defense was awesome. I would've like more pressure, but they tackled well and did enough to win.

Bad - Play-calling was awful. They couldn't stop the run and it was a way to counteract the pass rush and Gruden stopped calling it. Defense had one bad play and I don't blame Rambo. Lack of pass rush gave Fitzpatrick all day to throw.

Ugly - Blocking on punts and FGs. They were the difference between a 7-7 game and a 17-6 loss. Also fumbling in the red zone - can't have that.

Good:  Morris and Helu looked good today.  Returns, punts specifically.  Roberts looks like a good pickup.  I think DJax looked good as well.  Defense looked sharp until late.

Bad:  Getting away from the run game and a generally un-agressive style of calling plays.  I hope Gruden learns.  Injuries to potentially key players, Cofield and Reed specifically.

Ugly:  Play calls and lack of aggressiveness at end of 1st half.  Special teams gaffs.  I can't understand how we've continually had attrocious teams play over years.  Offensive line play in pass pro.  At this rate the young'uns will have to see time on the right side of the line.

RG3:  I think he's in a completely different category this game.  I'd give him a C overall today.  He played ok, but he had some mistakes.  He'll get a lot of the blame, but I don't think that should be the case.  Such is life as a QB.

The Good:

K. Robinson looked great at MLB. 

Morris: 14 carries for 90+ yards

Hatcher: His presence was felt early on.

The Bad:

RG3: Yes he looked better in the 2nd half, but the game is 60 minutes long. He was 13/14 for measly 59 yards to start the game. All passes under 5 yards. No awareness. He doesn't move around the pocket at all. He is fast but not elusive like a lot of these average speed QBs. 

Niles Paul: Fumbles after barely getting touched.

OL: Just terrible showing.

The Ugly:

Gruden: Stopped giving the ball to Morris. He stated couple of days ago that he wants his team to be physical and Morris will be central to the team's success. Yet, he only gets 14 carries in a one possession game and throws the ball 37 times. That's completely unacceptable.

Special Teams: Blocked PAT, blocked punt.

Helu: Didn't even attempt to block his man on the punt block.

OL coach/Gruden (yes, he's on here twice): The team took Watt lightly. How else can you justify Polumbus going one on one and Paulsen blocking him one on one. Unacceptable

Good: Running game & D was overall solid...can't fault them for the blocked punt TD & the late FG as they were worn down after fighting their guts out the whole game.

Bad: Rambo on the long TD...blew the coverage & then missed the tackle. The blocked PAT & punt were obviously killers.

Ugly: Two fumbles inside the ten & the refs not overturning Roberts catch where he appeared to clearly have two feet in bounds. But then again, if Griffin lays it out there and doesn't lead Roberts into the boundary, it's likely an easy TD.

Archived