Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

performance in 3 code drill and 20 yard shuttle are way more important than 40 yard dash for linebackers in my opinion.

check out how close murphy is to JJ Watt in all of these... it's no wonder people are comparing them.

JJ Watt

40 yard dash: 4.84

20 yard shuttle: 4.21

3 cone drill: 6.88

Trent Murphy

40 yard dash: 4.86

20 yard shuttle: 4.20 (7th best in combine)

3 cone drill: 6.78 (2nd best in combine)

This guy is a MAJOR STEAL.

We should make him our starter and move Rak to special teams full time ;)

performance in 3 code drill and 20 yard shuttle are way more important than 40 yard dash for linebackers in my opinion.

check out how close murphy is to JJ Watt in all of these... it's no wonder people are comparing them.

JJ Watt

40 yard dash: 4.84

20 yard shuttle: 4.21

3 cone drill: 6.88

Trent Murphy

40 yard dash: 4.86

20 yard shuttle: 4.20 (7th best in combine)

3 cone drill: 6.78 (2nd best in combine)

This guy is a MAJOR STEAL.

We should make him our starter and move Rak to special teams full time ;)

Watt weighs like 290 pounds vs 250 for Murphy, so saying he's as fast as a big guy isn't saying much. Just saying.

Watt weighs like 290 pounds vs 250 for Murphy, so saying he's as fast as a big guy isn't saying much. Just saying.

Size doesn't really matter nearly as much in the shuttle and 3 cone drill as it does in the 40, as evidenced by the fact that his shuttle was 7th best in the combine and 3 cone drill was 2nd best. The more I watch of him play, the happier I am with the pick. His handwork is top notch, he has long arms, great instincts ala Kerrigan, and looks very good at stacking and shedding to get to the ball carrier. Lots of TFL also. I think he could be a big time steal.

Size doesn't really matter nearly as much in the shuttle and 3 cone drill as it does in the 40,

The bigger you are, the harder it is to change momentum. It's more impressive that Watt can move like Murphy, and not the other way around. I just don't like the comparison.

same ole redskin fans... Thinking they know the draft board and players better than the guys who get paid to make the choices....

"Oh, but i watched him play a couple games and watched internet 'film' on him so I'm qualified to say whats a good pick or not"

ridiculous.  

More ridiculous than coming in to a venue which was set up for the purpose of allowing people to express their opinions, and posting a message whose sole point is to argue that no one should be expressing any opinions? 

:)

I think I might love this guy. I really like how he blew up his final year when it was believed he'd peaked.

Love any player with a non stop motor. That, combined with his physical gifts, makes me think he'll be a good one.

I'm guessing the weight won't be an issue. From what I've seen and read his body could easily add weight without sacrificing other stuff. I think the Skins trainers will have him put on another 10-15 lbs of muscle. It is much harder to learn technique than it is to put on muscle mass, and his technique, especially with his hands, is very good.

Seems like a very raw version of Ryan Kerrigan. Will need to learn a lot to start, but, hopefully he'll have most of next year to learn.

I would say the opposite. His technique is more refined than Kerrigan's coming out of the draft. I know I keep harping on it, but this guy's hand technique is pretty sick.

He looks like a very solid player and if he's half the player Jared Allen or J.J. Watt are I'm happy we drafted him. That said he will not be the replacement for Orakpo, if anything he's Kerrigan's replacement. Murphy looks to be more suited for the LOLB position. I do hope though we get to keep all three of these guys and find a way to get them all on the field at the same time.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/7599/scouting-report-redskins-lb-trent-murphy

The plan was to watch linebacker Trent Murphy before the draft, knowing that he would be a possibility with the second pick in the third round. But there were a handful of other pass rushers to get to before him. So I never made it. And then they drafted him. So now here’s a mini-scouting report on the Redskins second-round pick (47th overall). 

[+] Enlargencf_u_murphy1x_200x300.jpg
Gary A. Vasquez/USA TODAY SportsStanford linebacker Trent Murphy is a disciplined, if not splashy, choice for the Redskins.

