Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

I think it's more accurate to say lots of people said "What?" when Kerrigan was picked lol...That was the year 95% of Skins fans were absolutely certain we were finally drafting our next franchise QB in the 1st round.

Yeah, I remember a lot of fans, including myself were disappointed with the Kerrigan pick.  This was my thought at the time.  "We need a QB and Blaine Gabbert falls right into our lap!  We pass and take Kerrigan?  Hate it."  I'm happy to admit that I was DEAD WRONG. 

For what it's worth, Kiper said Murphy was on his top 25 list at one point during the year.

Chief fans probably weren't too excited when they drafted Jared Allen in the 4th round of the '04 draft and look how that turned out.  

Murphy is high energy and a good pick.     Murphy, Hatcher, Kerrigan, and Orakpo.  wow....

I think it's more accurate to say lots of people said "What?" when Kerrigan was picked lol...That was the year 95% of Skins fans were absolutely certain we were finally drafting our next franchise QB in the 1st round.

I remember a huge amount of relief when we did not go for a QB.  Yes, Kerrigan was not the pick many were hoping for but it was much better than the possible alternative.  Dalton was the only one that would have been slightly less a reach,  OK, there was Newton but he really wasn't even an option.

surprised at the negative responses by many.  this young man is a proto typical hybrid def end, outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense.  I am a big fan of Alabama and their defense using the big olbs in this manner, a pro set that wins.  murphy was one of the best in the country doing this rushing, and defending the short pass all year in the pac 12.  set school records, pac 12 record for 2013.  260 pounds, 6ft 6inch and mean.  we need his aggression, and toughness on the corner, and rushing the qb.  expect him to be exceptional in two years. 

Don't question Murphy's talent but given we don't need a top OLB till 2015, I'd have rather picked up an extra 1 next year for finding Rak's replacement.

Chief fans probably weren't too excited when they drafted Jared Allen in the 4th round of the '04 draft and look how that turned out.  

Murphy is high energy and a good pick.     Murphy, Hatcher, Kerrigan, and Orakpo.  wow....

Haha "Murphy's Law!"  I love the one where he tips the pass and the receiver catches it anyway, but then he tackles him.

I think people are ignoring the most important part of this pick.

STEER WRESTLING!

Also,

10257308_441949435941394_500043958959382

Welcome to the Redskins dude.  Let's see what you got!

His nickname is the yeti. He deserves to be drafted in the second round just on that basis.

Steer Wrestling AND a cool nickname!?

I'm 100% down with this, screw the haters.

It's funny but this is the one pick I'm excited about......glad we drafted Moses, but there is something about Murphy that intrigues me. I see Murphy jersey sales in the future.  Can't wait to head to training camp . 

If Campbell felt Trent Murphy could end up better than either Orakpo or Kerrigan within these next two years, I think he's worth the second and more

If they hope to get equal production from him compared to either of those guys, I think he's a solid value in the second. 

If he ends up being a lesser player than either of them, it's a big fail. 

That being said, I think there are three positions/roles on a team where I think depth is very close to being just as important as the starter/s there. That's QB, LT, and pass rusher. Those are the guys who, if you lose, could ruin your entire season more than any other position. So I don't mind spending high picks or cap resources on depth for those spots. It's why I didn't mind the Cousins pick at the time. 

I LOVE having the feeling right now that, if Orakpo or Kerrigan go down for a large chunk of time, we don't miss a beat in terms of our edge pass rushing. In 2012, when we lost Orakpo, it took us forever to find the Rob Jackson/Kerrigan/exotic blitz combination to create pressure. I also LOVE feeling like, if Trent Williams were to go down, we have Compton who looked pretty good last offseason there and now Morgan Moses who could play there as well. Same goes for Kirk if Robert misses any time. 

I'm not as freaked out thinking about losing guys at other positions on the team, honestly. Except maybe at Safety, but that's more because of just how unfortunate we've been at that position since Sean's death. :(      

I don't have a problem with the player, it's that if the team wanted to draft Orakpo's replacement, it would have been better off using next year's #1 than this year's #2, especially since OLB is one place where a rook is not going to start.  Next year there will be some saliva-worthy OLB sitting at our draft spot (hopefully a bit lower than this year) and we'll either draft Kerrigan's replacement (face palm) or pass on him because we got our guy this year, even though next year's guy is clearly better.

Archived