Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Burgold

One more thing I saw mentioned on FB, which I thought was a valid point, was that Jason freakin' Campbell was here for FIVE years.

He was given a year to sit, was eased into the lineup year 2, and we then proceeded to give him 3 full years after that prove himself.

Despite all that, he was never as good as Griffin was in 2012, and was, at his best, similar to 2013 RGIII.

If Jason Campbell can 5 years of our teams' existence, and 3 full years as a starter, I think we can stop hounding Griffin for a while and see what happens.

But since you want to insult Hank at the expense of Griffin you need to realize that Hank has been productive when he has been healthy, which we can not say of Griffin. Unless of course Griffin is already hurt.

hankfan, youre out of control, man. 

either that, or its a less funny pittman4two bit. 

maybe the world is "fluid"?  just didnt seem like he was at ease in the pocket.  in 2012 he was at ease the whole season, he just looked like he was not thinking as hard, decisions were a little quicker.  the holding on to the ball thing seems to me to be a byproduct of comfort.  because hes not used to surveying and reading as much its just taking a bit longer.

i fully expect him to get better at this as time goes on, but its a process.  hes got way too much talent to give up on him like a lot of people are ready to go.  

I agree, to me it looks as though he is playing like he is behind a brick wall and he has all the time in the world. There seems to be no snap in his step. I wonder where the '12  Griff went? He used to be so commanding at the line. 

If Jason Campbell can 5 years of our teams' existence, and 3 full years as a starter, I think we can stop hounding Griffin for a while and see what happens.

Jason wasn't drafted no. 2 overall so the expectations are higher, but I do agree with you, he should get more consideration vs. less. 

Where is everyone getting this "2 seconds and killed" line?

And what are they attributing it to?

Coach don't you think some read option and some designed QB runs would have helped keep that DL more at bay? It seems to me Romeo won the coaching battle over Jay, which is understandable considering experience in the league. 

An excuse for who, though? Griffin actually played fairly well. He made mistakes, but I don't see why the harsh criticism.

He was average. He played well enough to win if the rest of the team played perfectly.

I'm not talking about his stat line as much as his tendency to "sack himself" like on this intentional grounding play, which makes the O Line look worse. PFF grades and other pundits point to this being more than likely.

But the O Line still wasn't great Sunday lol

Coach don't you think some read option and some designed QB runs would have helped keep that DL more at bay? It seems to me Romeo won the coaching battle over Jay, which is understandable considering experience in the league. 

• This is what I said in the thread I created yesterday:
  •  
  •  

On our boot series with a man (TE/FB) coming across the formation to leak to the flats, we never chipped the end man on the line of scrimmage. One of the announcers during the game noted: "It seems like no one is blocking Brooks Reed". There's a good reason for that... We weren't. By design. He was a free rusher and got to Griffin more than a few times. He needs to be chipped. I don't think that was an error by Paulsen or Young, as neither did it. I think that was schematic in order to get a free release to the flat to help with YAC. Problem was, the QB was left very prone and the Texans were bringing backside edge pressure.
  • It looked like we were hoping the zone read would freeze the backside end man on the line of scrimmage on a lot of plays. Problem is, we didn't give the Texans any reason to respect the zone read. If you're not running zone read, that backside guy in zone schemes is going to be a menace, and that's exactly what Brooks Reed was. You have to block that guy if you're not zone reading it.

I don't think the zone read would have necessarily kept the edge rusher (was usually an OLB or walked up ILB, but there were some DL pressures) at bay. But it would have given them something to think about. But then again, Griff got hit on a lot of our naked boot series plays where we intentionally left the boot side EMLOS (End man on the line of scrimmage) unblocked, obviously hoping he'd bend down the LOS at the run. 

We need to chip on boot series, and if we're going to ever leave the EMLOS unblocked, I'd say we need to block the backside guy more often (not necessarily on outside zone, but definitely on inside. It would also set up the playaction boot series better). But, let me make this clear: I'm posting on a message board on my team's bye week... Gruden is a professional football coach. I'd default to his opinion before listening to mine.

He was average. He played well enough to win if the rest of the team played perfectly.

I'm not talking about his stat line as much as his tendency to "sack himself" like on this intentional grounding play, which makes the O Line look worse. PFF grades and other pundits point to this being more than likely.

But the O Line still wasn't great Sunday lol

He played good enough to win... Period. The fumbles hurt us most on offense. The blocked XP and the blocked punt REALLY hurt the team. He did sack himself on the grounding call, and he is sometimes a bit too quick to take off, but he also got out of a few jams because of his escape ability.

All I am saying is, people are critical of RG3 right now because he honestly deserves criticism, because he's clearly not playing well enough, and doesn't really seem to have that sense of urgency he needs with how badly everything is going, which further alarms people as well.

An excellent summary Taco (the whole thing, not just this paragraph). Very few people are saying that Cousins is the answer, but even those of us saying that Griffin is a long way from the QB we were hoping for when we gave up all those draft picks, get labelled as "anti-Griffin". In reality we just wish he would learn from his mistakes (the same ones over and over) rather than listen to the homers who feel it's everyone else's fault and none of it his.

