Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

i wasn't to happy with this pick at first for several reasons... One of them being the same reason he's probably upset for coming to Washington. He's got to beat out two pro bowl outside linebackers to even see the field.

But after researching this guy I'm being swayed a little more. Now he's still not the BPA at the spot we picked him, but I see a true football player on tape. He'll push RaK and Kerrigan and I see some moves and techiques in college by Murphy that neither of our current OLB possessed in college.

Take a look at this video of his JUNIOR season. No music, no special affects , just the eye in the sky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKf8QsA6-E

Almost exactly same specs as J.J. Watt. Same hand size, height, just a little lighter. ESPN mentioned his Dad being 6'7''(?) and brothers 6'10'' and 6'9''(?)

Sounds like he's got the whole world.... In his hands  :D

Hopefully he can come in, and help us become a better defense.

And Hot Pockets  is a godawful nickname. Needs a new one asap.

Already has some, Rhino and Yeti. I like Yeti

I can't say our draft is off to a good start. This pick is curious and has to leave you wondering.

Wondering what?  That our FO is actually stupid and doesn't know anything about football?  That they're purposefully trying to sabotage the team?

The people making these draft decisions have forgotten more about football than all of ES combined will ever know.  So just stop.  None of you would say any of this to Bruce Allen's face, you're just whining like children.  (mainly referring to the nonsense in the other thread).

The ****ing and moaning about not doing enough in FA, then we get DeSean Jackson.

The ****ing and moaning about not drafting (insert offensive lineman, who cares who he is), then we draft a couple lineman.

So irritating.  The guy is now a professional football player for YOUR favorite team.  His dream has come true, he can't wait to play for YOUR city and YOU, and some of you just say:  "ehhh , mehhhh, he's probably not that good, what a waste of a pick."

**** that.  You're not allowed to cheer when he makes a play.

-again, this thread is mostly positive, I hate for this rant to look out of place, but y'all know who you are.

surprised at the negative responses by many.  this young man is a proto typical hybrid def end, outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense.  I am a big fan of Alabama and their defense using the big olbs in this manner, a pro set that wins.  murphy was one of the best in the country doing this rushing, and defending the short pass all year in the pac 12.  set school records, pac 12 record for 2013.  260 pounds, 6ft 6inch and mean.  we need his aggression, and toughness on the corner, and rushing the qb.  expect him to be exceptional in two years. 

i wasn't to happy with this pick at first for several reasons... One of them being the same reason he's probably upset for coming to Washington. He's got to beat out two pro bowl outside linebackers to even see the field.

But after researching this guy I'm being swayed a little more. Now he's still not the BPA at the spot we picked him, but I see a true football player on tape. He'll push RaK and Kerrigan and I see some moves and techiques in college by Murphy that neither of our current OLB possessed in college.

Take a look at this video of his JUNIOR season. No music, no special affects , just the eye in the sky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKf8QsA6-E

I love the comments as much as the video lol...

"Dallas better draft Trent Murphy, he would be a player on the other side of Demarcus Ware that can scare or terrorize other QB's. him and D-Ware would improve the Cowboys pass rush"

"nope, eagles are getting him "

"sorry fellas I believe he's going to be wearing red and pewter next yr. in Tampa"

"Okay Chicago Bears, feel free to take him in the 2nd round if he is still there ! Looks like a smart, tough, instinctive defensive end !"

"chip kelly quote " big people beat up little people"........ opposite of connor barwin trent murphy can drop back in coverage trent cole struggled. chip looks at the pac 12 before any other division ...22nd pick goes to Trent Murphy"

"Hopefully the Bears can get this guy in the 2nd Round. Our D-Line would be drastically improved with him, Jernigan(hopefully), Lamarr Houston, and Willie Young lethal pass rush all day"

"ATL all day"

"looks like a white demarcus ware cowboys should take him at 16 and go def tackle 2nd rnd.this guy is worth a 16th pick."

"Dallas is very high on this guy, trade back and draft him in the late 20s."

"top 15-20 pick in 2014 if he stays healthy. The defensive line of Stanford is coached better than some NFL teams. They are all so technically sound and almost NFL ready."

"Raiders should take this monster instead of Clowney why you ask? Well I have a feeling if we take Clowney he's gonna be a bust!"

"future viking 15th pick overall"

"I hope he's a Viking too, but hopefully more like the 25th pick"

"Damn, his rip move is unbeatable. Gotta love his motor."