What I liked: Excellent production and solid all-around player. Terrific hands in the pass rush and helped him shed blocks in run support, too. Keeps them tight; quick hands, too. His sacks and pressures not just the result of QBs holding onto the ball. Had one against Michigan State in which he beat the left tackle to the outside with his hands, squeezed inside a (horrible) block by the running back and sacked the quarterback in 2.6 seconds. Saw others in that range as well. Another took 3.3 against USC. Good variety of moves (has a spin move). Understands how to play with leverage --in both the pass and run game -- and when he did, would shed blocks in the run game and get tackles for a loss. Saw him get triple teamed on occasion against USC and Michigan State. Saw two blockers on him a number of times --whether assigned double teams or a guard/running back/tight end helping out. Lined up all over: as an end on either side in a three- or four-point stance; as a standup linebacker on either side. Disciplined rusher; did not see him lose his gap or freelance. Didn’t see him fooled; saw him locate the ball well. 

Against both USC and Michigan State -- close games -- Murphy made some of his bigger plays late so the motor runs strong all game. Seems to understand angles. Showed good movement in coverage; the Redskins say he’s a fluid athlete and I would agree. Doesn’t mean he’s a great athlete, but he moves well. Saw him drop in zone; saw him cover backs and tight ends one-on-one. Can’t say he’s great here, but he did move fine. Plays special teams. Saw him rushing the punter and was on field goal protection. In fact, in the Michigan State game, he caught a pass on a failed attempt (nullified by a penalty). Did not see him get taken out of a play by double teams in the run game. 

What I didn’t: Is not a great athlete and will not beat linemen with his burst or his speed. Ran the 40-yard dash in 4.86 seconds at the combine. There were times when tackles recovered on moves that should have resulted in greater pressure. If he got you with his hands initially, then watch out. If not, athletic and long-armed tackles would recover. Rounds off his rushes at times, similar to Ryan Kerrigan; in some cases that was because he was rushing to contain (against Oregon, for example). But in other cases it just helped the tackles recover. No explosive moments; it’s just not his game. Has good height at 6-foot-5, but could probably stand to add another 10 pounds or so to play outside and hold up against the run long-term. 

Scout's take: One scout provided this assessment of Murphy's game: "An old-fashioned SAM linebacker, not very quick but productive. Not flashy, smart, big but slow twitch as a rusher." 

Summary: A lot to like about Murphy, though I don’t know if there’s anything that makes you say, ‘Wow’ or makes you jump up and down. Hence: mid-to-late second rounder. That’s not a bad thing necessarily; it just means he’s not explosive. You need to let his game marinate in your mind a little bit because there are a lot of things he does well. Was he a reach? I don't know; I know what some experts say (some of whom had certain guys rated high who remained on the board in the third or are still undrafted, so who knows?) I know the Redskins liked him before the draft so it really only depends how their board stacked up. He can be a productive player and he’ll be helped by being able to play off better rushers, drawing more solo matchups. He can help on special teams and should add toughness and smarts at the position. It does mean that Brandon Jenkins and Rob Jacksonhave some work to do. Is he Brian Orakpo's eventual replacement? Not sold on that one yet. If the Redskins find a way to get their starters and Murphy on the field a lot and all are productive, then why break that up?

It's because they're WHITE!!!!!!!!

No one likes it when a thread goes this route, but maybe it's about time everyone just realizes (for the most part), white dudes play/move like white dudes and black dudes play/move like black dudes.  It's not the skin color that gives it away though, the dudes could be wearing full body leotards or whatever, and you could maybe guess "oh that's a white dude".  (ok that may be a stretch, but still...in the small circle of NCAA/NFL athletes, you see similarities, no doubt)

It's not hateful.  Doesn't mean one's better than the other.  It's just the nature of....the world I guess.  It's not a big deal and I wish people wouldn't get so worked up about it.

I wasn't sure about the pick bc I'd never seen him play but the more I read, the more I like it. His coach at Stanford says Murphy was the nastiest attitude player on the team. Something our defense is in desperate need of. You can never have too many pass rushers...

I think some people might want to consider this is actually a potential replacement for Kerrigan and not Orakpo. If they choose to resign Orakpo, Brandon Jenkins and Murphy will allow them to still have potential and performance without paying Kerrigan 7-8 mil a year like he'll likely get (if not more). Murphy has the potential to match Kerrigan's production during a time where Kerrigan is going to get an extension. Likewise if they do let Orakpo go, then he could at least give them production there but at a rookie wage cost.

Murphy can also be a nice rusher in situations when Orakpo or Kerrigan is gassed. Either way, I think he has potential to be a very good player.

Why are people comparing him to Watt? He is literally nothing like him. Completely different players.

I'm watching a little bit of highlights of him and he's not speedy like Kerrigan, he just gets after people. Height, size, even hand size is identical to JJ Watt but I think he's a little less powerful.

Archived