Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Burgold

I can understand him being confused - the results of their play looked very similar.

Agreed but at least now we know the fumbled snaps weren't on Monty. New center, same problem for RGIII dropping snaps and getting his feet tangled. RGIII is a great speed runner but he is very lanky and uncoordinated when doing much more than running in a straight line. Fumbled snaps are inexcusable IMO.

RG3 is not at the point where he is making any sort of protection reads and it is killing him.  Yes we definitely have a below average right side of the OL going up against a great DL.....but more than once RG missed the safety walking to the line and missed didn't account for him having a free release.   It's embarrassing how bad his pocket awareness is at this point. 

Rg3 looked like crap in my opinion, holds the ball too long. How the hell is Tyler Polumbus a starter. He's awful. Fumbles killed us. Same ****, different year. On the positive side the D did look good.

Smh. So how long should be holding onto the ball? Because he was throwing it pretty quickly to his first and second reads since he was getting no more than two seconds of blocking.

BAD and UGLY - OLINE OLINE OLINE, constantly getting pushed back.

Most likely stepped on RG3's foot which caused the trip/fumble to Morris in the end zone.

-RG3 need to just take the sack, it was a first down, why risk a fumble - BAD on RG3.

-The one time I actually saw a clean pocket, RG3 doesnt step up gets sacked.

- Also, on a drive in the first, not sure if we were in FG distance, but RG3 took a 9 yard sack or something vs, trying to throw it away.

Find a receiver and chuck it out of bound toward his direction.

But definitely saw a much better RG3, vs Preseason. True Rookie Season.

The good:

RG3s passing in the second half. He stood in the pocket and made a lot of good throws.

Receivers were getting open consistently, which as redskins fans you should really appreciate.

Morris is still a beast

Helu ran well as a change up

The defense. Held the texans to 10 points which is as good as any team can expect.

The bad:

RG3s big negative plays. I don't care what the protection is, there is no scenario in which running backwards and losing 10 more yards is the right reaction. The sack and grounding killed drives. One might have taken us out of field goal range. The trip and fumbled hand off cost points as well.

Niles Paul fumble. Again points were lost and this was a close game, that fumble changed everything.

Polumbus and Chester. They got bullied by Watt all game.

The ugly.

special teams.

Gruden's decision to give up at the end of the first half

Injuries. So many injuries.

RG3's performance and growth over the season will be the factor in the team's overall success.  Here's my quick good/bad for RG3:

Good:

He slid!  And, didn't hurt himself! 

He completed the easy throws that were designed to help him get into a rhythm

The Bad:

Wasting two time outs because he couldn't get the play off in time.  This is a bad tendency that needs to change.  It happened frequently last year with different coaching regime as well.

Running out of the pocket INTO the path of the rushing DE or LB.  I mean this happened over and over during the game.  Not all the sacks and pressures are on Polumbus.  RG3 negated the pass protection on several occasions.

Intentional Grounding - This is becoming another one of his bad habits.  I think we could do a replay and see it over and over again last season. 

I dunno, you kind of defined what a controversy is right there.

That's not what "wondered" means.

Really? I'm so glad you clarified.

Because in a parallel universe, it would be an interesting hypothetical to see how alternatives play out. What if Germany won WWII? What if the South had won the Civil War?

Would I pull Griffin? Of course not. Am I free to imagine what Cousins could have done?

I also wondered how much that missed extra point affected momentum, but I didn't want to push it and offend the thought police.

Just a couple of general comments on the RG3 trip on the handoff (since I see a lot of people here bemoaning it). First, from what I saw on the replay Robert had his foot stepped on which caused him to trip. Second...was it perhaps a bit ill-advised to try the handoff? Yeah, probably. However, the handoff was still a good one in that it pretty much went right into the numbers. Before anyone goes apoplectic on me, no I am NOT blaming Morris for the play; I'm sure it was pretty chaotic and distracting in there. Be that as it may, if Morris had held on to that handoff I'm guessing there would be less "That was a stupid decision" and more "That was an impressive reaction on a broken play" from the peanut gallery. 

RG3 is not at the point where he is making any sort of protection reads and it is killing him.  Yes we definitely have a below average right side of the OL going up against a great DL.....but more than once RG missed the safety walking to the line and missed didn't account for him having a free release.   It's embarrassing how bad his pocket awareness is at this point. 

I disagree somewhat.  Not defending his ability to make protection reads but there wasn't one safety SACK all game.  He got rid of it regardless if the safety came free or not.  You can only block so many at the line of scrimmage.  The key is he didn't hold  on to the ball and allow the "free man" to sack him.  Our offensive line lost one on one battles today.