Griffin to me just looks slow compared to '12, I don't mean running wise, I mean in his snap count, back peddle and then making a throw. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it seems to me everything is slowed down. Maybe that is on purpose and it will just take time for him to adjust to not over reacting on every play. It seems he is being careful with the ball, not a bad thing or just taking off when the first look is not there. I think patience is in order, adjustments take time and need to develop, not just flip a switch and happen.  

Griffin to me just looks slow compared to '12, I don't mean running wise, I mean in his snap count, back peddle and then making a throw. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it seems to me everything is slowed down. Maybe that is on purpose and it will just take time for him to adjust to not over reacting on every play. It seems he is being careful with the ball, not a bad thing or just taking off when the first look is not there. I think patience is in order, adjustments take time and need to develop, not just flip a switch and happen.  

This makes sense.  He's been so overanalyzed and criticized that the idea of just playing and not thinking is unlikely.  He's he's having to be conscious about so much that he used to just trust himself to do.  A few games in he'll probably return to normal.  Hopefully, he understands that the result (loss) is bad, but can gain confidence in himself/accuracy and execution.

He needs to get back into playing.  His efforts on the field were pretty good... just a bit hyper conscious.

• The good:  Loved our running game, Morris is the real deal, a RB with vision and power
  • The bad: Kerrigan and Orkpo should have done much better in pressuring Fitz..
  • The ugly: Special team, we spotted them 8 points people.  Honerable mention turnovers: spoted them another 6 at least.

As for RGIII overall not a bad game but as they say this is a game of inches.  What if that long bomb to Roberts was correctly rulled a catch?  RGIII goes over 300 yards with insane completion % and he would be hailed as having had an increadible game, especially if we get a FG and a TD in those two turnovers in the redzone and win the game.  And that long bomb is precisely the play that I would point out (along with his issues on two snaps) that he is not there yet.  Roberts was wide open, RGIII on the run, you don't need to be perfect on that pass, damn it lead the WR inwards not outwards on that throw. Roberts probably scores a TD there.

Question on that play is why couldn't he avoid the sack?   I mean look around with his ability he should have tried to avoid that sack.  So is RGIII the same RGIII of 2012?  that play tells me NO.

Really? He was stepping up and looking down field. He had a foot of space tops by the time he noticed the guy.

2nd sack

which i think is worse the first, i think Roberts was open on the out and RG3 should have anticipated the throw. I seen Manning/Brady/Rodgers make that throw before the WR makes his cut.

Not a lot of good RG3 in the 1st half.

good lord, youre tough. 

thats a jail break. almost as if there was no O line at all. 

Thanks for throwing up the gifs SkinsInSite

My 2 cents:

1st Sack: Houston had the boot sniffed out. They blitzed 6 maybe 7 guys and it was still 4 on 2 blockers as he squared up. The guy was coming full speed, untouched. I think we were looking deep, and Robert was stepping into a big throw - he had to bail to survive.  He moved up to throw, and then back to avoid the full brunt. Don't try to score every play, a Gruden Rule.

2nd Sack: Houston blitzed 6. Look at RG3, as it was about time to throw, he had 3 guys in his face. One was untouched. He could have thrown it early / earlier on the out, for sure. But he is also trying to survive. That was a proper jail break. 

The thing I see new from RG3 post 2012, that BMitch pointed out, can be seen here. RG3, with 3 guys suddenly in his face, dropped his hips, stepped toward the left, and then to the right, dead in the water. Body becomes discombobulated. I do not blame him one bit, our pass pro cannot pickup a blitz let alone straight up block. 

When he saw the pressure, his first reaction was to bust a move, his body ends up into an odd position, and was thus not in position to throw it away nor run away. Wasted motions perhaps. This is where he needs to improve. Robert is a sprinter, not a Barry Sanders.

Hats off to Crennel. He moved Watt around early, and sent Gruden's playbook into the waistband, who turned to short passing for the rest of the day. A weeks worth of practice down the tubes. I bet Lauvao and Chester were damn glad Watt spent the rest of the day on Tyler after that first series. Who again I think exceeded reasonable expectation for his play on the day. Watt is clearly a full on beast. 

Look at Crennel's blitzes. I am jealous. He is moving guys around presnap, having a safety move up late... our OL and backs just seem to be guessing on where to block. I dont know if its Kory or RG3 or Gruden to sort out blitz pickups, but we never get guys free when on D, and yet they are free on us. Weekly.

For years now. Seriously. I cannot explain it.

2nd sack

which i think is worse the first, i think Roberts was open on the out and RG3 should have anticipated the throw. I seen Manning/Brady/Rodgers make that throw before the WR makes his cut.

Not a lot of good RG3 in the 1st half.

Eh, I dunno about this one. From what I could tell by where Griff was looking after the snap Roberts wasn't the first read. Add to that that by the time Roberts was even in a position to start his break, Griffin had 3 guys in his face from the left side as well as up the middle so he had no pocket to step up into. I really don't think there is much he could have done there outside of an audible to a slant or something.

Archived