Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

51 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

We can still come to the conclusion that he wasn't worth a 2nd on our own without parroting media scouts? He's not a 2nd rounder because nothing he has done has shown that it was anything other than a mistake to draft him that high. 

Of course you can.  But a lot of fans cannot form their own opinions (not saying you can't) and just go with what was parroted to the them.  If in your eyes, he wasn't worth the 2nd round pick, then why are you expecting him to play like a 2nd round pick.  He's in his third season and sometimes for player, the light doesn't go on until the 3rd or 4th season. I'd say at least give him this year to see what he can do and if he busts, he busts. Can't cry over spilt milk. Next man up.

51 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That's all well and good but a team full of Trent Murphys or just "football players" is going to get their teeth kicked in on Sunday. he has had to also find, at minimum, "good" football players if we ever want to get better, especially with 1st or 2nd Rd picks where the talent pool is greater. I just don't think Murphy is a good example of the football player strategy 

Scot helped build 3 championship teams on "football players."  Obviously he picked "good" ones.  Trent was not his pick.

47 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He's just a guy to me, one that could be easily replaced. He isn't quality depth he's an average player that knows the system. Scot should be drafting players as good as Murphy with his eyes closed, if he is as good a GM as we hope he is 

Yeah, I can see that perspective and understand where it comes from but, like I said before, that's where we disagree. 

I absolutely think he's quality depth and think he's more than what you say just from his ability to stop the run alone. He's very good at edge setting. Having him as a backup/rotational OLB is a luxury, really. 

Add on to that the fact that he does make some plays here and there in the pass rushing department (3.5 sacks, 1 FF last season on a rotational basis), is a good Special Teams player and does everything asked of him... so while, like you, I wouldn't claim him worthy of a 2nd round grade, I'd assign him a value of a 3rd to 4th rounder easily. 

Why does anyone care where he was drafted? Bash 4rth, Norman 5th, Compton and Baker, undrafted. Entire team is full of guys from all through the draft. 

Draft ends, it ends. Some guys flash right away, some don't, some take time, some are great team players, like Golston.

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why does anyone care where he was drafted? Bash 4rth, Norman 5th, Compton and Baker, undrafted. Entire team is full of guys from all through the draft. 

Draft ends, it ends. Some guys flash right away, some don't, some take time, some are great team players, like Golston.

I can see why they care from a team or organizational standpoint... Like, how did we end up with that grade on said player, what did we assess incorrectly, where did we go wrong in the scouting process, etc... 

But I'm totally with you when it comes to the critiquing of the player himself. He didn't force the team to take him where they did and as long as he's not slacking or taking advantage of his draft pedigree, I just don't get why that's considered a fault against them in any way. Or even used to assess what they bring to the team. 

For instance, David Amerson deserved to be criticized for his failures and his draft round is a factor because he was slacking off, probably assuming the team wouldn't cut him because of where he was picked. So I could see why it'd be legit to bring it up with him. 

But guys like Murphy and Grant? They're coachable, work very hard by all accounts, and are good teammates. If they were drafted too high and can't live up to those expectations, that's on the team, not them.  And we should be able to evaluate them without that being a factor. 

I completely agree with TSO on this - fans fed supper wound up about draft picks always working out exactly as we hope ... 

For all the complaints about Murphy I think a lot of commentary on daft day was beeland and was a guy who needed to stay in collage and was over drafted ... Same draft same scouts but one hell of a player... 

The draft is nothing more than a lottery full of scratch off player potential . When you build your team you need to build it with good football players regardless of where they come from . 

Take the situation at nickel CB . Deshaun Phillips appears to have an edge over 3rd round rookie Kendall Fuller .. Philips was undrafted in 2014 and spent time with the Cowboys and the Jets before spending time in 2015 on the practice sqaud with us . Get players where ever you can .

if draft value was all important then  breeland would still be toiling away behind the likes of David Amerson and we would never have moved on from RGIII given the amount of draft capital we spent . 

At the end of the day you can only draft players who are available , Murph was a late round second round pick and was brought in as a backup (both orakpo and Kerrigan entrenched as starters) - it would have been awesome to see him bloom into a starter but it is how it goes ... I actually still think his best chance is on the line but that will have to wait a little longer

Look at the going rate for players who fans/teams give up on.

Dorial Green-Beckham (40th overall) traded for a 5th round back-up swing tackle.

Be careful what you wish for.  At least Murphy brings his lunch pail to practice and work.  Great team guy, extremely hard worker.  Some of you are making him out to be like Highway #57.

3 hours ago, PlayAction said:

The Skins moved him to DE because he wasn't quick enough to make it as OLB.  The fact that the Skins moved him back to OLB means (to me) that he wasn't good enough to make it as DE.  Too bad - - he's a hard worker but I'm not sure he fits anywhere.

No, it means we're thin at OLBer with the Gallette injury and stacked at DE with Hood, Reyes, Paea, Ricky Jean et al. 

Archived