Would like to see Gruden have rg3 not stay in the same spot and create some half rolls every once in awhile, and get him out of the pistol and into a real shotgun.  This could buy him some time as his peripheral vision should be better in a shotgun (2 yards further back) compared to the pistol formation.

Top on my lists

Good

New additions - Roberts, Hatcher, Jackson looked great and showed why they were added.

Bad

The Special teams gave up some big negative plays like the block punt for TD and the block XP kick. However why they don't make my Ugly list is a couple of times I saw what I thought would be big returns and they were stopped. That's improvement

Ugly

Griffin was awful again. I don't care that he has fans here and some want to not blame him for this loss. Today he looked like a rookie holding the ball too long, throwing bad passes, except today he never used his legs to make plays like he did his rookie season. I am fed up with Griffin and patiently awaiting others to get to where I am. In his last five professional games starting the team has scored a total of 55 points, all losses of course. I believe this loss was on him more then any other player on the team and that we will never see the player he used to be. Injuries have done him in. If I am wrong He better get his crap together fast or he will be the reason we lost another season and more people will agree with me.

Don't give me stats, give me results. He hasn't show anything of worth to me since November 3rd, 2013. Don't even say well it's great he slid. He is a professional making millions. He should be expected to do that. And don't tell me the line was the issue, plenty of times today he saw the pocket break down and instead of running like a Colin Kapernick he back peddled himself into a sack or an intentional grounding penalty or a ball thrown out of bounds. 6 Points is not what will ever win games in today's NFL and if he can't score more then 55 in 5 games we deserve to move on from this, It's a team game but one weakness can ruin everything and that's what I saw again today

It seems lost of many of you that this team just scored 6 total points on the worst team from last season. If you lose to the worst team then you are the worst team.

However, the handoff was still a good one in that it pretty much went right into the numbers. Before anyone goes apoplectic on me, no I am NOT blaming Morris for the play; I'm sure it was pretty chaotic and distracting in there. Be that as it may, if Morris had held on to that handoff I'm guessing there would be less "That was a stupid decision" and more "That was an impressive reaction on a broken play" from the peanut gallery.

The handoff didn't go into the numbers. RG3 put it on Morris's right arm. A handoff isn't a catch, they can't adjust if you miss the opening they make with their arms. Either you get it in there or it's going to be an immediate fumble. RG3 missed, for whatever reason you like, but Morris had no chance at holding on to it because the ball was never in his grasp,

Good:

Keenan Robinson: Who knew we had the perfect replacement for London Fletcher already on the roster. Keenan had a great game, he had the front 7 in position and he made plays on defense AND special teams.

Robert Griffin: Robert was accurate and executed the gameplan well. He wasn't perfect, as some expect him to be. But he played well enough to win this game. He needs to just fall on the ball in those situations where there is a problem with the snap or handoff. Overall, he was much better than posters on here are giving him credit for.

Alfred Morris: he was a beast. All game long. He should've had the ball in his hands more, and I'll get to that later.

WR corps: they did a great job getting open against a very good secondary.

Bad:

Injuries: there is no one to blame when multiple players get injured, but it is nonetheless annoying as hell. Reed, Hatcher, Cofield....seems like Baker is the only starter left on our DL. Nothing we can do here but hope we get those guys back quickly.

Bacarri Rambo: he doesn't reach the ugly category because he only blew one play. Granted, it resulted in points. But considering how far he's come, I don't think the rest of his performance should be discounted.

Brian Orakpo: did he play?

Ugly:

Jay Gruden: I understood his gameplan to attack the Texan's defense, but he should've ran the ball WAY more than he did. Some coaches seem to lack the ability to adjust the gameplan they worked so hard on all week when a much easier solution presents itself. The best coaches figure this out, and I hope Jay catches on soon. But when you have Morris and Helu killing a defense like that, you adjust your gameplan to compensate for something the defense can't handle. Continuing to follow your gameplan is letting them off the hook. Force them to figure out to stop the running game, than you can go back to your passing plays that you're just itching to call. Offensive coordinators always seem to struggle with this.

Offensive line: just terrible. They looked scared of the Texans, especially Chester. Polumbus has no business being a starting tackle in this league. It is laughable that he has been allowed to play this poorly for three years and our front office, regardless of who's in charge, has been unable to find a better replacement. He's average in run blocking, and abysmal pass blocking. Lauvao wasn't as bad as Kory, Chester, and Polumbus, so he gets a pass. This offense can't really take off until this unit is significantly improved.

These ridiculous armchair QB redskins fans: stop blaming Griffin for everything that happens to this team. Every time we lose these dummies blame Griffin, despite the fact that this team seems to have many of the same issues it did last year. Poor tackling, poor pass blocking, horrendous special teams and mediocre playcalling. But yeah, let's blame Griffin! That seems easier to do.....because we're clearly only one QB away from a championship.

Archived