Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

What I guess Keim is saying is that he isn't a physical freak of nature like a guy of Clowney's caliber. But who gives two ****s? The guy has more pass rush moves than many current NFL players, he seals the edge like a boss, his handwork is great, and he seems to have a very natural and instinctive understanding of leverage. Watch his videos; you won't see a guy get under his pads.

Yeah, I think Keim is (at least partially) talking about room for growth. Some guys need a lot more polishing, Murphy doesn't.

Opinions whether someone likes a pick or not is fine, but when people start "poopooing" a player because it's not the player they wanted, I have an issue with that. Sure, he may not be the guy I necessarily wanted either but I trust the coaching staff and their plan and will welcome whoever they choose to bring on this team. I think it's unfair to judge a player who hasnt played a down for us, but that's just me.

I personally like the pick, and though he may lack the "sizzle" of other players that were sitting there at that spot, I think he's the type of guy you want on your defense.

hopefully he can make those people who doubt him change their mind a little, but they e already talked about bulking him up a little and he's already strong as an ox, so all there's left to do is watch him play.

Jared Allen Jr.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Jared-Allen-A-Decade-of-Dominance/34a84c23-7e17-4d57-acf3-5730d4da0a56

http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Trent-Murphy-Im-Loving-It-So-Far/af159aa6-cc53-4abc-8da0-a415a82d3ff1

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/18/redskins-learning-curve-not-steep-trent-murphy/

“[Murphy is] great off the snap and if you have quickness off the snap and you have great length, you make up for a lot of your speed deficiency,” Gruden said. “He’s got a wide variety of moves and Coach Baker’s only going to make him better and better. He’s got a long way to go, but we’re excited to work with a guy that’s 6-foot-5-and-a-half and with room to get bigger and stronger and has the arsenal of moves that he has.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/7873/david-shaw-murphy-productive-tough

Shaw said he once asked Murphy, a quiet guy early in his career, what he thought. Murphy went into detail on a handful of offensive players and what he learned watching them.

“I asked one question and he talked for three or four minute and mentioned five players who tipped their hands,” Shaw said. “That’s the moment where you say, this guy knows how to study film and takes great notes. You add length, determination and athleticism and knowing how to study and you got yourself a good player.”

• 4 months later...

Lotta naysayers based on limited action. I saw him shed a block, roll of and stuff sweep run yesterday. Looked solid, didn't see whole game for first time all year. I said before game I've seen enough KC to venture out, sure enough so did HC

• 10 months later...

I'm bumping this thread, --I wanted to create a new thread on Trent Murphy, but I'm not certain on whether this thread's existence means I shouldn't create a new one. (Maybe the mods can clear this up for me, at some point).

My comment: I was watching Murphy in the Miami game, and I was underwhelmed. He seemed slow, hesitant, oftentimes wrong-footed, and I saw nothing that 'special' from him.

And yet I hear how he was a beast in pre-season, and even Cooley gave him a nice grade. Barry and Gruden seem to like him too.

Am I missing something? Is it because I don't see how Murphy has some kind of 'read and react' role? Or is he supposed to pulling blockers away from Robinson and Hatcher?

I would like to hear from ES'ers why folks think he's doing well. I sensed he's not the kind of guy going after individual accolades -- and maybe it's because Trent's willing to remain low profile in a support team role. I even noted how Murphy's teammates were even giving him hand-slaps, but I couldn't see what he had done that was so good.

I would really appreciate others' analyses on this -- because I really would like to think that Murphy wasn't a wasted draft-pick.

Comments please -- especially from those who see something good out of Murphy's production.

I'm bumping this thread, --I wanted to create a new thread on Trent Murphy, but I'm not certain on whether this thread's existence means I shouldn't create a new one. (Maybe the mods can clear this up for me, at some point).

Could've went with a new thread, but this works as well. 

As always, it's about the content. And your post was definitely worthy. :)

As lots of people said last season, if he bulks up to play inside he could be really good.  He just doesn't have the speed to get to a (decent) QB from the edge.

IIRC he is in that bulking up process and if/when he gets there I expect he will be a real playmaker, until then he is good at setting the edge in the run game and on passing downs can move inside where he switches from slow (for the position) to quick.

I do like him as a football player he just doesn't have a position, yet.

To show my lack of football acumen, I'd also like to see him dabble as an inline TE if he has good hands.  I think mentally he can handle pretty much anything football wise.

To add to my stoopid, if Preston Smith has good hands his catch radius would be huge with that wingspan.  Red zone.

I would really appreciate others' analyses on this -- because I really would like to think that Murphy wasn't a wasted draft-pick.

Comments please -- especially from those who see something good out of Murphy's production.

Eh, sometimes teams inflate player value a bit for potential trades. And maybe he was killing it in the off-season.

But on the field he definitely reminds me of the trashcan Warrick Holdman. 

Eh, sometimes teams inflate player value a bit for potential trades. And maybe he was killing it in the off-season.

But on the field he definitely reminds me of the trashcan Warrick Holdman.

I've read that he pretty much owned Brandon Albert all day. That's one reason Hatcher was living in the backfield.

He sets the edge well and is good on screens and wide runs. Doesn't get pushed around.

I was hoping his PR would improve.

I do recall a play where he was fighting his blocker and kind of just stopped trying. It was about the time tannehill threw a pass but still, what if he was pump faking, what if the ball was tipped.

It's the thing you hear about Kerrigan, with his "high motor" and "never stops" and the basic "play till the whistle". It wasn't Haynesworth take a nap bad, but it wasn't encouraging.

Archived