Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

The Redskins made a good move in trading down.

But how can you select a guy for a 3-13 football team whose main role in 2014 is going to be as a backup?

Either way you look at Murphy from a draft perspective I don't get it:

1. Need = this was far from the most pressing need on this football team.

2. Value = I don't think anyone can tell me with a straight face that Murphy was indeed the 'best player available' at 47 overall.

3. Fit = The guy runs a 4.8 and projects better to being a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 outside linebacker.

I turned the TV off after we selected this pick. Seriously? I saw Polumbus' name more on National TV than RGIII because he was always chasing the guy who just sped by him. I'm not an expert on talent, but we could have had our choice of a number of studs that slid who were graded at 1st round picks had we not traded with Dallas. Or just went with BPA.

I think the Redskins have 'linebacker-itis' the way that the Lions a few years ago had 'wide receiver-itis'  :)

Orakpo (#1 pick), Kerrigan (#1 pick), Murphy (#2 pick).

Similar to the Lions pulling out 3 first round wide receivers in 4 years.

The problem with this pick is that while it is indeed possible that Orakpo is gone after 2014 and we will need a replacement, the truth is there are positions on this team where we don't have a quality starter or any quality development prospects RIGHT NOW.

And those spots continue to be ignored to add to present areas of strength.

I think the Redskins have 'linebacker-itis' the way that the Lions a few years ago had 'wide receiver-itis'  :)

Orakpo (#1 pick), Kerrigan (#1 pick), Murphy (#2 pick).

Similar to the Lions pulling out 3 first round wide receivers in 4 years.

The problem with this pick is that while it is indeed possible that Orakpo is gone after 2014 and we will need a replacement, the truth is there are positions on this team where we don't have a quality starter or any quality development prospects RIGHT NOW.

And those spots continue to be ignored to add to present areas of strength.

LOL -- I wrote something similar and deleted it.

Thanks for snagging the baton. lol

I tune out draft talk every year. It's always the same -- people get focused on specific positions and specific man-crushes and make all sorts of assumptions, working themselves up into frothing, quivering piles of indignant rage.

People were PISSED that we didn't take Rambo in the second last year. Of course, that's long forgotten. People only remember when they were correct.

Having said that, I doubt this is who we would have picked at 34. They may have been hoping an OT they liked would be around and he wasn't. I can't fault them for trading, though, because ideally that's what you do when there are a bunch of players you like.

The next Jared Allen???  :)

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/trent-murphy-1.html Stats

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665100/trent-murphy

STRENGTHS: Possesses a surprisingly lean, country-strong frame with broad shoulders, a trim middle and long limbs with plenty of room for additional muscle mass. Lined up the majority of the time out of the two-point stance, showing fair speed off the corner in this role. Has a high, choppy back-pedal but gains ground quickly due to his long legs and has surprisingly fluid hips to turn and run with potential receivers. Shows better burst off the ball out of the three-point stance, timing the snap well and showing natural explosiveness in his legs to spring forward. Uses his hands well, including a very effective club and shoulder dip to efficiently cross the face of pass-blockers. Possesses at least fair closing speed, as well as vision and anticipation to stalk the ball-carrier, often meeting them as they attempt to flee rather than missing them deeper in the backfield. Instinctive defender. Locates the ball and is a high-motor player. Functional flexibility. Recognizes cut-blocks and sprawls well, using his hands to knock down defenders and keeping his eyes up to react to the quick-throw. Plays with a degree of toughness and physicality that every coach will appreciate... A former steer-wrestler and plays with this mentality.

WEAKNESSES: Will be viewed by many as a classic 'tweener. Does not possess the muscled-up frame teams are expecting as a defensive lineman nor the straight-line speed expected of a linebacker. Has been surrounded by other instinctive and physical players throughout his career at Stanford and Murphy's lack of ideal "juice" was evident against the better athletes at the Senior Bowl.

COMPARES TO: Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings -- Through hard work, Allen (selected No. 126 overall by Kansas City) has made himself into a perennial Pro Bowler but I scouted him in person at the East-West Shrine Game in 2004 and it was far from a consensus that the Idaho State product would develop into this caliber of player, especially after he lifted 225 pounds just 13 times at the Combine. At a rangy 6-5, 252 pounds, Murphy doesn't necessarily project well to a classic 4-3 alignment or even the 3-4 scheme in which he starred for the Cardinal but like Allen (6-5, 260), he's one of the tougher, more ornery players I've come across. I think he'll ultimately out-play his draft selection, though not necessarily to the staggering degree as Allen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAAyPFSdj44

The concern is that the 15 sacks he racked up in college is production that will not translate to the NFL because of his athletic limitations and the better caliber of competition game to game.

To me the worst thing you can say about a guy is he is a 'tweener' because that in essence means he's too slow for one spot and too small for another.

I just don't get taking a player that fits that description so high.

A high to middle second round pick should translate more readily to his NFL position.

Archived