Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

Breaking news says Murphy was almost kicked off the stanford team for being too rough with Luck during practice. I'm coming around on this guy.

On nfl.com they had a video where they were interviewing him over the phone and asked him if he is looking forward to sacking Luck and he said yes because they wouldn't let him get within 20 feet of Luck at Stanford. lol. But he said they were good friends though. 

On nfl.com they had a video where they were interviewing him over the phone and asked him if he is looking forward to sacking Luck and he said yes because they wouldn't let him get within 20 feet of Luck at Stanford. lol. But he said they were good friends though.

Wonder what the reaction will be if he gets too rough with RG3.

Huh, weird. From his quotes in the Press Release he seemed to say the opposite but then at the end talked about putting his hand down.  *shrug*

On his position preference between outside linebacker and defensive end:

“Definitely as probably an outside linebacker. I guess it depends on the situational down or what scheme they’re in at the moment, but as like a stand up two-point outside backer, putting my hand down and sealing that edge, is where I’d like to be.”

Lol.  He's either confused or completely indifferent.

my dream scenario is murphy plays well, so does orakpo, we trade kerrigan for a 1st and reup orakpo.

Eh.  Not sure if my dream scenario includes keeping a 29 year-old over a 27 year-old when the 2015 season starts.  I'm really hoping Kerrigan benefits from working with Brian Baker, so he can develop more moves than just the bull rush.

I gotta admit when we picked Murphy I was scratching my head. After a few days, reading about this kid, his attitude, his drive and how he became the player he is I feel alot more confident...

You cannot coach heart...go get em Trent!

What did he do to get a "Goodbye there"? Just curious, so I dont do it....

He's victim of what you're falling into right now---not learning and following the rules as you agree to do when you register your account.

Example in your post above---see second paragraph in particular, and don't be concerned ^_^ you're not "in trouble"---this is a "learning opportunity" as they say  :lol: for you and other folks, new or just unaware:

If you have a disagreement with an action regarding your account, you may PM a moderator. Please be patient waiting for a reply. Members should use the Feedback Forum for any general comments you may have regarding board management on any matter. Do not engage in "hijacking" a thread by commenting on such matters in off-topic fashion within a thread.

It is also suggested that if a moderator's action doesn't directly involve you, then it's best to consider it none of your business. Normally, we will not discuss matters involving moderator actions on one member with some other member just because they ask, or have an opinion on the matter.

Moderators may, however, make such material available in a thread if they so choose, or may solicit such feedback in a thread, if they determine it appropriate.

It does take a little effort IMO, and I recommend doing it over time. Our rules and guideline pages is detailed for very good reasons. The stuff you need to know is there. 

To answer your question here this time, despite a large crowd regularly clamoring for his head (with fair enough reason) for months, staff worked hard to try to keep this former member from self-immolation. He had received several warnings (not always the case) and had conversations with staff regarding rule 12, specifically. Much slack was given for a long time, for reasons staff found valid, but after enough "abuse" of that slack in our view, the lever was pulled. Unless you've been "following" his posting history for a long time, you wouldn't likely know such was occurring, or even if you did follow it, you may not even share the staff's views (gasp!) on rule implementation. Amazingly enough on the internet, just like in real life with real people, that does happen.  :D

I return you to your regular programming with apologies for the interruption.

staff worked hard to try to keep this former member from self-immolation.

And what's up with self-immolation anyway? I've always been intrigued(?), perplexed(?), fascinated(?) -- not sure what the right word is --by the idea that someone would not only be willing to end their existence but to do it in the most painful way possible as a form of protest.

I didn't know people actually cackled...thought that was something only witches in fairytales did lol...

Lol...I figured the description was appropriate given my (seemingly) random outburst:

cack·ledcack·ling \-k(ə-)liŋ\

intransitive verb

1 :to make the sharp broken noise or cry characteristic of a hen especially after laying

2 :to laugh especially in a harsh or sharp manner

***special attention to #2.

Since we are all going off of sheer unvarnished speculation, no, I don't think Murphy will translate well into a DE.  He is a linebacker, specifically an OLB in a 3-4 defense.  He probably can transition well to an ILB in a 3-4, in a pinch or less.  Orakpo would be better at DE at this point.  He has a better burst.

But heck.  When all is said and done on the unvarnished speculation side, we can all agree that we got a mean, polished, Stamford trained LB that is as big as Gibralter.

I'm sure we can find a place for him.

You guys should check out Cooley's film break down on Murphy.  It's archived on ESPN 980.  It's during the 3rd hour, around the 20 minute mark from "The Drive" on 5/14/14.  Cooley has a man crush on Murphy.  I really respect Cooley's analysis because he's very detailed with his explanations and doesn't come across as a homer.  He's very critical at times when analyzing players.  He loves Murphy.

Members understand why I list Trent in my top ten plus five.  The public reading this will think it’s crazy or stupid, but Trent had the most sacks this year in all of college football.  All I can tell you is when Brian Urlacher came out in the draft most teams were not sure what position he would play at the next level.  When Clay Mathews came out and I had him listed in my top ten most people didn’t know what position he would play either.  Now Trent comes out and most are not sure what position he will play at the next level.  I will say what I said when Clay and Brian came out in their drafts:  Don’t worry, just draft him and he will find what position he will impact at all by himself.  

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/huddlenotes/?p=1421

You guys should check out Cooley's film break down on Murphy.  It's archived on ESPN 980.  It's during the 3rd hour, around the 20 minute mark from "The Drive" on 5/14/14.  Cooley has a man crush on Murphy.  I really respect Cooley's analysis because he's very detailed with his explanations and doesn't come across as a homer.  He's very critical at times when analyzing players.  He loves Murphy.

Cooley did seem to have a tough time singing his praises through all the drooling he was doing.

I love it.  The fact that Murphy has multiple pass rush moves TODAY versus "maybe in a year or two" puts him light years ahead of everybody else, both in the draft and on the team.  People have been criticizing him because he doesn't always set up his spins and swims well, but considering the fact that most pass rushers don't even have those moves in the first place, he's already a (BIG) step ahead of the competition.

If we assume that we don't sink 20M into 2 OLBs year-to-year with *maybe* the exception of 2015 (if Orakpo gets a new deal with Kerrigan's option) odds are Murphy will be starter #2, and by his 3rd year he should be pretty great at setting up those moves and then executing.

From Keim:

@john_keim eager to see how they use T Murphy. Can you go over the freq. and situations where they used 3+ OLBs last yr? #redskinsmailbag

Keim: They used those looks in nickel packages, but you can’t really compare it to last season. They wanted Brandon Jenkins to have a bigger role in this area, but he was rarely active because of his special teams play. And Darryl Tapp was better against the run than the pass, so they weren’t going to do it a lot with him. Rob Jackson is an OK pass-rusher at best. What helps for the Redskins is that Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Brian Orakpo all can rush from a variety of positions: from an up position, down, on either side and in the middle. That will enable them to work Murphy in even more.

I find it interesting that one of the tweets to Keim talked about Murphy's "low ceiling."

I really don't see how his ceiling is low.  He's got a variety of moves, and is physically HUGE.  If he can learn to set up those moves, I feel like the sky's the limit for him.

What I guess Keim is saying is that he isn't a physical freak of nature like a guy of Clowney's caliber. But who gives two ****s? The guy has more pass rush moves than many current NFL players, he seals the edge like a boss, his handwork is great, and he seems to have a very natural and instinctive understanding of leverage. Watch his videos; you won't see a guy get under his pads. 

Archived