Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

No one likes it when a thread goes this route, but maybe it's about time everyone just realizes (for the most part), white dudes play/move like white dudes and black dudes play/move like black dudes.  It's not the skin color that gives it away though, the dudes could be wearing full body leotards or whatever, and you could maybe guess "oh that's a white dude".  (ok that may be a stretch, but still...in the small circle of NCAA/NFL athletes, you see similarities, no doubt)

It's not hateful.  Doesn't mean one's better than the other.  It's just the nature of....the world I guess.  It's not a big deal and I wish people wouldn't get so worked up about it.

I don't think there is a physical difference at the nfl level. If they get to the nfl, they're athletic. The racial stereotype is more of a product of lazy nfl analyst. White wr's are the next Ed Mcaffrey or Eric Decker...etc.

Looks much more fluid than Kerrigan.

Oh he is!! Kerrigan was stiff as nails coming out of college and is still basically a effort/power rusher. Murphy is 3 inches taller, just as heavy, and has more pass rushing moves in college than I've seen from Kerrigan or Rak! He actually has a spin move!!

Comparing him to Watt is a little off, one is a 3-4 DE, the other will be an OLB.  That's a good 40 pounds different.  Watt is an absolute freak for his position, so I don't think them being similar is bad for Murphy, but it's not exactly inherently glowing when you're pulling the same times as a guy who is 40 pounds heavier.

I do like Murphy's pass defending skills.  It does remind me of Watt and Kerrigan.  Both get their hands in the air and bat balls around, Watt from the inside, Kerrigan from the outside.

I would love to see Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Murphy on the field at once, with Orakpo coming up the middle, and Kerrigan and Murphy coming from the outside.  Any pass that's aimed outside of the tackles is going to have a really high chance of being batted down, or worse for the QB, batted up, caught, and returned for 6.

Chief fans probably weren't too excited when they drafted Jared Allen in the 4th round of the '04 draft and look how that turned out.  

This may be the dumbest thing I've heard.

Skins fans weren't too excited when they drafted Malcom Kelly in the second round of the '08 draft and look how that turned out

This may be the dumbest thing I've heard.

Skins fans weren't too excited when they drafted Malcom Kelly in the second round of the '08 draft and look how that turned out

I remember the opposite.  I remember a lot of fans cheering very loudly, saying that they would have picked him with the first rounder had we not traded down.  Some said they were worried about the knee, but most were very hyped about this guy's production and potential.

I remember the opposite. I remember a lot of fans cheering very loudly, saying that they would have picked him with the first rounder had we not traded down. Some said they were worried about the knee, but most were very hyped about this guy's production and potential.

That's how I remember it, too...he and Thomas were said to have made Moss and Randle El unnecessary.

Why are people comparing him to Watt? He is literally nothing like him. Completely different players.

I'm scratching my head about that myself. Totally different positions as well.

The more I hear, see and read about Murphy though the more I think we got a good football player.

I love how everyone is comparing him to Jared Allen and JJ Watt. Hmmm I wonder why...

Because they all like pizza?

I think some people might want to consider this is actually a potential replacement for Kerrigan and not Orakpo.

Who knows, but I highly doubt it's Kerrigan.  The team seems to love him, not to mention Orakpo is on a franchise tag and there are no signs that point to the team and Orakpo agreeing on a long term contract.  We'll see how things go for Orakpo in the new "Haslett Unleashed" scheme.

Oh he is!! Kerrigan was stiff as nails coming out of college and is still basically a effort/power rusher. Murphy is 3 inches taller, just as heavy, and has more pass rushing moves in college than I've seen from Kerrigan or Rak! He actually has a spin move!!

That's one thing I noticed about Murphy.  He looks like he has more moves than Orakpo and can shed blockers better.  Of course, time will tell if Murphy can do that in the pros.  Hopefully he can.

I'm watching a little bit of highlights of him and he's not speedy like Kerrigan, he just gets after people. Height, size, even hand size is identical to JJ Watt but I think he's a little less powerful.

Watt is 6"5 290, Murphy is 6"6 260.

Lol I mean their combine results were identical, but Watt is 30 pounds heavier and plays defensive end.

Who's to say that Murphy won't be asked to bulk up, add another 20 pounds or so and play the end position? He's probably going to have his hand in the dirt on four man front schemes like the nickel, although he doesn't fit the mold of a 3-4 defensive end now, he could eventually add the weight and play that position. Who knows what's in store, they obviously thought highly of him, but all in all they know he needs to bulk up, as Gruden mentioned in the post Day 2 press conference. 

Who's to say that Murphy won't be asked to bulk up, add another 20 pounds or so and play the end position? He's probably going to have his hand in the dirt on four man front schemes like the nickel, although he doesn't fit the mold of a 3-4 defensive end now, he could eventually add the weight and play that position. Who knows what's in store, they obviously thought highly of him, but all in all they know he needs to bulk up, as Gruden mentioned in the post Day 2 press conference.

I don't think there is any possibility of that as Gruden has already said he is playing OLB.

The problem with this pick is that while it is indeed possible that Orakpo is gone after 2014 and we will need a replacement, the truth is there are positions on this team where we don't have a quality starter or any quality development prospects RIGHT NOW.

And those spots continue to be ignored to add to present areas of strength.

except for OL, where we drafted guys after Murphy I can't think of any.

Archived