"Sets the edge extremely well. Id take him over Barr or Shazier."

"I feel bad that he's at the same position as Clowney, because this guy is unreal, and doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves."

"Hes not getting a great jump but yet hes still beating his man. Uses his hands very well"

"For a guy who is what? 6'6'?' he plays OLB effectively. Amazing.."

"Future Dallas Cowboy."

Did not know a lot about this guy before we drafted him, but like what I'm reading and seeing on tape. Maybe not the greatest athlete at the OLB position but the guy looks like a very good football player and you can never have too many of those. Looks like a guy with some toughness and attitude as well and we need more of that on our defense.

Welcome to the Redskins.

Honestly way more disconcerting than the pick itself could ever be is that there were beat writers all over our interest in OLB in round 2 for weeks before the draft. Which is disheartening due to the inherent lack of secrecy it implies as well as the possibility that we were zeroed in on an OLB no matter who fell. But there's no way to prove that second part.

Either way, tighten up that ship, Bruce. Jesus.

Honestly way more disconcerting than the pick itself could ever be is that there were beat writers all over our interest in OLB in round 2 for weeks before the draft. Which is disheartening due to the inherent lack of secrecy it implies as well as the possibility that we were zeroed in on an OLB no matter who fell. But there's no way to prove that second part.

Either way, tighten up that ship, Bruce. Jesus.

Orrrrr... it was a brilliant stroke of genius and exactly what made Dallas jump up to give us their second and third rounder out of the fear that we'd take the OLB they wanted?

Just like what we did to the Jags with Blaine Gabbert in 2011. 

We will never know, but the trade down did happen and the Cowboys did take an OLB. I think I'm leaning towards "brilliant", for now at least. :)

Or maybe they felt that they had a good idea about who was going to go in the 1st round and that there would be a bunch of guys left at that position who we really liked? Lot of ways to look at this without assuming they weren't picking BPA like they said or have too many unintended leaks.  

same ole redskin fans... Thinking they know the draft board and players better than the guys who get paid to make the choices....

"Oh, but i watched him play a couple games and watched internet 'film' on him so I'm qualified to say whats a good pick or not"

ridiculous.  

Great pick. Gives us another pass rusher to put on the field with Rak, Kerrigan and Hatcher.

6'5 252 definitely a big long armed lber. This reminds me of the Kerrigan pick. Fans will come to love this guy I have a feeling.

Oh and he lead the nation with 15 sacks last year.

Great first pick by our front office.

same ole redskin fans... Thinking they know the draft board and players better than the guys who get paid to make the choices....

"Oh, but i watched him play a couple games and watched internet 'film' on him so I'm qualified to say whats a good pick or not"

ridiculous.  

Believe it or not, but sometimes the fans get it right and the funny thing is so does the FO.

I mean, if you get 15 sacks, you have to be some kind of athlete, right?

I'll admit, I knew nothing of the guy until we drafted him.  With as many problems as our defense has, another guy who can get pressure on the QB isn't a bad thing.  We absolutely NEED depth. 

I'm not mad at the pick, not am I excited. 

ridiculous.  

I come here for the laughs on draft day.  And it's the exact same thing every year.

I come here for the laughs on draft day.  And it's the exact same thing every year.

Agreed, it's a rite of spring. Dozens of people that would get their asses kicked by Pop Warner players screaming and spewing at the pros who run the franchise are as dependable as daffodils or April showers.

Of course they quickly and conveniently forget their way-off-the-mark halfassery and go on to having tantrums at the media's prognostications about the upcoming season, often raving about how wrong they were last year and deserve to be called out. Funny

One of the things that stood out to me when watching some video of him is his hands. He seems very good at controlling the point of contact with the OT and moving the OT's hands away in order to get past. Looks to have good instincts as well. I don't care if the guy only runs a 4.8 in a straight line. That isn't what he is going to be asked to do. 

I'm so tired of white guys being called "high motor" guys.  HE LED THE NATION IN SACKS.  All those "highly athletic" guys has LESS SACKS.  I don't care if he runs a 4.8, if you watch him play football you'll see he actually makes plays so I could care less how fast he runs in a straight line.  How often does a linebacker or DE run in a straight line?  Plus, I just saw a video of him pick off a ball at the line of scrimmage and a wide receiver couldn't catch him before he got to the end zone.  GAME SPEED.  Dude plays like a beast, don't let the Mayocks of the world convince you to judge guys by their hips and muscles, it's getting silly at this point.

Archived