Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Burgold

Good... RGIII looked pretty accurate and was able to hit short, medium, and his down field throws were on target.  Wish he were able to give Roberts a little bit more room on that one downfield heave.  Still not sure he was out.  Also, the run game looked pretty good and Helu and Morris made an effective 1, 2 punch.  Defense was very strong in the first half.

Bad:  Line protection.  Seemed like every blitz got someone through. Stop definding a 3rd and two pass play with defenders eight yards off the receiver.  You're conceding it.  Punt returns were pretty good too.  Roberts had a nice couple of returns.

Ugly punt and kick protection.  Two in one game!!! Ugh!!!  Also obviously ball security.  Not sure what happen with the RGIII stumble lost handoff, but that can't happen.  Likewise, for Paul. Those four plays were the game.  Houston otherwise really only had one play which looked like a blown coverage too.

Fix a few handles and this ship can be wrighted.

Lots of missed opportunities.  The fumbles are on Morris and Paul -- btw, nice game by Alfred and Niles outside those drops.  Sloppiness on the XP and punt....  Those are correctable.  What's not immediately correctable is that the line cannot pass block when it has to.  Spencer Long needs to accelerate his training because Chester is no molester.

Good:  I'll take that stat line from RG3 every day as long as he's not making dumb throws and turning the ball over.  I don't have much hope that he's going to be a dynamic throwing quarterback but as long as he's accurate with the short and medium passes, I'm fine with that.  Alfred looked like a beast, his vision is great.  

Bad:  The O-Line.  Knew it was going to be bad, JJ Watt pretty much had his way with Polumbus.  No one can convince me that the pass blocking will be good this year.  The fumbles, what the hell? 

Ugly:  Special teams still ****ing suck.  I kept hearing over the offseason that they HAVE to be better than last year, that their will be an improvement.  Oh really?   

Not to be a stickler but it should be "the" good, etc.   

Good, Morris racked up enough yards in the first half that it let RGIII open up the passing game a little.

Bad, why didn't we run him more?  The O line might have looked a little better if we had.

Ugly, not doubt the special teams.  With a close second for the fins that some have instead of hands.

I dunno.  RGIII didn't look that terrible.  The line looked absolutely atrocious.  Inexcusably so.  Had Niles hung onto the ball and the Roberts pass been ruled correctly, RGIII is over 300 yards with no picks and something like an 85% completion percentage.  The Morris fumble was on him, though.  That tripping needs to stop.

Orakpo is worthless as compared to his franchise tag.  Huge waste 1/16 of the season in.

Lots of missed opportunities. The fumbles are on Morris and Paul -- btw, nice game by Alfred and Niles outside those drops. Sloppiness on the XP and punt.... Those are correctable. What's not immediately correctable is that the line cannot pass block when it has to. Spencer Long needs to accelerate his training because Chester is no molester.

And Polumbus is even worse. If I stunk that bad at my job I'd be fired in a heartbeat.

Ugly: Special teams still ****ing suck. I kept hearing over the offseason that they HAVE to be better than last year, that their will be an improvement. Oh really?

I agree they were ugly, but sad a sit seems. Ugly was an improvement. I think Roberts shortest return might have been better than our long last year.

The problem this game is that each of our uglies were hideous. The extra point block, the 77 yarder, the punt block, fumbles that stole points. All were huge uglies. The kind that can't be prettied up no matter what.

I don't know what I'm supposed to be upset about other than the blocked punt. Offense moved the ball fine we just couldn't hang onto it. I'd rather these mistakes happen in September than anywhere else. Griff got the ball out quickly against a front 7 that gave him no time and the defense held as long as they could.

Is RGIII really the only QB who struggles behind a bad O-line?  He's getting way too much blame.  That Texans front 7 is top 5 in the league.  Brady doesn't have that same excuse from his performance:

Tom Brady struggled in the Patriots' 33-20, Week 1 loss to the Dolphins, completing 29-of-55 passes for 249 yards and a touchdown.

He lost two fumbles. Sailing passes all afternoon, Brady limped to a 4.52 YPA. Brady often appeared to simply be throwing the ball up for grabs, and was lucky not to have been picked. The dreadful afternoon was not all Brady's fault, however, as he had little time to throw behind a sieve-like offensive line, especially after halftime.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1163/tom-brady

Good:  Alfred Morris. The guy has been as steady as one could ask for, and IMO the glue that is holding this team together.

Bad: o-line. Yes, the o-line didn't look good at all, but taking into consideration we knew the Texans front line was going to put pressure on them, the gameplanning/QB play should have compensated more than they did.

Ugly: Special Teams. Now I see why they call them 'special'. Danny, oh Danny, where forth are thou?

the blueprint has been given, as this game resembled last year's opener, a disaster in the making. 

Stats do not tell the story, but some will point to them and say differently, but as the good ol' eyeball test proves once again, the proof is in the pudding, and this team looked as soft as pudding.

I don't want controversy. But multiple times I wondered aloud if Cousins would have been more decisive. Just wondered what he would have done.

I dunno, you kind of defined what a controversy is right there.

I said "wondered." Wondered. As in, I wished RG3 would have been more decisive.

Chill.

That's not what "wondered" means.

1) I was impressed with RGIII in that he at least seemed to understand more that dumping it off to a receiver for two yards is better than scrambling for those two yards yourself. That being said, for a smart guy he still seriously lacks football intelligence all the time. When you are in field goal range on third down you don't take a sack. The clock is shorter - if no one is poem get rid of the ball. Same thing all day - you know several of your linemen suck and several of their linemen are very good so get rid of the damn ball.

2) Play calling - beginning to end. Awful. First series Morris grabs 9 yards on his first carry. We want to establish the run and protect RGIII so please explain a screen on 2nd down then wasting a timeout only to run right at watt on third down. Continuing our screen game and 5 yard hitch routes for the remainder of the game was hard to watch. Bottom line: Morris averages over 6 ypc, Helu over 10 and they get a combined 18 carries to RGIII throwing 37 passes. Makes me want to throw up.

3) Hold on to the damn ball. As bad as it was to see Paul fumble and Morris put the ball on the ground (we were that close to losing three fumbles inside their ten yard line), RGIII continuing his trend last year of fumbling snaps and tripping himself is infuriating. He leads the league in fumbles since entering. By a lot.

4) Jordan Reed - Top 5 talent isn't going to do us any good on the bench again all year.

5) Defense as a whole was a huge positive. They bottled up Foster the whole game and surrendered only 10 points. Clark looked great. Hatcher looked unblockable in the first half but was much less noticeable in the second. I was disappointed to only come away with one sack but we were in fitzgerald's face a lot today. Also came away with a big fumble recovery when we needed one. Biggest issue was that we again gave up a backbreaking huge play right after our offense scored.

6) Special teams. Don't know what to say. I thought the coverage and return teams were good (how the hell does our guy get blatantly held twice on punt coverage and they don't get called?!?!). But the blocked pat and punt are inexcusable. Disgusting.

7) Despite a back breaking fumble at least Niles Paul looked like a very viable option in the passing game today, especially if Reed continues to get hurt just trying to stand up.

Archived